A treasure map and luck question

@Kyronix Does luck influence the chance of getting non-weapon / non-armor items such as deco, skeleton keys, scrolls, and other maps when digging up a treasure map? Or is luck only factored in when it comes to the weapons and armor?

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I use the map makers glasses +4.  I do not think they make much of a difference.  Maybe once in awhile.  Does anyone know how much of a difference they make?  Sometimes I get better results when I forget to wear them.  Thanks.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I believe the Carto glasses improve chances at a gold chest (improved loot from metal and rusted) but does not impact loot inside the chest. I've had a hard time getting consistent results with the glasses though as I've dug up gold chests without glasses too. I've also had loot in the metal chest be better than gold chest loot too sometimes. It's very hard to form a baseline for testing as there seems too be a lot of RNG involved here.

Also from my experience, the chance of getting deco scrolls vs weapons/armor is not impacted by in game luck... the break down of certain types of deco / skills depends on the profession of the chest and the # of scrolls/maps seems to depend on the level (higher level generally gives more) but there are certain things that can only be obtained from lower level chests (like skeleton keys). The chest profession also determines what type of weapons are in a chest; ie gnarled staff will be found in mage's chest while plate armor etc would be in a warrior chest.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    Luck impacts the randomly generated equipment properties that spawn within the chest.

The distribution (minor, major, artifact etc) of those items as dictated by the budgets used are dictated by the quality (rusty, metal, gold) of the chest.

The non-random-magic-equipment loot is governed by the level of the map and the package of the map.  At that point it becomes random which items from the loot table are selected.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited August 2020
    @Kyronix I still think that Fel LvL 5 maps should have a CHANCE at dropping 115 power scrolls.I feel that would make them worth the bother, and offset the overall loot "nerf".  As they are now, they really aren't worth doing. I did 3 last week, just for something to do in UO (which is becoming much less frequent). I looted the pinks and power scrolls, because I was there, and then promptly put my T-Hunter back into hibernation for another year or so. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    fel chest are perfect for building pets plenty of 110 ps make up bags of them and sell 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Kyronix said:
    Luck impacts the randomly generated equipment properties that spawn within the chest.

The distribution (minor, major, artifact etc) of those items as dictated by the budgets used are dictated by the quality (rusty, metal, gold) of the chest.

The non-random-magic-equipment loot is governed by the level of the map and the package of the map.  At that point it becomes random which items from the loot table are selected.
    You are correct for sure about RANDOM, and I mean random to the downside. I have been doing the new Tmaps lately, & have been very disappointed in all aspects of the loot. Not nearly enough arties / marties / scrolls or anything worth having other than gold. I am using over 3k luck suit to dig up the chest with 100 cart skill (no glasses yet). Tmapping used to be a consistent source of decent items. Not anymore. I doubt I will bother with them much longer.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Kyronix said:

You are correct for sure about RANDOM, and I mean random to the downside. I have been doing the new Tmaps lately, & have been very disappointed in all aspects of the loot. Not nearly enough arties / marties / scrolls or anything worth having other than gold. I am using over 3k luck suit to dig up the chest with 100 cart skill (no glasses yet). Tmapping used to be a consistent source of decent items. Not anymore. I doubt I will bother with them much longer.
    I think this may be a perspective issue, not just people who dig up treasure chests, but a generic issue when people complain the loot isn’t as good as it used to be. The problem is, when all of your items are high end legendary, you now see other fairly good pieces as not so good. And the more you play, the higher your own standards become. 

I just resuited a char on Atlantic, all amazing legendary pieces, all for around 10 mill each only. There’s so much decent stuff out there that the prices are low. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Mervyn said:
    Kyronix said:

I think this may be a perspective issue, not just people who dig up treasure chests, but a generic issue when people complain the loot isn’t as good as it used to be. The problem is, when all of your items are high end legendary, you now see other fairly good pieces as not so good. And the more you play, the higher your own standards become. 

I just resuited a char on Atlantic, all amazing legendary pieces, all for around 10 mill each only. There’s so much decent stuff out there that the prices are low. 
    And this is one more GOOD reason why Ultima Online changes should focus on SKILLS, no longer on items....

Otherwise, what do we do ?

Makes items increasingly more powerfull and then Monsters increasingly more powerfull as a consequence of that but then also pets must be made more powerfull and then items will no longer look as powerfull anymore and players will want again more powerfull items and on and on and on.

I say give power back to skills, rather then items.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    The comments about today’s chests containing fewer special items like forged pardons, surge shields and the like are correct.  When no one knew what the mysterious fragments were for when they first started to appear a few years ago I would get one fragment per chest and one or two special items based on profession associated with the chest.  Then about a year ago when their use in the shrine battles was revealed the number of fragments per chest increased to eight with the fragments replacing a special item.  I quickly realized that I was getting fewer special items but did not complain because for a couple of weeks the fragments sold out quickly at really high prices.  After a few weeks of really good sales, the selling price of the fragments dropped like a rock and in today’s market I am not sure my vendor could even give them away.  Yet sets of 8 fragments continue to replace items players might actually want in the majority of the chests I dig up.
     I think it’s time to go back to the one fragment per chest standard so that the chests go back to containing one or two special items players might actually want.  Management may have recently done this for supply chests as the loot in those may have improved recently.
    If the fragments are in demand anywhere or good for anything other than the shrine battles that would be nice to know.  I used to turn them in for clean up points but at point I just leave the in the chest.  There no longer appears to be any market or interest in them that I can find.

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    Kyronix said:
    Luck impacts the randomly generated equipment properties that spawn within the chest....
    Does this include the +Cartography skill found on Legendary Mapmaker's Glasses?
    -Arroth
  • Estel_RandirEstel_Randir Posts: 189
    edited August 2020
    Mervyn said:

You have no idea what "perspective" I am coming from. You cannot read nor did I ask you to attempt to read my mind. In the old system I did a considerable amount of treasure hunting. My opinion is based on direct comparison of past experience with the old system & what I have now seen with the new. High intensity items were not one of my driving goals in treasure hunting old or new. If I get them, great. If not, there were always plenty of other things in the chests to keep the hamster on the wheel.

In the old system, even the mid level chests gave pretty consistent items. But the new low to mid level chests do not contain nearly enough consistent incentive other than gold to keep my interest. Also under the old system, I always got enough maps from the chests to keep going. The new system is so far very stingy with maps in the chests.
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    ^^^  This.  

Treasure hunting used to be fun. Way overthought in the changes. Lets hope the thief "upgrades" are better...
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    jelinidas said:
    ^^^  This.  

Treasure hunting used to be fun. Way overthought in the changes. Lets hope the thief "upgrades" are better...
    This pretty much sums up T-Hunting! Don't hold your breath on ANY changes being "better".
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Lets stay on topic please.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    collect and sell both pinks and blues of most types have good return throw together Pet PS boxes they will sell well there is good money to be made here
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way...