120 Discordance - Your skill is not up to the task

I enjoy the Balron room near Spirituality Shrine in Ish and on a 120 Disco, 120 Music character with a non-exceptional instrument I receive the 'Your Skill is not up to the task' on a Paragon Balron.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Seems at 120 I should have a chance, albeit very small to disco a 160 difficulty creature, Stratics seems to confirm this...

My 120 in Disco/Music are real, no jewels used.

Thanks,
-H

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Did you use a Demon slayer Instrument like Lolos? I pulled one with my tamer, and brought my 4 x 120 bard in, the bard failed twice then was eaten.  I did not get the not up to task message.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • UPDATE:  So looks like it was the instrument itself [Tamborine bought in Skara]  I grabbed my kiddo's account who has a disco tamer as well and bought some drums, both worked.  So something weird with the npc bought tamborine.... maybe because I was using it while training?  I'm not sure.

Weird, but resolved.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    npc, +0% success
    exceptional +10%
    slayer  +20%
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    With out a doubt Bards need love with the mega monsters we face these days i fail way more than i should at 4X 120....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    I'll absolutely second that. It's a huge point investment that really does not measure up as a solo class. At the very least if there were a way to share the songs with everyone on screen and not be in a party/have to deal with party reduction in loot they'd be more welcome at fights.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    After all of these years, we still can't equip a musical instrument...such a shame.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I think the masteries are solid as are. every group wants a bard running the provo or peace mastery !! and you drop group at end of boss fights . even just discoing and healing when running a mastery you are gonna get looting rights and drops. yes i want to equip my Lute the one i crafted and imbued.. or maybe they can whip up a potion they can sell that lets us add stats..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    After all of these years, we still can't equip a musical instrument...such a shame.
    Good idea for warrior bard, using the lute as a bashing weapon, flute for fencing and drum... for throwing..  :D
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    A question about the usage of "Slayer" instruments....

Say that one has multiple instruments in one's own backpack, some non-slayer, others of various slayers types, does the game sees it automatically which slayer to use for the bonus or does the Bard need to do something in order to have that particular Slayer instrument to be the one actually used for that Provoke, Peace or whatever using the Slayer bonus ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,945Moderator
    the game uses the last instrument played, so yes, to use it you must select it.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,083
    Just as a side note for those who might not know (maybe I was just slow on the pick up and everyone knows) but to change your instrument you are playing in your pack you just double click the instrument you want to play. For years I thought I had to remove the instrument I was playing from my pack and use the music skill and have it target the instrument lol
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    edited August 2020
    keven2002 said:
    Just as a side note for those who might not know (maybe I was just slow on the pick up and everyone knows) but to change your instrument you are playing in your pack you just double click the instrument you want to play. For years I thought I had to remove the instrument I was playing from my pack and use the music skill and have it target the instrument lol
    Indeed, I think it as not much intuitive how to change one's own instrument since it is not possible to hold it in hand and, double clicking it not necessarily makes one sure that it now is the "default" instrument since the game does not give out any message in that sense...

I would see as beneficial if, for example, the game was to "highlight" the instrument that was seen as the default one so that a Bard would know for sure whether they are or not using, for example, the proper Slayer instrument for that Creature...
  • Reminder that you receive a 10% bonus on skill use for your selected bard mastery.