I'm here for a "Remove Trap" change plea, and also a question for the devs...

"Remove Trap" is literally killing me in dungeons.I'd like to plea for a damage reduction based on the "Remove Trap" skill level...

I'd love to use the skill in dungeons, on Paragon chests and on the static chests that spawn all over the place, but I get blown up. A lot. Not the dart / poison traps (although the deadly poison one can be REALLY tough to cure sometimes), but the purple potion traps...

Yes, I could resort to Telekinesis, but sometimes you'd like to stay hidden in a dungeon, or you don't want to drop a Paragon chest on the ground because someone else is nearby who could take it away...

If you're a GM Remove Trap, I don't believe you should ever die from a single failed attempt at max HP. There should be a bonus for not using "Telekinesis" regarding survivability, in my view...

Also a question for the devs, I was wondering why "Remove Trap" never succeeds on the first attempt anymore? I have a second t-hunter in training do about 9 stash t-maps and 3 supply t-maps in a row, and it ALWAYS took 3 attempts to open the chest at skill level around 70. The first two attempts failed every single time, and then succeeded on the 3rd attempt...

I am not a gambling man, but with odds like that I should really buy a lottery ticket. That can't be random. Is this a hard coded thing?

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Absolutely agree.

As it is, Remove Trap is a total joke, to my opinion.

Even at GM Remove Trap, which is as good as one can get to, I fail (and die) so much from trying to use this skill on Dungeon and Hidden Chests that it is not even funny....

If there is a skill that fails so often at its Max setting 100.0, that is Remove Trap.

Perhaps a fine tuning and adjustment of the settings for this skill might be due @Kyronix and @Bleak ?

Personally, I am of the opinion that, if one goes all the way to maximize a given skill, then they should be entitled to see that skill work and be succesfull 100% of times or, at most, 99% of times.

And this is what happens with a whole lot of skills in Ultima Online, take spellcasting where 120 skill ensures 100% casting of any spell without any fizzling.... or 100% where, if not aggroed, it ensures hiding 100% of times.... or stealthing, where 120 skill level ensures stealthing 100% in any type of armor, etc. etc. etc.

Lockpicking, Remove Trap (skills related to Chests' opening) are, oddily enough, among those skills which, even when having 100% skill level, do not guarantee their success.

And this is not fair since other skills, instead, DO guarantee success rate at their max level.
  • popps said:

And this is not fair since other skills, instead, DO guarantee success rate at their max level.

Wrong.  Try having a fully scrolled archer whiff 5 times in a row on a rat mage LOL
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Add Mysticism, Spellweaving, Tailoring, Cooking, Blacksmithing..... hmm might be easier to list the ones that don't fail actually.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    popps said:

Wrong.  Try having a fully scrolled archer whiff 5 times in a row on a rat mage LOL
    Well, that is my point.... some skills do guarantee a 100% success rate while some others don't...

And I find that strange.... why would some skills be favoured that they can guarantee a 100% success rate when maxed out but others would not ?
  • qweryqwery Posts: 23
    The bad thing about the current Remove Trap is that you always have to fail 3 times for any treasure chest above lv3, even if it is a GM skill.
    No matter how lucky you are, the trap will never be disarmed in one attempt.
    However, if you don't use the trap disarming skill on the treasure chest you dug out and leave it alone for 3 minutes, you can disarm the trap with a single Remove Trap.
    It's a meaningless specification. Once you've dug out the treasure chest, it's time for tea!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I open scalis chests and a lot of chest recently from Deceit paras. Remove trap fails way to much and then blows up way to much.  Mine is 96 so far, takes forever to increase because it wont daily gain when they blow up.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    At 90 don’t think it ever flails on treasure map chests.  Sounds like dungeon chests have a different rule set.  Are their levels more like the levels Ultima had prior to treasure map change to stash thru trove?  Sounds like telekinesis still works on those.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Arnold7 said:
    At 90 don’t think it ever flails on treasure map chests.  Sounds like dungeon chests have a different rule set.  Are their levels more like the levels Ultima had prior to treasure map change to stash thru trove?  Sounds like telekinesis still works on those.

I want to train Remove trap not train my magery from 5 to 10...
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    edited October 2020
    Arnold7 said:
    I think it is still using the old / original code for dungeon chests, digging from old stractics page:

• Different traps have different levels of difficulty. 
    • Wearing gloves will make it harder to succeed. The heavier the gloves, the worse it is.
    next time try to use bare hand and see if the success rate improves. I cleaned up all my paragon chests just tonight by telekinesis so i can’t try myself.