Dec 1st, where's my Holiday token?

Comments

• VioletViolet Posts: 368
    edited December 2020
    "instead of giving you a holiday token like we've been doing since 1997, we thought you would appreciate having to grind events for the items instead!  Special thanks to everyone who may have activated unused accounts to get  holiday rewards we appreciate the free money"

@kyronix ;

This erodes community trust.  If the dev team doesn't see what is wrong with this, a constant UO players could look forward to, especially after the sucky year we've endured, then the Dev team is truly out of touch. 

Even a past years token as a gift (sand/snow/grass tiles everyone has been asking for, as an example) would have been better than this.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    We're robbed of trading our tokens with friends from other shards. An activity many of us look forward to and have done for years and years now. 
  • wow, just wow...
  • MsScarlettMsScarlett Posts: 58
    edited December 2020
    None of these events have holiday themed items so not sure why they are claiming to have them baked in. I love having to work over and over for my christmas gifts.(said sarcastically)
  • So then is the Shard Bound Unfinished Table Legs costing 50 Ice Dungeon points our lump of coal? (Sorry that makes NO sense to me.)
  • Violet said:
    "instead of giving you a holiday token like we've been doing since 1997, we thought you would appreciate having to grind events for the items instead!  Special thanks to everyone who may have activated unused accounts to get  holiday rewards we appreciate the free money"

@ kyronix 

This erodes community trust.  If the dev team doesn't see what is wrong with this, a constant UO players could look forward to, especially after the sucky year we've endured, then the Dev team is truly out of touch. 

Even a past years token as a gift (sand/snow/grass tiles everyone has been asking for, as an example) would have been better than this.
    LOL. What's out of touch is this post. I mean, seriously people. Stop with the dramatics. 
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    probably they've forgotten how grinding those events are, just like i won't ask my kids to do gardening before I give them their xmas presents. 
  • This is on par how 2020 is. This Dev team has not a clue. To busy staring at a whiteboard and putting things in the UO store. What a slap in the face to their paying player base. 
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Boo
  • Meh, i could do without the tokens bags and cards choking up my storage space. this way i can get the reward I want and quit messing about. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    I don't like that we don't have holiday token this year. They manage to put new store items but couldn't think about a gift token with 2-3 deco items? Can't still believe this. This is amazing how they do not feel their community. They're holding meetings that no one attends because this is always the same bs answers.

"No".
    "Send me an email".
    "This is not in the books."
    "Maybe later". another read, no.

They need to get someone in charge that isn't disconnected as they are right now if they wanna continuie this game longer than it already existed.

Huge disapointement.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    There’s already so much Christmas stuff in game. Does it really matter that much? 
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    That's not the point. The point is some people look forward to it, there are collectors who like to collect the rare box colors, decorators that love the new deco. I personally don't care, this year has been totally FUBAR'd and the fact that they have so many events going on right now makes me happy. Instead of logging all my toons for a tokens, I'm logging them in to get Artisan rewards on shards that manage to grow a full tree. The Forest spawn  was fun for awhile, the statues, while not very Christmas-y, are kinda cool...and  a few neat little deco items in the ice dungeon reward list that I can either get or not.

I'm not taking sides...yes not getting a card from the team is :( but I'm not gonna stress about it.  

• Ultima team is doing it's part to 2020 this to the very end.  Focusing on a new shard and no Christmas gifts is just the perfect way to reward long term players.  While I have some appreciation for the events, I don't have time to grind for chances to get things.  The First Aid Belt was a nice system, in that I'm straight up rewarded for my effort.  But I don't have time to fight other players for a small drop % and I get to do that until I get 100 for a spellbook I probably don't even want....the last event (deceit) had better setting, reward, and time line.  Krampus has no new content, and I'm just not buying the messaging here.

I know there's a lot of frustration in this post.  I've been positive towards the teams efforts and news all year but the choices to end the year have tipped the balance (imho) towards the negative. Tough, limited-reward event and replaying old events with old rewards...

...but more importantly, claiming that those are a good reason for breaking a yearly tradition of Christmas gifts is just....it's really angered everyone in my playing circle. Including me. I do NOT understand how a candle with "I survived 2020" with a "Happy Holidays from the Dev Team" card stresses your resources.  And I'm talking lowest effort level possible here. We would accept literally 'anything' just to reward us for being here.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I agree, something with  UO Survived 2020 or something would be nice...maybe they can throw something together before the end of the year and surprise us.

• This does leave me a little bummed.

Resubbing after so long had me excited to get my first token this year and see what items they'd have for the holidays. Getting to know the community through the events the past few months has been wonderful, strangers becoming familiar faces while surviving a paragon or two makes me smile, and the possibility of a limited drop to trade for others finding set pieces they're going for is great.

Replacing many events for a deco token, stocking, or present doesn't seem quite right though. "UO Survived 2020" sounds like a great gift for the year end.
    Maybe the fact that they have shard bound unfinished table legs as a reward for the Ice Dungeon event is indicative of them losing steam over new items to give at this time. (I will forever be confused by this probably)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    edited December 2020
    A Red or Green Mysterious Cube could have been made as a gift with a card.
    The returners would have loved a Soulstone Fragment.
    A 2020 Ostard statue to ride.

Pure lack of caring about paying customers from @Mesanna

None of the rewards scream Christmas at me.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited December 2020
    the krampus minion hat is a xmas hat for example, but how grinding it is to get this particular one? 
    Aragorn said:
    the krampus minion hat is a xmas hat for example, but how grinding it is to get this particular one? 
    I got that recipe when it came out.  That's not new.  I have dyed reforged ones  >:)
    no it's not new, just saying it's one of the few rewards in the current events which is heavy xmas focused.
  • I logged in today, on an account I have kept active, to get my holiday token. The in game news says the old message from last year about holiday tokens. It's very confusing. Then I come here and find this news. Sad times.
  • KimmyKimmy Posts: 1
    Not everyone is a grinder. Some of us play differently and this is seriously messed up. I'm glad I didn't activate my other accounts. I will just simply miss out this year and the ones going forward I guess.
    edited December 2020
    Kimmy said:
    Not everyone is a grinder. Some of us play differently and this is seriously messed up. I'm glad I didn't activate my other accounts. I will just simply miss out this year and the ones going forward I guess.
    yup. UO is a grinding game from crafting to fighting to gift collecting to fishing to resource gathering to boss activating to special events to taming to treasure hunting.
    If you dont like grinding most any persistent game is not for you.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Pawain said:
    That is sad that they can't make a token with a few gifts.  Looks like Live shards are in the far back seat because they are working on the NL shard.

That, or, as usual, they cannot care less for the opinions of the players that they are sure they have already "hooked". B)
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Don.t really see that the team put any effort at all into Christmas this year.  I have only been around a couple of years so I really don’t know what the Christmas events are all about but I could see them going on around me and appreciated they were there in previous year.  Enjoyed getting the gift boxes with just the cookies and newspapers inside.  Did not feel much like Christmas in Britanicana this year.  

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Arnold7 said:
    Don.t really see that the team put any effort at all into Christmas this year.  I have only been around a couple of years so I really don’t know what the Christmas events are all about but I could see them going on around me and appreciated they were there in previous year.  Enjoyed getting the gift boxes with just the cookies and newspapers inside.  Did not feel much like Christmas in Britanicana this year.  

I agree: no snow either. :'(
    I can understand that this 2020 has been a s****y & complicated year for anyone and that it s*****d the launch of the NL project in which the Team has put a lot of energy, but nevertheless even a duplicated Christnas Token should have been given, IMO.
    Moreover, if one adds to all this the "genial" idea to make Shard Bound ALL the items from this year Story Arc...
    I mean, what sense has to make SB the Armor Sets? The only effect of this thing has been to make their prices skyrocket in every Shard and so making near impossible for the small collector to have the interesting ones - Bones, Plate... :/
  • Ivenor said:

I can understand that this 2020 has been a s****y & complicated year for anyone and that it s*****d the launch of the NL project in which the Team has put a lot of energy, but nevertheless even a duplicated Christnas Token should have been given, IMO.

I see no energy except the "team" has mailed it in for an entire year. As per the norm, their communication skills are zilch. This group has pissed on tradition just to make a name. Well, they have...
  • PolarisPolaris Posts: 106
    edited December 2020
    Ivenor said:
    Arnold7 said:

I agree: no snow either. :'(
    Moreover, if one adds to all this the "genial" idea to make Shard Bound ALL the items from this year Story Arc...
    I mean, what sense has to make SB the Armor Sets? The only effect of this thing has been to make their prices skyrocket in every Shard and so making near impossible for the small collector to have the interesting ones - Bones, Plate... :/
    The last I understood it, they took the "snow" away because of a few players (likely 3-4 players on tons of different accounts) complaining for whatever reason. I won't get conspiratorial, but every real rational player loves the snow in UO.

Snow in Ultima was one of the hallmarks of the game that set it apart from things like World of Warcraft. Please bring back snow Devs... all of the real players miss it greatly. I built my houses where they were up North because of snow. I will never do Krampus without snow.... everything is less without snow on the ground during the Holidays. Please bring it back, and do not listen to the 3 nay sayers whoever it is that complained. It is truly magical, awesome, and a brilliant idea to bring people into the game and get them to stay. There is no reason not to have snow turned on right now, this is one thing that is easily done to keep Ultima great.

Snow makes Ultima magical and the change of seasons sets this game apart. Please never miss holiday tokens again, and turn snow back on for the rest of us. I would rather have snow and Krampus alone with Holiday tokens (promotes trading too) than any dungeon "event." The dungeon events are getting rather old.
    +1 to bringing snow back for the season