There is some bug with one's own Spellweaving WILDFIRE revealing (it should not)....

poppspopps Posts: 3,904
Fire Field, Poison Field cast by oneself do not reveal, as it should be as one does not take damage by one's own AoE spells.....

Even Wildfire, if cast on an empty spot (i.e. with no enemy), one can stealth into it just fine without getting revealed, as it should be, since one does not take damage, obviously, by one's own fields....

The problem is, when one casts Spellweaving Wildfire on a Target....

Going invised right afterwards does not hold, one gets revealed all the time.... and, mind you, this is on the Trammel facet !!

And it goes even oddier.... if the Spellweaving Wildfire is cast by another player on a target, this will not reveal another player (Trammel facet, as they take no damage by other player's AoE spells), contrary to the Paragraph above whereas, that player casting Wildfire on that same target would, instead, get revealed all the time by hiw own AoE spell !!

Something looks to me quite wrong here, as a player should not be revealed by his own AoE spells as they obviously take no damage from them....

Can we please get this fixed ?

Thanks !

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,945Moderator
    This is not a bug. Any field spell, be it poison field, fire field or wildfire will reveal you if  you have cast it on a target and that target is taking damage from it.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    edited November 2020
    Mariah said:
    This is not a bug. Any field spell, be it poison field, fire field or wildfire will reveal you if  you have cast it on a target and that target is taking damage from it.
    I am sorry but that does not make any sense.

What reveals is not others taking damage, but ourselves taking damage....

That is, if "we" take damage, depending on the damage taken and the skills/buffs on, that damage taken might or not reveal our characters.

But, as we know, AoE spells cast by ourselves do not do, obviously, damage to ourselves.

It makes no sense that "others" taking damage from our Area spells would reveal ourselves...

It is "they" who are taking damage, not our characters who cast those AoE spells....
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    To make your case name another example of where you can do damage and not be revealed.
    Tim said:
    To make your case name another example of where you can do damage and not be revealed.
    That is not a proper question...

We are not talking here about direct damage but from AoS spells...

And AoS spells do not do damage the caster, obviously.

If one casts a field or any other AoS spell and let it there, if then someone walks into it and takes damage, it should NOT reveal the caster.

Why ?

Because it is like a "trap" laid there by the caster.

A direct spell of course that it reveals the caster, there is a source of the spell which the target can see.

But an AoS spell like a field ? It is just there, static and one walks into it.

This should not reveal the caster, makes no sense whatsoever to me.
  • Mariah has provided the correct answer. You doing damage to someone else will reveal you. This also applies to special moves like bleed. Bleed ticks will reveal you when you put bleed on someone and then hide. This is working as intended.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited November 2020
    But Popps wants to go around hidden and kill everything while hidden.  So, not working as Popps intends.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Mariah has provided the correct answer. You doing damage to someone else will reveal you. This also applies to special moves like bleed. Bleed ticks will reveal you when you put bleed on someone and then hide. This is working as intended.
    It still makes no sense.

The bleeding should reveal whomever has been bled, not the bleeder who bled and then went into hiding.

It might be working as intended, but makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Think about it, why should someone who bleeded a target and then went into hiding be subject, whenever the bleed ticked, to get revelead ?

It is not the bleeder who is taking the damage, but the bleeded.
    edited November 2020
    Pawain said:
    But Popps wants to go around hidden and kill everything while hidden.  So, not working as Popps intends.
    Offensive actions reveal so, I am not sure what you are talking about.....

If one casts any spell, included AoS spells, this reveals the caster and rightfully so.

The problem comes, when one gets revealed by one's own AoS spells even though one, obviously, is NOT taking damage from one's own AoS spells....

This is what is dead wrong, to my viewing.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,945Moderator
    You are revealed because you are attacking. It is part of the game's concept that you cannot attack and remain hidden. That is not 'honorable'. It may not be logical to you, but that's the way it is. This is NOT a bug.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    I don't think popps is saying the casting of of wildfire should not reveal the caster but if anything takes damage the caster should not be revealed.  So what I am thinking popps is saying is the caster casts wildfire then casts invisibility then something wonders into the wildfire field and takes damage which causes the caster to get revealed.

It is like attacking with bleed, casting invisibility, then getting revealed every time the victim spills some blood.

Or casting poison field, casting invisibility, then getting revealed every time the victim takes poison damage
    edited November 2020
    TimSt said:
    I don't think popps is saying the casting of of wildfire should not reveal the caster but if anything takes damage the caster should not be revealed.  So what I am thinking popps is saying is the caster casts wildfire then casts invisibility then something wonders into the wildfire field and takes damage which causes the caster to get revealed.

It is like attacking with bleed, casting invisibility, then getting revealed every time the victim spills some blood.

Or casting poison field, casting invisibility, then getting revealed every time the victim takes poison damage
    Yes, that is what I am trying to say.

Direct spells by all means should reveal the caster because A is attacking B.

So, if A casts a field on B then yes, this should reveal the caster because A is targeting directly B with an AoS spell.

But if A casts an AoS field spell on an area, not directly on a target B, and then B or anyone else wanders into that field ? No way, this should not reveal the caster, to my opinion.

So, there should be a difference whether an AoS spell is cast directly onto someone OR when it is cast on an area, even if nearby anything that might be in that area.

The point being, that the target can always change direction and avoid the field while if the AoS spell is cast directly onto the target, then the target has no choice to avoid it.