Is now a good time to talk about UO store shard shields?

JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 882
edited October 2020 in General Discussions
With all the talk of shard bound artifacts and drops etc.  Another solution for those of us that are not old enough to own vet shard shields, how about @mesanna creates some for the store.

like house teleported were

to keep vets happy how about store shard shields that produce a token every 6/8 weeks 

that way EVERYBODY can enjoy free movement and trade. I think we can all here that Atl is the place to sell your wares.

something like 5k sovereigns a pair I know I would be send many $40 transactions their way 

then the shard bound property can be dropped from all artifacts 

dealing with em event multiboxers etc is another argument  but shard bound is just punishing the masses 

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Why would they charge 5000 for an something that recharges when there is a 1 time 29000 transfer?  Seems $10 per transfer is the going rate.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    With all the talk of shard bound artifacts and drops etc.  Another solution for those of us that are not old enough to own vet shard shields, how about @ mesanna creates some for the store.

to keep vets happy how about store shard shields that produce a token every 6/8 weeks 

that way EVERYBODY can enjoy free movement and trade. I think we can all here that Atl is the place to sell your wares.

something like 5k sovereigns a pair I know I would be send many $40 transactions their way 

dealing with em event multiboxers etc is another argument  but shard bound is just punishing the masses 
    @JackFlashUk how about no. If you want a shield, become a 14 year vet wait patiently like everyone else. If you wanna transfer, just buy a transfer token from the store. Since you like shard bound you don't have a need for transfering anyway.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    There are plenty of 14+ year vets that do xfers for free so why would you think something would even sell.
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 882
    edited October 2020
    RockStaR said:
    With all the talk of shard bound artifacts and drops etc.  Another solution for those of us that are not old enough to own vet shard shields, how about @ mesanna creates some for the store.

@ JackFlashUk how about no. If you want a shield, become a 14 year vet wait patiently like everyone else. If you wanna transfer, just buy a transfer token from the store. Since you like shard bound you don't have a need for transfering anyway.
    erm, go back and check our conversation, I HATE shard bound, I want it completely removed, you must be mistaking me for someone else. 

And your point about being patient is just about the most ridiculous answer ever. Seeing as rates collectors and vets can freely take items to Atl for profit, good luck to them, my point is why cant everyone enjoy the privilege. Vet rewards a just that, a reward and they should NOT negatively affect others. It gives a way overpowered unfair advantage and we lesser mortals should be able to buy a lesser shard shield just like they did with house teleporters.

I see it as a way for the Dev team to make a lot more $$$ to help support the game, I buy Ofer tokens for gold in game, but they would get $$$ from me as I would like to own shard shields of my own, and all being honest, I have another 7 odd years to wait "patiently" for them. Who knows what the game will be doing, or me for that matter in that time.

This is an opportunity for the Devs to make $$$ now

Hence why I keep asking for them :)
    edited October 2020
    @RockStaR thinks everyone is for shard bound.  Only popps and a few that do not play enough to understand how Atlantic is the hub of commerce where things travel from Origin etc to Sonoma etc via Atlantic.  They think everything stays on Atlantic.
  • I find it really odd that people get so offended that I ask for shard shield to be in the store. This would enhance my gameplay immensely, and it wont hurt them at all.

I just don't get why they are so opposed to the idea.

I cant help that I  did not play this game for longer or discover it in my younger years., but I can make up for it with $$$

At the end of the day I am a willing paying customer and I bet many other will also buy them.
    They should let players buy years for $160.  Others have requested that.
  • interesting idea ;)

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I think creating two classes of players one that can travel and one that cannot was a mistake that went a long way to create the problems the game has now.  I don’t think a 14 year waiting period to get something that allows a player to do something most other current players can do now is going to be an incentive for newer players that have shown an interest in the game to play for another 14 years.  As a newer player, I just find the artificial barriers the game imposes to keep me  from getting basic household items I can actually use more than frustrating.  I think if I want a Davie Jones locker or a crystal portal I should be able to go to the UO store and buy one.

i agree with JackFlashUk it’s time to make the transfer shields available to all players that have played long enough to have houses in which the shields can be installed.  Atlantic may be the hub now for most trade but for players on other shards paying the same subscription fee as everyone else that have no way of getting there it’s not much of an incentive to continue to play the game.

@Arnold7 ; said: i agree it’s time to make the transfer shields available to all players that have played long enough to have houses in which the shields can be installed. 

A month?
    How about 1 hour
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2020
    What is their reason to make artifacts shard bound? I have yet to see a valid reasoning posted, discussed and agreed by players in this forum. Maybe there is such a post and missed it, please provide the link.

And if the reason is so good and correct, then please convert all existing wearable items to shard bound, or cancel 14 year vet reward, and remove character transfer shield from uo store.

If there is no such reason posted anywhere, you know what this means.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Was thinking of players like myself that have been playing the game In good faith for the first time.  Don’t really have a problem with a waiting period of six months or a year before a paying player could make a purchase. But, 14 years seems a little excessive.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865

This is an opportunity for the Devs to make $$$ now

Hence why I keep asking for them :)
       Pushing quality changes people want, would give them more consistent $$$ in the form of Subs.   However, much of the time, it doesn't seem like the route they're heading.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    edited October 2020

Shard bound means they do not want us to transfer the items. This means negating the use of all existing shard transfer shields, including single use shard shield and vet shard shields.

Referring back to my proposal in another post, it would be better if they open up the all the shard economy and make item transfer (not character transfer) a norm that do not require any paid shields or vet rewards.

If anyone can recall, some players visiting low pop servers cannot even find a spellbook. I don't wish to keep repeating this fact.

Now, they even started to "shard bound" more and more items.

Seriously, it should head the other direction:
    1) Allow items to be traded without character transfer (i.e. copy items)
    2) Character transfer can remain as it is (meant for either completely migrate or to just fly over to participate in EM events).

How it should work:
    1) I login to Shard A, found an item at a vendor.
    2) I click purchase with shard transfer, select my shard and funding source (choose between local or destination shard), then log off.
    3) I login my Shard B, open the menu to confirm that transfer.
    4) Item is removed from Shard A, and the item is re-created in Shard B (in my bank account).

Its easier to implement than Character transfer because now copy items only, not whole character.
    edited October 2020
    Due to the long final post on this issue, I am splitting the 2nd post:

While low pop shards may lack or run out of basic items at times:
    Not everything is found on Atlantic.

There were several occasions that I found specific items that I need from other less populated shard. For example I was looking for a mage slayer spellbook which happened to have none for sale on Atlantic, but after searching all the shards, I found only one at a Japanese shard. They have much less spellbook overall but happen to have one Mage Slayer spellbook.

In another occasion I was looking for Minax sandals with specific -3% resistance, and and that was found on another shard - not Atlantic.

I missed the earlier event and thank goodness managed to find the fellowship medallion from another shard - not Atlantic.

Overall, there are only advantages to open up more cross shard trading. Prices may even become more competitive because of more supply. There was a POF seller at Asuka selling each at only 70k.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Seth said:

Shard bound means they do not want us to transfer the items. This means negating the use of all existing shard transfer shields, including single use shard shield and vet shard shields.

Referring back to my proposal in another post, it would be better if they open up the all the shard economy and make item transfer (not character transfer) a norm that do not require any paid shields or vet rewards.

If anyone can recall, some players visiting low pop servers cannot even find a spellbook. I don't wish to keep repeating this fact.

2) Character transfer can remain as it is (meant for either completely migrate or to just fly over to participate in EM events).

How it should work:
    2) I click purchase with shard transfer, select my shard and funding source (choose between local or destination shard), then log off.
    4) Item is removed from Shard A, and the item is re-created in Shard B (in my bank account).

Its easier to implement than Character transfer because now copy items only, not whole character.
    No, to my understanding Shard Bound means making sure that a lowly populated Shard is not totally void of given items because they are ferried to the more profitable Atlantic for their sale...

That is, it means that even on a low populated Shard items which are Shard Bound CAN still be found by players who play those Shards... especially now that, with Commission Vendors, players can place those items up for sale on their Vendors and sit there without paying any Vendor fee until they actually sell.

And no, it does NOT negate at all existing transfer shields at all, to my opinion, since there is still a whole bunch of items, not Shard Bound, which can be taken to other Shards.

edited October 2020
    popps said:
    Seth said:

How it should work:

No, to my understanding Shard Bound means making sure that a lowly populated Shard is not totally void of given items because they are ferried to the more profitable Atlantic for their sale...

That is, it means that even on a low populated Shard items which are Shard Bound CAN still be found by players who play those Shards... especially now that, with Commission Vendors, players can place those items up for sale on their Vendors and sit there without paying any Vendor fee until they actually sell.

And no, it does NOT negate at all existing transfer shields at all, to my opinion, since there is still a whole bunch of items, not Shard Bound, which can be taken to other Shards.

Your understanding is completely wrong. It's been repeated by many players here. If your understanding is correct, then as I said, please convert all existing item to shard bound, which in turn negates the need for any transfer shields.

If you can follow my logic then that is fine, otherwise I don't any see any point arguing further because its already as concise as I can get.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited October 2020
    popps said:
    A. No, to my understanding Shard Bound means making sure that a lowly populated Shard is not totally void of given items because they are ferried to the more profitable Atlantic for their sale...

B. That is, it means that even on a low populated Shard items which are Shard Bound CAN still be found by players who play those Shards... especially now that, with Commission Vendors, players can place those items up for sale on their Vendors and sit there without paying any Vendor fee until they actually sell.

C. And no, it does NOT negate at all existing transfer shields at all, to my opinion, since there is still a whole bunch of items, not Shard Bound, which can be taken to other Shards.

@popps

To respond to your 3 points in order;

A. You are only focussing on stage 1 of each transaction. Stage 1 we sell what we have accumulated to others who need stuff on Atlantic Market Hub - Stage 2 of a Trading transaction, we buy what we need, and bring it back to our home shard. It's a circle.

B. Don't confuse the higher end items trading pattern with Commission Vendors. Higher end items go via Atlantic for the market, whilst Commission Vendors enable smaller shards to maintain a stock of all the lower end vital items that help maintain a shard for it's population, that are not worthwhile taking to Atlantic, and without the Commission Vendors, would not therefore be sold as there would not be a platform for it.

C. It doesn't negate Shard Shields for sure, agreed. It does put a little dent in them. What it does mess up, is those PvPers or Characters who want to transfer with Gear who may have a wearable in the gear that cannot transfer with the character - so an entire suit can get messed up. If there is 1 impossible thing in this game to get right already, it's the suits.

edited October 2020

@jackflashuk - My opinion is the entire Veteran Reward system could do with an overhaul.

It's been good and had a point while it lasted, but it has got to a point where so many really desirable items are sat in there, and it could do with sorting out.

I made a post about bringing all the Statues back into the game, as Huntsman style Collectable Quest rewards off the specific monster it relates to.

But now, so many picks, good ones, bad ones, who really is going to get another 22 years into this game? Not physically enough picks for what you want.

I do agree, I believe stuff could do with having much more availability right now.

edited October 2020
    Cookie said:
    popps said:
    A. No, to my understanding Shard Bound means making sure that a lowly populated Shard is not totally void of given items because they are ferried to the more profitable Atlantic for their sale...

B. That is, it means that even on a low populated Shard items which are Shard Bound CAN still be found by players who play those Shards... especially now that, with Commission Vendors, players can place those items up for sale on their Vendors and sit there without paying any Vendor fee until they actually sell.

C. And no, it does NOT negate at all existing transfer shields at all, to my opinion, since there is still a whole bunch of items, not Shard Bound, which can be taken to other Shards.

@ popps

To respond to your 3 points in order;

A. You are only focussing on stage 1 of each transaction. Stage 1 we sell what we have accumulated to others who need stuff on Atlantic Market Hub - Stage 2 of a Trading transaction, we buy what we need, and bring it back to our home shard. It's a circle.

B. Don't confuse the higher end items trading pattern with Commission Vendors. Higher end items go via Atlantic for the market, whilst Commission Vendors enable smaller shards to maintain a stock of all the lower end vital items that help maintain a shard for it's population, that are not worthwhile taking to Atlantic, and without the Commission Vendors, would not therefore be sold as there would not be a platform for it.

C. It doesn't negate Shard Shields for sure, agreed. It does put a little dent in them. What it does mess up, is those PvPers or Characters who want to transfer with Gear who may have a wearable in the gear that cannot transfer with the character - so an entire suit can get messed up. If there is 1 impossible thing in this game to get right already, it's the suits.

I dissent.

It actually HELPS the economy of the lower populated Shards because, if the character cannot transfer there their wearable items which are Shard Bound, guess what ? They will need to BUY THEM on that lower population Shard thus helping the economy there and actually motivating players to PLAY on low population Shards and re-populate them so as to get those Shard Bound items on those Low Population Shards.....

Which it is, as I understand, the goal and #1 reason for having Shard Bound items....

Not ALL items made a Shard Bound, but "also" some items made as Shard Bound, possibly also good items (such as the 10% SSI footware...) so that players will have a reason to participate to Events on lower population Shard because they know that, eventually, being those items Shard Bound, someone either actively playing on that Shard OR transferring from another Shard might need them and only be able to buy them on that Low Population Shard from a "local" of that Shard who participated to the Event when it was live...

And that, to my humble opinion, DOES HELP to revive and make players more actively want to play "also" on those lower population Shards...

Shard Bound items are a blessing for lower Population Shards and those players who actively play on them, to my opinion.

Finally something which the "locals" of low Population Shards might be able to sell on their Shards for a good gold income rather then always being Atlantic the highest fetching gold market....
    edited October 2020

@popps - the items scarcity will be low, I can promise you already, I'm farming flat out for just myself! and my characters.

The prices of these shard bound items are going to be insane and out of anybody's reach due to their rareness. That will not help anyone on any server.

My belief is two things;

1. More players would have farmed these if they were not shard bound, therefore there would be more of them available for the entire population. Players who did not need these items, but wanted to trade them, to raise gold for other areas of their game, would have joined in the farming - I know of many such players who are sitting this event out. So we will be in a situation where there are less items due to less players farming, and items will be stuck on shards only with no movement. Some small shards could really lose out here.

2. If they had opened this up in Felucca, we could have obviously got more of these items within the timeframe - good for the game? AND we could have made some pretty decent PvP events around this, it's a high end objective, which is basically what I PvP for.

Question for you @popps - what is your solution to the fact some characters could not now transfer their character and suit across, to be ready to play on another server? Is this as intended? Do you have a solution?

Cookie said:

@ popps - the items scarcity will be low, I can promise you already, I'm farming flat out for just myself! and my characters.

The prices of these shard bound items are going to be insane and out of anybody's reach due to their rareness. That will not help anyone on any server.

My belief is two things;

1. More players would have farmed these if they were not shard bound, therefore there would be more of them available for the entire population. Players who did not need these items, but wanted to trade them, to raise gold for other areas of their game, would have joined in the farming - I know of many such players who are sitting this event out. So we will be in a situation where there are less items due to less players farming, and items will be stuck on shards only with no movement. Some small shards could really lose out here.

2. If they had opened this up in Felucca, we could have obviously got more of these items within the timeframe - good for the game? AND we could have made some pretty decent PvP events around this, it's a high end objective, which is basically what I PvP for.

Question for you @ popps - what is your solution to the fact some characters could not now transfer their character and suit across, to be ready to play on another server? Is this as intended? Do you have a solution?

Question - what is your solution to the fact some characters could not now transfer their character and suit across, to be ready to play on another server? Is this as intended? Do you have a solution?
    I answered to that in my previous Post already....

Aside from the fact that players transfering can still use non Shard Bound items which abound in Ultima Online, they can still purchase whatever wearable Shard Bound items on the Shard that they want to transfer to.

And this will open up a market for Shard Bound items on low Population Shards and revive the economy on those Shards, something which is now entirely missing....

So, Shard Bount items are not just good, but VERY good for those Low Population Shards, to my opinion....

• I opened this post about shard shields let’s keep it current.  Shard bound is for another thread

thanks 
    Or UO could provide a Shard Xfer that is limited to what you are wearing plus say 25 items in your bank and 0 items in your backpack with lets say 6 pets or just 25 items total and 100M gold at $5 one way.  UO is already losing enough money with the 14th year reward
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    you guys act like nobody wants this...
    I have seen many people ask for this at meet and greets.

And I have asked people who do have the shard shields, on my home shard and they are for it.

I keep hearing people say, that if you want to have stuff sent, to just send with someone else.
    I do this now, with people that I trust.

I no longer do it with people I don't know. I once did that on another shard, because people in general chat said that the person was trustworthy. Apparently it must have been the same person on multiple accounts, or the person replying was in on the scam. I never saw my stuff again...

===============

I currently have a few friends willing to take stuff to other shards for me. But I also feel guilty for asking, so I give them gold or items for doing it for me. And sometimes when I ask, they don't have room to take my items. One person actually has to move stuff out of their bank, in order to be able to do the transfer, so I really feel extra guilty...

=============

I understand that this is a vet reward and that people earned them. 
    And that you can purchase a token in the store for character transfer.
    I have used a few of these tokens...
    but if there was a token for shard shields in the store,
    there would be lot more purchases from me (and others like me)

==============

my suggestion...

Vet reward shard shields
    give transfer tokens
    (the vets can take up to 5 pack horses filled with stuff)

And add to the store
    shard book
    (looks like power scroll book or the anniversary tome, but has shard emblem on cover)
    gives shard token, that works like the current vet token
    (can't take pack horses with items)

================

by doing this, everyone has the opportunity to travel.
    And the more you travel, the more of these tokens you would buy from the store.

for example: 
    I have been learning recently to declutter.
    And while learning what is selling, I've been sending stuff to Atlantic with others.
    Just this last month I have sent stuff more than 4 times.
    (with at least 5 different people)

if shard shields were in the store
    that would have been 8 tokens I would have bought.
    (4 to go to Atlantic and 4 to return)

And I am sure, that the longer I would have those shard shields.
    the more I would want to use them...
    and becoming more frequent trips, I would want to purchase more.

And because I am currently relying on others for transport...
    I am not purchasing very many of the transfer tokens at all.
    but shard shields I would...

@Cinderella it is not the players it is EA and what they will allow.  I was VERY shocked when they allowed UO to make the Shard Shield reward as it cuts into their profit from Xfer Tokens.  I do not see UO changing the Shard Shield to allow more items to be xfered and if UO were allowed to make a store shield then IMHO it would have to be a very limited (items/gold allowed) and be a single use item only or EA/UO would probably never sell a Xfer Token again.  
    I opened this post about shard shields let’s keep it current.  Shard bound is for another thread

thanks 
    Indeed.

I liked this idea though... https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/44298/#Comment_44298

about which I replied saying that I liked it https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/44307/#Comment_44307

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Bilbo said:
    @ Cinderella it is not the players it is EA and what they will allow.  I was VERY shocked when they allowed UO to make the Shard Shield reward as it cuts into their profit from Xfer Tokens.  I do not see UO changing the Shard Shield to allow more items to be xfered and if UO were allowed to make a store shield then IMHO it would have to be a very limited (items/gold allowed) and be a single use item only or EA/UO would probably never sell a Xfer Token again.  
    I think I have only ever used 3 transfer tokens myself.
    (one was given to me as a gift)

EA got $ for 3 transfer tokens
    if this was implimented, they would get $ for at least 20 - 25
    (i know this number would be higher, because I know I would want to do more transfers)

And that would just my purchases.
    I know there would be lot more people who would want these.

============

And by suggesting the veterans being able to take more...
    they did earn the right to be rewarded for their loyalty to the game.

=============

the thing is... 
    people do take stuff to Atlantic to sell, because the market is there.
    I have been selling stuff there, so that I can take back what I need to Sonoma.
    And I'm sure that whoever purchases my stuff, is taking it to where they need it too.

this purchasing and selling is addictive...
    which for me has required more trips back and forth.
    I currently have been having others to take stuff for me.
    with this option, EA would benefit for the sells of this type token.
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited October 2020
    ive thought this for a while.  any other game would have shard consolidations by now, UO cant because of the unique situation with housing.  players must rely on transfers.

that being said, i think they shouldnt be cheap.  id say $75 - $100 would be a pricepoint where people would buy them, but it would still make financial sense.  maybe 2 shields for $130 (since you really need at least 2 be functional)