New Tamer Pet question.

Hello! I am fairly new over all to the game. I tried it a year or two ago but for only a week. I did enjoy the game but I had to many things on the go. Any ways I barely know what I am doing but I have done a fair bit of research but most seem for vet players and not so much for new.

My main question is Taming. I have animal taming at 90 +15 and Lore 70 +15 and mag 90. What are good starter pets to start the ball rolling for farming, exploring, mainly PVM.
Also I don't really have much for $ so I won't be buying a pet.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    to control a pet you want 108 in both taming and lore get a Cu ....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    To start hunting while you continue to train you could consider a bake kitsune or one of the different kinds of drakes. Crimson and Platinum drakes, in the various elemental damage types, are not only an effective 2 slot pet, but as you train higher and look for bigger targets to fight, the drake can also be trained, until at 5 slots it is quite a formidable hunting companion.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 167
    You need to read up on training pets and how to use the crazed mage. There is a single spawn of one in shame  near the unbound vortexes.  They can kill you pretty quick.  You need to get your pet on it and turn on skill gain. They will gain insanely fast.  Depending on the level of your pet you could gain all 100 points on it or 50 or only 25.  Once you max your skill gain on that pet - it will have to be killed and they are hard to solo kill. Sometimes just come back the next day.  For low level pets - if you cast para fields on it - it spends all the time trying to dispel the para fields it won't attack your pet.  You can literally gain 25 pet points in like 10 minutes.  Once your pet levels up once - max out his resists and str and then add some HP.  From there for the next levels they will be super easy cause he takes very little damage.    I can solo ancient wyrms with a blue beetle trained to level 4.  Almost ANY pet can be a useful hunter when trained.  Crazed mages is the way to do it.    What shard are you on? Maybe someone can help you get one pet trained up to use.  As for taming skill - its terrible. Worst skill in game to gain.  You should work to get your natural taming skill to 90. From there - you use the taming mastery to gain the rest of the way to 120.  You don't need to tame animals anymore.  Read the posts on that method.  It will help to get a high mana regen suit for this.   Good luck!

• TimTim Posts: 790
    If you are just trying to raise a pet to the next level I would suggest dread pirates. They do almost no damage to you or your pet and only one could take you from 0 to 100%. ( A bug that should be fixed)
    Just find someone going pirate hunting and get them to drop you off on a disabled ship for a while as they go off to hunt another.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    What server are you on?

Someone might be able to hoom you up with a pet to get goin.
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    Tim said:
    If you are just trying to raise a pet to the next level I would suggest dread pirates. They do almost no damage to you or your pet and only one could take you from 0 to 100%. ( A bug that should be fixed)
    Just find someone going pirate hunting and get them to drop you off on a disabled ship for a while as they go off to hunt another.

From my experience the only 100% gain is from the first level, but 2-3  level can be 50% or in some very rare cases 100%.  3 to 4 level takes 2 pirates.  4 to 5 level takes 4 pirates.  Since I play alone most of the time I can't (or choose not to) use the other stuff that is way more dangerous.  It takes a bit longer because you have to scuttle the pirate ship but to me that's fun too and it costs nothing but time, the ammo you get in the hold more than makes up for what you use (if you use a pirate ship that is).  Also looting the chests gives a ton of supplies of various items.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    1 and 2 slot pets gain 100% per mob.
    3 slot 50%
    4 slot 25%

Never has deviated from this.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Thank you all for the response, it was a great help!
    I am on Atlantic and I did manage to tame a bake kitsune...took awhile but I finally got one lol
    I will try out what you all mentioned once I get a better hang of thing as I learn to play.