Tears of the Ice Dragon

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited December 2020
    Pawain said:
    I have 1 complaint about the Rat room.  It should be full of RATS!  Normally it has a lot of rats.  This room would be a lot more fun with Para rat mages and archers chasing you around plus the amount of normal spawn.  Now there is just a splash of spawn that can be done in 20 seconds then its empty.
    The issue that I have with this "new" type of Events is the Paragons revealing "no matter what".

There is a Race, skills, spells and masteries in Ultima Online which are meant to work towards NOT getting revealed or, at least not so easily.

Paragons not respecting existing mechanics break all that and, personally, I find this just not right.

Being an Elf, using high real stealthing skill, having ninjitsu and using the Shadow Mastery as well as other existing mechanics that have always been meant to "protect" a stealthing character from being revealed, have all been broken by releasing Paragons which reveal "no matter what".

This should not be, to my opinion.

There should be "degrees" or functionality whereas, if a player invested in skills, Masteries used a Race, the Elf, which is meant to have a natural "reistance" to being revealed and so forth, this should make it possible to avoid being revealed by a Paragon.

And it is not like players investing in these skills that would avoid their template to get revealed could become overpowered because, if they invested in 100 hiding, 120 stealthing and perhaps even 120 ninjitsu, they would be left with little skill points for much else...

There has to be some middle ground, I think, whereas players who decide to choose to invest towards a template and playing style that permits them to hide and stealth, are allowed to do that and not see their preferred template and playing style thrown to the trash bin by simply making Paragons flat out reveal anything that moves 2 screens away.

Also, the retargeting that they do is really excessive and it makes playing a Tamer way, but WAY more difficult as a Sampire or Dexer.

A dexer does not care about retargeting because they just stand up toe to toe with the Paragon and, infact, it is not a coincidence that, just like we saw in Deceit, now also in the Ice Dungeon, we are seeing TONS of Sampires and Dexers who have a field trip with the spawn, Paragons included.

@Kyronix , @Bleak , please tell us flat out if Ultima Online's players now should all make a Sampire or some other type of Dexer/Fighter and just forget about other templates in order to better participate to these "new" types of Events.

Just a visit to the Ice Dungeon (the same was pretty much for Deceit) would make you easily witness this but if you do not feel like wanting to go see it for yourself, just check posts on these same Forums... just as one example, I will make it even easier for you...

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/50596/#Comment_50596
    So we went into the Fiend room and killed stuff for a while.  He was running the provo buffs on me.  With my Mace mastery on I had 184HP was at max damage and the HP regen awesome!  We killed every Paragon at a nice pace. I was no where near dying, killed the para WW in 30 sec or less, was awesome!  
    I have nothing against Sampires, Dexers and Fighters, I just hate the fact that one after the other, all this "new" type of Event content seems to always play into their hands making their getting drops way, but WAY easier as compared to other types of Templates.

Tamers are spellcasters, and pretty much all of them need to use Protection for obvious reasons... and guess what ? Their casting speed is so ridicolously slow that often, they can get killed by a tougher Paragon before their Invisibility spell ends (and even if it ends they get revealed right after).... imagine that and compare with Dexers/Fighters being able to swing at 1.25 using slayers and all sorts of buffs possible to kill even the toughest of Paragons in no time...

How come that you keep making the playing of other templates more and more difficult with all of these additions like the Paragons revealing, retargeting etc. but nothing comes to make life significantly more difficult for Sampires, Dexers and Fighters in general ?

Sure, Paragon Rams disarming or tainted life and the likes have affected them a little bit, but, thanking to the flexibility of those Dexers or Fighting Templates, they have easily adjusted and those changes have not much affected their playing style... certainly not as much as the Paragons revealing and retargeting might have affected Tamers or their not being provokable might have affected the playability of Bards.

I am not asking to make things harder for Fighters, I am asking to at least "ease up" for sake of balance and to permit the playability of these other templates, some of the changes that have so much affected the playability of Tamers in these Events as well as of Bards.

Not to mention Thieves and Rogues who could get no drops in Deceit and neither now in Ice Dungeon....

There is not only players playing Sampires or Dexers/Fighters in Ultima Online, or perhaps is that what from now on should Ultima Online players do ?

All play a Sampire, Dexer or Fighter ?

Is this really what you want to see in these "new" content Dungeons ?

All Sampires, Dexers and Fighters ?

Wouldn't it be boring as hell and a loss for the game, overall ?
    Sir_Jerms said:
    You play a Sampire, Dexer of Fighter right ?
  • Ultima2005Ultima2005 Posts: 6
    edited December 2020
    popps said:
    Sir_Jerms said:
    Apparently you don’t play as one, because if you did, you’d know that warriors and sampires can’t life leech from paras. Funny how you didn’t bring this up when discussing balance. The great thing about these events is most templates are viable and none truly dominate.
  • Yes.  I have an archer...  He is my only fighter.  He was a swordsman, until years ago, the game mechanics changed, and skill no longer became necessary.  It became armor based.  Thus I adapted to be an archer.   I have taken him to the last two events. He has died quite often.  I have never had a tamer, never done anything with provocation, and really don't intend to. I play the game to play the game.  Have done so since 1998 and until the Illsh event, have never done champ spawns or other events.  My characters suck.  I accept that, but I still play the hell out of them enjoy my time spent in the game.  I don't cry about dying so much that I have gone from Glorious Lord to Great.  I don't complain that I burn thru 1000 arrows every time I go to Illsh.  I play the game....  and I will continue to do so in the manner that I have, not caring if I have every statue, reward, or "goodie" that comes out.  

Honestly, the reason for the facepalm is simple.  You complain about every event, every skill, every mechanic in the game.  It gets old.  
    edited December 2020
    popps said:
    Sir_Jerms said:
    Apparently you don’t play as one, because if you did, you’d know that warriors and sampires can’t life leech from paras. Funny how you didn’t bring this up when discussing balance. The great thing about these events is most templates are viable and none truly dominate.
    But I did mention all that and how Sampires adjusted.... there is healing skill, there is enhanced bandages... I did mention those changes but how they were easily and quickly adjusted to considering the high flexibility of the template....

The end result is that "adjusted" Sampires are STILL the most effective and used Template with these type of "new" Events.... that should tell something, shouldn't it ?

I am only pointing out a "de facto" situation in the Dungeons where these "new" types of Events are taking place.

That 90%+ of the templates being used there are "adjusted" Sampires should tell something....
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited December 2020
    Tamers are doing just fine on LS.  The mobs are so spread out you do not use WW as often as in deceit.

A tamer can sit at the spots where the Artic Ogre Lords or White Wyrms spawn and kill them over and over.  I see Archers knocking down all the Paragons.

I use my tamer with a Triton which does no fire damage and he kills things that NOOBs bring to the entry and they can't kill.

This dungeon is designed very well for all player abilities.

Yes this event is for Fighters!   

You need to come to a shard where the players know how to kill stuff and love it!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • popps said:
    popps said:
    Sir_Jerms said:
    But I did mention all that and how Sampires adjusted.... there is healing skill, there is enhanced bandages... I did mention those changes but how they were easily and quickly adjusted to considering the high flexibility of the template....

The end result is that "adjusted" Sampires are STILL the most effective and used Template with these type of "new" Events.... that should tell something, shouldn't it ?

I am only pointing out a "de facto" situation in the Dungeons where these "new" types of Events are taking place.

That 90%+ of the templates being used there are "adjusted" Sampires should tell something....
    I mean, not really. I see as many tamer/mages as I do warriors. I personally like my mage with AOE better than my sampire. A ninja template would do just fine. Stop whining, goodness.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited December 2020

Be more specific instead of writing so much.

I conclude that you have an issue with paragons revealing hiding characters, and this was done to prevent unattended macroing. Even so, hiding or stealing should not get the same reward as fighting - I have all legendary templates including 120 thief and I don't agree my thief should have that ability either.

My bard is also a "supporting role" and it would be weird to have a hiding bard sitting one corner, spamming provo and discord. Its a perfect unattended macro template.

Just like the artisan event, you need a special event for non-fighting template to get their rewards. And such rewards should not be the same as rewards from fighting event.

By fighting I mean aggression by all means that damage monster HP. All other fighting templates including tamers, mages, warriors and archers are doing fine for such fighting event.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    I have 1 complaint about the Rat room.  It should be full of RATS!  Normally it has a lot of rats.  This room would be a lot more fun with Para rat mages and archers chasing you around plus the amount of normal spawn.  Now there is just a splash of spawn that can be done in 20 seconds then its empty.
    The issue that I have with this "new" type of Events is the Paragons revealing "no matter what".

There is a Race, skills, spells and masteries in Ultima Online which are meant to work towards NOT getting revealed or, at least not so easily.

Paragons not respecting existing mechanics break all that and, personally, I find this just not right.

Being an Elf, using high real stealthing skill, having ninjitsu and using the Shadow Mastery as well as other existing mechanics that have always been meant to "protect" a stealthing character from being revealed, have all been broken by releasing Paragons which reveal "no matter what".

There should be "degrees" or functionality whereas, if a player invested in skills, Masteries used a Race, the Elf, which is meant to have a natural "reistance" to being revealed and so forth, this should make it possible to avoid being revealed by a Paragon.

And it is not like players investing in these skills that would avoid their template to get revealed could become overpowered because, if they invested in 100 hiding, 120 stealthing and perhaps even 120 ninjitsu, they would be left with little skill points for much else...

There has to be some middle ground, I think, whereas players who decide to choose to invest towards a template and playing style that permits them to hide and stealth, are allowed to do that and not see their preferred template and playing style thrown to the trash bin by simply making Paragons flat out reveal anything that moves 2 screens away.

Also, the retargeting that they do is really excessive and it makes playing a Tamer way, but WAY more difficult as a Sampire or Dexer.

A dexer does not care about retargeting because they just stand up toe to toe with the Paragon and, infact, it is not a coincidence that, just like we saw in Deceit, now also in the Ice Dungeon, we are seeing TONS of Sampires and Dexers who have a field trip with the spawn, Paragons included.

@ Kyronix , @ Bleak , please tell us flat out if Ultima Online's players now should all make a Sampire or some other type of Dexer/Fighter and just forget about other templates in order to better participate to these "new" types of Events.

Just a visit to the Ice Dungeon (the same was pretty much for Deceit) would make you easily witness this but if you do not feel like wanting to go see it for yourself, just check posts on these same Forums... just as one example, I will make it even easier for you...

So we went into the Fiend room and killed stuff for a while.  He was running the provo buffs on me.  With my Mace mastery on I had 184HP was at max damage and the HP regen awesome!  We killed every Paragon at a nice pace. I was no where near dying, killed the para WW in 30 sec or less, was awesome!  
    I have nothing against Sampires, Dexers and Fighters, I just hate the fact that one after the other, all this "new" type of Event content seems to always play into their hands making their getting drops way, but WAY easier as compared to other types of Templates.

Tamers are spellcasters, and pretty much all of them need to use Protection for obvious reasons... and guess what ? Their casting speed is so ridicolously slow that often, they can get killed by a tougher Paragon before their Invisibility spell ends (and even if it ends they get revealed right after).... imagine that and compare with Dexers/Fighters being able to swing at 1.25 using slayers and all sorts of buffs possible to kill even the toughest of Paragons in no time...

How come that you keep making the playing of other templates more and more difficult with all of these additions like the Paragons revealing, retargeting etc. but nothing comes to make life significantly more difficult for Sampires, Dexers and Fighters in general ?

Sure, Paragon Rams disarming or tainted life and the likes have affected them a little bit, but, thanking to the flexibility of those Dexers or Fighting Templates, they have easily adjusted and those changes have not much affected their playing style... certainly not as much as the Paragons revealing and retargeting might have affected Tamers or their not being provokable might have affected the playability of Bards.

I am not asking to make things harder for Fighters, I am asking to at least "ease up" for sake of balance and to permit the playability of these other templates, some of the changes that have so much affected the playability of Tamers in these Events as well as of Bards.

Not to mention Thieves and Rogues who could get no drops in Deceit and neither now in Ice Dungeon....

There is not only players playing Sampires or Dexers/Fighters in Ultima Online, or perhaps is that what from now on should Ultima Online players do ?

Honest to God Question - I'm curious where you honestly trying to see with this post if you ran out of room to type in the comment box?
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    Marge said:
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

@ Kyronix , @ Bleak , please tell us flat out if Ultima Online's players now should all make a Sampire or some other type of Dexer/Fighter and just forget about other templates in order to better participate to these "new" types of Events.

Honest to God Question - I'm curious where you honestly trying to see with this post if you ran out of room to type in the comment box?
    Now that's a legit question.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    I won't touch my sampire with this event. I use my tamer in Tram and my archer in Fel. The drops are ridiculous! 16 in the first hour and a half on my tamer and 6 in about 30 minutes on my archer. Sorry but my samp is staying home for this one!

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Oh and since I can't edit my post (GRRR) I will add that as a tamer, which Popps has said is WAY MORE DIFFICULT to play due to the paras revealing and switching targets.....yes my tamer has died quite often! BUT 80% of the time, if you invis and teleport a short distance away, he won't re-target you. Sometimes you have to do that a few times....be quick on the healing and invising because even when he does reveal he usually stays on my pet after that.

Even if he doesn't and I die....I run out, get rezzed (I usually stay in one of the ogre lord spots so it's easy) Run out, rez, use my undertaker staff right inside the entrance (Yes I cheat LOL) and gate myself back to the spot.

Sometimes I'll die again almost right away....but I really don't care lol it's a game and my Cu can usually handle whatever he's killing on his own during the time it takes me to run out and get rezzed.

edited December 2020
    Yes this is not like Deceit. The Mobs are more spread out.  Almost all the normal Mobs die in one or 2 hits from any template.  The Paragons are not as tough as Deceit. The WW para is the only tough one.  The Drake paras are second. I thought the snow eles would cause more trouble.

A nice relaxing place to fight.  I've only died two times today. Tamers don't have to tele, just take 4 steps back and invis again and the para sticks to the pet until someone runs by. Also any pet will work if you do not have a fire damager. My Triton kills Para WWs just fine and he is totally wrong for this.

Archers with fire bows and an Ice Tali can one or two shot most things.

And like I said, someone can just stand at a Ogre spawn and kill those over and over if they want.

A well done design for all Fighting templates and skill levels, as it should be.
  • Maximus_NeximusMaximus_Neximus Posts: 380
    edited December 2020
    My feedback for the event:

Add more rewards, even if it's just some of the previous rewards. The options so far have zero interest to me. But there's some past items I wouldn't mind having the chance to get. I think each iteration should continue to have some, if not all, of the past items available.

Perhaps leave the deco only items to be the limited time only.
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    My feedback is... You know how there was triton statues? Make dread warhorse and bane dragon statues.
    They should have also put in 30% slayer books for the things in the Dungeon.  Like Ele, Repond, and Reptile.  The Tali is neat if you do not have 1 since it has nothing extra on it, my 29% tailor tali with ice slayer is just as good.

After the Epaulets, we are spoiled with these rewards.  A new footwear or sash with stats would have been a big deal.  Lots of players want more luck items.

There should have been better rewards this time if we have to wait until Oct,Nov, Dec to get another ToT event.

I have no idea what the table legs do, so I'm just going to collect armor suits and buy deco hedges.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    Trying to figure out why the table legs are shard bound and what on earth would make them worth 50 points?   The rest do not say shard bound on mouse over.   Unless that is another error.   As for those legs tho (identical graphic to the legs every fisherman tosses in the bin for clean up points which btw aren't shard bound), anyone want to be the first to pick em and see if they actually 'do' anything to warrant that 50 points?   I won't be doing this for a while.  Right now the only thing I see worth having is a book for my crafter.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    I took the talisman and it's shard bound even the graph doesn't say so. Now I would believe the spellbook is shard bound as well. 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    The hedges are shard bound too - lucky my houses are all on the same shard I have toons that can fight in there. :)
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited December 2020
    Used my Disco/Tamer with his 120 Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake in there for a bit. Killed stuff fast, only the Paragons took awhile to kill due to taking half damage from pets.

Then i took my Macer/Paladin in there with a 100% Fire Dragon Slayer Maul, 100% Fire Repond Slayer Maul, and Ice Slayer Talisman, and he dominated everything in his path, Paragons included. Non-Paragons of all types were slain within 1-3 attacks, and the Paragon WWs and AOLs were slaughtered within 15-20 seconds, a cakewalk with Stagger neutering their melee damage output. Got about 20 drops in an hour on my Macer.

Gotta say though, it's funny watching how many people bring their Cu Sidhes in there and how slow they kill the spawn. Watched a Tamer with a Cu Sidhe trying to fight a Paragon AOL for a minute, then i ran in, redlined the AOL within seconds, then stood back and watched the Cu take 20 secs to finish it off. Cu Sidhes do 50% Cold Damage, and the vast majority of the spawn there is heavily resistant to Cold Damage. Believe it or not, Cu Sidhes are not the end all/be all of pets. Cu Sidhes are not the right tool for the job there. Chiv Fire Drakes and Wrest Mastery Fire Beetles rock that spawn ten times harder than any Cu. #DamageTypeMatters.
    Used my Disco/Tamer with his 120 Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake in there for a bit. Killed stuff fast, only the Paragons took awhile to kill due to taking half damage from pets.

Then i took my Macer/Paladin in there with a 100% Fire Dragon Slayer Maul, 100% Fire Repond Slayer Maul, and Ice Slayer Talisman, and he dominated everything in his path, Paragons included. Non-Paragons of all types were slain within 1-3 attacks, and the Paragon WWs and AOLs were slaughtered within 15-20 seconds, a cakewalk with Stagger neutering their melee damage output. Got about 20 drops in an hour on my Macer.

Gotta say though, it's funny watching how many people bring their Cu Sidhes in there and how slow they kill the spawn. Watched a Tamer with a Cu Sidhe trying to fight a Paragon AOL for a minute, then i ran in, redlined the AOL within seconds, then stood back and watched the Cu take 20 secs to finish it off. Cu Sidhes do 50% Cold Damage, and the vast majority of the spawn there is heavily resistant to Cold Damage. Believe it or not, Cu Sidhes are not the end all/be all of pets. Cu Sidhes are not the right tool for the job there. Chiv Fire Drakes and Wrest Mastery Fire Beetles rock that spawn ten times harder than any Cu. #DamageTypeMatters.
    @Kyronix , @Bleak

Just wanted to make sure that you do are aware of how these new "Dynamic ToT" Spawns are Fighters friendly....

Perhaps, to bring things a bit "on par" and permit to Tamers to be competitive with Fighters on these spawns you might want to reduce that damage from pets being halved as well as the retargeting and revealing (which mostly affect Tamers and not at all Fighters) ?

Or is it really that, from now on, you guys really want to see only Fighters coming to these Dynamic ToT Spawns ?

Because, if you have not noticed it already, it IS already happening.... just check out the Ice dungeon (but it was the same in Deceit last month) and you will see Fighters all over the place...

Just let us know if you want Fighters to own everything in UO so, players will just be done with other types of Templates and make a Fighter and be done with it....

• psychopsycho Posts: 284
    The tablelegs were a big mistake,
    I expect them to be updated or removed.

Also if the item is shard bound (which I think all are) the description should say so.
    its about honesty, people see what they like in the menu and expect to get the item, getting a shard bound item instead is false advertising, its not nice.

That being said, Im all for shard bound, I think its good.

para crimson drake is a bit of trouble as it doesn't have any slayer, and its dragon breath hits ~50 per hit at full health. 
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    CovenantX said:
    If none of those deco items have any functionality, these rewards are lacking quite a lot compared to the ones we had about a month ago with "the Three" event in deceit.

The spellbook 'looks' good, but it's useless in pvp & pvm cause better options already exist without crippling your character when you're disarmed like it would be relying on this book's properties.

Maybe page 2 rewards are coming later on?  if not, this event is just going to be a grind for full suits of "of ice" items or whatever they're going to be called.

On my home shard I have a Mage-Wrestler character I've been playing around with and this book will work good for him...

• HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I dug out my Sorc Dungeon mage book rewards - alas, I have a Flame Slayer +25 damage SB but no Ice Slayer :( 
    edited December 2020
    psycho said:

Also if the item is shard bound (which I think all are) the description should say so.
    its about honesty, people see what they like in the menu and expect to get the item, getting a shard bound item instead is false advertising, its not nice.

Again, fine for decor but not good for functional, wearable items which are useful as part of character template. I am tired of transferring to other shards to try and get one there. This means that my character template will only be effective on my main shard. It will never transfer to other shard for events, esp. when the shard bound new artifacts are now part of the permanent template.

I was looking forward to the 14-year for my 2nd account, but I think there is less motivation now.

Seth said:
    psycho said:

Again, fine for decor but not good for functional, wearable items which are useful as part of character template. I am tired of transferring to other shards to try and get one there. This means that my character template will only be effective on my main shard. It will never transfer to other shard for events, esp. when the shard bound new artifacts are now part of the permanent template.

I was looking forward to the 14-year for my 2nd account, but I think there is less motivation now.

I prefer account bound than shard bound for wearable. if you shard bound wearable you are also shard bounding your character. 
    Aragorn said:
    Seth said:
    psycho said:

I prefer account bound than shard bound for wearable. if you shard bound wearable you are also shard bounding your character. 
    Yeah, this is the better solution than shard bound for an active account however, account bound will also mean there is absolutely no trading at all. 

Its best to leave it as usual, not to change things if they are not broken.
    edited December 2020
    Seth said:
    Aragorn said:
    Seth said:
    psycho said:

Yeah, this is the better solution than shard bound for an active account however, account bound will also mean there is absolutely no trading at all. 

Its best to leave it as usual, not to change things if they are not broken.
    Yup, so it's a piece of advice for future rewards. There maybe a 150 luck back or sash slot item coming who knows.