Classic Client- When will you remove the 'Reduce Display Framerate' option?

I am constantly having to uncheck this box whenever I login to various characters. Does anybody really need this option anymore?

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    the problem is, it's an edit of the uo.cfg file, and each time you log a character in, that character overwrites the main file. To fix it, find the file Uo.cfg in the program files, open it in a text editor and set the option ReduceFramerate=off (C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss Classic). Then find the file uo.cfg in each character's folder in the user data folder and edit that too. ( C:\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data\accountname\shard\charactername )

• It still amazes me that you expect me to waste time edit the uo.cfg file on each character on each account that I use. Especially when its a lot easier to make it so it doesn't overwrite the cfg file in the program folder. It's total nonsense, the game has been out for so many years, and so many options are obsolete. Why have an individual uo.cfg for each character? Your response is useless.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited September 2020
    @bryweyh007 , are there any other settings that are not saving on logout? i have to say i am not experiencing any such issues. 

Another user had a similar problem with a setting not saving on logout, 
    this was resolved by clicking the green default settings button, saving and logging out. Then try adjusting the settings to your preferences and saving and logging out. Please let me know if this resolved the issue.  
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• bryweyh007bryweyh007 Posts: 42
    edited September 2020
    The one setting that doesn't ever save is the backpack type: Default, Polar Bear, etc  I have tried to make it save to default because I switched it to Polar Bear and it won't remember to keep the default backpack if I login and out of a character that has polar bear backpack.

The others settings save when I hit save, but the second i login to another character that was created to get anniversary rewards, my settings end up having the 'reduce framerate' box checked and several other options. The moderator suggests to personally edit each uo.cfg file in each character but I would have to do it for each character on that account because the uo.cfg file has the "AcctID=" attribute...
    so say if I just copied one uo.cfg for example acctID=Acct1 and replaced it for characters under Acct2, when I logout of the character it would default my username to Acct1 even though the character I logged out of was Acct2. 

When I have 6 characters on each sever on 138 accounts (most EJ accounts) , you can see why I think her advice is a waste of my time.

I am simply asking the developers to get rid of the stupid uo.cfg files for each and every character and simply just use the uo.cfg file in the main program folder and to get rid of 'Reduce Framerate' option as well as other obsolete options. Why does UO have to reference individual uo.cfg files for each character, most people only change 'Always Run' depending on if they are on a stealth character and that's it.
  • Another suggestion would be adding a "Make Default" to make my settings default for new characters instead of their Default settings. That could save a lot of time too.
  • bryweyh007bryweyh007 Posts: 42
    edited September 2020
    Sucks that I have to figure which characters uo.cfg I have to edit because I have always backed up my documents  UO folder and some accounts have 20+ character folders due to being deleted, transfered, or renamed characters. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if the character folders were automatically deleted if the character is deleted at the login screen but that might be too much for developers to deal with because it doesn't add content to the game. 

:D 
    Sounds like some general file housekeeping is in order, I’m not sure if you have macros for all 138 of these accounts setup. May be just worth deleting a whole bunch of char folders. You sound like you know what you’re doing.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• Mervyn said:
    Sounds like some general file housekeeping is in order, I’m not sure if you have macros for all 138 of these accounts setup. May be just worth deleting a whole bunch of char folders. You sound like you know what you’re doing.
    Yep, I actually bit the bullet and deleted all of the character i dont have macros to, edited the select characters that I do have macros for and edited the uo.cfg by simply copy and paste after the account name, character number, etc and things have worked like intended. It took me about 4 hours to delete the character folders in the accounts but I kept the account name folders just so I don't forget the EJ account names and such...backed up the files in a .rar file and I think I wont have any further issue. Finally got rid of the polar bear skin backpacks too. I meant to do a follow-up for those that were interest. When logging into characters that I had deleted the folders to, the settings imported everything accordingly. Thanks Mervyn and wish there was a like button on these forums :)
    For the average user with 2 accounts, this is not an issue.

One thing strange i noticed about editing the uo.cfg file is, if you log in with one char, then log out and in with a different char, some settings from the first char are still in play, however simply logging out and in again rectifies this.

Most users will have the same settings on every char anyway so again this is not normally an issue.