Feature Request: Pet Dyes!

KelanorKelanor Posts: 9
edited April 2020 in General Discussions
I used to see it alot on player run servers back in the day. Would love to see it in an official capacity on live servers. Would easily dump real money to company for pet dyes. Blue reptalons, green dragons, etc.
  1. Would you like pet dyes added to game?13 votes
    1. Yes
      30.77%
    2. No
      69.23%

Comments

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    I can say pretty firmly, that this isn't something we would introduce.  We would, however, be open to suggestions for future creatures to add to rare colored pet spawns.  We've done this in the past with other creatures once we've had a chance to polish the model for partial hueing.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    edited April 2020
    @Kyronix any chance that the retouched Ethereal Cu's could be a different color... such as agapite?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Kyronix said:
    I can say pretty firmly, that this isn't something we would introduce.  We would, however, be open to suggestions for future creatures to add to rare colored pet spawns.  We've done this in the past with other creatures once we've had a chance to polish the model for partial hueing.
    Come on.  Who would not want a florescent pink CU? :)
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Tritons please 

I'm getting tried trying to keep track on which one is mine.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited April 2020
    Kyronix said:

A mountable pet the size of a horse but not the horse model. Make it start like a Triton and go to 5 slot.  Split damage between 2 elements, no physical damage. Make it come in 15 or so Hues.

A "insert name" steed that has different color mane and tail corresponding to its 100% damage type.  No magery no dragon breath.  Make it the same start stats as a Lesser Hiryu and can get all Magics that are not necro or magery.

Push me Pull you pet that does 100% fire damage 100% cold damage. It spins randomly. One head does the Fire damage, the other does the cold.  Starts like a Lesser Hiryu above. Has pre installed decorative barding that has 5 different styles and colors.

A viable necro pet.  Looks like something evil and will start like a Ram but be at 1 slot with those values.  Comes in 10 evil hues.  Would have to fix necro spells for this.

I have many more.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Make purple rabbits go to 5 slots 
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    Welp Kyronix  said it so you got your answer   NO   but a rare pet maybe....
  • Kyronix said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a Verite colored Cu Sidhe. We have Dull Copper, Copper, Bronze, Agapite, Valorite, Blue, Pink, Rum Red, Shadow Dancer Black, Luna White, and Blaze color Cus, but no variation of Green nor Purple.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    In general, it would be cool / somewhat realistic if creatures that spawned could occasionally have different coloring. I think rare color spawns are more interesting than pet dyes. 
  • GlorfindelGlorfindel Posts: 36
    Why such a hardline stance on this @Kyronix ? Seems odd.  I would love to see new shades of mare colors. A darker red a darker blue ect 
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    @Glorfindel - In the time that I've spent following UO as a player, EM, and Dev not one single issue has caused such an enormous amount of controversy than the idea of pet dyes.  I wasn't on the team when they were first suggested, but the criticism was sharp, and I think for good reason.  Many of the models simply do not lend themselves to hueing very well.  You also start to fuzzy the lines between what is realistically possible.  Of course we live in a world of magic, but there is something to be said for adhering to what we consider familiar natural occurrences.  

Being able to target specific creatures for polish so they look good and introducing them in rare spawns has been a much better approach.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Since you're open to more pet changes, how about bumping the Grizzled Mare to a 5 slot pet ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • As long as I've played (since 2009), I've always said I want just three things in the game to make me happy:

1. Fey slayer instruments (check)
    2. All virtues activated (check)
    3. A purple cu sidhe - preferably like a violet courage hue, but I'll be happy with just about anything

A special title for being Knight in all virtues would be REALLY cool, such as the Virtuous, of the Virtues etc., but I want #3 far more :)
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    I’m with @Garth_Grey

@Kyronix can you allow grizzled mare go to 5 slots and maybe adjust / fix necro on pets 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Kyronix said:
    @ Glorfindel - In the time that I've spent following UO as a player, EM, and Dev not one single issue has caused such an enormous amount of controversy than the idea of pet dyes.  I wasn't on the team when they were first suggested, but the criticism was sharp, and I think for good reason.  Many of the models simply do not lend themselves to hueing very well.  You also start to fuzzy the lines between what is realistically possible.  Of course we live in a world of magic, but there is something to be said for adhering to what we consider familiar natural occurrences.  

Being able to target specific creatures for polish so they look good and introducing them in rare spawns has been a much better approach.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
    I am going to call you out on this one because I know of a bigger one than pet dyes.  A Pre what ever Fel only shard.  You couldn't get two players to agree what a pre Tram shard should have on it because everybody wanted all their specials added and they wanted Insurance, LOL and Power Scrolls and LEET Gear and and and and and and the list went on and on.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    back in 2000 I went searching for the silver mare only to be told later they did not exist, I saw one on LS at the Zoo this year and I still want to tame one and train it to a five slot, bring that back, let us have that
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Kyronix said:
    @ Glorfindel - In the time that I've spent following UO as a player, EM, and Dev not one single issue has caused such an enormous amount of controversy than the idea of pet dyes.  I wasn't on the team when they were first suggested, but the criticism was sharp, and I think for good reason.  Many of the models simply do not lend themselves to hueing very well.  You also start to fuzzy the lines between what is realistically possible.  Of course we live in a world of magic, but there is something to be said for adhering to what we consider familiar natural occurrences.  

I have to disagree with you on this one. We have the Lasher all rainbowed up and the peacock thing. They look great but if we're speaking about what is realistic, i'm not sure they would fit.

Whoever is doing the art now is so fantastic that i have no doubt great things could be done. 

My last point will aim at the already available dyes for our characters. I'm not sure you can make the argument for realistic while we have characters saturated in some of these dyes. 

I'm all for the rare spawn introduction though as long as we have choices of pets in not only colors but competitive as well. Oh and please increase the slots on these vanity pets to 5. 
    @Urge I love that International Orange dye, it reminds me of the snowmobile suit I had.  Hell if you couldn't see me then you were blind as a bat.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    @ Urge I love that International Orange dye, it reminds me of the snowmobile suit I had.  Hell if you couldn't see me then you were blind as a bat.

I like all the dyes. But it really doesn't make sense to have so many dye choices available for characters and not pets. I'm fairly certain realistic medieval wizardry didn't involve fluorescent green or blaze orange hunting garb.

I'm not saying pets should be available in all these colors but it wouldn't hurt to offer more competitive pet color choices given what we have for character choices. 
  • KelanorKelanor Posts: 9
    edited May 2020
    Since you mentioned that you would be ok with more rare colored spawns. Would you consider a blue or white reptalon rare spawn please. I roleplay a dragon rider (warrior/tamer) and cu sidhe got color love but reptalon got left in the dust. Give our only rideable dragon some love. :)

Edit: Also my friend wanted me to ask if you could make any new rare color spawn for reptalon 2 control slot only. Having only 1% chance to get it and find out it's 3 slot instead of 2 slot would be a serious kick in the nuts when you want to use it for pet training. :wink:

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    I think he said they might make colors for NEW pet types.  They wont add colors to existing.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Picking out a couple of points from Kyronix's post:
    Many of the models simply do not lend themselves to hueing very well.  You also start to fuzzy the lines between what is realistically possible.  

Being able to target specific creatures for polish so they look good and introducing them in rare spawns has been a much better approach.
    So new colors will be dependent on which creatures can be polished in this way, and of course the artist's time to be able to do so.

I see no reason why a request for a specific pet could not be submitted, but don't shout at me if for some reason it isn't, or can't be, done.

• KelanorKelanor Posts: 9
    Is this the proper place to place such a request? Where would i submit a proper request for specific pet dyes like reptalons or something similar to see if they're eligible for polishing and new colors?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    it wouldn't be dyes. It would be new spawning creatures, in the same way as the ones in publish 97
    The following pets now have a chance to spawn in rare hues,
    • Snow Leopard
    • Frost Spider
    • Nightmare
    • White Wyrm
    • Giant Toad
    You would be asking for reptalons to be added to that list. Existing Reptalons would not be affected.
    I want an International Orange Greater Dragon or a Neon Pink will due.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Just scrolling looking for @Kyronix reply that he would consider the Grizzled mare request. I see that again he won't bother responding to it.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.