Evaluating an Items Value?

:TLDR:
Given a piece or armor or weapon how do you decide whether you will: 
  • Keep
  • Sell
  • Trash for Cleanup Points
  • Unravel
__________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a returning player and I've been back for about 2 weeks. I'm getting to the point that I have collected quite a few items. Most of the magic and lower artifacts I find I feed to my crafter for imbuing mats. However, I'm amassing quite a collection of Greater, Major, and Legendary Artifacts and I'm not sure what to do with them. 

I always run into this point when I play this game. I get all this stuff and fill a bunch of chests with cool stuff that I have no idea whether any of it is good or not. I am bound and determined to figure out how to evaluate an items property this time around. 

So before I go reinventing the wheel, I wanted to ask the community. What tools are available for determining the value of a piece or armor or weapon? If there are no such tools, what are some common practices that you use to determine what you're going to do with an item. As far as I can tell the choices are Keep, Sell, Trash for cleanup points, or Unravel. How do you decide?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    If you are a returning player and the stuff is not better than what you have then it sound like it's not good enough to keep.

I'll just go for the other options. Unless you need relic fragments or its deemed a keeper.  Unravel all the antique stuff.
    Trash all the rest.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • XrisXris Posts: 130
    I wrote a quick write up on these forums for what people are looking for when hunting. Values greatly depends on what stat combos are on the piece. Prices can get crazy, high end splintering weaps, and clean legendaries can sell for platinums. My rule of thumb is if i cant use it or get 5m for it i wont loot it. If your on atl start pricing high and work down, some people will pay whatever it cost to complete their suit.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    For gear,  resists in the 80s, lmc, stats, mana regen.

For jewels, fc 1, fcr 3, mr 3-4. Then depending on pvm or pvp, ep, lmc, ssi, or sdi.

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    Thaleus said:
    Given a piece or armor or weapon how do you decide whether you will: 
    • Keep
    • Sell
    • Trash for Cleanup Points
    • Unravel
    I thought about this a lot, wrote a post, then deleted it. So, here is my second try!

Use the trade boards on this forum and on Stratics. The trade forum on Stratics is quite active. From the trade forums you can see what is actually selling (desired). This doesn't mean you would consider the item "desireable", just that someone does. Keep in mind with the variety in UO, what is "good" is subjective and varies wildly by player, template, etc. 
    -Arroth
  • ThaleusThaleus Posts: 15
    Xris said:
    I wrote a quick write up on these forums for what people are looking for when hunting. Values greatly depends on what stat combos are on the piece. Prices can get crazy, high end splintering weaps, and clean legendaries can sell for platinums. My rule of thumb is if i cant use it or get 5m for it i wont loot it. If your on atl start pricing high and work down, some people will pay whatever it cost to complete their suit.
    Do you have a link to the write up you made. I checked your old forum posts and didn't find anything there
  • FortisFortis Posts: 410
    easy way to compare stuff and price is vendor search