game mechanics: please confirm or correct this info

RockRock Posts: 567
edited May 2020 in General Discussions
(Note: due to a site font bug, the equals signs below all look like minus signs  :# )

Over the years I have built up some concepts regarding certain game mechanics.  I cannot say where/when I acquired this "knowledge", so I thought I'd see if you-all are able to verify or correct the following items:
  1. 1 MR = 10 Meditation = 20 Battle Focus
  2. 1 SR = 10 Battle Focus
  3. 1 HCI = 1 battle skill (swords, wrestling, etc) (offense)
  4. 1 DCI = 1 battle skill (defense)
  5. 1 DCI = 4 Parry (shield)
  6. 1 DCI = 8 Parry (2-handed weap, no shield or Bushido)
  7. 1 DI = 1 Tactics = 2 Anatomy = 5 Lumberjacking (with axe)
  8. 3 SDI = 1 Eval
  9. 1 SDI = 10 Inscription
As a general rule, I believe level caps only apply to properties from wearables.  Buffs from native abilities and skills are not capped, and, along with wearables, often display as exceeding a cap.  In addition to the equivalencies shown, a GM-level skill often gets one or more additional bonus.  For example, GM lumberjacking gives the expected 20 DI, plus an additional 5 DI.  Plus one axe hit in 10 will get an additional 100% DI.  Also, some skills modify the equivalencies, as Bushido does with Parry.

Note that Damage Increase in regards to Wrestling is nerfed, especially in regards to a Necro in Horrific Beast form.  (See Another Look at Focused Necromancy)  Also these represent the effect on players; I have no idea how pet stats, skills, and properties track.

Please correct any mistakes, and feel free to add your own game-mechanic equivalencies.

Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• Rock said:

1. 1 MR = 10 Meditation = 20 Battle Focus
    2. 1 SR = 10 Battle Focus
    3. 1 HCI = 1 battle skill (swords, wrestling, etc) (offense)
    4. 1 DCI = 1 battle skill (defense)
    5. 1 DCI = 4 Parry (shield)
    6. 1 DCI = 8 Parry (2-handed weap, no shield or Bushido)
    7. 1 DI = 1 Tactics = 2 Anatomy = 5 Lumberjacking (with axe)
    8. 3 SDI = 1 Eval
    9. 1 SDI = 10 Inscription

This is just off the top of my head, so I may be wrong.
    1. true
    2. true
    3. false
    4. false
    5. false
    6. false
    7. false, false, true. 1 tactics = roughly 7 DI. 2 Anat = roughly 5 DI. 5 LJ =  1 DI.
    8. not sure
    9. not sure but sounds right

For #7.
    120 Tactics then (120/1.6) + 6.25 = 81.25
    120 Anatomy then (120/2) +5 = 65

1 Tactics then (1/1.6) + 6.25 = 6.875
    1 Anatomy then (1/2) + 5 = 5.5

• RockRock Posts: 567
    Thank you, @Maximus_Neximus . Does anyone know what the correct equivalencies are?
  • Rock said:
    Thank you, @ Maximus_Neximus . Does anyone know what the correct equivalencies are?

3-6 I think I initially misunderstood. You don't mean the HCI/DCI property, which is what I responded to. I don't know if I've never heard the numbers behind this. I just always went with max weapon skill and adjusted parry for template. If I had to guess for offensive battle skill, there's just a skill check and an RNG roll weighted for skill differences.The parry formula is posted elsewhere I believe.

8. ((evaluating intelligence * 3) / 100) + 1 --> So 1 EI would be ((1*3)/100) + 1 = 1.03
    Using that, 120 EI would be 4.6. While it doesn't look like a big difference, EI is calculated first and is multiplied by a spell's base damage.
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    edited May 2020
    @Maximus_Neximus Actually for 3-6 I did mean Hit Chance Increase and Defense Chance Increase, which I believe are the two capabilities inherent in weapon skills.  I've learned to think of Tactics as "more damage" and swords (et al) as "likelihood to hit" plus "likelihood to be missed" by non-magical attacks.  Isn't that the same capability as HCI and DCI?

Concerning your second paragraph covering EI, it is my understanding that many of the math mechanics are based on 1000, not 100.  When the game was initially designed, I thought a lot of the math was integer based, because there was at the time a large overhead for doing floating point math.  So I am constantly confused by the *10 or *100 multipliers, not knowing if they are simply an integer math factor.
  • Rock said:
    @ Maximus_Neximus Actually for 3-6 I did mean Hit Chance Increase and Defense Chance Increase, which I believe are the two capabilities inherent in weapon skills.  I've learned to think of Tactics as "more damage" and swords (et al) as "likelihood to hit" plus "likelihood to be missed" by non-magical attacks.  Isn't that the same capability as HCI and DCI?

Concerning your second paragraph covering EI, it is my understanding that many of the math mechanics are based on 1000, not 100.  When the game was initially designed, I thought a lot of the math was integer based, because there was at the time a large overhead for doing floating point math.  So I am constantly confused by the *10 or *100 multipliers, not knowing if they are simply an integer math factor.
    You're correct in that tactics is more damage and swords is likelihood to hit. As I said, I think there's just a skill check for swords and an RNG roll weighted for skill differences when it comes to connecting on hits vs misses. This does not influence the HCI or DCI caps of 45 in any way.

As for EI, I got that formula from another site. However, the formula I included for Anatomy and Tactics was given by former dev Logrus. He was an active dev at the time so I trust the formula to be true. This assumes of courses that there hasn't been a stealth change since his departure. Considering those use floating points, I think it's safe to assume other skill formulas do too.