Unbelievable.... Sampire can kill faster then the time to cast Word of Death ? WOW....

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited December 2020 in General Discussions
This is something...

I was as usual at the Ilshenar Spawn trying to get a Statue drop.

I have pet (Triton with Armor Ignore and Chivalry) surrounded by 1 Blood Elemental and 4 Rotting Corpses. I have all 5 Health Bars up as I usually cast Word of Death when time comes (Focus 6) to speed up things....

Well, here comes a Sampire (I asked and he said yes) and one by one, the guy was killing all 5 MoBs faster then I could cast Word of Death !!

I mean, the Blood Elemental or Rotting Corpse was at half healf, I start casting Word of Death but, by the time I can target it with the cursor the Sampire had already killed it !!

And no, my pet was not helping with the fight because I did not have the time to switch the targeting as I was busy trying to get Word of Death up....

Yes, I have protection on, Faster Casting shows as 4 and Faster Cast Recovery shows as 6.

It either is that Word of Death is way too slow a spell or, that Sampires can kill too fast. Yes, he did have slayer on the Weapon and on the Enchantress Cameo that he/she was using.

And people keep trying to say that Warriors are not THE one and only Template that all players should play with, period, given the current game mechanics at work ?

Yeah right.....

Something needs be done to help players be able to play with a variety of Templates without suffering so much a set back in their ability to kill if they do not want to play a warrior....

Not to mention, that tamers have been plagued over the years by lots of nerfs... pets do half damage, MoBs always retarget making it difficult for the Tamer to stay there and heal the pet, MoBs do AoE damage making it almost impossible to use Veterinary to heal a pet, saved a few, rare exceptions, way slow casting spells make it harder for a Tamer to keep up helping one's own pet, pets always changing target even if the Tamer has 120 Animal Lore and 120 Animal Taming making it extremely annoying to always say All Kill and target the one Mob that one wants killed, the pet Ball of summoning having lots of places where it does not work, Tamers being revealed all the time and thus having a hard time being able to stay by their pet to help it, pets' pathfinding being very lacking, oddily enough, Paragons can very well go around ANYTHING and get to the player being targeted but a pet cannot use the same pathfinding that Paragons use and gets stuck anywhere and so easily ? And I could go on and on and on with stuff that makes playing a Tamer way less enjoyable and effective ....

And then one wonders why everyone uses a Warrior instead ?

Amazing....

Comments

• Word of death isn't meant to be a spell you use on mobs like that. Its a slow powerful spell that kills stuff with crazy resists and hit points. SW/Tamers are plenty powerful and there are lots of things they can solo that sampires cant. 
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Word of Death is an incredibly slow spell, much like the mage master death ray. However for sure no sampire hit could deliver that much raw damage all at once. (God help us if they ever get a bane mod sword weapon.) Without a ton of money into my SDI setup I can usually hit about 800+ damage on my tamer/spellweaver/mage while my chiv/ai pet is hitting with a ton of damage.

While I agree the scale is too far tilted towards the sampire/dragoon builds (I have two myself) I don't think the problem is necessarily in how long it takes to cast. If anything I believe the clumsiness of the magic/target interface and maybe the lack of power and purpose of lower spells is holding it back more than anything. 

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited December 2020
    Jepeth said:
    Word of Death is an incredibly slow spell, much like the mage master death ray. However for sure no sampire hit could deliver that much raw damage all at once. (God help us if they ever get a bane mod sword weapon.) Without a ton of money into my SDI setup I can usually hit about 800+ damage on my tamer/spellweaver/mage while my chiv/ai pet is hitting with a ton of damage.

While I agree the scale is too far tilted towards the sampire/dragoon builds (I have two myself) I don't think the problem is necessarily in how long it takes to cast. If anything I believe the clumsiness of the magic/target interface and maybe the lack of power and purpose of lower spells is holding it back more than anything. 

Well, I checked and Blood Elementals have some 316 - 369 hit points (https://www.uoguide.com/Blood_Elemental) while Rotting Corpses have some 1200 hit points (https://www.uoguide.com/Rotting_Corpse).

This means that, the Sampire was able in 1 to 3 hits or so to do some 180 damage to the Blood Elemental and 600 damage to the Rotting Corpses BEFORE I could get my Word of Death spell up to target the Blood Elemental or Rotting Corpses....

Well, at 1.25 seconds per swing plus all the buffs that they are carrying, it is no surprise that warriors can deliver way, but way more damage then a Tamer can through a pet.....

Yet, Tamers over the Years have been nerfed like crazy.....

If we want to see more variety of Templates being used by players and not just Warriors, I think that things should be more equalized and these Templates be made more similar in their ability to deliver damage in a given time.....
    Was the sampire utilizing a slayer weapon? Word of Death does not work with that, unfortunately. Death ray does take advantage of the slayer property on spellbooks and you could easily hit for 400+ damage on every tick.
  • ValisValis Posts: 45
    What the hell are you going to complain about tomorrow I wonder? Do you even stop to think before posting?
  • And here we go again...

Btw, you have been playing a tamer for a whole cup of coffee. You were training up your first pet as I recall trying for invasion books. Working on another during last event yelling out in general chat for everyone not to kill YOUR mobs because you were training it. Spamming GC for free scrolls. 

Poops, you are a troll. Starting multiple threads about the same things for pure reaction. Find another game that you enjoy.
    edited December 2020
    jelinidas said:
    And here we go again...

Btw, you have been playing a tamer for a whole cup of coffee. You were training up your first pet as I recall trying for invasion books. Working on another during last event yelling out in general chat for everyone not to kill YOUR mobs because you were training it. Spamming GC for free scrolls. 

Poops, you are a troll. Starting multiple threads about the same things for pure reaction. Find another game that you enjoy.
    One of the things that always Ultima Online had was the variety of Templates playable...

Yet, if these various Templates are not allowed by game mechanics "moreless" same fighting success, at least among the most obvious ones that could be used for fighting, but there is one that "shines" over all the others, I do not see why players should then use Templates who are less effective in place of the one that "works the best".

I see nothing wrong in trying to point to what I see as a wrong thing in UO.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    No, many people don't play the template that 'works best', some do, but many play the template they enjoy best.
    To go into more detail on your post. With protection cast you can't possibly have faster casting 4 because protection lowers your casting speed CAP by 2.

Pets do half damage - only in pvp if memory serves me right? anyone?

If tamers have it as hard as you claim, why do people play them? I often play mine.

• I have a sampire. I almost never play it. Wanna know why? I have more fun on a archer and tamer. I love my bard. Enjoy my thief. Have a ball on my treasure hunter/Fisher. I play for fun, something you have lost track of. Quit your endless babble and trolling posts or find a new pass time. 
  • TabinTabin Posts: 30
    edited December 2020
    I also dont see the issue here.  Tamers and Sampires are good in their own ways.   A tamer does perfectly fine in both 1v1 boss content and 1 vs many in champ spawns.  For narvey, my pet can hit for 100 to 320 dmg per hit plus i can cast spells adding even more dps.  I would say my tamer actually out DPSs my Sampire on this fight.  For champ spawns, i can leave my aoe pet somewhere and i can aoe spawns in a different location on foot.  I cant say running on foot aoeing is faster than a samp but its still clears fast enough.

Pets do half damage to the paragons happening right now in these events 

You might be remembering this other nerf to Tamers....

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/pets-ownership/
    Pets Versus Players
    All pet damage is reduced by 30% when targeting players.
    The 50% pet damage nerf is to MoBs....
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    @popps If I only read your posts then IMHO because they are so negative (not to mention long winded) I would NEVER play UO.  If you hate UO so much then why do you even play, IMHO if I hated something that much I would NEVER touch it.  You seriously need to stop with all the complaining and find something else to do.  You want to kill as fast as a Sampire then play a Sampire and stop complaining.  A Sampire can kill faster than my Blacksmith so should I get on here and rant as much as you do, GET A LIFE.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited December 2020
    @popps
    LOL  WoD takes forever.  Like I have told you now 4 times.

Use a slayer book.  Use Thunderstorm.  You will kill the Mobs faster than the melee toons.  You can run around killing the crowds around them, the crowds around pets and any other crowds.

Listen to other players.

You totally ignore posts and refuse to use advice.

I and others have already told you this same thing.  I have used my paladin and he kills the heck out of the first two levels.  I also use my tamers.  They have received more drops than the paladin even tho he kills faster.

Learn to play if you want to be like the others who know how to use the best template for the encounter.
    If you want to be mediocre use your cook and the wrong spells like you are doing now.

Next you are going to tell us how your Frost Drake is slow killing paragons in Ice....

How did that sampire do with the Boss?

NO not all templates have the same success.  Never have never will.

The game is for fun.  You are not a LEET player you will never be as good as others since you refuse to use the best template.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited December 2020
    There is a valid discussion to be had in how some classes are more over powered than other classes when attempting the same goal.

Whether or not that is a healthy standard for the game is open for debate and, frankly, an interesting one because it reveals a lot about what we all individually prioritize in our game play experience. Both in how we choose to approach playing a game (as a min-maxer looking for the highest yield at all times) or as someone just interested in the fun of playing a class that appeals to them.

And yet, we cannot seem to set aside the ad hominem attacks to either have these discussions or simply ignore them if they don't interest us. 

In fact, absent some self-restraint maybe the thing we should all be asking for on these forums is a user ignore button. 

edited December 2020
    UO is not a cookie cutter game.

Variety and experimentation is fun to some.

@PlayerSkillFTW s Patented Template that uses discord pet with conductive blast that reduces the energy resistance of a target so Death Ray does 800 plus damage per tick to a target.  But, he uses a different strategy to kill a group.

I have an Necro Archer that works great in some places. But the mobs I give life to do not attack anything at Shrine Battles so I use a different strategy there.

Not being a cookie cutter game is why UO has survived.

Also Like I said I have told him 4 times about me using my Paladin and tamers at Dark Forest.

How many times must we hear the same poster tell us about his 64 statues?

https://forum.uo.com/search?Search=64+statues

I have invited him to Lake Superior more than once to see all the variety of templates used in Ice right now.  He could bring a newly made toon there.  Nothing is alive for more than 2 seconds except paragons.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    For what it's worth (and to get on this thread before it's locked in about 10min lol) and archer does even more damage than a sampire does in a single hit. Pair that with the fact that you can now get 50 SSI on a suit alone (then enhance post imbue with ash for +10 SSI) and you basically have an archer swinging as fast as a sampire doing more damage per hit.

@popps - Can you please edit your hate post to include them in your trolling? 
    I should make this thread:

Unbelievable.... 100 skill cooks with a 30 Talisman and 30 Apron can fill a Sushi BOD faster than my 80 skill cook naked.  WOW
  • It’s about time the forum mods have a word with this troll. An absolute embarrassment to himself 
    Also can someone tell him that Sampires do no more damage than any other Melee warrior.
    Necro does not add to damage.  My chivalry will do more damage to targets when playing in areas that have multiple type Mobs.  I also do not use swords skill. 

Necro is not in the damage formula, Chivalry is.
  • With the amount of time he wastes moaning and embarrassing himself, and with all the info out there, and all the advice he has received he could have created a sampire for himself.
    Instead its a one man pathetic attempt to get sampires nerfed 

Here is a reality check or you Popps, IF the dev's are stupid enough to listen to you, the amount of subs the game would lose because of YOU would be very, very damaging to the survival of this game
    Now think about that and once and for all, just do one, SHUT UP, and spend more time in game and less time here.

We can ALL benefit from this.....
  • Clearly he has no idea of ANY templets,  Question is why on earth are you using WoD on the champ spawn.  Its just laughable

You clearly have no idea about SW and no idea about Champs, judging by your early boreathon about wanting to loot spawn corpses

How about you digests item ID or taste ID and give us all a rest
This discussion has been closed.