UO not noob friendly

Comments

• UO has never been noob friendly. In the early days, that was what I liked about it. It was a game you learned by actually experiencing it instead of reading about it or having your hand held. When I started in the early days, you had to learn the hard way. Often by being murdered, stolen from, exploited from, etc. There were no step by step guides for anything. Wait I lie, there were plenty of step by step guides on how to exploit UO. But there were no or very few in depth skill guides, etc. But there were lots of people around who would actually answer questions & tons of active guilds. Today there are plenty of very in depth guides on UO now if you are willing to search for them. Quite frankly if you are not willing to, you are wasting your time playing UO. Things are different now. Most information is found via forrums, etc.

The population now is rather low, spread out, & much older with many real life obligations. Most people simply do not have the time or patience to really build many helpful communities. So many of us have just a few hours a day to play. Most of the older players are willing to help when they can but it is hard to consistently get them together.

These are just the facts of a 20+ year old game that has done very little to expose itself to new gaming audiences. On top of that, the market is oversaturated with MMO's. The only way to make this game more *friendly* to new players without ruining it, is basically to get more people to play it. The players themselves will tend to help each other out. It is about population in my opinion.

• New Legacy has the potential to make the game "Noob Friendly" by immersing new players into the game using a limited map.  less stuff to figure out in the beginning and the ability to learn the core systems with less clutter.  Then they can take their character(s) to a regular shard when it's done. could really have potential for a new player Introduction to the game.  
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited October 2020
    New Legacy has the potential to make the game "Noob Friendly" by immersing new players into the game using a limited map.  less stuff to figure out in the beginning and the ability to learn the core systems with less clutter.  Then they can take their character(s) to a regular shard when it's done. could really have potential for a new player Introduction to the game.  
    The potential of the New Legacy Server is certainly great, towards helping New players to learn the ways of Ultima Online BUT, at least to my opinion, it will also much depend on how much the Design of the Shard and of its mechanics will be able to contain and limit not only players' killing, but also the use of scripts and cheats/hacks...

I mean, I have zero doubts that it will attract lots of existing Veteran players whose only goal will be that of making the life miserable of those New players who will try to set foot in Ultima Online via the New Legacy Server and, knowing already the ins and outs of Ultima Online, these Veteran players, if also able to use scripts, hacks, cheats and Third Party utilities, will quickly get settled and advanced and, thus, own any New player that will try to start on the New Legacy Server...

Rinse and repeat for each start of a new Season...

Obviously, if this will happen, this might deter away new players after the few first times that they got pkilled in a match where they do not have a chance because their opponents are already far more advanced and knowledged as they are....

And the New Legacy Server will be a big fail in its main goal, should this happen, that to attract new players to Ultima Online....

So, at least to my opinion, the # 1 and outmost priority for the developers should be that of making real sure that players' killing will be severely punished on the New Legacy Server, and in a way that pkillers won't be able to work around or exploit, somehow, and that cheats, hacks and scripts will always be found out and heavily followed up with severe sanctions from day 1.

Otherwise, I am not seeing the New Legacy Server going to be of much use if any at all, to bring new players to Ultima Online and in this regards, it might become, should it will indeed become a failure to attract (and keep) new players to Ultima Online, consistently, a waste of time and resources invested into it ....
  • popps said:
    New Legacy has the potential to make the game "Noob Friendly" by immersing new players into the game using a limited map.  less stuff to figure out in the beginning and the ability to learn the core systems with less clutter.  Then they can take their character(s) to a regular shard when it's done. could really have potential for a new player Introduction to the game.  
    The potential of the New Legacy Server is certainly great, towards helping New players to learn the ways of Ultima Online BUT, at least to my opinion, it will also much depend on how much the Design of the Shard and of its mechanics will be able to contain and limit not only players' killing, but also the use of scripts and cheats/hacks...

I mean, I have zero doubts that it will attract lots of existing Veteran players whose only goal will be that of making the life miserable of those New players who will try to set foot in Ultima Online via the New Legacy Server and, knowing already the ins and outs of Ultima Online, these Veteran players, if also able to use scripts, hacks, cheats and Third Party utilities, will quickly get settled and advanced and, thus, own any New player that will try to start on the New Legacy Server...

Obviously, if this will happen, this might deter away new players after the few first times that they got pkilled in a match where they do not have a chance because their opponents are already far more advanced and knowledged as they are....

And the New Legacy Server will be a big fail in its main goal, should this happen, that to attract new players to Ultima Online....

So, at least to my opinion, the # 1 and outmost priority for the developers should be that of making real sure that players' killing will be severely punished on the New Legacy Server, and in a way that pkillers won't be able to work around or exploit, somehow, and that cheats, hacks and scripts will always be found out and heavily followed up with severe sanctions from day 1.

Otherwise, I am not seeing the New Legacy Server going to be of much use if any at all, to bring new players to Ultima Online and in this regards, it might become, should it will indeed become a failure to attract (and keep) new players to Ultima Online, consistently, a waste of time and resources invested into it ....
    Veterans will certainly play this shard along with new players. We will need Veterans there to help them with learning the core gameplay.  There may be cheaters, but then again they may put a system in place to limit the amount of cheats and hacks that will work. The truth of it is we just don't have enough information yet and any speculation is not based on fact. we will know more later so there is no need for all the negativity and doom saying, let's give it a chance before you start nailing the coffin shut. As a veteran player you should show a little more optimism and hope and be excited of the possibility that new players will be joining us. At least, that is how I see it . . .

popps said:

Veterans will certainly play this shard along with new players. We will need Veterans there to help them with learning the core gameplay.  There may be cheaters, but then again they may put a system in place to limit the amount of cheats and hacks that will work. The truth of it is we just don't have enough information yet and any speculation is not based on fact. we will know more later so there is no need for all the negativity and doom saying, let's give it a chance before you start nailing the coffin shut. As a veteran player you should show a little more optimism and hope and be excited of the possibility that new players will be joining us. At least, that is how I see it . . .
    I am all in favour of the New Legacy Shard, I am convinced that it has a lot of potential to facilitate the access of new players to Ultima Online.

That said, though, I am "also" convinced that its success of fail will much depend on "how" it will be done....

That we like it or not, Ultima Online has quite a record of some players playing it just for the fun of making fellow players' gaming life miserable.

And, unfortunately, it does not take that many of this type of detrimental players to deter away a whole bunch of other players and thus hurt UO of its players' base numbers....

So, the Project can be usefull, to my opinion, but only and if the New Shard will make sure that players' killers will be kept severely at bay and that hacks, cheats and scripts will be strongly detected and actions taken from day 1.

At least, that is how I see it.
  • popps said:
    popps said:

I am all in favour of the New Legacy Shard, I am convinced that it has a lot of potential to facilitate the access of new players to Ultima Online.

That said, though, I am "also" convinced that its success of fail will much depend on "how" it will be done....

That we like it or not, Ultima Online has quite a record of some players playing it just for the fun of making fellow players' gaming life miserable.

And, unfortunately, it does not take that many of this type of detrimental players to deter away a whole bunch of other players and thus hurt UO of its players' base numbers....

So, the Project can be usefull, to my opinion, but only and if the New Shard will make sure that players' killers will be kept severely at bay and that hacks, cheats and scripts will be strongly detected and actions taken from day 1.

So you're all for it, but you are proclaiming it's failure before it even get's released? Gotcha. Don't really have anything else to say to you Popps

popps said:
    popps said:

So you're all for it, but you are proclaiming it's failure before it even get's released? Gotcha. Don't really have anything else to say to you Popps
    Not at all !

Just saying that, to my opinion, there are some things (contain severely players' killing and cheats/hacks/scripting) which I think are important to determine whether or not the New Legacy Shard will succeed to attract and KEEP New Players playing Ultima Online...

So, we'll see how it will go.
  • I was wondering about if the Legacy Shard will have LRC items.  If it is the return to old school then it should not.  Let thieves be able to steal reagents in pvp :)
  • GlowemberGlowember Posts: 1
    edited November 2020
    I don't post much here, and I am also a returning player from a long time ago. Things certainly have changed. There was a comment about the game having 23 years worth of systems stacked upon each other. When I played, the goal was simple: Do what you wanted to do. It was a sandbox game, and your adventures weren't handed to you via quests. You went out with your friends and made your own adventures. The armor and weapon systems were simple. Now we have this complicated system of creating weapons and armor with the properties someone wants (or whatever the current meta is).

As a returning player, my goal is pretty straight forward. I want a house. I want to grow plants. My main character is a crafter, but I call him a merchant. I want to set up some vendors to sell both crafted items and materials. I want to create an environment that players will visit, have a conversation, and experience some fun.

I don't do PvM all that much, but I do have a new character that I am experimenting with on these skills. That's the fun of it. I don't want to subscribe to the current meta of having a "sampire" or other build. I want to try out different skill combinations and not be like everyone else. The whole meta thing comes from current day MMOs like WoW, which I never really enjoyed anyway.

I want to be what I want to be, and do it the way I want to do it. That's the beauty of lure of Ultima Online. I hope that the New Legacy shard will help achieve this. I do plan on being there, and will absolutely help mentor new players. 

By the way, I am glad to be back. I missed the game, and I missed the players. 

Edit: And oh wow, my signature. LOL. I had forgotten about it. Nostalgia to the max! 
    Theros Ironfeld
    UBB Shardmaster, Catskills
    Village of Edinburgh
    Glowember said:
    I don't post much here, and I am also a returning player from a long time ago. Things certainly have changed. There was a comment about the game having 23 years worth of systems stacked upon each other. When I played, the goal was simple: Do what you wanted to do. It was a sandbox game, and your adventures weren't handed to you via quests. You went out with your friends and made your own adventures. The armor and weapon systems were simple. Now we have this complicated system of creating weapons and armor with the properties someone wants (or whatever the current meta is).

As a returning player, my goal is pretty straight forward. I want a house. I want to grow plants. My main character is a crafter, but I call him a merchant. I want to set up some vendors to sell both crafted items and materials. I want to create an environment that players will visit, have a conversation, and experience some fun.

I don't do PvM all that much, but I do have a new character that I am experimenting with on these skills. That's the fun of it. I don't want to subscribe to the current meta of having a "sampire" or other build. I want to try out different skill combinations and not be like everyone else. The whole meta thing comes from current day MMOs like WoW, which I never really enjoyed anyway.

I want to be what I want to be, and do it the way I want to do it. That's the beauty of lure of Ultima Online. I hope that the New Legacy shard will help achieve this. I do plan on being there, and will absolutely help mentor new players. 

By the way, I am glad to be back. I missed the game, and I missed the players. 

Edit: And oh wow, my signature. LOL. I had forgotten about it. Nostalgia to the max! 
     I don't want to subscribe to the current meta of having a "sampire" or other build.
    This Paragraph here, I think is an important point that needs to be highlighted....

I am MUCH worried that, with the current "set up" for Events from now on, the so-called "Treasures of.....", much of the multitude of the Templates in Ultima Online will get neglected and what we will see is pretty much, from now on, what we have been seeing in Deceit....

Sampires, or should I say Dexers, and some more Dexers....

I sure hope that I am being pessimistic here, and that instead, with the future releases of these "Treasures of...." we will indeed see also other Templates being "THE" one Templates to be used to get the drops, and not just Sampires, Dexers and the likes....

I would LOVE to see content released for Bards, Rogues (not necessarily only Thieves...), Tamers, Treasure Hunters, Spellcasters in their various forms and shapes, Crafters in their various shapes and forms, Fishermen, Miners and Lumberjackers (why shouldn't they ever get some cool new items from their professions ?) and not just see Fighters, namely Sampires and Dexers, to have the highest drop rate somewhat be "tailored" for them, neglecting any of the other Professions in Ultima Online...

Also, I frankly do not understand WHY the new added content permits at all to have 1 kind of Template be THE ONE that gets the highest drops rate....

To my opinion, instead, the drop rate should be adjusted with some coding to be equalized for any and all types of Professions in Ultima Online so that we could see players enjoying it with their preferred and most enjoyable profession in Ultima Online and not just using the type of Template which "works the best" to get the most drops....

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    popps said:

Also, I frankly do not understand WHY the new added content permits at all to have 1 kind of Template be THE ONE that gets the highest drops rate....

Exactly. You do not understand game mechanics. Also you must not understand that if you have a ton of 1 hit mobs then a template that can move from one to the next can kill more over time.

You can use any template you want in Deceit. You will just get fewer drops.  Your choice.

There are 2 parts to the new dynamic spawns. The ones that are spawns are not as friendly to Melee once the levels advance.  The devs did a good job of balancing the two.  But someone like yourself who does not understand how to kill things in UO will just not get it.

Learn to Play UO before you make proclamations.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    popps said:

Exactly. You do not understand game mechanics. Also you must not understand that if you have a ton of 1 hit mobs then a template that can move from one to the next can kill more over time.

You can use any template you want in Deceit. You will just get fewer drops.  Your choice.

There are 2 parts to the new dynamic spawns. The ones that are spawns are not as friendly to Melee once the levels advance.  The devs did a good job of balancing the two.  But someone like yourself who does not understand how to kill things in UO will just not get it.

Learn to Play UO before you make proclamations.
    Maybe I was unfortunate to let myself be understood....

I do understand why PLAYERS pick the Template "that works".... the one that gets the most drops..... it is logical for the players....

What I do NOT understand, is why the "Developers" put out new content that "favours" a particular Template over all of the others.... and not only that.... why that Template is pretty much always the same.... it is either a Sampire or variations of that... still a Melee fighter...

What about all of the other Professions in Ultima Online ?

When will we see new "Treasures of...." content where actually it is Bards who gets the most drops.... or Fishermen.... or Treasure Hunters, or Rogues (not necessarily just Thieves...), or Tamers, or Spellcasters in their various forms and shapes, or Crafters in their various forms and shapes, or also Miners and Lumberjacks....

Got the hang of what I am trying to say ?

I do not see why the "Design" of the new content is pretty much most always one that favours Sampires or their variations.... dexers in general....

Why all of the other Professions in Ultima Online do not get this same treatment and are made able THEM, to get the most drops, rather then Melee Templates, sometimes ?
    edited November 2020
    @popps explain how they would make things to kill that favor a crafters template?  You make no sense at all.  We have 6 character slots. Make a melee toon if you want to participate in these events.  Even tho your archer or tamer will work and get drops.

And if your negativity has not driven them away, this event is very good for Noobs and returners. We leave the first floor to them on LS. I have a TAMER sitting out front that can kill any paragon that they bring to the entry.  Amazing how my tamer can kill the hardest things there...
    edited November 2020
    Pawain said:
    @ popps explain how they would make things to kill that favor a crafters template?  You make no sense at all.  We have 6 character slots. Make a melee toon if you want to participate in these events.  Even tho your archer or tamer will work and get drops.

And if your negativity has not driven them away, this event is very good for Noobs and returners. We leave the first floor to them on LS. I have a TAMER sitting out front that can kill any paragon that they bring to the entry.  Amazing how my tamer can kill the hardest things there...
    And who said that is "has to be" things to kill ?

Point being, WHY drops to then get Rewards have to come necessarily from fighting and, even then, MOSTLY from using a Sampire or a variation of ?

Can't the Developers Design drops to also go to other Templates so that players who prefer to use a Bard, or a Rogue, or a Treasure Hunter, or a Crafter etc. etc. will still be able to get drops and, thus Rewards ?

Why does it always have to be fighting and fighting and more fighting ?

What about all of the other Professions and Templates in Ultima Online ?

Why cannot they get their Rewards JUST THE SAME, using their favoured Templates and not be forced to have to use a fighting Template and, mind you, not even just "any" fighting Template, but most always a Sampire or a variation of, because, apparently, the highest rate of drops "happens" to always work for this type of a Template, rather then other Templates ?

Make a melee toon if you want to participate in these events. 
    This is precisely the mentality that I am opposing !!

Why on earth, a player who, say, enjoys playing a Bard, or a Rogue, or a Tamer, or a Crafter etc. etc. should be FORCED, because of the Developers only focus for the most part on one type of a Template for drops and thus Rewards, that is, Sampires and variations of them who happen to pretty much most always get the most drops ?

To my opinion, this is dead wrong.

Players should not be forced to "have to" make a different Template to the one that they more enjoy playing because "that is the Template that works" for that given Event.... I find this not only dead wrong, but also bad for Ultima Online as a whole because it kinda forces players to have to play a Template different to the one that they actually enjoy to play should they want to participate to a given Event and get whatever Rewards coming from it.....

That's not what gets players enjoy playing a game, to my thinking, if they have to play in a way different to the one that they enjoy should they want the Rewards coming from that Event....

Not to mention, that the Events do not even look to me to be "alternated".... that is, one Event focusing on one type of Template, the following Event on another type of a Template and so forth, thus going through ALL Professions in Ultima Online for players to get that Event's Rewards....

Nope, it is pretty much fighting and more fighting Event after Event.... and not just it is alwats fighting, but it also is Sampires and variations of Sampires who are most always favoured for the highest drop rates !!

That is not good towards promoting and favouring Ultima Online's hystorical variations and multitude of professions, me thinks.... it just promotes Sampires and their variations, over and over and over again.... Event after Event.....

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    @popps and all asking for event to be favourable to other templates... TOD is like champspawn except no final boss but has paragons.

Champspawn has been around for 20 over years and melee warriors have always been most efficient to clear the lower level spawns. 

Melee warrior, the tank and hand to hand combat soldier, has always been the most useful in most battles in Eodon, Peerless, Abyss, etc. Even mages and tamers need tanks - summons and pets, too. 

Support character remains a support role. Most of us also have bards and rogues etc. We have every character template for different purpose.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Its just like real life battles, are u going to ask to create a War for Cooks, Storeman, Signalers, Drivers? These are support roles, and can never lead a fight. Even artillery cannot lead and win fights, not even airforce. Eventually all battles are won and captured by the hardy Tanks and Soldiers.

Seth said:
    Its just like real life battles, are u going to ask to create a War for Cooks, Storeman, Signalers, Drivers? These are support roles, and can never lead a fight. Even artillery cannot lead and win fights, not even airforce. Eventually all battles are won and captured by the hardy Tanks and Soldiers.

Again, WHY on earth should the Rewards only come from kills and not from also other Professions?

Why cannot any and all Professions in Ultima Online be given, through Design, the ability to earn their points and thus claim their Rewards ?

Why does it "have to be" always through fighting and, mind you, most always through a Sampire or variations of it ?

This kills the variability of Ultima Online and its appealin having so many varied professions, doesn't it ?
    edited November 2020
    @popps if we could get more drops from crafting then we would make crafters.  Maybe you are confused because you are the only player that neither adapts or accepts the outcome of a particular event.  I doubt fishers get any deceit drops while in the seas of Tokuno.  They accept that, they can fish or go to the correct spot and fight.
    Pawain said:
    @ popps if we could get more drops from crafting then we would make crafters.  Maybe you are confused because you are the only player that neither adapts or accepts the outcome of a particular event.  I doubt fishers get any deceit drops while in the seas of Tokuno.  They accept that, they can fish or go to the correct spot and fight.
    Again, why is it MOST ALWAYS that these Events drops and Rewards are given to fighters characters and, even then, to Sampires and variations of and not also to "other" fighting characters in the same drop rate quantity ?

For example, next Event will be, to my understanding, Forest of the Dark.... well, will Lumberjackers then be able to get drops and thus Rewards from chpping Trees in that Forest of the Dark ?

I bet that it will again be killing stuff, and very likely that Sampires or their variations of will again be the Template "that works" to get the most drops....

Why couldn't and should't next Event be one that instead focused on ANOTHER TYPE of Profession in Ultima Online and not be a rinse and repeat fighting Event where only the MoBs and settings will change ?

Now no longer Deceit and Undeads but perhaps Yew surroundings and Orcs and Ogres ??

So is this what we are going to expect from this "Treasures or..." ?

Copy Cat of the play out of these Events, on and on with only the type of MoBs and Setting changing but pretty much the unfolding and playing out of the Event being same old same old and lways with fighting and always with Sampires and their variations of getting the most drops ?

Ain't that boring and monotonous and the contrary of interesting and varied gameplay through the playing of different and varied Templates ?
    popps said:
    Seth said:

Again, WHY on earth should the Rewards only come from kills and not from also other Professions?

Why cannot any and all Professions in Ultima Online be given, through Design, the ability to earn their points and thus claim their Rewards ?

Why does it "have to be" always through fighting and, mind you, most always through a Sampire or variations of it ?

This kills the variability of Ultima Online and its appealin having so many varied professions, doesn't it ?
    Its just the same reason why the warrior cannot make his own suit unless he swap out his skills. Like it or not, this is a hunting event, not artisan or rogue event.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    If the new shard is pre-AOS there will be no sampires...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Of_BeastsOf_Beasts Posts: 99
    edited November 2020
    redacted :)
    McDougle said:
    Even if there is such option, its hard to make one as efficient as the current servers, within a year before its wiped. Unless its like TC ofcourse, where we can get anything from the menu, lol.
  • Estel_RandirEstel_Randir Posts: 189
    edited November 2020
    P
    McDougle said:
    It would solve nothing. The game moves onto a new template for everyone to complain about. The playerbase has complained, complained, and complained for decades over this template and that. The playerbase  complains until peoples favorite template is nerfed & in a couple of weeks a new one rises out of the ashes and we start this whole thing over. When  people can pick and choose their own skills, you can never fully have an equal playing field. There has always been and always will be a flavor of the month template. For years in the early days this game was nicknamed *mages online* until melee templates became much more viable after AOS. The only times that all this even matters is in pvp (which is no longer dominant in UO) or when people are competing over the same loot (like this event).

Even games where there is no freedom to change skills and they are locked to a certain set, people complain about one *class* being overpowerd over the other.
    Seth said:
    popps said:
    Seth said:

Its just the same reason why the warrior cannot make his own suit unless he swap out his skills. Like it or not, this is a hunting event, not artisan or rogue event.
    How about some VARIABILITY in how the drops and the Rewards are awarded from Event to Event ?

Why cannot there be a ROTATION in what Profession was to get the most drops and best Rewards at any given Event ?

Does it always have to be Sampires or their variations of who get the most drops and Rewards at any and all Events ?

Serious ?
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    edited November 2020
    @popps I really don't understand where you're coming from. The very first character I made, back in 2000 was the one whose name I use for forums, Petra Fyde. She was, and is, a sword swinging warrior. I've not played her much recently, finding my tamer usually does better at straightforward hunting. But not for this event, for this my warrior has been dusted off and I'm enjoying playing her. She is not a sampire. There IS a rotation, you're just not seeing it. Some events I've done best on my tamer, some I do better with my bard. For the recent quest I used my tamer, my warrior, my archer, my bard, my treasure hunter and my thief to obtain the virtue tiles. How much more inclusive could it be?
    I have a variety of different characters, each has their part to play. Isn't that why we have multiple slots in our account rather than be restricted to just one? My crafters support my hunters, in return my hunters obtain resources to support my crafters. Both provide items for vendors to support fellow players; though I have no interest nor dealings in so-called 'rares', just day to day supplies.

I also, along with most of the people I play with, do what I can to support the 'noob' in the title of this thread. 
    edited November 2020
    popps said:

How about some VARIABILITY in how the drops and the Rewards are awarded from Event to Event ?

Why cannot there be a ROTATION in what Profession was to get the most drops and best Rewards at any given Event ?

Does it always have to be Sampires or their variations of who get the most drops and Rewards at any and all Events ?

Serious ?
    Seriously you could be correct to ask for variability, however, it remains that the monsters created for this hunting event "happens" to be faster for warriors (not just sampires). As I read in Stratics, many players posted warrior (dragoon) template for the event. I also see many players using archers and mages to clear those inaccessible monsters on ledges and ponds.

In the past, Katalkotl and Khaldun also have rogue elements added, so maybe future events may include them. Who knows.

BTW, mage-tamers can still get the drops. Consider that I am super lagged out in Atlantic, I used my spellweaving tamer mage to get over 100 drops in Atlantic using a Cu Sidhe and spell attacks. I exchanged for a Morphius epaulette and sold the remaining drops when the price was good. Now I am hunting on a third shard which I play. In all, there is enough time for me to play this event on 3 shards.
    edited November 2020
    One more thing where tamer/mage is more superior than sampire/warrior, is that it can always wear higher luck.

My warrior only has a one hour luck booster every 24 hours because of the statue. Without it, the luck is only 200+. But my tamer using the Cu Sidhe can always wear super 2480 luck suit (more than 3500 when using the statue), cast wildfire for area, and thunder for monsters behind wall. Its not too bad. 
  • dapHdapH Posts: 5

I played in 97/98 and then many years on „free shards“ (mostly rpg), so I’d like to give my feedback on this topic.

First I was surprised and I wallowed in memories, but the frustration overwhelmed quite fast. Luckily, I used google before launching UO and I found a great 101 video how an advanced player makes a sampire from the very first beginning. I don’t know how many hours this saved me for the simplest basic stuff.

I try it to keep it short, with basics:

-          first impression after the first login: what the…???

A total mess on the screen, bars everywhere and in disorder. Primary and secondary weapon attacks in the bar, not usable for xy hours of training.. that’s the first impression a completely noob should begin? As a bonus in 50% of the time the content of containers (even own backpack) became only visible after moving/reopening them – changing the game language to English solved it.

-          forum search, finding help for answers

Luckily, someone made a sticky post, that for a forum search, please use google (with the ‘site: ‘ ). A great help, but..ahm.. yes.

And, please try out “forum help” or “forum FAQ”, or to be more specific: how can I post on this forum? I could login with my game Account but couldn’t “post reply”/”create new..”. There was no such option/button..After _days_ of searching how to post my question(s) on the forum, and using for the login using different browsers, on different PC/laptop, made even another account, ….). No way,.. no answer. I found it out and the buttons appeared. .. Perhaps I will post the answer later.

Yes, using the in game help chat could be a possibility, but most times you get an hour later as response “Buy cheap UO gold at…”.

-          and some fundamental game play questions

How can I have a chat message window, that can be used as chat window? The spell fizzles, gaining confidence, etc spams aren’t helpful. I have also taken note of a non-existent combat log – who wants to know why and from what he died? pff.. Alternative options like custom UIs are obviously not available any more.

And any help with the targeting system in combat? “Target nearest enemy”, “Target next enemy” keybinding, the mob-bar or simple direct mouse-click works most of the time. But then, I don’t know how many times in my short playing a mob standing in my character couldn’t be targeted (even don’t show up in the mob bar) without aggroing everything in line of sight and beyond. And yes, it often ended in dismounting myself and corpse running.

.. oh my, I could write so much more.

Perhaps the title should be changed in “UO is not player friendly”?

Seth said:
    popps said:

Serious ?
    Seriously you could be correct to ask for variability, however, it remains that the monsters created for this hunting event "happens" to be faster for warriors (not just sampires). As I read in Stratics, many players posted warrior (dragoon) template for the event. I also see many players using archers and mages to clear those inaccessible monsters on ledges and ponds.

In the past, Katalkotl and Khaldun also have rogue elements added, so maybe future events may include them. Who knows.

BTW, mage-tamers can still get the drops. Consider that I am super lagged out in Atlantic, I used my spellweaving tamer mage to get over 100 drops in Atlantic using a Cu Sidhe and spell attacks. I exchanged for a Morphius epaulette and sold the remaining drops when the price was good. Now I am hunting on a third shard which I play. In all, there is enough time for me to play this event on 3 shards.
    That's odd, though, that also Deceit's Treasure of the Undead Lords was Warriors friendly... as it was also the Invasions (although this is old content) before them....

What I am trying to say is, that Event after Event, new content after new content, it looks to me that the Template "that works best" is quite often, too often I would say, a Warrior be it a Sampire of variations of it....