Commission Vendors

Maybe the problem with the vendor search not working is due to the volume of items on the vendors now. Maybe not.

But here is a suggestion about Commission Vendors.

People currently place their items on the vendors at a certain price, after a week or so maybe the price of that item has gone down, and the pieces remain unsold. But people are too lazy/busy to constantly check the prices of the items on their vendors and adjust them. because there is no incentive or sense of urgency to. So you end up with tons and tons of higher priced items just sitting there unsold. Who is going to vendor search every single item in their stock to check the prices are current each week? especially with the way the search is working at the moment.

So how about, the price of the items on the vendor automatically reduces by a certain percentage over a certain period of time. 

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• FortisFortis Posts: 408
    vendor search need to be fix asap
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

Sometimes turnover of an item is just slow, but you feel like the price you have set is fair, and are happy for it to sit there at that exact price.

For example, I have a forged royal pardon up at 7.4m - 5.25% will be taken off that, which would leave me with 7m, which I think is completely a fair price, it's just a slower moving item. They traditionally go for 10m for example.

So in the above scenario, I would not want your suggestion to be the case.

I understand what you are saying, stuff is moving around all the time in price, and you do have to monitor and maintain prices, but that is all part and parcel of being a vendor.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    You have not noticed all the gold coins, single essence, etc for sale at 170M?

That is what should not be going on.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2020
    Cookie, if you’re fine with maintaining vendors, there’s nothing stopping you refreshing the price before whatever the price drop cycle would be. That is all part and parcel of being a vendor.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• How about no. 
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Plus one for NO
  • DinoDino Posts: 27
    edited August 2020
    The best thing with the comission Vendors is that you do not need to sell an item fast. So i don´t like your suggestion.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
     NO
    Dino said:
    The best thing with the commission Vendors is that you do not need to sell an item fast. So i don´t like your suggestion.
    Me to
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    It’s up to the player to set the price.  On my shard sales have really slowed the last few months but my prices are in line with other vendors on the shard.  Commission vendors sell mostly more expensive items
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    the real problem is the vendor search.... not commission vendoror regular one...the problem is the devs arent able to put a good working system
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Fortis said:
    the real problem is the vendor search.... not commission vendoror regular one...the problem is the devs arent able to put a good working system
    Insert the real problem is Atlantic VS i believe it is working fine on other shards...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    No.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    If vendor search worked and worked quickly, updating prices would be a little easier. 

Regardless I can’t imagine sitting there and updating the prices of hundreds of items per week. 
    @Mervyn this was heated topic on other forums. They wanted to stop the runes and junk set at 175M. I shoulda warned you about the wolves. 
     >:) 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Mervyn said:
    Maybe the problem with the vendor search not working is due to the volume of items on the vendors now. Maybe not.

But here is a suggestion about Commission Vendors.

People currently place their items on the vendors at a certain price, after a week or so maybe the price of that item has gone down, and the pieces remain unsold. But people are too lazy/busy to constantly check the prices of the items on their vendors and adjust them. because there is no incentive or sense of urgency to. So you end up with tons and tons of higher priced items just sitting there unsold. Who is going to vendor search every single item in their stock to check the prices are current each week? especially with the way the search is working at the moment.

So how about, the price of the items on the vendor automatically reduces by a certain percentage over a certain period of time. 

Not sure what you are trying to solve, does it make vendor search work immediately?

Does it make our commission vendor better, more enjoyable, or worse?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    you can define a price range for what you are willing to pay 
    edited September 2020
    I did not include a poll in my post to ask the players if they want a change. 

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

Mervyn, any vendor in real life, maintains an eye on their competition, and adjusts their prices accordingly, to their wishes, they maintain control.

They don't put in an algorithm that just reduces their prices over time, that would be open to so many flaws and abuse, the vendor loses control of their own merchandise. What percentage, over what period of time? If it's left for long enough, does it go down to zero? What's the point in that?

What you are suggesting is just illogical.

Nothing toxic about saying that, or the responses you have received here, just players being very logical.

edited September 2020
    comparing the current vendors to the way vendors work in real life doesn't really equate, because in real life there are costs involved, and no vendor would be able to hold out on a sale indefinitely. You're better off comparing the commission vendors to the non commission vendors.

I haven't specified any values so its not possible to say a system would be open to any sort of abuse. But i can tell you that if you repeatedly reduce a figure by 1% of its current value, it will never reach 0, even if performed an infinite number of times.

There are many positives for the seller though, you wouldn't have to maintain your prices, the markets would work for you. And would probably end up giving the seller a lot faster profits.

Not sure about anyone else, but I personally, am really really lazy.

• DinoDino Posts: 27
    I am not a big seller. Mostly i have bod rewards, stolen goods and other not high end stuff in my vendors. I sell them for a price that corresponds to my effort. Yes, ich have a view to the other prices, but i dont want to make a science out of it. Comission vendors are ok as they are now for me. If you believe it or not, there are players on other shards than Atlantic. And for me its no problem when an item remains in a vendor some time. On Drachenfels the Vendor Search works good.

edited September 2020
    Mervyn said:
    comparing the current vendors to the way vendors work in real life doesn't really equate, because in real life there are costs involved, and no vendor would be able to hold out on a sale indefinitely. You're better off comparing the commission vendors to the non commission vendors.

I haven't specified any values so its not possible to say a system would be open to any sort of abuse. But i can tell you that if you repeatedly reduce a figure by 1% of its current value, it will never reach 0, even if performed an infinite number of times.

There are many positives for the seller though, you wouldn't have to maintain your prices, the markets would work for you. And would probably end up giving the seller a lot faster profits.

Not sure about anyone else, but I personally, am really really lazy.

In real life you cannot cast Recall in a second and fly over to another place far away. This is a game, not real life, second life or your life.

Why do you need to compare commission vendor to non-commission vendors? So if you want to compare real life where there is cost. YES, the real cost is our monthly subscription fees which we are paying to keep the house and account to have commission vendor. If it is not making money, we lose. Is that not "real cost"?

If some find it "lazy" because "you" have a luxury of time. Maybe there is a need for a Siege 4x Strength server where players need to defeat shadowguard roof 4 times to get a drop. That is hardworking and very good indeed? Oh not hard enough, how about 240 tamer skills to be able to tame a greater dragon?

Make games better @Mervyn, not another day job. We are paying subscription for fun not to work in 2nd virtual life.

Back to the original post,

- Disagree

And no idea what problem u are trying to solve here. But quite sure it will make existing worse.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Cookie said:

Mervyn, any vendor in real life, maintains an eye on their competition, and adjusts their prices accordingly, to their wishes, they maintain control.

They don't put in an algorithm that just reduces their prices over time, that would be open to so many flaws and abuse, the vendor loses control of their own merchandise. What percentage, over what period of time? If it's left for long enough, does it go down to zero? What's the point in that?

What you are suggesting is just illogical.

Nothing toxic about saying that, or the responses you have received here, just players being very logical.

any vendor in real life, maintains an eye on their competition, and adjusts their prices accordingly, to their wishes, they maintain control.
    Then, adjustment after adjustment, prices should then reach zero, eventually....

Or, a value so low that why would one ever bother to sell that stuff for such a low margin of a profit?

While this might be a good thing for who buys, I wonder how much would it be a good thing for whomever is selling.... they'd have stuff hardly worth the hassle to even want to bother selling it....

edited September 2020
    Markets don't work like that,

If someone sees an item for cheap, they will buy it, if they leave it on the vendor to go cheaper..someone else will buy it..

Try it for yourself by manually dropping the price of items each week, the item will sell, not just keep dropping in price.

and Seth, i already wrote what issue I am trying to solve in my original post. I'm not sure how much more detail I can give.

I have a strong suspicion, the same people who were begging for a commision vendor, are the same people complaining that the vendor search now doesn't work...go figure.

Placing some controls on the unmaintained vendors keeps a higher quality of shopper experience for the buyers.

and MAY assist with the price inflation people have been complaining about.

edited September 2020
    So in simple English, you mean commission vendor results in bloated number of items on vendor?

And the proposal and logic is to use the system to force mandatory price reduction, so that they can sell off faster. Hence this will result in a smaller database of items, which may mean better vendor search.

Its like asking Google to stop indexing websites so that their search can be faster. It defeats the purpose.

Or like a car engine that is worn out. Instead of sending the engine for repair, make the driver drive less. 

They need to solve the root cause, not change the end users' function.
    @Mervyn
    But you answered yourself when you wrote "Maybe Not". 

You have doubt too. lol  :D
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 291
    edited September 2020
    What is crazy is I don't know a single MMO that would let such a big feature ( vendor search ) not working for so long, only in UO.... I know their team is small but that's not an excuse, code the vendor search better !
  • This suggestion feels much like a solution looking for a possible problem.

The commission vendors were specifically designed for high end items and/or items that do not sell quickly. They work as intended. Leave them be.
    edited September 2020
    Seth said:

Make games better @ Mervyn, not another day job. We are paying subscription for fun not to work in 2nd virtual life. 

Sooo by automating the vendor prices so you don’t have to adjust yours weekly for each item, this is somehow creating MORE work for people how???

I think maybe you posted in the wrong thread or something.

Mervyn said:
    Seth said:

Make games better @ Mervyn, not another day job. We are paying subscription for fun not to work in 2nd virtual life. 

Sooo by automating the vendor prices so you don’t have to adjust yours weekly for each item, this is somehow creating MORE work for people how???

I think maybe you posted in the wrong thread or something.

Do you have proof that these players are changing prices now?  That same gold coin has been 170M for many months.  Grasp at more straws.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Vendor search had issues well before commission vendors went in.

On non-Atlantic shards we appreciate being able to let an item sit for an extended period of time at a certain price for when a buyer does make the journey over to get it.