Forest of the Dark

When does it begin?

Comments

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    Later this month, keep an eye on UO.com for details.
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    Kyronix said:

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited November 2020
    Kyronix said:
    What wil the setting be where it will take place ?

I assume, that talking about a "Forest" it might be YEW that in the game is where the largest Forest and biggest Trees are, but will it be so ?

Also, if it will be YEW, with the Town invasion we saw there Orcs, Ogre and other humanoids, will it be also this type of spawn for the Forest of the Dark ?

Thanks.
  • popps said:
    Kyronix said:

I assume, that talking about a "Forest" it might be YEW that in the game is where the largest Forest and biggest Trees are, but will it be so ?

Also, if it will be YEW, with the Town invasion we saw there Orcs, Ogre and other humanoids, will it be also this type of spawn for the Forest of the Dark ?

Thanks.
    I refer you to the answer above from Kyronix

in case you didn't understand, WAIT    why are you so special that you want answers now?

No essays required

popps said:
    Kyronix said:

Thanks.
    I refer you to the answer above from Kyronix

in case you didn't understand, WAIT    why are you so special that you want answers now?

No essays required

Not a special answer, just a heads up about what setting and Monsters to expect so as to get ready for it...

For example, imagine a New Tamer not having the stables full of some 20+ pets, they might be needing to go tame and train a pet, and that takes days and days...

So, knowing what Forest of the Dark will be about, might give to them a few days to get prepared and tame and train whatever pet would serve them best for that segment...

The same could be for a Fighter or something else...

Of course that Veteran players with all skills on a Soulstone and plenty of trained up pets to pick from do not care, they can just pick what works best from their stocked up stuff on day 1...

But there is New or Retunring players out there, who do not have this luxury and need to prepare and ready up and that takes days....

That is why I was asking @Kyronix what the Forest of the Dark will be about.... there is players to whom having this info several days ahead of the time can be very usefull...
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited November 2020
     :D  Prepare for all possibilities now.  And hope it is something we have not seen before.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    Nov 15 to (most likely) Nov 30 will be a chance to catch up on Rune Stones, Blackthorn, etc until the Dark Forest event begins.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    edited November 2020
    Speculating: paragon giant turkeys, paragon boars, paragon bears, paragon rabbits, paragon cows, paragon sheep, paragon dread spiders,

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    popps said:
    Kyronix said:

Thanks.

I am expecting Fey slayer for "forest" monsters, but can be anything.

The forest is dangerous... :'(
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Of_BeastsOf_Beasts Posts: 99
    edited November 2020
    Dark wisps, Dark fathers, Dark Guardian, Reapers, spiders, snakes, Tsuki Wolves, Hyrus.

• popps said:
    Kyronix said:

The forest around Yew is the most obvious guess, but I'll offer an alternative speculation...

EM Malachi is the main author of official UO fiction, and his events on Great Lakes are usually well integrated in the global event storyline.

If you check the Great Lakes EM event calendar for November, two upcoming events stand out: "The Hound of Doskar" and "The Tree of Strife".

This is a reference to the events in the
    Great Northern Forest on Serpent Isle in Ultima VII Part 2. Serpent Isle has been replaced by Ilshenar in UO, so the "Forest of the Dark" event could also take place in the Ilshenar forests...

SirBolo said:
    popps said:
    Kyronix said:

The forest around Yew is the most obvious guess, but I'll offer an alternative speculation...

EM Malachi is the main author of official UO fiction, and his events on Great Lakes are usually well integrated in the global event storyline.

If you check the Great Lakes EM event calendar for November, two upcoming events stand out: "The Hound of Doskar" and "The Tree of Strife".

This is a reference to the events in the
    Great Northern Forest on Serpent Isle in Ultima VII Part 2. Serpent Isle has been replaced by Ilshenar in UO, so the "Forest of the Dark" event could also take place in the Ilshenar forests...

So my guess there will be Fey type monster should be partially correct.
  • I guess Krampus...
    ICQ 568300481
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    I guess Krampus...
    I am hoping.
    I want more of the Krampus Stars
  • just make sure it's available on both tram and fel. if applicable.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • popps said:
    Kyronix said:

Thanks.
    Hmm...In the fiction Umbria appears to be a powerful necromancer which to me implies a lot of undead. The city of Umbra is associated with necromancy. Another possibility might be the Corrupted Forest outside Umbra with Dungeon Doom and its undead near bye. 

Guess we will see what unfolds as the story is told....  
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited November 2020
    Hopefully there's no Paragon Satyrs and Paragon Dryads that are immune to Life Leech and take half damage from pets. Those two mobs are by far the most infuriating mobs to fight in the entire game. Getting discorded and getting insta pwned or not being able to command your pet without it going wild is not fun. Or getting peaced for being within the general vicinity of a Dryad, and not being able to fight back or cast. Or getting stripped by them.

The Fey spawn for the Blackthorn's Captains is widely considered the hardest Blackthorn's spawn for a reason. My guild can smash any other spawn in Blackthorns within 30-40 mins, but the Fey spawn takes about an hour and a half and far more deaths than even the Demon spawn.
    If the reward is as good as the tough monster, it may still attract very high user engagement. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I like the way Deceit was able to be done by everyone.  All players had a chance.  I threw Macing on my Thrower to get garg pieces,  He couldn't kill many paragons but he got a bunch of garg weapons and shields.  But, I was able to trade for a Stone and Cloth suit.

We let the New and returning players have the first floor and the rest of us kept the rest clear.  I kept a tamer in front to kill paras they brought to the entry.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    I like the way Deceit was able to be done by everyone.  All players had a chance.  I threw Macing on my Thrower to get garg pieces,  He couldn't kill many paragons but he got a bunch of garg weapons and shields.  But, I was able to trade for a Stone and Cloth suit.

We let the New and returning players have the first floor and the rest of us kept the rest clear.  I kept a tamer in front to kill paras they brought to the entry.
    Yeah, overall the new system, monsters and rewards are good. Only issue I have is shard bound.

Anyway looking for better rewards and whatever monsters as long as i5s not one-hit-kill.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    some posts in breach of rules 1 and 7 have been removed.

1. Please Treat ALL Posters with Respect and Courtesy
    7. No Trolling - Do not post comments which have the sole purpose of causing an argument. You may express your opinion on a topic however, abuse to anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as you will not be tolerated.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Now that the treasures of the three is over (much needed event/rewards imo), I'm wondering myself what the deal is for the next event. 

Since we are just coming off a "treasures of" event I don't really know if they would do back to back ToT style (I wouldn't mind) events so it makes me think it might be more like the black gate stuff the prior month which is basically a champ spawn (in the woods).

If it does end up being a champ spawn, I think it would be cool to get drops in your pack like the cube (but of some stuff that can be used). The one thing that comes to mind is something like they did many years ago where random arties of Doom dropped in your pack but they were cursed. At the very least if it is a champ spawn, I hope they don't make the final drop 1 per account/shard again. That kind of crushed people repeating the spawn, so after the first week or so it was hard to actually find a group wanting to do it again (for no drops).

@Kyronix - My biggest question is what day will this start? As with anyone else, I want be around when it starts so I'd like to plan my time accordingly.
    Black gate no good, i dont like 1 character do once only.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Spoiler alert ;)

Guess where I am??

Methinks this is for the next event...

Looks like Yew?
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    keven2002 said:
    Looks like Yew?
    Yes, right outside Empath Abbey. 

Larisa said:
    keven2002 said:
    Looks like Yew?
    yay, event near my super castle at yew finally, i can cast spells from door steps!!!!
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    not sure if it’s just me but somehow i wish the break to be longer ....it was basically 3 - 4 back to back grinding events in 2 months...
    Larisa said:
    keven2002 said:
    Looks like Yew?
    WOW, that is cool !!

I much more prefer Events held out in the open rather then in Dungeons....

More power to YEW FOREST !!

Besides, I really like Yew and all of its environment....
    Aragorn said:
    not sure if it’s just me but somehow i wish the break to be longer ....it was basically 3 - 4 back to back grinding events in 2 months...
    YOU can feel free to take a break from the grind :) 

@Devs - This person speaks for nobody but them...give us allll the content!