Someone tell the Broadsword to start marketing UO agian for the love of god

Why isn't Broadsword doing any marketing to acquire new and former players? I mean c'mon, we need more ppl to play or this game gets dull fast. There are already so many worlds that are constantly VACANT and its bullcrap. We need you to either merge Fel and Trammel, or start onboarding more people. Get it together Broadsword. I barely see anything mentioned about Endless Journey, except the occasional post on the forums, which by the way only actual players read. Hire more people, I know of people who have volunteered to help you guys out for FREE and you just ignore them, people with actual experience in the gaming industry.

Comments

• crunchnastycrunchnasty Posts: 241
    The UO Twitter account hasn't posted anything since 2016 lol
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    You mean EA don't you.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    UO Official youtube channel was last post 20th aniv party 6month ago, before that "whats new in UO for 2015". Dont think any of those will bring in more players.

Both UO official youtube and twitter accounts should be more active, atleast show what it has to offer. The new EJ account age should have a campaign with marketing also, otherwise it wouldnt be a good release. Its a great opportunity.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    There are many ways for them to market for free.  They have the emails of all the past account holders.  They have a facebook page.

I don't know why they are not doing something.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    They need things like other games do. Things that are free and will cost them nothing apart from a bit of time. Take Albion Online / Legends of Aria as examples. 

Twitch.tv - they hold official streams or host other people playing the games. 
    Discord channel - A way for players to connect and make friends, ask questions etc.
    Facebook / Twitter - post REGULAR updates and official news etc of what's going on.
    Doesn't BS have a person that does this.  23 people work for BS and I thought they had a community person that was suppose to do both DAoC and UO.
  • FatFat Posts: 97
    Never going to happen with EA pulling BS strings.

Blame LB for selling out to EA instead of going public in 1992. 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204

Or you could take it upon yourselves and do it. Twitter fan pages are extremely common. Since you can make spare money from Youtube I'm not sure why there isn't a regular channel.

• JCtheBuilderJCtheBuilder Posts: 44
    edited April 2018
    The best way to acquire new players is through word of mouth. Not big advertising campaigns or posting on twitter or getting a box on the shelf in Walmart. Whether a game reaches its full potential is entirely up to the community that forms around it.

And I hate to break it to you, but the UO community peaked in 2000-2004. Since then the number of UO fan sites has plummeted from dozens to 2-4(?). There is only a couple Twitch livestreamers. Is anyone posting regular content on YouTube? Even if they are, there is no personality based content (IE: Pewdiepie, Ninja, whatever the kids are into these days). There wasn’t even a forum where everyone could talk for the past 2-3 years until this one launched. 

There is going to be a lot of buzz when Endless Journey launches and people will check it out. There will probably be news articles on gaming websites. Players can do a lot more to market UO than the developers ever could. So if you want to help market the game then it is up to the people reading this post, not the development team. 

Also (and someone can correct me if I’m wrong) marketing budgets have to be justified. If a bunch of money gets spent and EA does not see an adaquate return, that could be disastrous for UO.
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    The account management and new player experience need to be fixed and tuned first, after EJ has been tested in the wild. It's a tiny team with few resources.
    A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
    Try to convince EA to redo Account Management, ain't gonna happen.  They are putting all the money that they are going to for UO and DAoC.
  • I'm not saying a word about EJ and BS/EA shouldn't either till it's all up and running properly. With storage, etc. Someone told me they are limited to having 75 mill? Whaaaat? Anyway, once it is we are gonna need to spread the word. We're far more likely to get former players back than many new players and we know where they hang out.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    Let EJ go live and let the Vets tinker with it and help sort out any issues.  Then when it is solid, you can do the advertising.  I'd recommend trying to recruit YouTube gamers and pitch it as a way for them to play the game and interact with their communities.  Their fans could open EJ accounts and go adventuring with said personality.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Have you googled 'ultima online endless journey'?  You might find there's more out there about it than you think.
  • DragonheartDragonheart Posts: 25
    edited April 2018
    Most of what I have found is player shared. which is great.  But honestly it could be that much better if UO actually posted to twitter, snapchat, instagram, facebook, etc etc.   It doesnt have to be grand it just has to be active.  most of these services can be streamed from one post and its free. Just something to say to players that we are here, we are active, and we are not going anywhere. The fact that they think a newsletter is a good form of marketing shows how behind they are on things. Hell just a youtube video of each meet and greet they do would be more than what they have done.  they arent on twitch tv either.   So much they could do with just a couple clicks of the button.  Like i said it doesnt have to be fancy or cost any money.  It just has to be active. 
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    Calling it Free-To-Play would be a start...
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    Have you googled 'ultima online endless journey'?  You might find there's more out there about it than you think.
    There were a lot more sites out there than I thought there would be and all talk about UO now being F2P no matter what the name is.
  • LillyMae_1LillyMae_1 Posts: 117
    They really need to let steam players pay to play, that would bring in mega amounts of new people steam are willing but EA dont like having to drop the price by a couple of pounds per month, which is silly because in the long run it would totally reinvent the game again bringing loads of life back to it.UO could easily really last another 20 years  if they was to take a step back and look at players request etc 
    1,put the game back out on the shelves like they did the first time around its a completely new generation out there now
    2. let steam players play from the steam platform
    They really need to let steam players pay to play, that would bring in mega amounts of new people steam are willing but EA dont like having to drop the price by a couple of pounds per month, which is silly because in the long run it would totally reinvent the game again bringing loads of life back to it.UO could easily really last another 20 years  if they was to take a step back and look at players request etc 
    1,put the game back out on the shelves like they did the first time around its a completely new generation out there now
    2. let steam players play from the steam platform
    EA owns UO and will not let it be put on steam no matter how many times you people say it.  EA has said NO, not maybe, not we will see but NO.  You can say it all you want to here and guess what EA will never hear you because EA does not read these boards.  If you want to go tell EA something then go tell them on their boards/e-mail, this is BS/UO the people that manage UO for EA.
  • Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    edited April 2018

It would cost next to nothing to put up a single page, no links, with a bad ass graphic. Throw on some funky font type and register a good name.

EndlessJourney.com & UOEndlessJourneyBegins.com are available on GoDaddy right now for 10-15 bucks a year. Those r just the 2 I thought up over my 2nd cup of coffee.

My buddy that does this for a living (art/web design for major brands like Volvo, etc,..) could pop one out in an hour for something so simple. Heck, I could do it.... but its not my job. Anything is better than nothing.

(I'd b glad 2 hook BS up w/ a former Fort Lauderdale Art Institute professor that's run his own Ad agency for years before turning to independent contract work only so he can spend more time with his wife and 3 kids. He prices most stuff by time spent & this he could knock out easily/quickly. I've known him irl +20yrs.)

• PinkertonPinkerton Posts: 105
    If it is:

A.  Important/Meaningful to you
    B. As cheap as everyone seems to think
    C. Necessary to maintain a game you love
    D. Doable by any number of people in the community who have the skills

Why doesn't somebody start a crowdfunding campaign and initiate a player sourced marketing campaign.  I know I pay for the game, but EA gets my money and Broadsword probably does not even see a marketing budget.  I would kick in funds to buy a domain for a year.  others can donate time/skill.  WE could do it without EA.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited April 2018
    Pinkerton said:
    If it is:

A.  Important/Meaningful to you
    B. As cheap as everyone seems to think
    C. Necessary to maintain a game you love
    D. Doable by any number of people in the community who have the skills

Why doesn't somebody start a crowdfunding campaign and initiate a player sourced marketing campaign.  I know I pay for the game, but EA gets my money and Broadsword probably does not even see a marketing budget.  I would kick in funds to buy a domain for a year.  others can donate time/skill.  WE could do it without EA.

BUT
    ... 1 Mil GPs that, if the campaing start to go well, it will recieve a "Cease & Desist" or somethig similar from EA.
    like.png 726.7K
  • EyeEye Posts: 91
    Official-UO-Freeshard.com
    Followed by a cease and desist letter
    Kotaku and similar sites accept reader submissions - I am toying with writing something like "Why You Need to be Playing UO in 2018"
    Ivenor said:

BUT
    ... 1 Mil GPs that, if the campaing start to go well, it will recieve a "Cease & Desist" or somethig similar from EA.

Maybe, but then we would just cease and desist.  I do not see why EA would try to put an end to free marketing.  I doubt they would have a leg to stand on, especially if it were more in the vein of a "fan site." (I am not a lawyer)  But even if they did not want the free publicity and did send a cease and desist, then we would just cease and desist.

I mean why not do it?  1 web domain.  1 awesome graphic. 1 link to EJ sign up. Links to necessary sites (UOGuide, Stratics, Official Forums etc). Crowd funded $ to boost ads on relevant sites.   I don't know anything about this stuff but if someone wants to be the "Director of Player Controlled Marketing"  You can have some of my money.
    Eye said:
    Official-UO-Freeshard.com
    Followed by a cease and desist letter
    Yup, Q.E.D..

EA (but not only their) policy on IP "management" is:

"Gimme gimme gimme, want want want."
                     "But to do what?"
    "MYOB. Want want want gime gimme gimme".

edited April 2018
    Pinkerton said:
    Ivenor said:

BUT

Maybe, but then we would just cease and desist.  I do not see why EA would try to put an end to free marketing.  I doubt they would have a leg to stand on, especially if it were more in the vein of a "fan site." (I am not a lawyer)  But even if they did not want the free publicity and did send a cease and desist, then we would just cease and desist.

I mean why not do it?  1 web domain.  1 awesome graphic. 1 link to EJ sign up. Links to necessary sites (UOGuide, Stratics, Official Forums etc). Crowd funded $ to boost ads on relevant sites.   I don't know anything about this stuff but if someone wants to be the "Director of Player Controlled Marketing"  You can have some of my money.
    Unfortunately I'm from Italy, and to manage a crowfunding for a private citizen in my country is a reaL NIGHTMARE (the American speak bad of their IRS: let's them try out our AdE-GdF combo... BRRRR...  :# ), but if this thing start it can have some of my money too.

About "why EA would try to put an end to free marketing"... well... Because. They. Can.
    Don't try to find common sense in ANY IP-releated corporation actions, or you will be the next "One That Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Remeber that "free" in the context of IP-related matters has (from their PoV) a very sinister sound, as in "free from my talons". :/

Kirthag said:
    Yup. But at least it is new for this one Forum, methink... :D
  • crunchnastycrunchnasty Posts: 241
    ya cause making social media content is so difficult? I mean talk about blowing up the budget lol Broadsword could and should be making an effort to promote content. Then if the players are allowed to under law I would encourage that as well.