New Legacy Questions from us.

Comments

• KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    As being built up as the "biggest and boldest endeavor" it was a HUGE letdown.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • For the small team, this probably is a huge endeavor.  But I'm not seeing the draw for largest crowds ever...

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 81
    edited September 2020
    The shard deletes once a year or whatever anyway, who cares if you can get ganked there? What incentive is there to even get invested? Nobody in game seems excited by this and I play on Atl.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    The other thing that will come into play for the character transfer after the shattering would be how many chars can we transfer (it sounded like we would have more than 1 available (but maybe not 7). In the event it's 3 (room for a mage/warrior/crafter) then are you able to transfer all 3 or do you have to pick one? If you can transfer all 3 can they go to different shards because if they all had to go to the same shard this might cause issues.
  • Oh okay it literally is a newbie feeder shard. Well, whatever.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    new content? Well, there's the stuff that's listed in the newsletter, just starting with the Black Gate. Personally I'm so immersed in playing existing content, there's so much of it, that I have trouble finding time for the new stuff.
    Why would any vet create a character on the Legacy shard?  Maybe to mentor and recruit newer players for their shard and/or guild? At the end of the season of legacy they need to choose a shard to move to. Some people will want to help them choose.
  • What an exciting time to be an Avatar in the world of Sosaria.  

I couldn't be more thrilled about all of this.

I guess its time to -get good- at PVP.  haha
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
    Why would any vet create a character on the Legacy shard?  Maybe to mentor and recruit newer players for their shard and/or guild? At the end of the season of legacy they need to choose a shard to move to. Some people will want to help them choose.
    A younger more cynical me would say to prey on those new players that don't know the in's and out's of the game yet  >:)
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2020
    Trying to find a "less toxic" thread to contribute my thoughts... lol, ok this thread looks good so I will paste them here;

I was thinking about "Effort vs Reward". Its quite a rush post but happy to expand my thoughts later. I might be missing somethings but here goes:

===
    Option A:
    Designing a new game server with completely new ruleset Versus

Option B:
    Improving existing major issues

1) dealing with the old 1990s graphics
    2) lack of marketing to acquire new players
    3) mass exodus to Atlantic (only one well pop shard in whole game)
    4) lack of basic items trading in low pop shard
    5) Dealing with existing bug issues with classic shard (e.g. vendor search, EC bugs)
    ====

So lets' say implementing Legacy Shard is level 10 effort.
    End results: Not quite sure where this leads us.

What is the effort to implement the following (I say its only level 5 to 6 in comparison)
    - Update graphics
    - Clean up existing bugs
    - Marketing
    - Implement cross shard trading (just transfer items not character) without 14 years wait
    End results: Sure to appeal to existing players + drive new players to join.

Conclusion: why put in level 10 effort to implement something which we are unsure of the results, why not use just half the effort for more direct issues and make things happen faster.

===
    P.S. Regarding the bugs, why expect new players when we cannot even clear out existing bugs. When vet players are going crazy about the bugs, we may still stay but new players will just leave.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    My question is:
    Considering pretty much every member of this forum said they didn’t want a new non transferrable shard.
    Why are you now all so interested in how it’s going to work? When it’s not going to affect you and it’s not for you, it’s for new (better)people.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Mervyn said:
    My question is:
    Considering pretty much every member of this forum said they didn’t want a new non transferrable shard.
    Why are you now all so interested in how it’s going to work? When it’s not going to affect you and it’s not for you, it’s for new (better)people.
    Actually that is the reason why we are interested, because it's so much effort put in, but they would not affect any of us directly. However as others have pointed out, it could take time away from dealing with existing bugs and issues. They already said its a small Dev team, so they need to be careful to decide where is the best place for their effort.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Again @Mervyn with his BS facts.  Please show us where the Devs stated that this was for new players only. Now, for the first time in 15 years, we are welcoming new players and old to forge their Britannian Legacy in a brand new shard focused on returning Ultima Online to its fundamental roots as an RPG.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Mervyn said:
    My question is:
    Well, not necessarily it "won't affect" the current players not interested in the New Legacy Shard....

It MUCH DEPENDS on whether, the time that the current Development Team that we saw at Live Stream will be then limited in what they can provide to the current players, for the current Servers, if they need to invest their time into this New Project....

As an example, look at the issues with Vendor Search that many players have been lamenting for quite a while now....
    edited September 2020
    Just a general comment Bilbo, for something to be a fact, it doesn’t need to come from a dev. I quite often correct them. 

You can play the new shard if you want, but a little ironic considering you were dead against it:

” The damage was done long ago and closing the barn door does nothing considering all the cows left and are on the BBQ.  Taking away Xfers and SS would only add more straws to an already strained camels back.” Bilbo

As for people being concerned about time being taken away from devs for bug fixing, they didn’t fix bugs before, what makes you think they are going to start now? 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Mervyn said:
    Just a general comment Bilbo, for something to be a fact, it doesn’t need to come from a dev. I quite often correct them. 

You can play the new shard if you want, but a little ironic considering you were dead against it:

” The damage was done long ago and closing the barn door does nothing considering all the cows left and are on the BBQ.  Taking away Xfers and SS would only add more straws to an already strained camels back.” Bilbo

As for people being concerned about time being taken away from devs for bug fixing, they didn’t fix bugs before, what makes you think they are going to start now? 
    Well, to tell the truth, though, Ultima Online did get some good NEW content over the course of 2019 or existing content like High Seas and Treasure Maps been reworked....

Now, whether some players liked the end result and some others didn't is not important here, what is important is, that throughout 2019 the Developing Team did work full time on making UO a better gaming experience for all players playing it.

With the New Legacy Shard Project going on, will this still be possible ?

This is what several players not much interested in the New Legacy Shard are wondering about....

Many current, existing players are afraid that they will only see an Event thrown here and an Event thrown there with the current new Tools, perhaps some new items or some Deco new stuff, but nothing really being new, like a new Dungeon, a new landmass, a new storyline developing across a Year span.... you know, something which did not exist before and gets Developed anew for the current Shards....
    edited September 2020
    Well, everytime they work on something new for prodo shards, they inevitably make the game slowly more and more complex. So I’m fine if they let them settle for a while.

Q Will the new shard have a lower mana cost bonus for non medable armour?
    Follow up question, how the heck are new players going to know about it? Or are the devs going to pull their fingers out and actually do the work to display the property on the armour.

• They need to really think before the release date.
    Nothing prevent anyone to start 100's of new EJ accounts and collect the 1000gp and quick raise so much gold and place houses or buy gears or even sell the gold.

NewShard said:
    They need to really think before the release date.
    Nothing prevent anyone to start 100's of new EJ accounts and collect the 1000gp and quick raise so much gold and place houses or buy gears or even sell the gold.

It is faster, and less hassle scripting 24/7 just 2 or 3 accounts, maybe 4, for skills training and gold farming...

That is why I insist that the New Legacy Shard should be released with a new Client of its own that was particularly detecting the use of cheats from players....

I suspect that, unless some serious cheats prevention is done (hence a new Client that would detect it and stop it), cheating on the New Legacy Shard will be at a huge high right on day 1 of its coming to life....
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    My take from the broadcast was that this is going to be a smaller, more streamlined shard of Sosaria. One facet, 'the world'. One race: human. Simplified skill gain system. PvP via revamped VvV system. (These are all things the Devs have actually said already).

Now... if UO:NL is easy enough to level a character, and the gameplay/content is fun enough to play, I think people would pop over there to have some fun. Just for the sake of fun. Streamline PvP back to its roots, before all the complicated properties and gear, and people will join VvV for the consensual PvP. The non PvPers can enjoy their gameplay without feeling harassed. Co-existence IS possible. The folks that wanna rampage across the land killing everything that moves and stripping them down to their underwear and screaming obscenities ... Well, that is not fun for the majority, and the majority is what keeps the lights on. Come to Siege.

edited September 2020
    Tanager said:
    My take from the broadcast was that this is going to be a smaller, more streamlined shard of Sosaria. One facet, 'the world'. One race: human. Simplified skill gain system. PvP via revamped VvV system. (These are all things the Devs have actually said already).

Now... if UO:NL is easy enough to level a character, and the gameplay/content is fun enough to play, I think people would pop over there to have some fun. Just for the sake of fun. Streamline PvP back to its roots, before all the complicated properties and gear, and people will join VvV for the consensual PvP. The non PvPers can enjoy their gameplay without feeling harassed. Co-existence IS possible. The folks that wanna rampage across the land killing everything that moves and stripping them down to their underwear and screaming obscenities ... Well, that is not fun for the majority, and the majority is what keeps the lights on. Come to Siege.

Streamline PvP back to its roots, before all the complicated properties and gear, and people will join VvV for the consensual PvP.
    A PvP where items would not mean anything and only the actual player's skill would matter ?

That would be total cool !!

Yet, a couple of things should be also dealt with to truly make it a FAIR PvP gaming environment....

# 1) - "Forced Latency" to equalize different players with different connection and ping to the server;

This is necessary otherwise, those with a better connection to the server will always have the upper hand.

#2) - Make it NOT possible to use Cheats on the new Server or, be capable to detect their running right away and immediately disconnect the cheater from the Server to then take a more decisive action against them (ban ?).

This is also necessary otherwise, scripts which are much faster as humans' reactions will always make if for the win.
  • This might have already been asked. If so, sorry for the duplication.  Here are two related questions I have about the new shard:  How much will it cost to transfer each character off the shard and to a different shard before the shattering occurs?  If there is a cost, will it be affected by whether or not the character transfers with items or pets?
    Whatever the answer is regarding xfers at the end of the NL Season, I am 99.9% certain it won't include Siege. That's fine... I DO NOT want any incoming xfers of any kind. Or outgoing. Our lil biodome is small but works fine.

@popps ; Two clients is already double the work for a 6-person team. A 3rd client isn't going to happen. Please do not start an EC/CC debate. And cheaters are like roaches. You have to burn the house down to get rid of them. The best we can hope for is population control.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Mervyn said:

LMMFAO  You quote something about getting rid of SS and XFers and apply it to a new shard are you out of your mind.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Sorry, i missed the stream so i'm lost. If someone could answer a couple quick questions i'd appreciate it. 

Does the shattering really do a full server wipe? Or is it just an opportunity to transfer off?
    edited September 2020
    You can still watch the streamed video on youtube. They turned on the livestream about 13 minutes early (before the posted time) with some lovely UO music - accredited to some one called 'Atiro' (I don't know the spelling of the name, sorry). You can skip forward unless you want to read the live chat. The music is very nice, tho. I wish I could thank the artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7thyJjHhE6U

For your question, my understanding is that it's a full wipe much like TC1. You have the chance to xfer off beforehand, but I have not seen anything posted about whether a free xfer is offered or if one must buy a token. There are NO vet rewards, this is clearly announced, so NO shard shields to xfer a character with.

(edited to add a link to the video)
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,020
    edited September 2020
    Urge said:
    Sorry, i missed the stream so i'm lost. If someone could answer a couple quick questions i'd appreciate it. 

Does the shattering really do a full server wipe? Or is it just an opportunity to transfer off?
    From the FAQ:

Q: What is different about Ultima Online: New Legacy versus live Ultima Online?

...At the conclusion of each season of Ultima Online: New Legacy the world will end in a cataclysmic event and will be reborn with fresh adventures to be had and a new legacy to be forged!

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?

...At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots.

Notice the "to shards with available character slots"!

I would suspect this will work similar to Diablo III and your seasonal character will transfer automatically to production. Being UO with multiple "production" shards, you'll probably get to select the shard your seasonal character winds up on. I'm thinking an alphabetical list of shards will be presented to you in a gump that will look very familiar and you'll click the arrow corresponding to the shard you want your toon to end up on.

-Arroth
    Urge said:

From the FAQ:

Q: What is different about Ultima Online: New Legacy versus live Ultima Online?

...At the conclusion of each season of Ultima Online: New Legacy the world will end in a cataclysmic event and will be reborn with fresh adventures to be had and a new legacy to be forged!

Thanks @Tanager !!

Thanks! I did see this. It gives the impression of a total wipe but at the same time doesn't say 100% if it all gets reset.

I could really get into a shard like this with no wipe. 
    @Seth - I think there are a lot of details that need to be worked out but I don't know if they are really going to push the new graphics piece given that, as you said, there are so many other things that need to be cleaned up or fixed and we only have a 6 person team. I would hope they will pick functionality over vanity because I agree with you that if they don't fix the issues the vets simply put up with (due to such a long tenure), they will likely lose the new players who get frustrated with lack of progress.

@Urge - I see that the temporary thing is one of the most commented on things people touch on (most dislike it). I'm also struggling to see how a "classic" type shard with "classic" templates & gear will be usable on a live shard after the shattering so I'd like to see what the Devs say on that. The Devs made it seem like they are going forward with a "seasons" type shard that is wiped so not sure that's up for debate. If there wasn't a wipe, it just turns into another new shard where people will flock to get the good housing plots and server rares etc and in a year or 2 it will likely be worse off since you can only transfer out (and not into the shard) and most of the goodies will likely forever be removed from the shard.
  • @Kyronix is it possible to get a forum for New Legacy discussion so we don't spam the general discussions
    keven2002 said:

@ Urge - I see that the temporary thing is one of the most commented on things people touch on (most dislike it). I'm also struggling to see how a "classic" type shard with "classic" templates & gear will be usable on a live shard after the shattering so I'd like to see what the Devs say on that. The Devs made it seem like they are going forward with a "seasons" type shard that is wiped so not sure that's up for debate. If there wasn't a wipe, it just turns into another new shard where people will flock to get the good housing plots and server rares etc and in a year or 2 it will likely be worse off since you can only transfer out (and not into the shard) and most of the goodies will likely forever be removed from the shard.

If it's a training shard i think it will do great. Maybe the details will include easier ways for newer characters to get powerscrolls, pets and some of the harder to get arty items. 

I was hoping more for a full time shard without all the glitz of todays shards but done correctly this could be a good thing.