Underwhelming Announcement

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited September 2020
    I think I am starting to get the idea of this shard. It appears to be totally for new players to build their characters without having to also figure out how to buy the things they need since they don't have the deep pockets of a Veteran player. They will be able to focus on building their characters more and learning to play the "Beginners" game.  then after that first year they should have learned the basics, built a bank account and amassed some nice items .  then they "Shatter" the shard and they can "Graduate" to a prodo shard and learn the advanced game. Then they wipe the shard and let a new "class" of beginners do it all over. 
    That was my impression too.  Sort of a 'feeder' shard?  For some time the devs have been advised on these boards that UO is too hard for new players trying to begin. This is the answer, and I think a pretty good one.
    Pointless raging about pvp on the new shard, until it's clearer how it will work. We only know it won't be the uncontrolled 'daren't leave town' version from the early years, they said so. Pointless wondering about training characters, because they've said that won't be the way it is on current shards. We need to wait and find out.

Pointless raging about pvp on the new shard, until it's clearer how it will work.
    I said it right away that the Idea to make the New Legacy Shard a "feeder" Shard where new players can learn about UO before they move on to the current Shards when the Shattering occurs is a good idea.

But that said, it also depends on "how" this is done.

If it will be a mostly PvP Shard where "anything goes" and where cheats, scripts and hacks will be rampant then I do not think that it will be of much good....

Most people enjoy PvM more then PvP, and there is players who "could be" interested in PvP who stay well away from it because they do not want to use cheats, scripts nor hacks and thus do not want to have to compete with other players who instead would be using them.

So, I do not think it is pointless raging about PvP on the New Shard but, rather, a legittimate Concern of what will be the mechanics governing this New Shard and whether they will help out new PvPers AND PvMers alike.... or just be of interest to PvPers and which PvPers even then, those who make ample use of cheats, scripts and hacks or also those players interested in PvP but in "fair and balanced out" PvP without having to use cheats, hacks and scripts to be competitive ?

So, I guess, lot of questions and very little answers so far, to my understanding.....

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    edited September 2020
    I think I am starting to get the idea of this shard. It appears to be totally for new players to build their characters without having to also figure out how to buy the things they need since they don't have the deep pockets of a Veteran player. They will be able to focus on building their characters more and learning to play the "Beginners" game.  then after that first year they should have learned the basics, built a bank account and amassed some nice items .  then they "Shatter" the shard and they can "Graduate" to a prodo shard and learn the advanced game. Then they wipe the shard and let a new "class" of beginners do it all over. 
    That was my impression too.  Sort of a 'feeder' shard?  For some time the devs have been advised on these boards that UO is too hard for new players trying to begin. This is the answer, and I think a pretty good one.
    Pointless raging about pvp on the new shard, until it's clearer how it will work. We only know it won't be the uncontrolled 'daren't leave town' version from the early years, they said so. Pointless wondering about training characters, because they've said that won't be the way it is on current shards. We need to wait and find out.

That does kind of make sense but at that point isn't it a kind of slap in the face to the veterans that have been playing the game? I've kept up my subscription for this entire year without any new content to play until last week with the hopes the big announcement would be some kind of shakeup for my current shard.... it wasn't and if what you are saying is true then basically I have been paying my subscription all year for the Devs to tell me the big news is that they are looking to bring new players to a new shard to play old content.... ouch  :'(  
  • I'd be happy to play some kind of no-transfer low-fi shard with no later-expansion weirdness, but I have no interest in PVP or in a shard where I get deleted once a year.
  • MissE said:

A cow has 4 legs, just like a dog.
    They both have a nose, they breath out of.
    Both are animals.
    Both have a tail.

So as you can see, by the logic of someone who missed the point entirely herself, cows and dogs are probably the same.

I'm a 20+  year vet of this game. I've been a thief, a roleplayer, a pvp roleplayer, a pvper. I've played just about every production server there is. I've played Siege. We know you dont play Siege, because if you did maybe you'd realize how off you are. Siege is absolutely still about items. Do you really think people arent wearing high end gear on this server?

Less than 1% of this server actually does things like sheering sheep for bandaids. It's not 1999 anymore, Dorthy.

I always wonder why people try to comment outside the realm of what they know.

My group of former guildmates, had 21 people today in discord, 18 of them who havent logged on uo in years. Of the 21, 21 of them plan to atleast play part-time once the release.

Just because its not your cup of tea, doesnt mean you spit in it so nobody else can drink it.

Another who has missed the point. 

I didn't say ppl on siege don't wear high end gear, what I did say is that without insurance it isn't all about the gear.

You are commenting on siege when you are absolutely clueless. Siege is more about the gear then any live shard that is why no one plays it.

Like please educate yourself before commenting and using Siege to compare to New Legacy just shows your ignorance on the topic.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974

That is totally logical.  Players have asked for a place for new players to learn the game.

Trust me, Most of the posters in this thread will make a toon there cause they wont want to miss out on something.  I feel bad for my home shard because this new shard will take a lot of population away from prodo shards.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • If i do start a character there, it will be for the sole purpose to advise new players. I remember running around clueless and us veterans could be of great help, but i am trying to play less shards these days, not more, LOL
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• I just hope that they continue to work on the Production shards while they do this.  
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    ZekeTerra said:
    I just hope that they continue to work on the Production shards while they do this.  
    From the sound of it, the new shard is going to get most of the attention from the 6 person team with a handful of Champ Spawns/Treasure Of events being periodically dropped into production shards. 

If you like the Halloween event / Krampus / EM Events then I think you will be happy and the answer is "yes". If you like stuff like last year's high seas content (new pet added / TMaps overhauled) then I think the answer is "no" given that I think this would take more effort by the team than simply dropping it in with the new tool.
  • popps said:
    I would have added another Paragraph to that....
    Dude, you would write a effing book about it.

I pretty sure I have never said this to another UO player before, But here goes...
    You need to find another game. At this point everyone just skips over your crap. I have tried, others have tried, but you still don get it. Quit with the blah blah blah. 
  • Id bet my accoujnt that this new server will be more popular then every US server except maybe Atlantic, but will quickly overtake the population there as well. You who bash the idea of it, or speculate that it's for new players only, are missing the entire picture. Will it benefit newer players due to an easier curve of learning due to skill gain and less item dependency? Sure. That doesnt mean it will not be an amazing experience and fun time for even vet players. If it was intended to new players, they'd make it a gateway for new characters or accounts unable to be accessed by vet accounts, allowing transfer to a big boy realm afterwards. That's not whats happening here, It's sad that before details are even given, people are trying to beat it to death because it differs from their current game play. I for one, alongside many former vet players who have given up on this game, are excited. I'd be willing to bet, regardless of your pre-opinions now, I'll end up seeing most of you there too.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    ToiMasheen said:
     I'd be willing to bet, regardless of your pre-opinions now, I'll end up seeing most of you there too.
    With the time and work this new shard will be for the developers, I truly do hope it works out. But no, you will not be seeing me there.
  • Some of you have the right idea of what they were saying in that mess of a meeting. 
    I see a few drawbacks on their white board they cant see. 

First off is vet players who are smart enough to exploit this new system and shard.  
    Believe me that's the least of their worries right now as we don't have a fully laid out template of the shard much less the number of characters allowed or the starting degree of the initial system.

Second is the fact we have some weird thinking players who think nothing of screwing up a good thing to get their jollies. UO has had this type of player from day 1.  I for one do not expect this to change just because "Legacy" is new and hopes abound for it to work.   Get Real.

Third thing is: What is this gunna cost the rest of us?
    If you have not noticed in the last 6 months the Dev have been absent most of the time and when you do see them its only for the new stuff..
    Where does that leave the rest of us when VS is busted?
    Or the lower end of the barrel sticks its ugly head out and steals or kills us blind? 
    Do we punt because they are too busy to fix the basic things we need done?

Look I have been in UO from Beta.  That was way before the September release and Mesanna even considering playing UO. Not one month went by that you couldn't find me puttering or risking my characters skin in a dungeon.  I pay more then most for my love of the game. I have seen it all. 
    I am willing to wait and see.  
    But I do have my limits. 
    Marge said:
    ToiMasheen said:
     I'd be willing to bet, regardless of your pre-opinions now, I'll end up seeing most of you there too.
    With the time and work this new shard will be for the developers, I truly do hope it works out. But no, you will not be seeing me there.
    Form your decision when it gets closer. You can be on our team. We know how UO works, the first weeks will be a blast!  All the shard crashes and reverts like the old days. Groups of players will be working together to get the titles and rewards. Can hang out with players that like all parts of UO and work together to build a New Legacy!  Then pack it up and take your rewards back to your home shard.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited September 2020
    Seraphim said:
    So they just announced a huge FU into faces of all EU players..? Wow so let US enjoy the new huge update that everyone was pumped about!!

With ping 100+ we cant really enjoy the biggest announcment in 15 years... lol

I was so destroyed when i lost my house few months ago but now? Im ready to dig a grave for my credentials because this is huge for everyone outside of US.. 

(not talking about this dumb system where your not even being warned by email or so that your house will fll down in a game that is so hugely oriented around storage and nostalgia - sooo dmb because even fans are making tools like UOmobile but official team cant even make a warning about a house decay)
    So you play the 90 day sub game and you lose your house and blame UO for it and for your info there are a lot of non US players playing on Atl. Shard and maybe if this new shard works who to say they do not put another one in.
    I didn't exactly like the old days. If it wasn't for tram I would have left long ago. I was there for pre tram UO and never want to go back. I also have a group of players that I work with to get titles and rewards; don't need a new shard to do that.
    edited September 2020
    Marge said:
    I didn't exactly like the old days. If it wasn't for tram I would have left long ago. I was there for pre tram UO and never want to go back. I also have a group of players that I work with to get titles and rewards; don't need a new shard to do that.
    Then the group is a perfect fit for the new shard. Yall would have fun in the beginning and stay a while and decide to leave or stay some more. You wont regret not trying. Its the same as going to a shard to test new events. I talked to you in chat on Origin.  I bet you would like starting over and challenging yourself to build a better Marge. Your home is still there, you can go back any time.

As for player physical interaction, it looks like you can only be attacked by rival VvV.  Thats good, but we do not know what advantages the VvV rewards will give beyond what non PvP can get.
    edited September 2020
    " I bet you would like starting over and challenging yourself to build a better Marge."

LOL No way in hell! Once was enough.

Edit: I was there to learn the new event so I could better help my home shard through it once it went live there. I really don't want to max out that toon to fight the dragons.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    This new shard will be good for the game. 

It’s a good move, will bring in a lot more revenue for broadsword, maybe they could spend some of it on QA staff.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Marge said:
    I really don't want to max out that toon to fight the dragons. 
    Exactly. That's the difference. After a new experience, that toon comes home, and yours friends may tag along.  We have a year to decide. That's all I'm saying. 
    All my three accounts are full of toons already maxed out on my home shard. The new ones would have no where to go except to a shard they would only be dusted off once in a blue moon. I rather spend my year trying to finish my cameo set than slowly and painfully building a toon that will just be a holiday token getter after they get moved.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Use them on a secondary shard or put them on a second shard and take your soulstones over to stone their skills and return those skills to your home shard.  If training on this new shard then it may be good for older vets to train new toons.
  • They just put out a newsletter about New Legacy shard. PvP sounds like its pretty much consensual so you will have to opt in but there might be specific danger zones where you can be harassed.

Sounds like they even want you to play, Marge.
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    @popps
    I remember why the bounty system was removed (am not stupid - I had lived through it) and years ago I had made suggestions for bringing it back with ways to not game the system - but that isn't the point.

Anyhoo.... I'm a bit like Petra in all this, we won't know anything until it is in test or live - so I'm just gonna go sit over yon and drink my mead, much calmer over there. Just knowing Bonnie et al are doing something that will help intrigue new players and (possibly) bring back old ones is enough for me - for now.

Now, if only the marketing of said move would pick up....

They just put out a newsletter about New Legacy shard. PvP sounds like its pretty much consensual so you will have to opt in but there might be specific danger zones where you can be harassed.

So we can mine and lumberjack in the safe zone around Brit but if we take one step out of guard zone, we become pk bait? Sounds more and more like pre tram. Read the newsletter, still have no desire to play.

I have no desire for this to fail; just not one ounce of desire to play it.
    (Same thing happened with the tabards - I didn't like the look of them - didn't want them - so I didn't do any of that fellowship stuff. I also didn't want to be stuck with a title over my head. I did help others by giving them those fragments from the treasure maps I did but that's all.)
    edited September 2020
    Marge said:
    They just put out a newsletter about New Legacy shard. PvP sounds like its pretty much consensual so you will have to opt in but there might be specific danger zones where you can be harassed.

So we can mine and lumberjack in the safe zone around Brit but if we take one step out of guard zone, we become pk bait? Sounds more and more like pre tram. Read the newsletter, still have no desire to play.

I have no desire for this to fail; just not one ounce of desire to play it.
    (Same thing happened with the tabards - I didn't like the look of them - didn't want them - so I didn't do any of that fellowship stuff. I also didn't want to be stuck with a title over my head. I did help others by giving them those fragments from the treasure maps I did but that's all.)
    That's not what it says at all...  It is not tram in cities and fel out of city limits.

There are probably things like the Lich spawn where you have to enter the area or not.  We do not know what the rewards for that area is.

We will get to keep many items without loss.
    Q: Will there be item insurance? 

Our design goals include providing features in place to prevent loss of items, but also additional features to offer the thrill of risk vs. reward found in old school Ultima Online.  We look forward to this being the topic of a future “Feature Spotlight” where we can dive deeper into the details of how we plan to deliver on this goal.  One thing we can say for sure is that none of these features will look or feel like how item insurance works on UO: Live.

A lot of rewards will be account bound.

Q: Are items obtained from the Legacy System account bound?

Yes, anything obtained via the Legacy System is bound to your account.  We will be taking a deeper dive into the Legacy System in a future “Feature Spotlight”.

• MissEMissE Posts: 776

You are commenting on siege when you are absolutely clueless. Siege is more about the gear then any live shard that is why no one plays it.

Like please educate yourself before commenting and using Siege to compare to New Legacy just shows your ignorance on the topic.

God you people need to learn to take your own advice educate yourself  and learn to READ. 

Nowhere have I said that the gear isn't important, please show me where I have said that otherwise you are showing your own ignorance. I do wonder at the level of English comprehension some people have especially when they are gonna come on here and start attacking people for comments.  On the topic of siege My comments were:

"They don't currently play 'siege' as it is 'too hard' (which is baloney as you can work up a char on siege just as easily as on any shard) . There is zero hope that any kinda of open pvp type thing is gonna draw players back.  Kidding themselves. " 

'They' Which was referring the current player base and a hell of a lot that quit due to the pk nature of the old classic structure.  It has been proven that the current player base is mostly pvm not pvp so any shard created with open world type pvp that doesn't have safe zones or opt in will NOT attract that group of players back. Sure you may get some players (ie pvp'ers) but the BULK of players who hate pvp will not return if as they refuse to go to FEL due to pk'ers or they refuse to play on SIEGE as they don't wanna get pk'd and have no insurance. Are you saying that is incorrect?  Are you saying that those players who quit due to being pk'd or those players who refuse to go to FEL or play on siege will return?  Seriously? The comment was pointing out that the reasons people currently give to NOT playing siege still stand with this new shard.  Comprehend?

I then said after getting attacked:

We have a shard, Siege, that is open world pvp but with 'safe zones'  just as they described 'new legacy' to be. 

This is Correct.   You can be killed anywhere on Siege bar towns. 

We have a shard Siege, with no transfers on  just as they described 'new legacy' to be.
    This is Correct.  You cannot transfer on or off siege.

We have a shard Siege  with a different skill gaining system, just as they described 'new legacy' to be although there was no detail, in fact from my reading it will be 'easier' to skill ....

This is Correct.  Siege has ROT for skill gain which is different to prodo.  To skill a char on siege is actually easier in a lot of cases than it is on prodo once you learn the tricks.  And as the devs said and then clarified in the newsletter there will be some 'new' system for skill gain and by all accounts due to the nature of the limited time it most likely will be easier. 

We have a shard that doesn't have it's main focus on items as there is no insurance ie Siege.  The question of insurance was not seen or ignored in the live stream although it was asked a dozen times so I have no idea if insurance will be a thing on new legacy, if it is then we all know what the pvp crowd will say to that.  

This is Correct.  Siege doesn't have insurance.  Not every toon is dressed with high end rare artifact pieces in every armor slot.  Sure some characters who pvp continuously will get the best gear they can but there are just as many characters who use ONE siege blessed item and then use looted or crafted pieces.  The point was on prodo shards every single person tries to get the best uber gear for all their toons in every slot, insure it and never lose it so the total focus of their playstyle is getting the next best shiney bit to give them an edge as everyone else has the same things.  All the focus is on getting the best gear and paying MILLIONS for it as they are never gonna LOSE it. Are  you saying this is NOT correct?  Seriously?

I beg to differ. 

But yes please show me anywhere I have said that Siege isn't about the gear?  Come on, exactly where was that stated.

In fact you just cemented the argument I was actually trying to make, that people don't play on siege because they CAN'T have all their insured items.  

You state "You are commenting on siege when you are absolutely clueless. Siege is more about the gear then any live shard that is why no one plays it." 

So in effect what you are actually saying is  people can't have their uber insured suits and risk losing their gear so that is the reason they don't play  siege.  YOU are correct.  Hence the people on siege play there for the 'risk' not the fact they may lose their gear.  Which then makes my comments correct. You can strive for the best gear to pvp in and are OK with the risk of losing it or you can run around in crafted suits as you don't care about having uber pieces accept for the bit you bless.

COMPREHEND before you start attacking people.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • RhelRhel Posts: 1
    edited September 2020
    As someone who has played UO off and on since 1997, and also branched out into other games I can say this update looks very interesting and potentially a great thing for the game. I've played Path of Exile for a long time, mainly coming back for their "season" system which rotates about four times a year, and this new Legacy system really seems to be taking a page from that book. 

If done correctly, it has potential to pump life into the game. I'm not saying this will work here for UO but I do believe its a positive and interesting approach to gather new business. I can see how it won't, at the moment, appeal to those veterans with 20+ max skilled characters and hordes of loot, but if it expedites the skilling of characters and gathering of items and resources for new players it could be a huge boon on the game overall. 

Then again, how many veteran players of UO are stuck in their 800x600 resolution ways and refuse change? Personally, I think the look of UO is probably what holds most younger players from trying the game and staying with it. Which is sad, because I honestly feel the fundamentals of the game are solid and unique enough, that if the game was offered with a graphics overhaul it could potentially attract a lot of people.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2020
    @TastyTreats I think we get the point, whoever is right it does not matter. Its not as if the new Legacy shard is already implemented and we all know what its like. Lets discuss constructive issues rather than calling others names or branding them.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • I think I am starting to get the idea of this shard. It appears to be totally for new players to build their characters without having to also figure out how to buy the things they need since they don't have the deep pockets of a Veteran player. They will be able to focus on building their characters more and learning to play the "Beginners" game.  then after that first year they should have learned the basics, built a bank account and amassed some nice items .  then they "Shatter" the shard and they can "Graduate" to a prodo shard and learn the advanced game. Then they wipe the shard and let a new "class" of beginners do it all over. 

I think you are one of the few (if not the only one) that has actually seen exactly what the intention of this shard is. Even through my own negativity regarding this shard and quite honestly the Broadsword team in general, I actually can see your point. This might solve some of the new player experience that New Haven did not. But only if they handle the mechanics correctly.

When I started UO there was no help at all getting started. You learned the hard way by dying a lot, get scammed a lot, asking other players for help & hope they were not simply trying to rob you / murder you, etc. The game was also not so complicated and could be learned on the fly - even if it was the hard way. But now? I have been playing UO for 22 yrs & I understand it and remain pretty much "caught up" on changes, etc. So it is difficult for me to sympathize with the UO learning curve. But one of the reasons that I do not get motivated about getting back into other older MMO's that I have played (but I am way out of touch with expansions, mechanics changes, conflicting in game systems, etc) is how simply difficult it is to catch up. DDO is one of those games for me - at this point I am lost in that game. So even though I cannot "see" the new player learning curve in UO, I see it with other games I cannot motivate myself to get back into. So from that, I can begin to see that trying to be a new player in UO is a beast of an experience.
  • EA was told to remove the head hunting and body dismemberment from UO or have the game banned in the UK.  This went for Germany and Australia too.  Rather then risk it EA ordered it removed.  As for asking to reinstate it... no way will EA/UO risk the loss of the euro market.