Game Won't Run Now

CityKittyCityKitty Posts: 69
Greetings!

A couple of days ago, the game just froze on me and I couldn't do anything but reboot. When I did that and tried to get back in, all I got on boot up was a blank window with the name at the top and then it disappeared. No error message at all, just gone.

I have completely removed the game (enhanced version) and reinstalled. I use Pinco's so I removed that as well.

Three attempts now, trying without Pinco's and still getting just the blank window. I happens where it would usually call up that full screen graphic before the log in screen.

The classic version wasn't affected and runs fine.

Any help most appreciated.
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes."

Comments

• Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    Run as admin?
    dunno, sounds really odd, and irritating

• CityKittyCityKitty Posts: 69
    Yes, I'm running as admin. Everything was running just fine until that freeze. Yes, it sure is irritating!
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Have you tried renaming or deleting the user data files under  Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data?
    edited April 2020
    Good idea! I will try that on next install. Thank you!

EDIT: I had such hopes but it was just the same.A half-sized window with the label Ultima Online which only flashes and then nothing.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    anti virus could be blocking it.
    edited April 2020
    Ran fine before with the antivirus but just to be sure, i turned it off and still had the same result. The title bar goes by very fast but I can see stygian abyss on it.Not sure if there's something there I can delete to stop this.

EDIT: I was checking reddit and came across this. I'm not sure exactly how I get UO into debug mode but here's a lead:

"Broke it in a debugger and discovered it was in a tight infinite loop. I broke it out of the loop and the game finished loading. I'm going to see if I can get a dump to the developers so that they can fix it. I don't know why it happens or why it doesn't happen to other people."
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    @Bleak @Kyronix  One of yall help the girl out!
    You may have to do a deep uninstall to get all of the EC stripped from your computer.
    Ok, I put a backup, clean copy of UserSettings.xml into the User Data file and now, instead of a windowed, small black screen, I get a full sized black screen, which still just disappears. Any progress is good, I guess, but I'm still stuck. Any ideas? 
    You may have to do a deep uninstall to get all of the EC stripped from your computer.
    I have been searching the registry and such, searching for references. I unistalled a few times using the uninstall file option, then a few times from the settings file. Is there some other way to do it?
    Alright, I downloaded and used Geek Uninstaller, which seemed to work well. Sadly, it's still no go. This is just crazy. I think I'm running short on ideas.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    If UO didn't work for 6+ hours, I would have a new computer.

Should delete Virus program before deleting UO.  The File check fixes most issues. Changing the windows display settings fixes the rest.

You have changed way to much stuff.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2020

https://download.cnet.com/Glary-Utilities/3000-18512_4-10508531.html
    https://download.cnet.com/s/uninstallers/
    I use this one https://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-75161625.html
    There are a lot with 4+ user rating with 4+ editor rating

What are the best uninstaller programs for Windows 10?

10 Best free Uninstaller Software for Windows 10/8/7

• Revo Uninstaller.
    • Ashampoo Uninstaller.
    • IObit Uninstaller.
    • CCleaner.
    • Geek Uninstaller.
    Pawain said:
    If UO didn't work for 6+ hours, I would have a new computer.

Should delete Virus program before deleting UO.  The File check fixes most issues. Changing the windows display settings fixes the rest.

You have changed way to much stuff.
    I would be tearing my hair out for sure but I have two computers with UO, so I still do have access. I have a lot of chars so quite often have both comps logged in. They are pretty much identical in their setup.

I haven't actually changed anything. I just rename, test, rename usually.

I did set up exceptions in my antivirus and firewall and I turned off my VPN, which it doesn't seem to like.I was also running Pinco's, which I have also been trying to troubleshoot.I'm looking into whether it's a Windows 10 issue. Oddly, I had forgotten that, when it froze and I had to reboot, it wanted to do an update and was quite demanding, so I couldn't log in to check anything.

Also, on the uninstallers. I had run my fave, CCleaner, quite a few times, then thought to try Geek. I will try the others.

Meanwhile, got any good Netflix recommendations for the next time my head starts spinning? Thanks again for your help!
    Am I correct that this is only effecting the EC?  Are you able to run the CC and all other programs on your computer?
    Am I correct that this is only effecting the EC?  Are you able to run the CC and all other programs on your computer?
    Yes, correct. My latest thing was to force a Windows update but that didn't help either.
    Have you tried to bypass the patcher and directly run the enhanced client program "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UOSA.exe" ?

Have you tried running the compatibility troubleshooter?  Right click on the uosa.exe file and choose the compatibility troubleshooter from the menu.
    Yes I have tried to run it with the UOSA.exe file and I've done the compatibility troubleshooter. No luck on both.
    Please let us all know if you do figure it out.  Have you compared the working computer/EC settings with the non working one.  IMHO it really sounds like the computer settings for your files have somehow changed to not allow the program to run properly. 
    Yes, I have been comparing them and trying a few tweaks here and there too. My thinking right now is that it's Windows, but when I forced an update, that didn't help either.

I will for sure let you know if I find a fix, since I'm pretty sure the odds are it will happen to someone else.Thing is too, somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recall fixing this once, but it was a long time ago.

Anyway, still looking for more ideas. Just think, after all this, the one to fix it is gonna at least qualify for MVP Big Brain Tech of the Year. Prolly qualifies you for a couple of mountain dews, I would expect.
    I used BING and asked "How does windows 10 control programs" and got this

Repair or remove programs in Windows 10

• Repair apps and programs
    • Uninstall or remove apps and programs
    You can repair some apps and programs if they're not running correctly. Note that you won't see repair, change, or modify options for all apps and programs.
    • Repair options from the Settings page
      Select the Start Windows logo Start button button, then select Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Apps > Apps & features. Or just click the shortcut link at the bottom of this article.
      Select the app you want to fix.
      Select the Advanced options link under the name of the app (some apps don't have this option). On the page that opens, select Repair if it's available. If it isn't available or doesn't fix the problem, select Reset.
    • Repair options from the Control Panel
      In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and select it from the results.
      Select Programs > Programs and Features.
      Right-click the program you want to fix and select Repair, or if that’s not available, select Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.
    • For more tips, see Repair an Office application.
    CityKitty said:
    Yes I have tried to run it with the UOSA.exe file and I've done the compatibility troubleshooter. No luck on both.
    I just ran compatibility mode on Ultima Online Enhanced (folder) uopatch and it came up to run it under widows 7 and it loaded up faster than in windows 10
    Wow I'm so lucky to have such help!

I tried compatibility mode but same result. I'm reading through the resources at the links you provided to see if that's the way to go.

I've removed my antivirus program and, of course, installed and removed several times. When I reinstall, I do it from a fresh download, in case there was a glitch.

I am nothing if not tenacious so I'll get to the bottom of this, even if it means a new computer!  Ack!
    IMHO I think that when you crashed that the portion of the operating system that controls UO EC got changed somehow.  I do not think it is hardware related because it only effects one program.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Glad you can still play on the other PC.  Good Luck!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    IMHO I think that when you crashed that the portion of the operating system that controls UO EC got changed somehow.  I do not think it is hardware related because it only effects one program.
    I've reinstalled Directx and updated the graphic driver. Now I'm forcing a Windows update.So far WoW/Diablo II is not affected and I'll try all the other games in a few. Do you remember the old days with the BSOD about thread stuck in the machine? I'm getting a strange feeling that it could be it if it was able to still do that! hehe
    Is there anything under the folder C:\ProgramData\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss besides an empty cache directory?
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I don't know Jack about EC but I have been getting numerous recommended articles about recent win10 updates breaking some computers. 

Does any other modern game work? I know it works on classic but TBH so does a win94. 

Right now I would look for a restore point prior to when the pain in the buttocks started. 

Other than that I know my registry went bonkers a few times leading me to a complete factory restore.
    TimSt said:
    Is there anything under the folder C:\ProgramData\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss besides an empty cache directory?
    No, that's all. It's empty. I didn't even know there was such a directory there.