New shard?? But what for old players ???

What we will wait in next months? As old player i dont need in new shard, i dont want play on this.

I want to see normal Vendor Search. Also unite some dead shards with another(for more online on optimal server). I want to see new addons, may be new race as Dwarfs. New artifacts. something new in craft. 

For BODs - optimise system with Bribe, why we can jump from vendors to vendors.
Make next 0/700 points on each craft skill. Every day - one account get 100 points for each skill.
1 point - 1 bribe at any vendors. You cannot collect more than 700 points, but u can bribe at any vendor for all your points.

New system for online market, which can make trade in online from game. And then even players on shard with not good online can be sale items players on another shards. Why not?
May be new cosmetic for chars/paperdoll and etc.

And please normal events without shard bound items(like Black Gate) - with artifacts/rewards and etc
Also where is our game in "Steam"?

I dont want to see spam in game chats, i mean chats from various shops. This trouble can be decide for 1-2 days.

When you will be work in right direction?

Sorry for my English, if something write not good//

Comments

• ZedZed Posts: 33
    Everything is correct!  I agree!  After yesterday's news, I'm thinking about leaving the game

This city needs a new hero !

Vendors with excellent armor and weapons are always waiting for you on Atlantic )

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Why leave the game when these changes have nothing to do with prodo shards.
  • Bilbo said:
    May be because this player waited normal announcement with good news.
    But this news not for old players. It looks like a spit in the soul.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited September 2020
    Bilbo said:
    Well, quite a few players are MUCH concerned that now the Developers' Focus could be set mainly on creating this New Shard being it the new thing and, being the Team of 6 Members, quite a few players NOT interested in the New Legacy Shard (from the informations so far shared about it) are worried that the Development for the currently existing Shards (see the lamented issues with the Vendor Search still not fixed as an example...) might suffer from it.

Can we blame these players NOT interested in the New Legacy Shard for their concerns about THEIR gameplay future in UO ?
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Well this is a first... I actually agree with @popps on this. It's a real concern from my end as it seems the team was super excited about their "new baby" which might leave the live shards feeling like the stepchildren (since this Dev team didn't create them)
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    keven2002 said:
    Well this is a first... I actually agree with @ popps on this. It's a real concern from my end as it seems the team was super excited about their "new baby" which might leave the live shards feeling like the stepchildren (since this Dev team didn't create them)
    I thought it was just me not being awake enough yet but I kinda agree with him too. Well hell, it is 2020 weirder things have happened. If this new shard gets a yearly wipe and they have to create stories and events just for this shard; that is alot of work going to one shard. I think alot of us would have rather the big announcement be " we are taking a year to fix all the major bugs and add in some quality of life improvements."
  • DinoDino Posts: 27
    Unfortunately, this big announcement does not bring anything for the players on the old servers. But nothing is better than almost everything we´ve got from Broadsword so far. So you can say it could have been worse. ;)
    Dino said:
    So you can say it could have been worse. ;)

After the live stream was over, I was kinda relieved for that very reason. It could have been worse - they could have been planning massive revamps.
  • I haven't been playing UO all year. I haven't been reading these boards all year. And I'm not going to dive real deep into the boards right now. I've got 8hit to do. Winter is coming. lol

But anyway I clicked the link on an email and watched the live feed YouTube video and my first reaction was excitement regarding the new shard.

I think it's a pretty brilliant way to create a space where we can have a highly populated and exciting place to play and still slip on our comfortable home shard slippers when we want to.

Play on a highly populated shard? Build new characters from scratch with everyone starting on a level playing field (cheaters aside)? Work and play hard to try to place a house to work out of and still have all my stuff safe on my home shard to go back to? I'm here for it. 
    edited September 2020
    LilyGrace said:
    I haven't been playing UO all year. I haven't been reading these boards all year. And I'm not going to dive real deep into the boards right now. I've got 8hit to do. Winter is coming. lol

But anyway I clicked the link on an email and watched the live feed YouTube video and my first reaction was excitement regarding the new shard.

I think it's a pretty brilliant way to create a space where we can have a highly populated and exciting place to play and still slip on our comfortable home shard slippers when we want to.

Play on a highly populated shard? Build new characters from scratch with everyone starting on a level playing field (cheaters aside)? Work and play hard to try to place a house to work out of and still have all my stuff safe on my home shard to go back to? I'm here for it. 
    Cheaters aside ?

I think we need to be realistic here....

Being a new Shard, where people need to build up their skills from zero, make gold to buy them the better Housing in the best location, as well as to get better items to have an edge in their PvP, "if" cheats, scripts and hacks will work because, apparently, the New Legacy Shard will still use the Classic and Enhanced clients, from day 1 that this new Shard comes to life I am expecting quite a good number of players to fire up their skills training scripts, farming scripts etc. etc. and run them 24/7 to so gain a hell of an edge on the New Shard..... of course, using dummy accounts, surely not their mains....

Personally, I think that such a scenario needs to be well thought over ahead of time so to be ready from day 1 to catch all these players and ban their accounts right away, and, possibly, also those other "main" accounts that they plan to benefit from their dummy accounts being used for the cheating...
  • You guys seem bitter and selfish.

Current players need to understand that there is literally nothing the development team can to repopulate your shards thinking otherwise is foolish. Go for it tell me an idea that they could have done that would attract new players to your current shard. That's right you can't because if there was they would have done it.

If the game does not change its trajectory I am guessing it would not survive another 5 years let alone another 23. The development team is finally taking a chance and trying to make the game more appealing to a wider audience and that is respectable it should have been done 10 years ago. Your just going to suck up the slower content updates for a bit because this game needs new players to keep it active whether they are New Legacy supporters or Live.

I imagine their hope is that people start up and get hooked on UO by playing New Legacy when the shattering happens and they pick a new shard to transfer then it will slowly increase your shards population over time which could work a bit. At least it's something.

And it was stated that features developed for New Legacy some of them will also be implemented on live shards.

So just cheer up not everything can please everyone and it is time you guys wait your turn like many before have been.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    I think this is the closest we are going to get to the pre-AoS shard that a lot of people want. If this experimental shard works out, maybe there can be other, more permanent, shards with a specific timeframe within the history of Sosaria. Or maybe this shard will have 'seasons' after each shattering that involve specific points in history. The more popular seasons can get their own shard. The more popular game mechanic changes can be made for live shards.

I am looking at this Legacy shard as a way to test ideas and items without jacking up the whole of Ultima Online. Several months of testing by an active population is better than anything TC1 can accomplish at this point.

I am NOT looking at this shard as a way to entice new players. Sorry, but a new or returning player is not going to invest months of effort into a game just to be forced to xfer off (even if the xfer is free, which is up for debate) onto a different shard with different rules, different economy, different gear, etc. Their 'Legacy' character would be crippled on a normal shard. Their ONLY advantage might be items they bring that are not available on live shards and therefor sellable so they can completely redo their Legacy character to be functional.

If the team wants to bring in new or returning players with nostalgia as the bait, then it needs to be a shard that does not get wiped.
  • DinoDino Posts: 27
    To think this new shard might attract any new player is foolish. A few veterans will be back. Most will only have EJ accounts and will disappear after a short time(my guess). I think Broadsword took some inspiration from Blizzard. The WoW classic servers were a grat success. But even there the enthusiasm subsided after a short time. In addition, Blizzard has not forgotten its retail servers and is bringing out the next addon on time. Here is it probably so that the regular customers simply have bad luck. Comparing Broadsword to Blizzard is certainly not fair. But even if this is only a small team here, the money we pay is the same.
  • [Also unite some dead shards with another(for more online on optimal server).]

People who actually play on shard you consider "dead" would disagree.  To players from Atlantic all other shards are "dead."
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Here is the rock and hard place the Devs put people in when creating a temporary "classic" shard:

I'm a veteran:

Let's say I'm looking for a change so I see this shard and I will try it out for nostalgia reasons. I start from day 1; assuming that we are really going back to classic (like Pre-AOS). I play with a level playing field and relive my old UO playing days. Could be good. Now a year (or however long) is up and now I take this character with Pre AOS skills and gear (GM armor) and xfer to a live shard. Automatically obsolete. Should have just played live shards for the year if the goal was long run game.

I'm a returning player: 

Let's say I've been thinking about re-subbing to UO and have been pulse checking every few months. I don't like all the new overpowered stuff in UO which is why I haven't come back yet but I like the idea of Legacy. I decide to play and re-live my nostalgia and create my legacy... yay! Now it's 1 year and my Legacy is basically wiped (although I do get to xfer my character) and I have to start again in the next season. Will I want want to do that again after I worked a full year towards my Legacy? Will I actually play the live shard at that point when I didn't bother playing it before? Again my items and character will be "classic" so will not stack up for the most part on live shards (aka obsolete).

I'm a new player just stumbling upon UO Legacy:

I'm not sure how they will market but if I'm brand new to UO and buy in to the "feeder shard" idea then I'm likely going to only do so if it's from the beginning so if I miss that window and I'd only have half the amount of time on the shard before it's wiped then why bother? If I do end up getting in from the start it's a great start to my UO career; I really like it! Then after a year, I get sent to a live shard where my classic template/gear is now obsolete. So I went from a Lord of the land with a great Legacy and 5million gold (that was unheard of back in the 90's) to essentially an apprentice in a world with my 5million versus others 5plat and a totally different ruleset that I may not want to sign up for (which is the exact reason they are creating a Legacy "classic" shard in the first place right??). Long story short, it's essentially the same outcome as with anyone else, I would have been better off playing a live shard from day 1 and built myself up over a year with all the live shard items. I've actually given new players a million gold just to get started on ATL.

I think the initial idea sounds enticing and could capture all 3 types of players but the end result is that everyone inevitably is going back to live shards with way more advanced everything (skills/gear/templates/housing/bank roll/etc). To me it's almost like they needed to come up with something fresh.... and they were out of fresh ideas so they are recycling "classic" content and inviting people to restart (or play a lesser content shard to build up your char for new players). That still doesn't address the issue of needing fresh content on a live shard. 

Dear developers, please listen to this post 

Vendors with excellent armor and weapons are always waiting for you on Atlantic )

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    The new EM tools and quest system lets the devs create new content for the production shards fairly quickly. This gives them time to work on both the production shards and the new legacy shard.
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Who says it is not for old players, you do understand you can log onto this shard just like anybody else and so for we really do not know what will be there because it is just a concept and nothing is set in stone.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    keven2002 said:

You will find:

Veteran players will say they hate this now. In a few months time they will explore what seasonal play is. They will realize, damn I know how UO works, I know how to cooperate, I should talk about this idea.  News will spread through the lands.  Then they will start exploring the idea of taking a group of players,they play with daily,to this new shard.  Even if they could just take one toon, they would see that they have mules donated from players who love to fish, craft,mine, chop, ect and likes to help other players. They also have a group of fighters that will explore and protect the team.  They will get together and open the new shard on the first day on the first minute.
    How effective the team is determines how long they stay.  If there are enough unique rewards (titles etc) and if they are shown in the hall of legends they will stay. Everyone wants to be a UO Legend. Then they will take those rewards back home and show them off to wait for the next season!

Why so scared, angry, confused, bitter now?

They have never played a game where the majority of players like to start fresh and see how fast you can build up. If they are vets they buy skill tokens to get 5 skills at 90 on a fresh toon. Been there done that is what they think. They know this may take away players from their home shard. They are afraid.

We have a year (or more) to decide what to do. If you have fun playing UO, you will keep playing.
    If you don't then find something that makes you happy.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited September 2020
    What do we know about this new shard?
    It is just one land which land and whit time in UO unknown
    There will be a different rule set so it just may be a consensual PvP/VvV I hope
    a different way to train skills
    It is seasonal and when the season you can transfer to a prodo shard, cost unknown if any.
    what we will be allowed to bring with us unknown
    Races unknown
    pets unknown
    skills unknown
    equipment/weapons unknown

Yes I can and have, with warnings called out other people and even the Devs but I am trying to keep an open mind until we get more information.  Sometime I get the idea that no matter what UO does is never good enough and never will be. 

As far as new content on the other shards they have a new way to do content/events that takes very little effort to do and they are using that same engine to make this new shard so we might even see more content now, hopefully so.
    "Everyone wants to be a UO Legend."

I have this little green bugger next to me screaming - "Ben dere dun dat - wun da crown - Wut's next?"
  • CronusCronus Posts: 10
    edited September 2020
    Bilbo said:
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Who says it is not for old players, you do understand you can log onto this shard just like anybody else and so for we really do not know what will be there because it is just a concept and nothing is set in stone.

I am crafter and PvE player and what i will do on new shard? Which will be in USA and my ping on this will be 250+++ Where are will be imbuing, BODs, runics, enhancing? And i dont want farm in PvE on new shard, because I don't see any interest in it
    I want progress, but not regress. Old days died and leave them alone or give old players worthy alternative!
    Don't be blind. In an attempt to bring back players who love the old time and new players, we can loose base, these are current players!
    And then all of us will end up with a broken trough..
    From the DEVs
    Now, for the first time in 15 years, we are welcoming new players and old to forge their Britannian Legacy in a brand new shard focused on returning Ultima Online to its fundamental roots as an RPG.

This shard is for EVERYBODY so stop your whining
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:

I am crafter and PvE player and what i will do on new shard? Which will be in USA and my ping on this will be 250+++ Where are will be imbuing, BODs, runics, enhancing? And i dont want farm in PvE on new shard, because I don't see any interest in it
    I want progress, but not regress. Old days died and leave them alone or give old players worthy alternative!
    Don't be blind. In an attempt to bring back players who love the old time and new players, we can loose base, these are current players!
    We have no clue what type of crafting system there will be.  This shard is not like the reg shards.

read https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/uo-nls-newsletter-1
    Bilbo said:
    From the DEVs
    Now, for the first time in 15 years, we are welcoming new players and old to forge their Britannian Legacy in a brand new shard focused on returning Ultima Online to its fundamental roots as an RPG.

This shard is for EVERYBODY so stop your whining
              Mr Bilbo,about whining- let's get back to this conversation,when New Legacy will be put into play, and then let's see who really will whines.

Bilbo said:
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Cronus said:
    Bilbo said:

We have no clue what type of crafting system there will be.  This shard is not like the reg shards.

read https://mailchi.mp/broadsword/uo-nls-newsletter-1
    If the mechanics regulating the New Legacy Shard will be different as compared to the regular Shards, how will it then be possible, I wonder, to transfer characters and their belonging when the Shuttering occurs, to the current, regular Shards ?

For example, I seem to recall that those who play Siege Perilous and Mugen CANNOT copy their characters on the Test Server because, I understand, they are handled on Siege differently as they are on production Shards....

So, if it will be the same for the New Legacy Shard, I do not see how it will then be possible to transfer (copy) those characters and their belonging to the regular Shards when the Shattering comes....
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    popps said:
    If the mechanics regulating the New Legacy Shard will be different as compared to the regular Shards, how will it then be possible, I wonder, to transfer characters and their belonging when the Shuttering occurs, to the current, regular Shards ?

For example, I seem to recall that those who play Siege Perilous and Mugen CANNOT copy their characters on the Test Server because, I understand, they are handled on Siege differently as they are on production Shards....

So, if it will be the same for the New Legacy Shard, I do not see how it will then be possible to transfer (copy) those characters and their belonging to the regular Shards when the Shattering comes....
    Why not let the Devs figure that out. You don't need to worry about it.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited September 2020

I watched the live feed, I got loads of people watching it lol.

I think I experienced the same feelings everyone else did - ups and downs, but overall It was pretty exciting and fun.

• Was exciting and fun, nice to actually see a live UO event with the Devs, in fact really nice.
    • Yeah they had tech issues, can't really blame them, all companies have these issues, if Skype, or Zoom, or whatever go down, everyone is screwed.
    • It's pretty amazing 6 people keep this game going.
    • They caught me out with the Legacy shard thing, I had mixed feelings, but after thinking about it, and seeing reactions, I can get it.
    • I've seen a lot of people who are excited about it, people who are not so active who would try it to come back.
    • I understand Vets thinking it doesn't offer them so much, and worrying it will subtract from development on production shards, but to be honest, theres a lot in this game, and I'm really enjoying it.
    • It would still be nice to see bugs being ironed out, a bit more consistency added, and some new useful practical items being introduced into Production shards.
    • I think most of their ideas and concepts for the Legacy shard looked ok, I understood what they were trying to achieve,
    • I get that they can try new, more simple systems on the new shard. Do things a bit differently, experiment, see if it works, then maybe bring into production.
    • The only factor I disagreed on was their attitude to PvP - especially Kyronix. I have a lot of respect for Kyronix and what he does, but he really seems to tow the line that the data suggests Felucca was a bad place driving players away, and Trammel saved the game, when this really was not the case. It's a strange scenario to be in, when you have to rely on Mesanna for PvP or Felucca improvements. As back-up for my stance, there was an absolutely never-ending stream of PvP related questions on the live stream chat, it was about all everyone was asking, and they were given very little response. That was a shame.
    • So ultimately, it looks like a new shard that role players will love, new players will love, it's roughly a year-long season, which really does tie into how a lot of games are playing currently, then it would feed into production, it's not a bad way to go.
    • It has generated a lot of interest, people are talking about it. But I do understand the Vets wanting to see more content than just Black Gate style events. Which by the way, I am actually doing for once.
    • I think there has to be some new content for Felucca soon, I think the pvpers in the pvp threads are correct on this.
    • It's great that they have some Thief content coming up soon, yes I'm looking forward to that.
         The main thing is that other shards develop too, and if we will have at least something listed in the first post, then I do not mind.

edited September 2020
    Cookie said:

I watched the live feed, I got loads of people watching it lol.

I think I experienced the same feelings everyone else did - ups and downs, but overall It was pretty exciting and fun.

• Was exciting and fun, nice to actually see a live UO event with the Devs, in fact really nice.
    • Yeah they had tech issues, can't really blame them, all companies have these issues, if Skype, or Zoom, or whatever go down, everyone is screwed.
    • It's pretty amazing 6 people keep this game going.
    • They caught me out with the Legacy shard thing, I had mixed feelings, but after thinking about it, and seeing reactions, I can get it.
    • I've seen a lot of people who are excited about it, people who are not so active who would try it to come back.
    • I understand Vets thinking it doesn't offer them so much, and worrying it will subtract from development on production shards, but to be honest, theres a lot in this game, and I'm really enjoying it.
    • It would still be nice to see bugs being ironed out, a bit more consistency added, and some new useful practical items being introduced into Production shards.
    • I think most of their ideas and concepts for the Legacy shard looked ok, I understood what they were trying to achieve,
    • I get that they can try new, more simple systems on the new shard. Do things a bit differently, experiment, see if it works, then maybe bring into production.
    • The only factor I disagreed on was their attitude to PvP - especially Kyronix. I have a lot of respect for Kyronix and what he does, but he really seems to tow the line that the data suggests Felucca was a bad place driving players away, and Trammel saved the game, when this really was not the case. It's a strange scenario to be in, when you have to rely on Mesanna for PvP or Felucca improvements. As back-up for my stance, there was an absolutely never-ending stream of PvP related questions on the live stream chat, it was about all everyone was asking, and they were given very little response. That was a shame.
    • So ultimately, it looks like a new shard that role players will love, new players will love, it's roughly a year-long season, which really does tie into how a lot of games are playing currently, then it would feed into production, it's not a bad way to go.
    • It has generated a lot of interest, people are talking about it. But I do understand the Vets wanting to see more content than just Black Gate style events. Which by the way, I am actually doing for once.
    • I think there has to be some new content for Felucca soon, I think the pvpers in the pvp threads are correct on this.
    • It's great that they have some Thief content coming up soon, yes I'm looking forward to that.

"...but he really seems to tow the line that the data suggests Felucca was a bad place driving players away, and Trammel saved the game, when this really was not the case.."

"....when this really was not the case.." ????

Really ? REALLY ??

I think instead @Kyronix is quite more better informed then any average player and thus can be right on spot about all past UO Development decisions taken and how they impacted the game, having access to all of the Past Ultima Online Development decisions..... 

And infact, check this out what Raph Koster says on the topic...

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaphKoster/20180627/320893/A_brief_history_of_murder_in_Ultima_Online.php

By 2000, I was off the project, working instead on a series of pitches for new MMOs that Origin might make. And while I was doing that, the team’s new design leadership arrived at a new solution that put paid to the early wild and crazy era of UO forever: the Trammel/Felucca split.

Simply put, the map was cloned. One side was termed Felucca, and had the same rules that already existed.

The other was called Trammel, and in Trammel, there simply wasn’t any ability to attack other players. It was a peaceful place.

To this day, this is controversial. I wouldn’t have done it, personally, but there is no question that the userbase doubled once this went in.

"....there is no question that the userbase doubled once this went in...."

Enough said.