Requests on powerscrolls

ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
edited August 2020 in General Discussions
  1. Have one day a week - saturday - where powerscrolls also drop on Tram champ spawns.  They can be shard bound.
  2. Change pets so they don't, for the most part, all require wrestling scrolls.  Different pets should require things like mace fighitng, swords, etc, instead of wrestling.  After all, you can add mastery abilities that are tied to these other non-wrestling skills already (slashing?).
  1. Yes or No24 votes
    1. Yes to both
      29.17%
    2. No to 1
        8.33%
    3. No to 2
      16.67%
    4. No to both
      45.83%

Comments

• psychopsycho Posts: 284
    edited August 2020
    I dont think the game engine opens for the ability to have "powerscroll events in trammel" once pr week, it will have to run every day for a set amount of time if so.
    Besides its a bad idea cause it takes away the reason for many to go felucca, afterall, desirable powerscrolls is what makes action and pvp in felucca happening in the first place.

Also shard bond powerscrolls create all sorts of problems, cant be scrollbined, cant be add in a powerscroll book, blocks char xfers, have less value than a normal scrolls. Its too late to add that property now, shoulda been done 14 yrs ago though.

The second suggestion is good I think, I support this. If not all pets, atleast some should have the knowledge (intelligence) to use a mace, sword or fencing weapon.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited August 2020
    Pets do not carry sword, mace etc, so normal character skills would not work.

Pets also do not wrestle like "humans":
    the sport or activity of grappling with an opponent and trying to throw or hold them down on the ground, typically according to a code of rules.

The pets that we know would claw/slash, bite, bash. Maybe the scorpion pierce (fencing) with its tail. Some of these could already be under special attacks.

So I would have voted "No to 2" but I accepted "2" assuming that it may mean a different power scroll for pets. Due to the backlog for bugs and other plans, I doubt the Dev has time to develop and expand pet's fighting skill.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    A tsuki wolf or dragon wolf with a weapon could be fun - at least they stand upright. Don't think it would work well for a naja. Although at this late hour, I'm picturing the snake slithering toward the target with a blade in its mouth. :D
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    psycho said:
    I dont think the game engine opens for the ability to have "powerscroll events in trammel" once pr week, it will have to run every day for a set amount of time if so.
    Besides its a bad idea cause it takes away the reason for many to go felucca, afterall, desirable powerscrolls is what makes action and pvp in felucca happening in the first place.

Also shard bond powerscrolls create all sorts of problems, cant be scrollbined, cant be add in a powerscroll book, blocks char xfers, have less value than a normal scrolls. Its too late to add that property now, shoulda been done 14 yrs ago though.

The second suggestion is good I think, I support this. If not all pets, atleast some should have the knowledge (intelligence) to use a mace, sword or fencing weapon.
    Actually, unless I understood it all wrong, my understanding is that, with the "New" set of Tools that the Developers created, the new ones now under testing, that could be done, if they wanted to....

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 866
    How about no.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    How would we be able to kill all the blues in trammel and take the scrolls? You can’t attack blues in trammel or loot. I don’t think you’ve thought this through.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

edited August 2020
    psycho said:

Also shard bond powerscrolls create all sorts of problems, cant be scrollbined, 
    This statement is incorrect, (at least it was when I tested it shortly after publish of the first shard bound scrolls, will make a wild assumption that they haven’t fixed it to this day, must be still working on 2017 bugs)

posted in bugs section:

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    Hard pass on #1. I'd be fine with the idea of other fighting abilities being used on pets.

It's funny people will use the "it doesn't make sense" about animals using something like macing when we are talking about a world with dragons/lichs/clockwork exodus (super realistic right?)... oh and the same animals it wouldn't make sense to put macing on is the same one with magery/mystic (they don't wear LRC suits or carry reagents but can cast??). If they don't make animals use "fighting ability" as a skill and limit it to strictly wrestling, I think they should probably up the spawn rate of wrestling scrolls to counter balance their usage which is probably just as unpopular.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    Mervyn: "How would we be able to kill all the blues in trammel and take the scrolls? You can’t attack blues in trammel or loot."

Indeed true, and by (new) design.  Time to change things up a bit.

Marge: " I'm picturing the snake slithering toward the target with a blade in its mouth"

Doesn't need to actually hold a weapon, but at the least, different pets should use say swordsmanship instead of wrestling (as a simple approach, all the pets related to "slashing" could be changed to swords).  If it was opened up to pets being able to wield weapons, that would be interesting too, though pets would be even more OP (slayer weapons?)

Psycho: "I dont think the game engine opens for the ability to have "powerscroll events in trammel" once pr week, it will have to run every day for a set amount of time if so....  cant be scrollbined ... Its too late to add that property now, shoulda been done 14 yrs ago though."

It's just code (and maybe just config/data?).  I could see this being a state change toggle that happens at server up on e.g. Saturday, would turn off at server up e.g. Sunday.  We know various things get reset at server up each day.

Scrollbinding limitation sounds like it may be ok (reduces value relative to fel scrolls).  Alternately, you could have scrollbinders and books take all shard bound, or not shard-bound.

Just because something was done 14 years ago a certain way doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed/revisited.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    So you want all the melee powerscrolls to cost 10s of Millions.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    And to be abke to farm them, till their hearts content. Just wait till he sees how expensive they get when rmt perma farm spawns and oush out players.

Pvp IS good for the economy.
    edited August 2020
    Norry said:
    And to be abke to farm them, till their hearts content. Just wait till he sees how expensive they get when rmt perma farm spawns and oush out players.

Pvp IS good for the economy.
    Let's try it and see what happens.  In general economic theory, the increased supply would likely lead to reduced cost of the items in question.  As it stands now, there are about 10 completely dead tram champ spawns on many shards.

If you look at what happened with the cost of slayer spellbooks (with SDI), the prices dropped dramatically post invasion.  Books that were 75M before the invasion started again are now 5-10M.

I've read many threads on this and other forums repeating the same general complaint about the current very aged system around these scrolls.  Time to actually do something about it.

Maybe a dev can weigh in on these ideas?  @Bleak
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    I agree, melee scroll prices will raise ten fold and then I can already hear the crying. Leave em alone. Fel aint that scary, farm away. Death is short lived in UO. If ya get raided, try again later.
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    They should of just introduced 'pet only' scrolls that dropped in both fel and tram spawns and left the character powerscrolls as they were.

Pet scrolls: only skills that can be applied to pets.

AT SPAWNS
    • FELUCCATRANSFERABLE - 12 yellow pet ps's (with a protector,  6 without protector).
    • TRAMMELSHARD BOUND - 6  green pet  ps's.

Would of opened up a huge amount of gameplay for all players as the 3 spawns in ilsh, the tokuno spawn, the labyrinth and bedlam spawns would of been made relevant and worth doing.

OTHER

Could also of added as part of the special loot:
    • 'yellow' pet ps to fel treasure chests and any other boss rewards (ie peerless done in fel)
    • 'green' pet ps to the tram ones and also any other boss reward (ie peerless, em boss's, medusa etc)
    The fact that the fel pet scrolls could be transferred would of still added major value to that type.  The amount of pets in the game far exceeds the amount of scrolls available.

But yeah we will keep pandering to the small pvp population to the detriment of everyone else.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Making the scrolls shard bound would lower overall scroll prices on the local shard because there would be a greater supply of them.  There would be a greater supply because the scrolls would not be getting transferred to Atlantic. 
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    keven2002 said:
    Hard pass on #1. I'd be fine with the idea of other fighting abilities being used on pets.

It's funny people will use the "it doesn't make sense" about animals using something like macing when we are talking about a world with dragons/lichs/clockwork exodus (super realistic right?)... oh and the same animals it wouldn't make sense to put macing on is the same one with magery/mystic (they don't wear LRC suits or carry reagents but can cast??). If they don't make animals use "fighting ability" as a skill and limit it to strictly wrestling, I think they should probably up the spawn rate of wrestling scrolls to counter balance their usage which is probably just as unpopular.
    Bipedal creature such as Tsuki Wolf with hands to hold a weapon would be fine to learn to wield a sword, mace etc. But not all bipedal because some do not have hands. Perhaps another famous excuse like, "oh u can have a parrot but it won't show on your char/pet in top view."

They may agree to have pets with shields for parry and using bow for archery too. It does not have to show on its toon. 

:D 

p.s. pls clear the bugs first...
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    So, if they did this in tram, no protection, so only 6 scrolls drop. If you think that you had a decent chance getting looting rights from a champ when there could be 20 other people hitting it, good luck.

I am saying there will be so many people chaining them, both scripters and players, that i think you will be sol

You have better chances to not get raided in fel.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I think part of the misconception of people who don't do champs is that you get all 120's and mastery 3's every time  and that they are all the in demand ones.... 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited August 2020
    All you need to get 6 scrolls at a champ in fel is 3 skills and a talisman.

Hiding
    stealth
    spellweaving

stealth up to a champ, wait until boss is redlined with a sampire hitting it. Use talisman of ward removal on sampire, sampire prob won’t notice and will die, word of death champ, loot 3 scrolls from sampire corpse, (3 drop in your bag)

how is this difficult?

Winning
    Norry said:
    So, if they did this in tram, no protection, so only 6 scrolls drop. If you think that you had a decent chance getting looting rights from a champ when there could be 20 other people hitting it, good luck.

I am saying there will be so many people chaining them, both scripters and players, that i think you will be sol

You have better chances to not get raided in fel.
    Disagree.  There are about 10 champ spawns in tram that can run concurrently; most shards don't seem to have enough active players to be saturating all champs spawns at once.  The recent invasions give a sense of what you could expect, and on many shards, it was no more than 10 active people (in one city/place).

Again, try it and see what happens.

Many development teams usually split up the back-end service work and the front end client work, so it seems unlikely this would even influence the ability to fix e.g. EC client bugs (some I'd like to see fixed as well).

McDougle said:
    I think part of the misconception of people who don't do champs is that you get all 120's and mastery 3's every time  and that they are all the in demand ones.... 
    Indeed, when ToT was active, I probably got 3 primer 3's out of 100-200 total (from Serado).

• MissEMissE Posts: 776
    McDougle said:
    I seriously doubt this.  Most player I know KNOW that most scrolls you get are trash scrolls, hence why they don't bother doing the champ spawns in fel as the aggravation involved in doing the spawns and getting jumped by pk's at the last second after working the spawn for the no risk reds/blue pk'ers to come in and take the rewards puts most people off and isn't worth the time or effort for very little or no reward.  

All this rubbish about risk v reward I always find hilarious, the ONLY players who risk are the non pk chars who stand bugger all chance against those pks whose templates are set up to just kill. The pk chars have zero risk but are just like lame muggers preying on chars who are not set up to pvp. 

What I suggested above allows those wanting pet scrolls a fun experience and as @ForeverFun said they will not be swamped.  Opening up all the tram spawns JUST for pet scrolls would make those spawns worth doing and if the scrolls are shard bound then farming wont be necessary.  The pet scrolls should always of been separate to the character scrolls.  Someone is probably making money off it given the stupid prices you see for them on Atl.

And Yeah I do spawn before you go on about trammies, I just find it the most boring of things to do to get a bunch of crap scrolls when all I want is scrolls for pets. I am not in the slightest bit interested in getting scrolls for money which is what the current system is set up to do.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    edited August 2020
    If people are taking their PvM exclusive chars to a PvP environment, that it their own risk.

My main char (verMyn) is designed to do PvM but can defend myself in PvP too. You’re welcome to employ a similar tactic.

As for the comment about selling scrolls. Gold/Money is used as trade for goods and services. Please keep your far left wing communist rhetoric to other outlets.

Trammel already has all other exclusive content, Roof, Medusa, all the Abyss, Doom, Travesty, Ararat, Andros. Dreadhorn, Grizzle. Why so greedy? 

you could do these, and trade for scrolls. 

We have gone down that path, i have even suggested where to farm for expensive pvp gear, and people wouldnt beleive me. They want the 1 item theybare after, and dont want to look down any parralel paths.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Mervyn said:
    If people are taking their PvM exclusive chars to a PvP environment, that it their own risk.

My main char (verMyn) is designed to do PvM but can defend myself in PvP too. You’re welcome to employ a similar tactic.

As for the comment about selling scrolls. Gold/Money is used as trade for goods and services. Please keep your far left wing communist rhetoric to other outlets.

Trammel already has all other exclusive content, Roof, Medusa, all the Abyss, Doom, Travesty, Ararat, Andros. Dreadhorn, Grizzle. Why so greedy? 

The Gold/Money line should just say Money for the never to be sufficiently cursed "Avatar" and his kind. 

PS when some one starts saying things like "far left wing communist rhetoric" they are admitting they lost the argument and are resorting to name calling to get their way.
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    Tim said:
    Mervyn said:

The Gold/Money line should just say Money for the never to be sufficiently cursed "Avatar" and his kind. 

PS when some one starts saying things like "far left wing communist rhetoric" they are admitting they lost the argument and are resorting to name calling to get their way.
    Usually when someone says "far left wing communist rhetoric", they just don't agree with you. You're not making many valid points here. Haven't we all seen where communism has failed time and time again?
  • RockStaRRockStaR Posts: 168
    Leave it as is.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Politics, left, right or center, do not belong on this forum.