Delayed swing?

MalokMalok Posts: 48
edited June 2020 in General Discussions
What's up with melee weapons on mobs? I can swing 10 plus times normally at the right speed, and than sometimes it appears I get hung up and he pauses like my character is not sure what to do before resuming swinging his weapon, essentially skipping a swing. Not paralyzed and it wasn't a swing and a miss nor anything else...Very annoying on some higher end mobs because there is no room for error to pause for 2 seconds plus instead of swinging his weapon. Crazy to die and get ****** on durability because of this... 

Anyone else experience this with a sampire? Seems more likely to happen with the whirlwind attack.. 

*edit by Rorschach*

Comments

• NorryNorry Posts: 515
    I know they built in a timer on swings after some chiv spells... because it doesnt make sense, but a dev thought it was over powered.
  • MalokMalok Posts: 48
    Im not even using chiv spells... Guys swings normally 10-15 times... than stands there like a bozo .... that crap needs to be fixed 
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    @Malok Have you checked your Stamina when you skip a swing?  Perhaps your character is tired.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    My first thought is the Lag monster. Hows your ping rate?
    Rock said:
    @ Malok Have you checked your Stamina when you skip a swing?  Perhaps your character is tired.
    100% stamina
    Tim said:
    Tim said:
    Ping is in the 30's
  • Since you mention WW specifically, my guess is, it's to do with the 'Target Nearest Hostile/Mobile' macro that you are likely trying to spam.

If you use 'Target Nearest Mobile', it does not always target the nearest mobile for a multitude of reasons (friendlies, pets, NPCs etc).
    or...
    If you use 'Target Nearest Hostile', unless a mob is actually aggroed on you it will not be targeted.

In both cases it will likely target something more than 1 tile away and leaves you standing there not swinging until the target is updated by spamming the macro or moving a little.

Just a guess but this sounds exactly like your problem.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Are there mobs near you?
    Does it happen when you are one on one with a single mob.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Malok said:
    Tim said:
    Tim said:
    Ping is in the 30's

Good ping can still experience a lag spike. With the millions of people at home right now lag spikes have been much more common. Seems everyone is checking faceinstatwitter at the same time. 
    Since you mention WW specifically, my guess is, it's to do with the 'Target Nearest Hostile/Mobile' macro that you are likely trying to spam.

If you use 'Target Nearest Mobile', it does not always target the nearest mobile for a multitude of reasons (friendlies, pets, NPCs etc).
    or...
    If you use 'Target Nearest Hostile', unless a mob is actually aggroed on you it will not be targeted.

In both cases it will likely target something more than 1 tile away and leaves you standing there not swinging until the target is updated by spamming the macro or moving a little.

Not the case, im only targeting the boss and it never happens 1 v 1 .. since the boss is alive right next to me and not moving I should continue to swing... For some reason in doom my client just auto closes as well quite a bit which makes me believe the initial thing with the swings is a bug that needs to be fixed, no point in going there if i need to leave after 2 darkfathers because my durability on my armor is shot due to dying from this bug.
    Malok said:
    Since you mention WW specifically, my guess is, it's to do with the 'Target Nearest Hostile/Mobile' macro that you are likely trying to spam.

or...

Not the case, im only targeting the boss and it never happens 1 v 1 .. since the boss is alive right next to me and not moving I should continue to swing... For some reason in doom my client just auto closes as well quite a bit which makes me believe the initial thing with the swings is a bug that needs to be fixed, no point in going there if i need to leave after 2 darkfathers because my durability on my armor is shot due to dying from this bug.
    You just said it never happens 1 v 1.
    That means it is exactly a targeting issue. Like yiu said. A mob targets you and your toon decides to switch targets to it. But the target is not in range so you can't swing at it.

It's targeting AI and not lag.
  • XrisXris Posts: 130
    Pawain said:
    Malok said:

or...

That means it is exactly a targeting issue. Like yiu said. A mob targets you and your toon decides to switch targets to it. But the target is not in range so you can't swing at it.

This happens to me all the time, the targeting system is bad. I dunno about EC, but targeting in CC has to be improved. Sometimes I spam nearest hostile and it picks something up almost a full screen away.
    Pawain said:
    Malok said:

or...

How so, I'm only targeting the boss.... ??? I'm right on top of him.. 
    Xris said:
    Pawain said:
    Malok said:

or...

This happens to me all the time, the targeting system is bad. I dunno about EC, but targeting in CC has to be improved. Sometimes I spam nearest hostile and it picks something up almost a full screen away.
    Xris said:
    Pawain said:
    Malok said:

or...

Im using EC ... not spamming any targeting as I am already locked onto the boss which im standing on top of... 
    edited June 2020

This is what YOU said above:

Not the case, im only targeting the boss and it never happens 1 v 1

So does your toon miss a swing when 1 v 1?

I can only go by what you tell us.

If it does not happen 1 v 1 Like YOU said, then it is a targeting issue with the games AI.
    Pawain said:

This is what YOU said above:

Not the case, im only targeting the boss and it never happens 1 v 1

So does your toon miss a swing when 1 v 1?

I can only go by what you tell us.

If it does not happen 1 v 1 Like YOU said, then it is a targeting issue with the games AI.

Said that a few posts up.. he's not missing, he's just not swinging... like he is sitting there thinking about what to do... 

They need to fix that targeting issue.. if I am always targeting the boss and on top of him... My toon should not be trying to target anyone else.. when using WW he should swing regardless.. should not have to sit there and let the AI think about how many targets are there.. 
    ok. So you don't swing  1 v 1 sometimes.  Sorry cant help ya there.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited June 2020
    It happens during 1v1, after breaking a paralyse spell, my toons will stand there doing nothing even when the monster is just next to it. So instead of activating the trap box directly, I made a macro to:
    1) Activate Trap Box
    2) Target Nearest Enemy (since it is already attacking me)
    3) Attack Current Target
    4) I add Evasion after this also as it may be attacked by a mob during paralyse. This is a macro to deal with all situations and not just 1v1.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I actually experience something very similar with my sampire and it's very frustrating. Just guessing here but I'm assuming you are talking about Doom, targeting the DF as the primary while you whirlwind to kill all the undead mob around you. I've also noticed that sometimes it seems to hang and just like you said it the most basic summary is that it seems like your guy is just sitting there (while you actively attacking the DF). My average ping is 9 and I've noticed this for years now so I don't think it's lag/connectivity (unless it's on the UO server side).

The only thing I can think of when it happens to me is either
    1) I'm using a hit area axe and I've noticed in other situations hit area/hit spell will change your aggro even when you are literally clicking what you want to attack. It's a split second and most of the time I hit the intended target the very next swing but I could see this being a little glitchy where you hit area or spell and it changes target and switching back causes a hidden "must wait to perform that" type of message (like when you try to pick up and move multiple items too fast) that essentially makes your guy not swing at anything until you can "perform the next action". 
    2) It's a graphics glitch that looks like you aren't swinging but in reality it's just a miss. This theory is a little harder to prove because usually there is a lot else going on (spells/people running around/monster noises/etc) so it's hard to actually hear if it's a miss.

I think it's probably the first one because I've noticed other issues with a sampire swings like using a special move (and it's been very frequent recently). I'm chaining AI or WW non stop (I have the icons on my screen in CC to see if it's engaged) and every so often (happens multiple times a day though) I'll go to do another AI/WW and it is NOT red like it's ready to trigger but when I hit; it actually hits the special. Then other times, especially on generals, I will have it queued up but I swing (and miss but there is no message for attack to be parried) and the special is no performed but removes the activation of the special (I need to trigger it again). This is very frustrating for me who really uses the audio queue to press the special again and without any parry sound or message the special never goes off and I need to hit it again. As you said when fighting higher end stuff there is very small room for errors. Not sure if that happens to anyone else but I kind of chalk it up to a similar issue as the "not swinging" issue you described.