Graphics quality in EC

VendettaVendetta Posts: 7
edited July 2020 in General Discussions
Started using EC.  Wondering if this is normal quality in EC.  This is fully zoomed in at 1920x1080 windowed on a Geforce GTX 1050.

1.jpg 59.4K

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    mine doesn't appear that bad, but zoomed in is your worst resolution, it looks best at the default. (hit Alt *)  
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• VendettaVendetta Posts: 7
    Thanks.  Still doesn't look all that good, any ideas?  W.O.W. looks amazing!!
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    The advantage of a modern Graphics engine. 
    I'd settle for the ability to enlarge the interface without down scaling the resolution. So please add me to the request for ideas.

PS
    I keep saying if I win the big one I'll pay to have UO's core program (graphics engine) rewritten.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Vendetta said:
    Thanks.  Still doesn't look all that good, any ideas?  W.O.W. looks amazing!!
    The game is 20+ years old. They were working on a "high res" graphics update but it got dropped :(
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Yeah, I cannot get a nice, hi-res nice screenshot for my profile.

I am not sure if Hi-res may cause lag during events. As it is now, events are very laggy and I have to turn off all sorts of graphics effects, sound, etc.

Depending on what we do, it would be good if player select the preferred resolution in the settings, like some of the other games.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    This is today with screen fully enlarged in EC.  I'm perfectly happy with it, I play the game - not look at it for a high res eyecatcher and I see nothing wrong with this.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I wear contacts and these screen shots remind me of when of when its time to go get a stronger prescription.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    Parnoc said:
    This is today with screen fully enlarged in EC.  I'm perfectly happy with it, I play the game - not look at it for a high res eyecatcher and I see nothing wrong with this.

This ^^^.

I play in EC and see similar resolution to what Parnoc has shared.  It's fine by me. 

This is a 20+ year old game, I don't think you're going to find the most modern graphics here - especially if you're going to compare it to WOW or ESO or anything like that.  
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    This is my view, and while I"m not happy with the downstairs bleed-through (does no one QA this stuff in EC before release?) I think it looks fine for the mediocre graphics card I have.
    UOEC.jpg 165.6K
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • TalerTaler Posts: 5
    Merlin said:
    Parnoc said:

This ^^^.

I play in EC and see similar resolution to what Parnoc has shared.  It's fine by me. 

This is a 20+ year old game, I don't think you're going to find the most modern graphics here - especially if you're going to compare it to WOW or ESO or anything like that.  
    To be fair, WoW came out in 2004 and EC came out in 2009. UO maybe 20+ years old but the client is not. WoW has just upgraded it's engine over time. 

Supporting two clients though probably makes upgrades tough. They should decide on one of the clients (high res CC or EC) and drop the other. Even if it means losing people. We might actually get better updates this way.
  • VendettaVendetta Posts: 7
    Both those images look much better than mine.  If u folks are running a GeForce can u post your Nvidia settings pls?  Thanks
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    GeForce NGX 1060 3g
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    edited August 2020
    My screenshot is from an old NVIDIA 960 and it's not even a computer monitor, it's a 32" TV that cost new about $100.
    edited August 2020
    Regardless of the hardware screen res, the game res is fixed. They should make them higher res so they appear bigger in higher res even on old HD 1920 screen. Newer screens are 4k or higher. 

32in screen, some time its not just the cost issue but space for such size screen. Would be happy if they can make it HD res on a 15" notebook screen that is also just 1920 not 2k or 4k.
    For sure Seth, it takes room because you have to be quite a bit back from the big screens.  I have a 40 Inch on my desktop and it sits on a table behind my desk.  I'm away from home now so when I go home this 32" will be my laptop monitor.  I'm lucky I guess, I have a room all to myself with a L shaped desk with tons of room.
    edited August 2020
    Parnoc said:
    For sure Seth, it takes room because you have to be quite a bit back from the big screens.  I have a 40 Inch on my desktop and it sits on a table behind my desk.  I'm away from home now so when I go home this 32" will be my laptop monitor.  I'm lucky I guess, I have a room all to myself with a L shaped desk with tons of room.
    Yeah, its not just the screen size, the chair has to move back too.

I do have a L-shaped as well, but it has to accommodate one 24" screen and two 15" notebooks.

Right hand Logitech G604 for notebook 1, and Left hand Razer Tartarus for notebook 2.
    This is how I run 2 accounts actively in control...

Sometimes I have to zoom in really big to move things around, and hope the resolution can be better.
  • DubhDubh Posts: 28
    Seth said:
    Would be happy if they can make it HD res on a 15" notebook screen that is also just 1920 not 2k or 4k.
    I'd be happy if they could reliably pixel double everything. This is going to be the thing that ultimately kills UO. I couldn't get the fonts in UO big enough to read on a high density screen, and that's the direction the industry is going.
    Dubh said:
    Seth said:
    Would be happy if they can make it HD res on a 15" notebook screen that is also just 1920 not 2k or 4k.
    I'd be happy if they could reliably pixel double everything. This is going to be the thing that ultimately kills UO. I couldn't get the fonts in UO big enough to read on a high density screen, and that's the direction the industry is going.
    I cannot recall if CC has the feature, but EC allow to change font and sizes. In fact I prefer smaller fonts as the words some times block the screen from clicking or targeting.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Seth said:
    Dubh said:
    Seth said:
    I cannot recall if CC has the feature, but EC allow to change font and sizes. In fact I prefer smaller fonts as the words some times block the screen from clicking or targeting.
    Not that big. Just from really tiny to small. 
  • DubhDubh Posts: 28
    Seth said:
    The largest option is still pretty uncomfortably small on high density screens.
    Yeah, can't complaint if there are higher res and larger font options. My reading glasses has the highest power available. 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    I keep a magnifying glass close by to read some of the gumps.
  • Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    My kids play this hot new cutting edge game called minecraft for hours pretty much daily. They are very impressed with my games 20 year old graphics on CC. 
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com