Crafting/Imbuing- bug or working as intended

When you craft an item, and get a high number of exceptional bonus into one area, the game will count that as imbued and take up an imbuing slot. Especially with the Anvil of Artifacts coming out, I was wonder if this was a bug or working as intended. For example- today I crafted a Woodland chest piece (remaking armor for my sampire) crafting a piece with 14 Cold---and I had forgotten about that tidbit. I had always assumed it was intentional. And was wondering. If I remember correctly (and it's been a while, coming back to the game after 5+ years) it was anything over like 11?

Comments

• King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    This only happens when you reforge and is 100% Intentional and annoying. 

Say you craft an exceptional studded piece with 14 Cold, and then you reforge and it happens to reroll +11 Cold resist from the minimum as one of the mods, which gets you 14 cold. So same piece but now 2 mods. 
  • NuSairNuSair Posts: 8
    Yeah, if intended, it really shouldn't work that way...... nothing was imbued. Just because it hits X threshold, it's all crafted bonus.... not imbued at all. 

I remember it from a long time ago- I don't remember if it was announced as an intentional thing (or just misguided coding). Either way, with the Anvil coming out, probably should be changed or something added so the Anvil flags it and let the player know beforehand crafting in that way with most of the exceptional bonus going to one resist is going to count as an imbue slot. 

That will affect my choice on whether to purchase it or not. In coming back the Anvil really excited me, as I make a lot of armor. Spent days crafting to get one or 2 pieces with just the right resist. If you can't go above X.... I'd rather craft it and take my chances than spend $$$. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Are you using plain wood or another type?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    yes, plain wood. Craft plain wood- reforge- pof- enhance is how I do it. This is after crafting, then using reforge to add HCI or DI to armor piece. But, it doesn't matter what your adding as long as the resist is high enough. And to answer possible question- no- I am not reforging for resist.
    You'd have to give us an example. The mods you gain from enhancing do count towards imbuing cap/weight. 

Also even rolling HCI with a runic, you can get resists on the reforge depending on the runic you are using. 
    edited April 2020
    So a single resist got a value over what the system calls normal.  Therefor it counts as an imbue.  That is no fun.  That would also make the tool count it as high since you can add it to one resist.  Can't test the tools anymore.
    edited April 2020
    King_Greg said:
    You'd have to give us an example. The mods you gain from enhancing do count towards imbuing cap/weight. 

Also even rolling HCI with a runic, you can get resists on the reforge depending on the runic you are using. 
    Why an example? ..... and I've made more than a few of these... but, here:
    I crafted a Woodland Chest 
    resist 6 8 14 8 9
    Oak saw > Powerful > Grand Artifice > Inspired Artifice (4 charges) (of slaughter)
    HCI 5

And I had a similar chest get HCI 5, no other abilities, and all it's resist were 9 or below

and to further test crafted ringmail gloves,
    resist 11 3 7 9 5
    copper hammer, using 1 charge 
    Str 1  HPI 6 
    Go into imbuing: says 3 properties used

NuSair said:
    Why an example? ..... and I've made more than a few of these... but, here:
    I crafted a Woodland Chest 
    resist 6 8 14 8 9
    Oak saw > Powerful > Grand Artifice > Inspired Artifice (4 charges) (of slaughter)
    HCI 5

And I had a similar chest get HCI 5, no other abilities, and all it's resist were 9 or below

resist 11 3 7 9 5
    Str 1  HPI 6 

This is the reason why I needed an example. 

Resist 6 8 14 8 9 
    Total Resists = 45 

Exceptional woodland armor crafted from regular wood only has 35 total resists. So your reforge added the cold resist. Before reforge it should of looked like this 
    6 8 4 8 9 

You can show me the rest of the pieces and I can explain what happened. But yes, this is a miserable, terrible part of reforging. 

edited April 2020
    I was wondering how he got 14 resist on one of the resists. I have never made wooden armor before.

Depending on what level tool you use and the roll, when  you choose one thing, you can get another property added on. And it counts towards imbue and weight.
    edited April 2020
    Still doesn't chance the fact of this piece
    resist 11 3 7 9 5
    Str 1  HPI 6 
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    I can't say I've noticed this issue but I suggest checking how many imbuing properties an item has before reforging.
    NuSair said:
    Still doesn't chance the fact of this piece
    resist 11 3 7 9 5
    Str 1  HPI 6 
    If the resists are 11/3/7/9/5 still after reforge then chances are you rolled 
    Strength +1 
    HPI +6 
    Physical Resist + 8 

Which gave you 11 Physical resist as a mod, even though you already had it. 

It's just like if you crafted a blank piece with 11/3/7/9/5 And imbued it with 11 physical resist. Same exact piece, but now it's 1/5 mods and 53/500 Weight. 
    On one charge?
    I dont know if there is a direct transfer from just crafting with the tool to Reforging with it.  But I think there is.  I just use Barbed Kits and you get 4 to 5 properties.

Copper Hammer can give 2 to 3 properties:

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/runic-bonuses/
    Yup, really the # of charges doesn't change the # of mods. Only increase intensities and get more focused results. 
    edited April 2020
    Even if you choose just 1 Reforge Prefix, you sometimes get "Lucky" and it adds 2.

You got Mighty which gave you HP and Str. With an added of Defense (the game chose this).  So you hit the jackpot and got 2 prefixes and 3  Mods. Even tho you did not want it to roll that way.

I can read this chart easier:
    http://www.uoguide.com/Runic_Re-Forging
    Also:
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/imbuing/runic-reforging/
    edited April 2020
    I avoid that kind of randomness and reforge with the highest tool and always choose my two properties. Still have to deal with the randomness within the two categories.

I buy 100% elemental weapons from others who like to use a bunch of charges till they get exactly what they want.  Your reforging is like trying for Luck or 100% elemental damage only.  It takes a bunch of tries.  And that is why the store tool should add the resists at the end of the process.
    Pawain said:
     And that is why the store tool should add the resists at the end of the process.
    I like this actually. Or make it recharge over time. Or make it a bod reward with a decent # of charges like ancient smith hammers. But paying for 15 charges? I'd sooner burn 1,000,000 leather.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    King_Greg said:
    Pawain said:
     And that is why the store tool should add the resists at the end of the process.
    I like this actually. Or make it recharge over time. Or make it a bod reward with a decent # of charges like ancient smith hammers. But paying for 15 charges? I'd sooner burn 1,000,000 leather.

happy this game not going to pay to win..let pixel crack pay for deco store items...i dont think any uostore should be la forged metal of artifact needed to imbue i hate when game do shit like that
    So, it's been a minute, sorry, busy with life. So, I made a few hundred plate neck pieces and came up with this gem- resist 18 16 2 3 6. It has not been reforged. When going on the imbue menu, it stats that it already has 2 imbue slots taken up, at a weight of 92/100. Not imbued, not reforged... and taking up imbued slots. 

I'm also heading to test center to test out the idea that you can get 3 properties from 1 charge on a copper hammer, and other runics. 
    NuSair said:
    So, it's been a minute, sorry, busy with life. So, I made a few hundred plate neck pieces and came up with this gem- resist 18 16 2 3 6. It has not been reforged. When going on the imbue menu, it stats that it already has 2 imbue slots taken up, at a weight of 92/100. Not imbued, not reforged... and taking up imbued slots. 

I'm also heading to test center to test out the idea that you can get 3 properties from 1 charge on a copper hammer, and other runics. 
    Literally impossible unless you were using a runic hammer to do the crafting. 

Exceptional plate gorgets have 35 total resists  when crafted with iron ingots. The one you made has 45. If it doesn't say reforged, or imbued on the properties. You had to use a runic to craft it. 

Maybe this is where you are getting confused? When crafting with a runic hammer, even if you aren't reforging, any mods including resists added will count towards the total weight on the piece. 
    Yup.  Thats piece has more resists than an iron exceptional gorget should.  Therefore it has been given "points".

If you reforge that, will the resists stay?
    edited May 2020
    From Previous:
    Grand Artifice: guarantees that the resulting item will have one name, either a prefix or a suffix
    • Inspired Artifice: allows you to choose which name will be added to the item.
    • Exalted Artifice: guarantees that the item will have two names, both a prefix and a suffix
      • Sublime Artifice: allows you to choose a name to be added to the item. You must use both Inspired Artifice and Sublime Artifice in conjunction if you wish to choose both names to add to the item
    ------------------------------------------------------------

If you choose grand and inspired you get the name you chose.  But, depending on the  runic level you can get more than one category, the others will not show the name.

An example. I chose Animated.  I used a Barbed Kit which can get 4 or 5 properties.

Result:
    I got 6 properties. 

The name is just Animated.  I got the 3 properties from Animated. I got 1 property from Of Quality (durability) and 1 property from of Alchemy (Enhance Potions) and 1 property from of Sorcery (Mana Inc).  I got an Animated item of Quality of Alchemy of Sorcery. 

Instead of just choosing 5 things from the Category I wanted, the game chose to split my properties between 4 categories. And thew in a bonus stat.

Same thing can happen with any tool you use.

You will find that Copper hammer can make things with 2 or 3 properties. And split them between 2 or more categories.

I reforged 9 more items. I got 1 more with 6 properties.  The rest had 4 or 5.

Maybe my extra stat is because I chose Powerful.  But I don't recall ever getting an extra stat if I choose the 2 names.

• NuSair said:

No need, can tell you right now it can.  Number of charges have little bearing on the amount of mods.  Rather it denotes a possible range of intensity.  The amount of mods applied will just be a possible sum of intensity in the range that was rolled.

There's a few ways to get around that with some specific mods and names, but its limited.