Bannable, TOS violation, or just plain lack of integrity/greed?

Seeking some clarification as this has led to some heated discussion amongst some players.
Many are playing the recent invasions at a chance of grabbing the high end spellbooks.  Given it appears the mage NPCs only drop 3 books, this has lead to some "interesting" behavior in the game.  One such case involves single persons using multiple chars (concurrently) spanning several accounts to try and monopolize the mage book drops.

A simple example of this is a heavy damage dealing sampire character engaging a mage NPC, and then same human switching to control another tamer character to command a Cu Sid to attack the same mage.  Both in-game characters "owned" by one human are now simultaneously dealing damage.  At the end, there is a high chance the one person controlling the two chars walks away with two books (there is usually bragging to this end in game chat, further taunting the players that may have been engaged attacking that NPC).

Perhaps this is the boy scout in me, or is the multi-char nature of this really perfectly kosher?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Popps has a new Account?

If they want to pay for 10 accounts, why cant they use them.

A NOOB returner got 2 50 SDI books today on LS.  And we have at least 20 going to invasions and some call out the locations of mages in chat to harass the very people you think are harrassing.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited May 2020

This is quite normal PvM behaviour to be fair.

If they are paying for the accounts, and they are playing them attended, then they are not really breaking anything. Most top end PvMers play like this these days in everyday hunt scenarios.

I'm one of the few, who only has 1 account, and I just accept it tbh, they are paying for it, and I question if they can be as efficient on 2 accounts, as I can be on 1, but it's one of those things.

People even try this in PvP, that's when it gets funnier. :)

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    I don't know where the "paid account" distinction fits in here.  Wasn't it mentioned that free EJ accounts get the invasion drops too?  Whether my account is new or not, isn't an important factor.

It'd be great to get an official confirmation of stance on this, it can be distilled down to whether it's ok to have multiple chars (controlled by the same person) simultaneously engaged in combat against the same target.

edited May 2020
    I just went to my first invasion today.  Found A gen with no one around.  Got 2 49 books.  

I have two complete computers so I am attended on both.  Sorry.
    Or I could say my wife is on the other account.
    Or how would anyone know I own them both.

My other guy is sitting in Luna.  you can ban him.  he not attended. :D
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    Haven’t people been doing this for years and years 
    I’m pretty sure it’s allowed 
    there are a few times I’ve had two accounts running mostly to Rez my main one other time I used a second account to help kill Plunderbeacons that I’ve only ever soloed 
    I don’t have any characters strong enough or equipped enough to really engage high end mobs 
    but I think it’s completely “legal” game play if people do as long as each character is being controlled independently and not with 3rd party programs 
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Multi-clienting (without the use of 3rd party apps to control those clients simultaneity) has been legal for at least a decade.  However, it is not supported (technical support) by Ultima... you are responsible for figuring out how to do it and how to play.  This is the message you get when you launch a second, third, fourth, etc client.
    Cookie said:

If they are paying for the accounts, and they are playing them attended, then they are not really breaking anything. Most top end PvMers play like this these days in everyday hunt scenarios.

I'm one of the few, who only has 1 account, and I just accept it tbh, they are paying for it, and I question if they can be as efficient on 2 accounts, as I can be on 1, but it's one of those things.

It takes quite a bit of practice to manually control multiple clients in a highly active encounter.

Take the OP contention... that someone controlling multiple characters is attacking the mage generals to get multiple books... Like it’s just a walk in the park to stroll into the city at the beginning of the invasion, locate the specific general they want who would obviously be all alone with no other spawn around it and kill it.
  • GraceGrace Posts: 148
    Seeking some clarification as this has led to some heated discussion amongst some players.
    Many are playing the recent invasions at a chance of grabbing the high end spellbooks.  Given it appears the mage NPCs only drop 3 books, this has lead to some "interesting" behavior in the game.  One such case involves single persons using multiple chars (concurrently) spanning several accounts to try and monopolize the mage book drops.

A simple example of this is a heavy damage dealing sampire character engaging a mage NPC, and then same human switching to control another tamer character to command a Cu Sid to attack the same mage.  Both in-game characters "owned" by one human are now simultaneously dealing damage.  At the end, there is a high chance the one person controlling the two chars walks away with two books (there is usually bragging to this end in game chat, further taunting the players that may have been engaged attacking that NPC).

Perhaps this is the boy scout in me, or is the multi-char nature of this really perfectly kosher?

It is poor sportsmanship to bring multiple accounts to events in my opinion. 

Other situations don't matter as much, but still think it is negative to the overall health of the game.
    Merus said:
    Cookie said:

It takes quite a bit of practice to manually control multiple clients in a highly active encounter.

Take the OP contention... that someone controlling multiple characters is attacking the mage generals to get multiple books... Like it’s just a walk in the park to stroll into the city at the beginning of the invasion, locate the specific general they want who would obviously be all alone with no other spawn around it and kill it.

Very difficult to get 2 accounts on a target in Yew and Minoc.  The book droppers are always in a crowd.  Since they are only at the beginning there are a bunch of hungry Mobs targeting you.
    Grace said:

It is poor sportsmanship to bring multiple accounts to events in my opinion. 

Other situations don't matter as much, but still think it is negative to the overall health of the game.
    I can almost promise you the only thing keeping this game alive is people having multiple accounts.  If people pay for the accounts, they are just as entitled to be played by the rules as any other account.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Unfair advantage for players using classic client. It has built in Auto Follow. So we see guys dragging another 2 around as they run. Then when they locked on a target, right hand can easily control say sampire with mmo mouse while other char screen just need activate one-time macro to dismount all kill nearest enemy. 

So I was so sad when they make EC instant change of gear with timer like the classic. I don’t want to bring up an old topic but all this time it appears a lot of bias siding classic client users. Pampered...? By the way many still stick with Classic Client because they can enjoy 3rd party unapproved apps. 

I wished EC has more 3rd party but I only know Pinco which I don’t use. So I use only pure EC with no add on. Versus classic client users with tonnes of unauthorised 3rd party with unfair advantage. So sad. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MalokMalok Posts: 48
    edited May 2020
    Its the same Im sure every server ... bum rush the books... TBH once you know what to look for its not that hard to get one. 
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited May 2020

Bannable, TOS violation, or just plain lack of integrity/greed?

How about a 4th option? No need to have all of your options be "negative". As long as they are not multiboxxing, Just call it what it is, playing smart. If they can keep 2 or 3 characters alive in the spawn, as long as the are playing "legally", more power to them. Everyone can do it. FYI, it's completely legal as long as they have to switch screens to command pets, or move a player. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Seperately controlling more than one character is not a ToS violation, provided they are both 'attended', which in this case they are.
    It takes some skill to manage that situation, as the character not currently being controlled is highly vulnerable to attack from surrounding spawn.
    Whether it is morally acceptable to double their chances of a drop is something I leave to the judgement of others.
    I bought 4 Lottery tickets today.  I feel bad.  I should tear up 3 of them.
    edited May 2020
    So is this the same as what we also do?  We get in small groups, form a party and run around looking for the book droppers.  Then call the others to the location.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    Allowing drops for ej accounts is the stupid point of this event. All events should required active accounts for top rewards
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Fortis said:
    Allowing drops for ej accounts is the stupid point of this event. All events should required active accounts for top rewards
    I agree completely!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    KHAN said:
    Fortis said:
    I agree completely!
    You can add me to that list
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    This is an on or off event. EJ accounts were not a consideration when this event first ran. Enjoy the event as is while it is running.
This discussion has been closed.