For The Love of God, Please Fix Vendor Search

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Is it a difference between CC and EC? I use CC - maybe that's why I'm not having as many problems?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    I use CC. When the shard is busy VS is tough to get a result.  Right now is when it starts working.

Also when you just choose things from the clickys, it works better.  If you use a phrase it is horrible on weekends.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I don’t know what the exact reason is for it behaving so inconsistently. I would be cool if the devs could give us some insight.  It almost seems like the search crashes and restarts / refreshes an index numerous times a day. The most aggravating thing about it is sitting there waiting for the search to complete only for it to tell you the search was too vague after a few minutes. You aren’t sure if that’s true or not so you search again and again... waiting... wasting time. The messages need to at least be more accurate. Even if it just said it timed out would be a start. 
  • That's because Broadsword went the cheap route when accepting bids for developing Vendor Search. When it comes to coding, oftentimes you get what you pay for...
  • it is really bad, past 3 days.
  • It has been for sure very rough the last few days. 
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • This needs to be the top post. It's getting worse and worse. 
  • Agreed, and its not just Atlantic!
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Have to agree.  Very slow very often on GL the last couple of days.
  • It's insanity this has been going on for over a year. I seriously don't understand how this can be a problem. We need SOMETHING on this topic instead of dead silence. If it's not fixable, at least tell us that, we'll chalk it up to It's Just a Feature and working as intended.
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
    I find myself just logging off when it doesn’t work sometimes :/
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Hit the Cancel button, it should then work okay on the next search.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Mervyn said:
    Hit the Cancel button, it should then work okay on the next search.
    lol no. 
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    they could at least say something...terrible game management and forum
  • Communication is not this teams strongpoint...
    I've ripped out a large portion of my hair due to vendor search working.  I still have some left but not sure how long it will last.  
  • MordredMordred Posts: 102
    Communication is Everything in business relations @Kyronix and @Bleak
    Customer Service communication is also a Huge thing on any company.
    Its been 30+ days since this topic were created, We Know that you saw, We know that you may been aware of this huge mess and yet no communication with us at all?
    I was trying to look on all other topics for your answer, I looked into bug reports and all other places for the answer, but the only thing that I get, every time I look is:

• MordredMordred Posts: 102
  • TheoTheo Posts: 167
    Few comments

Seems like all vendor items should be put in a RDBMS when put up for sale then there is no 'updating' its the only place this data lives real time. 

For searches - they have categories to select rings, braces, helmets etc - why not a search for PowerScrolls, Alacrity, Transcendance?  Thats 80% of the vendor searches.   I  mean seriously - if its a database you can look at the peoples queries and tune for performance.  That is what any decent DBA would do.    

Last - I don't know why you can't just allow people to buy things off vendor search instead of this nonsense of paying 1k for a scroll to the location and have to teleport back etc.  Its a bit silly.  Just charge a 1k fee on all purchases from VS if you like.  

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Theo said:

For searches - they have categories to select rings, braces, helmets etc - why not a search for PowerScrolls, Alacrity, Transcendance?      

I like this idea.
    they also need one for Clothing Bless Deed & Bless Deed.
    and Treasure Maps with sub category of Stash, supply, Cache, Hoard, Trove

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    category for recipes would be nice too
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited September 2020
    It seem it's the item name search box that is causing all the problems , exemple : 

if you put '120 bushido' in the search box, the ''120'' is probably way too vague and causing the max delay duration on that search, and it ends failing with the too vague message that we all know

or if you put 'trans bushido' to search for pinks exemple, the word ''trans'' might be too vague and will fail with same result

try instead just : bushido
    and in categories you check : non-brittle, non-antique ,non elves only, non gargoyles only and non cannot be repaired, then you have a much more specific request , and the search will pull out all the scrolls for bushido both powerscroll and trans scroll.

I'm not saying that it will work all the time and ideal scenario , it depends on other factors like the traffic at that time etc, but its a good way all around that will sometimes work , sometimes changing facet help, sometimes changing character , we are not too sure , the devs still have some work and need to fix the item name search box.

on a last note I'm also almost certain that if the search reach max duration in the code, it ends up failing with the vague message( I haven't timed up my searchs yet , but if someone could chrono it up and see if they are the same duration could be helpful) , could it be possible to increase that delay maybe ? for Atlantic mostly...
    It is not an intelligent search.  It just searches for letters.  Scroll bush leg should get the job done.  But scroll Bushino would fail because I placed an n were the d would be.
  • The easiest fix I can think of would be to allow quotes for exact searches like "legendary scroll of bushido" similar to a google search. 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2020
    For Power Scrolls I've been using the "Cursed" criteria under Miscellaneous, along with the Skills option for whatever skill I'm looking for, with 0 selected for the skill value.

It is far from ideal, but still allows me to search. At least for power scroll skills that appear on gear.

As long as you don't fill in any input fields of any kind, the results are mostly quick. The moment you fill in a field, the search slows way down, or mostly just times out on Atlantic. 
    -Arroth
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    @quickblade - I've gotten the "too vague" error when not using name search.  For example: Spell Damage Increase = 29 and Slayers = Orc Slayer.  Maybe if they had a "Spell Book" option in the equipment list I could make my search criteria less vague.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2020
    TimSt said:
    @ quickblade - I've gotten the "too vague" error when not using name search.  For example: Spell Damage Increase = 29 and Slayers = Orc Slayer.  Maybe if they had a "Spell Book" option in the equipment list I could make my search criteria less vague.

Using the properties without filling in any of the input fields can be useful for generating at least some results (most of the time). Some being better than none I guess. Even with these empty-input-field workarounds though, the searches frequently fail during a shards busy times. 

For example: searching for Slayer Spellbooks, I would try Orc Slayer (or whatever) and SDI, but not filling in the field for SDI, just adding SDI to the Criteria. The search will default to SDI 0, Orc Slayer. 

Not much of a solution, but a least a workaround for Slayer Spellbooks.
    -Arroth
  • And another day goes by with no communication from the "team".  SMH
    I search for slayer spellbooks all the time.  “Spellbook orc” is all you need.  Should not be that many for sale that you need to limit the search.  For filled spellbooks I use “spellbook 64”.  Only problem I have is with elemental super slayers.  “Spellbook elemental” brings up all of elemental spellbooks including the game regular ones for different kinds of elementals.  Don’t know how to limit that search.  But for the rest Spellbook followed by the name works great.  VS is not intelligent.  It only looks for the string you have entered.

• Begins to wonder if the "team" quit. Might be the big announcement? One would think somebody would acknowledge the subject. Cant fix it, have the balls to say so. Working on it, tell us! Silence shows poor leadership and ability to do your job.