20th anniversary invasion

The last time this event took place in guardzone.
Could you make one tiny adjustment and turn off guardzone when an invasion takes place in a city?

Comments

• This. Makes it pretty difficult for mages and mystics to participate without summons.
  • and especially on Siege Perilous it makes little sense to let people hunt highend items 100% safe in guardzone
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    The one thing I didn't like about Trinsic, is that some of the Captains would spawn inside the walls. And we would have to page a GM to get them to move them. 
  • ..Aaand it happened all the time.. :o
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited May 2020
    Could you make one tiny adjustment and turn off guardzone when an invasion takes place in a city?
    @Bleak , @Kyronix ; ,

Player Killers can already get their kills off of PvM players (PvM players who, by the way, are BY FAR, to my understanding, the largest players' base and supporters of Ultima Online's subscriptions and thus funding...) easy enough.... they do not need at all further changes to the game to make a Global Event be turned into a players' killing fest....

So, to my viewing, no thanks, Towns should absolutely stay as they are, a Guard zone and let those players who support Ultima Online the most, PvMers that is, be able to enjoy the Event, fully, and not be thwarted in that by pkillers.....

Ultima Online, IMHO, in order to keep having the needed resources to keep going, needs to KEEP its players, not further loose them....

At the 2018 Game Developers Conference (https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024930/Classic-Game-Postmortem-Ultima-Online),I understand, ALL Developers agreed that non-consensual PvP was a mistake (https://massivelyop.com/2018/03/28/gd-2018-ultima-online-post-mortem-with-richard-garriott-starr-long-raph-koster-and-rich-vogel/).

Furthermore, Raph Koster in this live forum https://www.raphkoster.com/games/interviews-and-panels/live-forum-qa-with-raph-koster-1016/ says....
    I do believe in a crime/punishment system. But everything we tried did fall prey to new accounts and killers who just didn’t care. If they have no emotional attachment to losing (e.g., don’t give a shit) then there isn’t any in-game punishment you can offer up. I don’t know if you were around for it, but I tried for a LONG time to get that balance right in SWG. Bounty systems became high score tables. Rewards were claimed by dummy accounts. Most everything we tried became a tool for the bad guys. And the good guys literally had no way to win, because the bad guys could just come back the next day, over and over, and just wear your spirit down.
    And also...
    I do think a modern UO would not succeed with freeform PvP. It might well have PvP in it, but the whole gankfest thing is definitely a thing of the past. I never got to try the Outcasting concept that was proposed for SWG and never implemented, and would still love to see it tried (if you PK someone, they can report you to fellow players, along with a log of the event. If you are convicted, your right to PvP is permanently revoked). But even that, in these days of easy account creation on F2P games, maybe wouldn’t work. Bad guys would just make new accounts.
    To me the essence of sandboxiness that was in UO and SWG is not about the PKing. It is about a simulated world, a functioning economy, a low power difference between high and low level players, and a system that doesn’t push you into combat as the only way to play the game (or even classes).

Personally, that is a point of view which I agree with.

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    popps said:
    @ Bleak , @ Kyronix  ,

Player Killers can already get their kills off of PvM players (PvM players who, by the way, are BY FAR, to my understanding, the largest players' base and supporters of Ultima Online's subscriptions and thus funding...) easy enough.... they do not need at all further changes to the game to make a Global Event be turned into a players' killing fest....

So, to my viewing, no thanks, Towns should absolutely stay as they are, a Guard zone and let those players who support Ultima Online the most, PvMers that is, be able to enjoy the Event, fully, and not be thwarted in that by pkillers.....

Ultima Online, IMHO, in order to keep having the needed resources to keep going, needs to KEEP its players, not further loose them....

At the 2018 Game Developers Conference (https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024930/Classic-Game-Postmortem-Ultima-Online),I understand, ALL Developers agreed that non-consensual PvP was a mistake (https://massivelyop.com/2018/03/28/gd-2018-ultima-online-post-mortem-with-richard-garriott-starr-long-raph-koster-and-rich-vogel/).

You do understand that he is not talking about FEL.  In TRAM casters are unable to cast spell while in town also known as a guard zone.  Please learn how to play the game before going off on you BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH posts.
    edited May 2020
    You do understand that he is not talking about FEL.  In TRAM casters are unable to cast spell while in town also known as a guard zone.  Please learn how to play the game before going off on you BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH posts.
    It does not matter.

There is Guard zone, and there needs to stay Guard zone, to my opinion, or, otherwise, it would turn an area that was not meant for PvP (hence the Guard zone....) into a PvP ganking fest environment to the detriment of PvM players, the grandest majority of those supporting Ultima Online maintainance and upkeep needs with their subscriptions.....

Again, I need to point out that, at the 2018 Game Developers  Conference as indicated by the Links in the Post above, to my understanding all of Ultima Online past Developers agreed that non-consensual PvP was a mistake.

So, a Guard zone is meant to be a zone NOT meant for PvP where players who do NOT want to PvP can go to, for whatever their needs might be from doing BODs, to buying from NPCs, to training their crafters, whatever. Turning it off would be to the detriment of PvMers, the grandest majority of Ultima Online players who, with their subscriptions greatly contribute to the upkeep and needed resources to get Ultima Online going.

Did I forget to mention that at the 2018 Game Developers  Conference as indicated by the Links in the Post above, to my understanding, all of Ultima Online past Developers agreed that non-consensual PvP was a mistake?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Please remember that this is an unplanned extra activity because of world events. Like the Treasures of Tokuno event it will simply be switched on. No adjustments will be made, no bugs with the event that come about because of more recent changes to the game will be corrected (unless game breaking) The team are working on the future, not the past.
    Thanks @Mariah for the clarification.

Nothing to further discuss here, I guess.....
  • Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    edited May 2020
    if guardzone is removed in Trammel that doesn't mean there will be non-consensual PvP simply because youcan't PvP in Trammel. So all your crying about non-consensual PvP is missing the entire point.

On Siege Perilous, an entire shard built around the concept of non-consensual PvP, turning off the guardzone would allow for non-consensual PvP as it should since the shard was created around that concept in the first place.
    Siege Perilous is actually one of the more active shards, not as active as ATL but still pretty active and it has a large community of PvMers, which kinda shows that your point is nothing but a wrong assumption.

You don't play on Siege I suppose, so what do you care if they deactivate guardzone when an invasion takes place? It won't affect you on prodo shards and since you don't play Siege it won't affect you there either.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    @Max_Blackoak ; BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT it is popps he does not understand that this is a TRAM event.
    edited May 2020
    if guardzone is removed in Trammel that doesn't mean there will be non-consensual PvP simply because youcan't PvP in Trammel. So all your crying about non-consensual PvP is missing the entire point.

On Siege Perilous, an entire shard built around the concept of non-consensual PvP, turning off the guardzone would allow for non-consensual PvP as it should since the shard was created around that concept in the first place.
    Siege Perilous is actually one of the more active shards, not as active as ATL but still pretty active and it has a large community of PvMers, which kinda shows that your point is nothing but a wrong assumption.

You don't play on Siege I suppose, so what do you care if they deactivate guardzone when an invasion takes place? It won't affect you on prodo shards and since you don't play Siege it won't affect you there either.
    I may not play Siege, but I do go to Felucca on prodo Shards on occasions for a number of things be them BODs, their bribing or other things.

The point is not about whether or not Siege was created as a non-consensual PvP Shard because we all know it was as Felucca on prodo Shards was.

YET, whether Felucca on Prodo Shards or Siege, they STILL were given Towns with Guard zones to provide, even within the Felucca ruleset, a safe haven to those going there but still, not liking or wanting to engage in PvP.

Turning Guard zones off would be a disservice to all of these PvM players who are a significant number and great supporters of the well being of Ultima Online as providers of much needed resources for its upkeep and maintainance with their subscriptions.

I understand that players who PvP might want to always get extra chances at a kill yet, I think they have plenty opportunities already in the vastity of what the Felucca ruleset lands have to offer, be it Felucca on prodo Shards or Siege as a whole. I do not see the need to have "also" the Guard zones in the Towns in this ruleset areas, be turned off thus voiding that one only safe haven that PvMers might have in that rulest Areas....

But, as @Mariah kindly informed us, the point is moot to further discuss because I understand that the Event will be turned on as it was last time, with no further changes or modifications....
    I am only repeating what @Kyronix has already posted. Twice.
    To avoid further temptation towards trolling, I will clarify.
    When events happen in guardzones magic casters are at a disadvantage because certain spells cannot be cast, most significantly, summoned creatures.
    And now I think the best thing to do here is to lock the thread.
This discussion has been closed.