Game Won't Run Now

2»

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Lets see if Windows 10 thinks it is hung. Start up the enhanced client, start up task manager, click on the Details tab, find uosa.exe, right click on it, select Analyze Wait Chain from the menu. The dialog that pops up should tell you if the program is hung or not.

From the same menu there is an option called Set Affinity. Uncheck all but CPU 0.  That will make the client run on only 1 CPU.
  • CityKittyCityKitty Posts: 69
    Urge said:
    I don't know Jack about EC but I have been getting numerous recommended articles about recent win10 updates breaking some computers. 

Does any other modern game work? I know it works on classic but TBH so does a win94. 

Right now I would look for a restore point prior to when the pain in the buttocks started. 

Other than that I know my registry went bonkers a few times leading me to a complete factory restore.
    yes everything else runs, WoW/Diablo III, Rift, etc. They all switch to a login screen and they did it just fine. I'll give your idea a try.
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes."
    edited April 2020
    TimSt said:
    Lets see if Windows 10 thinks it is hung. Start up the enhanced client, start up task manager, click on the Details tab, find uosa.exe, right click on it, select Analyze Wait Chain from the menu. The dialog that pops up should tell you if the program is hung or not.

From the same menu there is an option called Set Affinity. Uncheck all but CPU 0.  That will make the client run on only 1 CPU.
    Ack! Ok, I do that but it flies by really fast. It's only listed for a split second. I'll keep trying tho.

EDIT: Caught it whew! Just says UOSA is running normally. Nothing anywhere else.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    I can't believe Bleak or Kyronix hasn't weighed in with some ideas.  
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Maybe @Pinco has some ideas too  @Kyronix @Bleak any ideas.
    Yah my thing for today is to sit on Discord and ask in the Pinco room.
    Well, I've been through all the Windows logs and such, checked the registry and just generally, tried to trace the problem but nothing was there by way of warning or such. Wow, everything is just a dead end.
    Are both your computers the same?  Here is a very extreme thought, swap your hard drives to see if the problems moves with the operating system.  Yes I said this is a very extreme move.  What are the chances of backing up the broke system, wiping the hard drive,and reinstalling Windows 10 and UO to see if that helps.  These IMHO are the last (bottom of the barrel) tasks I would consider.
    Extreme indeed but would probably work. First tho, I'm going to try to compare all the files in the windows directory and see if something is wrong there. I think the first is to check by date because if something messed up, it might have changed its date. I think I'll look to see if there's an app that can help with that.
    That is why I said as a last resort 
    That is why I said as a last resort 
    Yep I get it and it may very well come to that. Or maybe I will just copy the whole OS from the other computer, which works fine. Something about this is still nagging me tho. I really feel like I went through this before. I think I'd better go through all my old notes! hehe
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    Have you tried uninstalling your video card and letting it reload its software?
    Have you tried?
    1. Copying the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UOSA.exe" and running the copy?
    2. Copying the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced" and running the UOSA.exe file from the copy of the directory?
    3. Changing the resolution of your display to something smaller?
    4. If your computer has multiple graphic processors have you tried using the other one? My laptop has integrated processor and high performance NVIDIA processor options to choose from when I right click on UOSA.exe.
    Merus said:
    Have you tried uninstalling your video card and letting it reload its software?
    No not yet. Just updated the driver.
    TimSt said:
    Have you tried?
    1. Copying the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UOSA.exe" and running the copy?
    2. Copying the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced" and running the UOSA.exe file from the copy of the directory?
    3. Changing the resolution of your display to something smaller?
    4. If your computer has multiple graphic processors have you tried using the other one? My laptop has integrated processor and high performance NVIDIA processor options to choose from when I right click on UOSA.exe.
    Yes I have done most of that. I have also run system file check and looked through the system logs for errors, as well as the UO error logs. There's just no complaints. Today, I think I might make another user and see if it will run. Everything else runs just fine. It's the page where you would see the treasure chest, which then switches to login screen that's just disappearing.
  • RhayamRhayam Posts: 2
    Wow!  Thanks to be so thorough.  I am having the exact same problem with EC. T_T
    Although CC is working fine.

I too ran into the reddit posting of breaking the "infinite loop" with a debugger for EC to continue loading.

"Broke it in a debugger and discovered it was in a tight infinite loop. I broke it out of the loop and the game finished loading. I'm going to see if I can get a dump to the developers so that they can fix it. I don't know why it happens or why it doesn't happen to other people."

Anyone has an idea how to run such debugger to break the loop so EC finishes loading?

Thank.

@CityKitty any update
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I have a really, really vague memory of something like this coming up before, I've tried to find it, but can't. It might even have been so far back that it was KR rather than SA! 
    I do remember that one tricky bug turned out to be not the video driver as everyone assumed, but the sound driver.  I could be wrong, but everything else has been tried, and it wouldn't hurt to try it?
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Did you try running the File Checker built into the UO Patcher?  It's a check bot in the lower left-hand corner.

It's amazing what doing that can fix. 
    Rhayam said:
    Wow!  Thanks to be so thorough.  I am having the exact same problem with EC. T_T
    Although CC is working fine.

I too ran into the reddit posting of breaking the "infinite loop" with a debugger for EC to continue loading.

"Broke it in a debugger and discovered it was in a tight infinite loop. I broke it out of the loop and the game finished loading. I'm going to see if I can get a dump to the developers so that they can fix it. I don't know why it happens or why it doesn't happen to other people."

Anyone has an idea how to run such debugger to break the loop so EC finishes loading?

Thank.

I have the feeling I did the equivalent when I had to try to grab that option and check it. It was fine.
    @ CityKitty any update
    No, I just got finished talking to a GM in game and they had no idea too.
    I have a really, really vague memory of something like this coming up before, I've tried to find it, but can't. It might even have been so far back that it was KR rather than SA! 
    I do remember that one tricky bug turned out to be not the video driver as everyone assumed, but the sound driver.  I could be wrong, but everything else has been tried, and it wouldn't hurt to try it?
    Good point, let me try changing that.
    Did you try running the File Checker built into the UO Patcher?  It's a check bot in the lower left-hand corner.

It's amazing what doing that can fix. 
    Several times. Even had quite a long conversation with Pinco on Discord server, as I also use that but he had no idea either.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    @CityKitty
    there are a lot of helpful replies in this thread, however perhaps it’s something quite basic that has been skipped. Have you tried running the windows System File Checker? 
    In command prompt, type 
    sfc /scannow
    enter
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Mervyn said:
    @ CityKitty
    there are a lot of helpful replies in this thread, however perhaps it’s something quite basic that has been skipped. Have you tried running the windows System File Checker? 
    In command prompt, type 
    sfc /scannow
    enter
    Yes I did do that and everything was fine. Didn't see any error messages.
    Have you tried reducing the number of CPU cores being used as mentioned in https://forum.uo.com/discussion/6860/regarding-the-problem-with-the-enhanced-client-not-starting
    TimSt said:
    Have you tried reducing the number of CPU cores being used as mentioned in https://forum.uo.com/discussion/6860/regarding-the-problem-with-the-enhanced-client-not-starting
    The computer is only dual core, so I don't know if that would be smart. I also have several other games that have that splash screen prior to loading the login page and they're all fine. Not sure I would want to mess around with this core thing too.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Try the windows10 reset.
    on windows search bar type “recovery options”

under reset this pc:
    get started 

this lets you keep your personal files 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

I fixed it! Yes, I went OMG too!

Thing is, I'm not really clear on how I did it. Anyway, I uninstalled Pinco's, then I uninstalled the classic client and then the enhanced client, all through the remove app menu option, so it seemed to do a clean uninstall. 

I checked the directory to make sure everything was gone. It was, except the enhanced version. It was all intact.

I decided to give it another go and up comes the regular, little black window but this time it doesn't just flash and leave.Then it went to the login screen. I logged in and OMG it worked! Nearly four months of daily trying to fix, it is done!

So I thought I would let you know it's fixed, after all the help you were to me. I wish I could be more specific but all I can think is that there was some kind of incompatibility set up when I had the initial crash.

Thanks everyone for your help and expertise and if this helps someone else, then I'm happy.
    Right here is a much more elegant explanation and I think it is, more or less, what I did to get it back.
    https://forums.uo.com/discussion/6942/enhanced-client-wont-open-today#latest