VETERINARY : Does any Tamer "really" use this skill much other then for ressing pets (if even...) ?

2»

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    edited May 2020
    Theo said:
    Pawain said:
    So you want vet to work from many tiles away.

As usual you want to change UO because you find something difficult or inconvenient.  You don't know the res potions don't always work and you don't know that vet at 120 gives you a stable slot.
     But you want to the devs to change how vet works so you can stand 4 tiles away or be hidden while vetting your pet...
    Ha ha. Exactly.   Every Popps post is about how this game is too hard.   It never occurred to him that these monsters were given area effect so it wasn't so stupid easy for a tamer to just stand next to their pet with a paperweight on their keyboard and eat cheetoes while their pet killed something with no risk.  There is a REASON high end monsters have area effects.   Lets not undo it.  

You also have to stand near someone to use healing on them. Where is the nerf cry for that?
    I beg your Pardon but, if everything is fine and dandy with Veterinary as it is, then, how come that, at least as I can tell from watching other Tamers, a rather large number of them do NOT have Veterinary on their Tamer's Template on a regular basis but use other ways to heal, cure or resurrect their pet ?

THIS is my argument...... I start from seeing something, that is, that Tamers seem to me, for the largest part, to NOT want to invest skill points in Veterinary on their Template and use other ways, instead, to get what Veterinary is supposed to provide (heal, cure, resurrecting) and by that noting, I am forced to conclude that then, one would imagine, there does might be issues with Veterinary as it is and works, if many Tamers in UO have chosen to do without it on their tamer.....

Which it then leads to the following step which it is, that therefore the Veterinary skill needs to be changed and bettered in order for players to then actually want to use it and have it on their Template on a regular, stable and persistent case alongside with the Animal Taming and Animal Lore skills rather then having the Veterinary skill stay put on a Soulstone and be only occationally loaded on the template when a pet needs to be resurrected or the Stables be accessed to swap a pet ?
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    @popps Do you even play a tamer???
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    edited May 2020
    jelinidas said:
    With all the bugs and things wrong with the game Popps, is this really what you want the Dev team working on?? There is nothing broken here! To be honest, I didn't read half of what you said because you are way to long winded with dribble as usual. Make your point and hit post comment! 

Now if the Devs want to look at anything taming...Bonded Pets should NEVER go wild. If loyalty is that low, they should just stand there and not listen, not move and not fight until fed. Now that is a taming topic I could get behind.  (See Popps, one paragraph to make my point)
    You want a 1 Paragraph point to be made ?

No problem.

Issue.

Considering how few Tamers apparently have on their Template the Veterinary skill and actively use it on a regular basis, there look to be issues with this skill if many Tamers in UO choose not to use it on a regular basis for their Hunts, can the Devs please look into it and make it more appealing so that UO Tamers will then want to use it ? Thanks.

Done.
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    popps said:

Issue.

Considering how few Tamers apparently have on their Template the Veterinary skill and actively use it on a regular basis, there look to be issues with this skill if many Tamers in UO choose not to use it on a regular basis for their Hunts, can the Devs please look into it and make it more appealing so that UO Tamers will then want to use it ? Thanks.

Couldn't you make this argument for any skill?  I run archers with no Bushido, am I playing them wrong?? Some of my mages have no Meditation! Is it broken?!? I have a swordsman with no parry, Holy crap, parry must be off!  Vet is NOT broken! It is what it is. Use it or not, its your game.

My necro tamer has magery, but no eval. So I don't use magery for offense. Broken or my playstyle? 

Move on...
    edited May 2020
    jelinidas said:
    popps said:

Issue.

Couldn't you make this argument for any skill?  I run archers with no Bushido, am I playing them wrong?? Some of my mages have no Meditation! Is it broken?!? I have a swordsman with no parry, Holy crap, parry must be off!  Vet is NOT broken! It is what it is. Use it or not, its your game.

My necro tamer has magery, but no eval. So I don't use magery for offense. Broken or my playstyle? 

Move on...
    How's that saying ? "A walnut alone in a bag, makes no noise......"

My point being, that with Tamers in UO what is disturbing is, apparently, to my perception, the relevant number of Tamers in Ultima Online who have chosen, for one reason or another, to do without using the Veterinary skill on their Template on a regular basis and, for the most part, have it on a Soulstone and only pick it up occasionally and rarely to res a pet or to swap pets in and out of Stables....

If many Tamers do not want to invest skill points in Veterinary on their Template, not just a few among them, this should lead one to think that, consequentially, there likely are issues with Veterinary as a skill the way it works now and what it gives for its investment of 120.0 skill points to have on a Template all the time, on a regular basis....

That is the noise that I can hear, when I see so many Tamers not using the Veterinary skill on a regular basis during their Taming Hunts....

Having "something else" in place of the Veterinary skill because it "works better" is what looks dead wrong to me here, and should not be, if this was the case....

Veterinary is part of the Taming skill set and it should be having the Veterinary skill on a Template that should provide the "most bang for the buck"to a Tamer in Ultima Online, not having on a Taming Template something else that is not related to Taming....

Do not get me wrong, players can indeed make their Template as hybrids as they may want, I am just saying that skills intended for a skill set should be given for that purpose the MOST advantage and bonus as compared to any other alternative.

That is at least how I see it.
  • BeccaBecca Posts: 16
    Popps , have you asked every tamer on every shard if they use vet, If the answer is no then you do not know how many do or don't.
      you want to vet from further distance , does that mean you throw the bandages at the pet and hope they land on the right spot. 
     I have always used vet on my pets.  I stand next to them and bandage them.  sometimes with area  affect i still stand there and heal pet with vet while casting heal on myself. If sometimes the area affect is faster than my healing I will back off and heal it with magery.
    So for you to say tamers do not use vet is wrong.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited May 2020
    When you do not a have complimentary skill you lose what that skill does.  If you do not have Vet you can not heal your pet with bandages. You can not res your pet. You lose a stable slot.

@jelinidas explained it to you.  My Tamer/Archer does not Vet or Anatomy.  Therefore I lose the benefits of those.  

Some magic users choose not to have Meditation.  They do not regen mana very fast.
    Some mages do not have eval.

The skills are there for us to use as needed.  We do not have to be cookie cutters.  We get to decide what we want to use and have to deal with the consequences.

There are no right or wrong skills to choose sometimes.

The less the Devs decide what skills we need the better.

Bards have to have 4 skills at 120 real skill to reap the rewards. That needs changed.  We should just need Music and Discord to run the Discord Masteries.

And as stated, the devs should be working on new pet types and making Bonded pets not go wild. Not wondering why players are not using Vet.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    IMHO The question has been asked by a supposed Tamer and has been answered by many REAL Tamers so this thread can now be locked as asked and answered.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I can't talk Kyronix into giving a mount a much deserved follower rating, which would take all of 10 seconds to do code wize, but you want him to log in and do a search for all tamers and see who's got 120 Vet ? Did you seriously just ask and expect that to happen ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    I have and use 120 vet and also like 
    @Garth_Grey want grizzled mare to go 5 slot 
    @Kyronix @Bleak please 
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited May 2020
    All of my Tamers have at least GM Vet. Vet+Spells (Greater Heal, Cleansing Winds, Gift of Renewal) can be combined together for some very powerful burst heals. When fighting strong opponents, i routinely begin applying a bandage, then casting Greater Heal, and they both hit my pet at the same time for big heals. There are some foes that i stand at range and rely on Greater Heal due to how often they AoE, and there's other foes (such as Virtuebane) that i'll vet heal, and back away when they're about to AoE, then there's foes that i always stand within 2 tiles of my pet to vet heal. It's all about knowing what you're fighting, and adjusting your tactics to it.

At GM Vet+120 Lore on a 600 Health pet, i heal for 53-90 with a single bandage in 2 seconds. At 120 Vet+120 Lore, that's 57-100. A single bandage can be equivalent to 2 Greater Heals at the high end. Combine that with a Greater Heal at GM Magery, and that's 94-150 Health in 2 seconds. That's double to triple the healing that Greater Heal alone would do.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 169
    jelinidas said:
    popps said:

Issue.

Move on...

Amen brotha'.   
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    I have 6 tamers, all have vet on their template.  They all also have weaving on them as well as magery.  

The only addition that vet chould have is that pets resurrect with full hitpoints at 120 vet, lesser points the lower the vet skill.  That would be nice and a better addition to the vet skill if you want to 'add' something or change it.  Perhaps the amount a bandage heals should be increased a bit too, given you seem to get 4 points of heal for an aid or a spell.  8 points on a bandaid would be nice.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    OI VEY !!!! 
    Popps get a hobby and leave the skills balance to the pro's.
    To the rest of you who think his idea is worth salt just remember how long you have sat at the bank/stable looking for a Rez cause the timer for the stable vet to do it is still running... when one of the full tamers comes alone and tosses a aid on the pet and walks off with a nod to you as your pet is back to normal life.  Yes is has a use and I do stand under my GD and toss aids on him and yes I do die  but that is the game.  You take risks. Yes I have used magic and aids together.
    A player calls out for a rez for his pet I do make it a point to go se if I can be of assistance. I have done this from the very beginning of starting taming.. I guess you need to be a real tamer to understand this. 
    I have done this for nearly 23 years in UO  
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I'm starting to think popps is troll supreme and has some vegas style betting going on with other trolls to see how long he can ramble on in a post and people still read it and respond. I think I just made popps $5 - you welcome popps!
    Pawain said:
    When you do not a have complimentary skill you lose what that skill does.  If you do not have Vet you can not heal your pet with bandages. You can not res your pet. You lose a stable slot.

If there was no other way to heal pets in the game, or to resurrect pets, or to get extra stable slots then I could agree that players not using the Veterinary skill would be making this choice at their loss since they would not be able to heal or cure pets, nor be able to resurrect a pet nor be able to have extra slots.

But as it is that a Tamer can well do without the Veterinary skill (and not have to host on their template those 120.0 points which can be used in something else, more beneficial, since they CAN have alternatives to get what Veterinary gives in other ways ?) ?

Then no, I see this as a problem with the problem being that the skill Veterinary, over time, since alternatives have been given to it to Tamers, has lost its appeal and usefullness to Tamers so much, that many Tamers do not actively use it and leave it on a Soulstone for the most part, only picking it up occasionally, whether to resurrect a pet or to swap pets in and out of their Stables...

And as stated, the devs should be working on new pet types and making Bonded pets not go wild. Not wondering why players are not using Vet.
    Absolutely, and I never said otherwise. There surely are important things to address in regards to Taming as those you are pointing out, nonetheless, I think, the issue of Tamers in Ultima Online not actively using Veterinary on their Template to seems looks an important one which should likewise be addressed.

And I said it, it is my perception from looking at Tamers around on various prodo Shards, included Atlantic that has many of them.

I am not saying that I am stating an absolute fact, only indicating that I have such a perception that Tamers, for the most part, are not using Veterinary as a skill, actively and on a regular basis, on their Template and indicating that, should this be a fact, this would indicate an issue with this skill that would hint that it is being neglected because players feel it is not as usefull to them as other skills might be on their Tamers Template.

In such a case, which I imagine the Developers might have the tools to verify by actually looking at active and playing Taming characters in Ultima Online (I imagine that the Developers can see which accounts regularly log in and play a Tamer and whether that Tamer template only has Animal Taming/Lore on it or also Veterinary on the Template, not sitting on a Soulstone somewhere...), if my perception was to be found as a fast, and seen that too few Tamers actually actively and regularly play with the Veterinary skill on their Template, well, then what else could this hint to if not that Veterinary is "not delivering" to Tamers in terms of what it does and has to offer to them ?

And if so, shouldn't this then mean that this skill would need to be changed and be "buffed up" in order to make it more appealing to Tamers so that they would actually want to use it in their Template rather then instead using "something else" to get what Veterinary was supposed to give to them ?

At least, that is the way I see it.

Popps, I now just look at the length of your post and decide not even to bother to read. The bad thing is, someday you are going to come up with a really good idea or problem and nobody will be there to help you. Less dribble, one or two paragraphs. You are your own worst enemy. 
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    No one is compelled to read or respond to any given post. 
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 884
    edited May 2020
    Popps,
     just play the game your way and keep your nose out of others. It does NOT affect you in anyway if tamers don't have 120 vet. And with the current situation you may influence this Dev team and have them  nerf the crap out of taming and screw up everyone else. So do us all a favour, well two actually, don't write war and peace for every subject and STOP interfering with other people gameplay
    I have 4 tamers all with 85 vet skill, and I don't want this cocked up because you don't like it
    Cu's and Tritons are pretty good at healing themselves. Maybe YOU need to modernise your gameplay. But like I said above, its NONE of your business what others do. its legal, well within the rules. so keep the snout out before the nerf gun comes out.  100% down to YOU if it does.  Move on, close thread. nothing more to discuss here
    edited May 2020
    Popps,
     just play the game your way and keep your nose out of others. It does NOT affect you in anyway if tamers don't have 120 vet. And with the current situation you may influence this Dev team and have them  nerf the crap out of taming and screw up everyone else. So do us all a favour, well two actually, don't write war and peace for every subject and STOP interfering with other people gameplay
    Honestly, I do not see in what way it would make your Taming gameplay less enjoyable if the Developers were to make the Veterinary skill more appealing and usefull so that more Tamers were to want to use it...

I am not suggesting for the Developers to "force" Tamers to add the Veterinary skill to a Tamer's Template in order to be able to control a pet or anything of that likes, I am suggesting to make changes to the Veterinary skill so that Tamers would actually want to add that skill to their Template more then what it happens now.

Frankly, I do not see how this would affect any Tamer who do not want to pick up Veterinary on their Template.... sure, they would miss on whatever abilities and bonuses a revamped Veterinary skill would bring to them but its their choice, if they were to still want to play their Tamer without Veterinary on their Template that would be their choice...

And in regards to whomever thought "weird" to see a "ranged" healing/cure to Veterinary as the idea of throwing bandages at the pet from a distance might look ackward, well, this is a Fantasy game were everything is a tad strange if we want to get picky at that...

Perhaps it could be justified with a "bond" that the Tamer having Veterinary skill is enabled to build with the pet thus enabling the Tamer to heal and cure the pet from a distance using the Veterinary skill ?

And the higher the Veterinary skill, the higher the range that healing and cure could be applied to a pet through the Veterinary skill....

It is just an idea among many that could be proposed to make the Veterinary skill more usefull and more wanted to be had on their Template by Tamers....

All I am saying, is that I think that the Veterinary skill needs some love to prompt more Tamers to be more willing to add it on their Template and use it on a regular basis....
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited May 2020
    @popps I ask AGAIN! Do you even play a tamer????????????????????????
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    Rorschach said:
    I was actually trying to help him by telling him to be "less wordy". But thank you for those fine words of wisdom...
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,211
    Rorschach said:
    And risk the chance that the DEVs would think the Tamer player base thinks this is a good idea because we kept or mouths shut, in a nut shell NO WAY TYVM
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I have carefully read this thread. Of the 17 players who have responded the number in agreement with this suggestion is zero.
    The replies are also becoming more heated and less respectful. I have therefore decided to lock it.
This discussion has been closed.