Shadowguard and Doom Being Endlessly Scripted

The devs are aware of this but it may be time to actually do something about it. Looks like there is a diminishing return system going in for the TOT reward style events might want to implement a time based diminishing return for Shadowguard and Doom to curb the endless scripts being ran there just an idea anyways. Sure nothing will happen and vendors like these keep popping up everywhere. Scripters can't even give away these items anymore:

This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    How much are those Jumus?  I don't see any Hawkwinds.

Some nights 8 or more players go do Shadowguard in pairs on LS.  If Shadowguard is ruined because you think someone is scripting it, the UO population will drop.

Fix scripting and don't affect legit players!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Those coukd be from idocs, shard hopping,duping, legit play by unemployed/retirees, or scripting.

Just dont always assume the worst.

I am not saying it doesnt happen. But there are people who legit chain it 4 or 5 times a day on napa
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    Doesn't look that out of the ordinary to me. That's about what my stash of Exodus items looks like. No scripts involved.
    -Arroth
  • I'm guessing it's a buy low, sell high operation
  • Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    I do not see this as evidence of someone scripting.

Lots of ways to load a vendor like that. Some are legal. Lots of shards to play on and do this all day long if you wanted. 
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited July 2020
    I wish I could post actual proof but I'd likely get banned or the post deleted. I'll just forward proof to the devs. You can go to these shards and watch them all go in and out 24/7 on the days they decide to script this but I'm sure most of you will just say they're legit players lol. 

ps: it's not a buy-low, sell-high operation lol

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    If they would fix the glitch (bug .. exploit..) that allows 2 final bosses to spawn at once and give double drops, that would stop alot of it. We do the roof every Monday night (and no we do not use the glitch) at least and I haven't gotten a drop in over 2 months. (Often, no one in party gets a drop either.) I been doing the roof for 3 or 4 years and still have not completed my Cameo Set. The drop rate Def Does Not need to be lowered.

(And yes a few of us have reported 'the glitch'.)
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Its so weird, I just returned since around March and only do SG slightly more in the past 2 weeks. About once every 2 days because of the luck statue, and in between I did high seas which I missed last year after the rollout. Already got a Cameo Repond slayer, one Minax Sandals, one Jumu. And a few of useless arties which I exchanged for cleaning points. I don't think its that bad at least for my shard as overall I doubt did more than 12 runs.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    username said:
    The devs are aware of this but it may be time to actually do something about it. Looks like there is a diminishing return system going in for the TOT reward style events might want to implement a time based diminishing return for Shadowguard and Doom to curb the endless scripts being ran there just an idea anyways. Sure nothing will happen and vendors like these keep popping up everywhere. Scripters can't even give away these items anymore:

Drops from Shadowguard has always been better and more frequent than peerless and dark father. If there is a vendor selling alot of  say Paroxysmus dragon or the dark father recipies, maybe they can be suspected.

But frankly speaking, assuming someone is willing to help you develop a free private software to script solo the shadowguard, that must be a very complicated script. I don't think it will be cheap.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    I do not know about scripting BUT, a few days ago on Atlantic General Chat a player was shouting about a cheat that players have been using for years now to "triple" their Shadowguards drops and, thus, get a lot more goodies....

Not going to say more about it and do not even know whether it is fake news or for real but I think that the Developers ( @Kyronix , @Bleak ?) should investigate on this matter some more....
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Did he spin till he puked, then chuck 6 str pots, then eat tribal berrys?
    Because that never works for me
    edited July 2020
    Norry said:
    It was something different and, at least according to what he said, some "better informed" players have been using it to triple their Roof drops for years....
  • popps said:
    Norry said:
    It was something different and, at least according to what he said, some "better informed" players have been using it to triple their Roof drops for years....
    Not saying this is a real thing because that would be discussing game exploits and that is very against the rules, im just going to lay my finger on a random emotion button. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    There might be people scripting certain rooms but I'm not sure how someone would fully script the entire shadowguard loop to run 24/7; there are too many variables. That said, there is no way that we should have a timer or whatever on shadowguard drops.

I will run shadowguard several times back to back (same with Doom) because like many other things in game you have a certain suit/template/setup that just makes it more worthwhile to do a few rounds while you are setup. If there was some sort of timer put on there, it's only punishing players for being good at those things and honestly for me it wouldn't be worth setting my character up to do just 1 round for a chance at a drop. There is no need to make shadowguard/doom like mining/lumberjacking.
    edited July 2020
    keven2002 said:
    There might be people scripting certain rooms but I'm not sure how someone would fully script the entire shadowguard loop to run 24/7; there are too many variables. That said, there is no way that we should have a timer or whatever on shadowguard drops.

I will run shadowguard several times back to back (same with Doom) because like many other things in game you have a certain suit/template/setup that just makes it more worthwhile to do a few rounds while you are setup. If there was some sort of timer put on there, it's only punishing players for being good at those things and honestly for me it wouldn't be worth setting my character up to do just 1 round for a chance at a drop. There is no need to make shadowguard/doom like mining/lumberjacking.
    How did it end up with script Mining and script Lumberjacking ?

Weren't regular players to get screwed up when Resources where randomized to attempt deal with scripters ?

Scripters continued their 24/7 scripting, only now getting random resources, and regular players who did not script and had limited playing time got screwed since they could no longer be able to get high end resources in the limited time they could play with resources being randomized....

My opinion is, that the problem might come from the fact that, perhaps, rather then addressing the root of scripting, that is using Third Party software that permits the scripting, sometimes, perhaps, in-game solutions are attempted which unfurtunately end up only marginally affecting scripters and hurt more, to my understanding from players posts in the Forums, those regular players who do not script and have limited playing time....

Take for example the IDOC changes....

While in regards to the loot distribution they may have affected somehow scripters getting most of the loot, in regards to actually placing a House in-game, I keep seeing posts of players lamenting that Scripters are still having it easy at placing homes....

And even in regards to loot, I think that scripters are getting less not mainly because of the changed way to obtain loot (the barrels), but mostly, because now IDOCs are visible to everyone, everyone can get to them and, thus, scripters have more competition towards getting the loot.

But they still can, if they want to, script hitting the barrels with multiple characters.....

What I do not understand is why, with todays' technology and software knowledge that there is, it is so difficult to find out which players might be scripting and which players might be not.

I mean, a script is a script and, thus, by definition, it has a pattern that repeats itself, over and over.

Sure, some variations might be put in to make it look "less automated" but, still, it is a pattern that when the scripts ends, starts all over again...

Is it that difficult to put in some sort of detecting software that assesses the repetitions of a characters gameplay and so can ring a bell in the Game Masters' room when there is suspicion that a script might be used by a player so as to prompt for further investigation directly by a Game Master and consequent action taken against the account in case actual scripting is found to be ongoing ?

Also, I am wondering, perhaps it could be coded that the Ultima Online Client would self-shut down if it saw other programs running on the computer unless they are autorized ones by the game Publisher to run together with their game software....

People use chat programs ? Need to get Broadsword authorize them.... some utility programs that UO players use with the Classic Client, I think might already be authorized from back in the days... others, would need to get a new authorization not to prompt the UO Client to self shut down because it detects them running....

Anyways, if players have the need to have some other program be authorized they would ask Broadsword and, if authorized because they are not seen as an issue to Ultima Online's gameplaying, the UO Client would be permitted to run together with them.

Anything else not authorized ? The Ultima Online client would "self-shut" giving a warning to reach a safe location in 2 minutes (like it happens for server down).

Is it that hard to do ? I have no idea, but what I am trying to say is, that, unless the root of the scripting problem is addressed and only limited solutions are found to try to contain the scripting issue, my opinion is, that these solutions will most often end up hurting more the legittimate players who do not script and have limited time to play the game, rather then those scripting...

That is at least how I see it.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Marge said:
    If they would fix the glitch (bug .. exploit..) that allows 2 final bosses to spawn at once and give double drops, that would stop alot of it. We do the roof every Monday night (and no we do not use the glitch) at least and I haven't gotten a drop in over 2 months. (Often, no one in party gets a drop either.) I been doing the roof for 3 or 4 years and still have not completed my Cameo Set. The drop rate Def Does Not need to be lowered.

They did fix this over a year ago, when was the last time you were able to do this?
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    When were you invited back ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
     :D 
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Mervyn said:
    Marge said:

They did fix this over a year ago, when was the last time you were able to do this?
    I never did it. When I first did the roof about 4 years ago, the group I went with did it that way. I don't even know how they did it and I'm good not knowing. I like my 20 year accounts and don't want to get banned over crap like that. I never heard it was fixed. Maybe someone did listen to the 'bug' emails.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited September 2020
    They fixed the exploit for 2 bosses to spawn however there’s a different exploit to get multiple drops, no need for 2 bosses to spawn. 

(Reproduction details withheld)
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2021
    "receiving reports today this multiple shadowguard drop exploit has been closed, was working up to yesterday, not working today"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Balin_WingnutBalin_Wingnut Posts: 43
    edited March 2021
    So as a computer scientist I can tell you its not easy at all to write a script that would do shadow guard for you. That would literally be programming your own AI (unless there's some cheesy, safe way to do it that I don't know about). Scripts work well for repetitive tasks that don't require complex input. Fighting mobs in the highest end PvE activity in the game is an extremely complex environment. 

Just because someone has a lot of items doesn't mean its scripted, and that picture doesn't even seem to be what I'd consider "a lot" of items. 
  • If you can't post proof, why don't you just post which shard and at what times and what actions you have witnessed that make you feel like its a script and not just players running it efficiently.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2021

Our guild run Shadowguard approx 5 times a day, we are pretty quick at it, we can even hit with 2 parties, we farm it non-stop, basically because that is where the Cameo's are.

We easily have that many of all the other items, yes, they are often just clean-up points to me by now.

I think the point is, Shadowguard is just the most heavily farmed content ingame.

I've not seen any evidence of scripting myself.

• GalluccioGalluccio Posts: 77
    Pawain said:
    How much are those Jumus?  I don't see any Hawkwinds.

Some nights 8 or more players go do Shadowguard in pairs on LS.  If Shadowguard is ruined because you think someone is scripting it, the UO population will drop.

Fix scripting and don't affect legit players!
    I think it's kinda nice to see people play the game.  Without those "players" I'm in there fighting that stuff solo.  Just saying.  I'm 100 percent for those players if it helps me fight stuff.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "update: only partial change to multiple drop exploit on shadowguard, can still receive 2 x drop but cannot receive 3 x drop, so replication details witheld"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    edited April 2021
    update: still being multiboxed harder than ever. no one gives a shit

for those asking for evidence, yea what am I going to do, ask them to invite me in to their party and watch them in their OWN INSTANCE? lol

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I guess you could upload a video of it somewhere and email then a link but yeah who knows if anything would happen from reporting it. The lack of confidence that anything would be done is unfortunate. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    username said:
    update: still being multiboxed harder than ever. no one gives a shit

for those asking for evidence, yea what am I going to do, ask them to invite me in to their party and watch them in their OWN INSTANCE? lol
    Report them using Harassment 
    So exactly how do you see other groups in Shadowguard?

Just a serious question.