Solution that will help EA/Broadsword and appease the players in regards to vet rewards

hi.
I have a suggestion that will benefit everyone involved in regards to the recent removal of all vet rewards from idocs which is basically going to destroy the vet reward market in such a manner that new/returning players will no longer be able to afford to pay the price of vet rewards:

1) if you have played other mmorpgs then you know that stuff that is an integral part of the game like special imbuing ingredients aka Relics or in other games gems or whatever the ingredient may be can be obtained in two ways:

a) via lengthy in game time spent playing the game farming for the items/materials/resources 

b) by going to the cash shop and buying X amount of gems/resources for a little bit of cash if they do not have the time to spend farming for the resources they need or desire

this allows a new/casual player ot be able ot enjoy the fruits of their labout more at the same level as the player who spends all his time playing the game. its a healthy system because both the game company and the community benefit from this method.

flash forward to the vet reward scenario:

a player up until this last patch had 3 ways to get a vet reward:

a)  spend several years playing the game at which at different pay levels of the game they are entitled to certain levels of vet rewards/picks example 14 years for a shard shield (unfortunately a new player doesnt have much chance of ever getting a shard shield for their account realistically)

b) go to an idoc and have a small chance that a vet reward was left behind in the house when the player stopped paying for his account (one of the primary ways of a new player/returning player getting some of the older rewards

c) spending real life money to go to a scripters website to buy the vet reward or gold in order to be able to purchase the item through the vendor system in UO or direct from illegal third party websites(this method is highly illegal and results in players accounts getting actioned or banned do not do it)

so now lets tie this all together:
the whole point of deleting vet rewards at idocs was to put a knife in the side of the illegal websites
but it also took the items away from new/returning players that could legitimately get them from idocs
prices on vet rewards are now going to skyrocket once the idoc vet rewards stop circulating preventing new players form being able to buy them unless they chance getting their accounts banned

instead why dont you place a vet reward pick (Or Loot Crate) in the Origin store that a player can go to the store and buy this loot crate for like 20 dollars for example and potentially get the vet reward pick they desire, there will be a lot of first year rewards BUT there is a rarer chance that a player could get that ethereal dragon statue or even OMG a shard shield pick of their choice that would allow a player to shard jump the SAME way a 14 year vet can do making them a LOT more excited about the game which benefits EVERYONE because it will create player retention.

this way a player can still get a vet reward in one of the two traditional ways:

A) spend the years/time playing the game aka paying 12.99 a month for 12 months
B)go to the website and payt a fee for a loot crate equivalent to whatever price you decide on allowing the player a guaranteed vet reward but RANDOM as to which vet reward it will be.

EA knows this system well they run one of the most successful cash shops in the online world with their monthly loot crates in SWTOR . I highly appreciate if this idea at least gets submitted for consideration as I think it will greatly benefit Ultima Online/Broadsword and EA Games in many many ways AND solve several issues players have been needing/wanting/asking for for a long time. the Fabled Shard Shields or other desirable picks.

IF EA does not wish ot do this particular system I strongly recommend also looking at putting in a modified cash shop like SWTOR has as a LARGE CHUNK of their revenue comes from said cash shop which would:
a) excite players with the chance to get cool new things not just limited to ethereal vet rewards but imagine for example a pegasus mount for example
b) produce a secondary source of income for EA/Broadfsword that I know is definetly needed based on the amount of people leaving the servers and moving on to other more modern games
c) Ultima Online is basically a HISTORICAL GAME its the grandaddy of them, all and this would help increase the player base tremendously and also help benefit with the coming advent of UO on steam if that is a real thing going to happen. that would be the perfect time to implement this system, and HOPEFULLY STEAM players and CLASSIC players will be able ot play on the same servers together benefiting everyone.

Sorry for the long winded post but as a LONGTIME PLAYER in the MMORPG world I DO Believe this would GREATLY benefit everyone who lives in the world of ULTIMA ONLINE.

Best Regards,
                                                                                     Dasilva Blackrose

Comments

• DasilvaDasilva Posts: 98
    shit i posted this in totally the wrong forum please move this to the mesanna forum sorry rares ppl
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    Could you please be more clear as to which forum you would like this thread moved to?
    Wherever it is more likely that you guys will potentially see and/or read the suggestion I do not see a game suggestion Forum that is where I would place it but I was trying to put it in the mesanna forum as a suggestion, I know the general forums dont get read much and I think this is a viable suggestion I would like seen, so put it wherever you think is best thank you
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    We don't have a 'mesanna forum', as can be seen from the forum listing. I have put it in the test center forum.
  • IMHO, I see only one kind of vet rewards a young account needs. That is an etherial riding option. This can already aquired via the shop. Soulstone cannot be used from idocs.
    The other items which are not account bound are only nice to have. You can live without it.
    Long time player always have spare rewards if they return. So there is no need to hold them.

But On the other hand I think the deletions of veteran rewards was a false decision and hurts the normal player base.

Maybe they want to sell more stuff(ethereal, house teleporter) from the shop. I cannot see in their thoughts.
    WHY this will not work? Because the rmt sited will always be cheaper than the BS store..

That's my personal opinion. I am glad that you and others try to find a solution to this game change. If we are lucky this will happen some day.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    ridiculous...your vaccum script collect dust instead of vet rewards now...
  • looploop Posts: 301
    This post must be in jest. Please, Broadsword, do not implement loot crates. Loot crates are terrible pseudo-gambling that represent the absolute worst trend in the recent money-grabbing, mobile-driven business practices of the gaming industry. 

It’s bad enough that you can buy powerful items in the store. Nothing will be solved by making the cash shop play an even more central role.
    edited April 2020
    Except maybe bring cash in to the business to encourage the game to continue being improved upon and kept alive? Newsflash swtor was getting shut down ESO was getting shut down many many other games were getting shut down and that cash shop turned those games around and saved them, you may not like it but a video game/gamecompany is there to make a profit no profit no game that's the bottom line and quite honestly you dont have a clue just how many people are leaving the game for one reason or another I dont either but based on the huge amounts of DAILY idocs and the huge amount of open housing space on most servers I'm willing to bank on the fact uo has been crawling bleeding along for quite some time. I love the game have been back for about a year and am trying to come up with ideas to benefit all AND shard shields in the store plus other things has been asked for countless times in the past. 
    My account is 10 years old and still has 4 more years to go before it can get a shard shield just for example, I do not see the game or more importantly me lasting another four years granted I was one of the ppl that back in the day said trammel would kill uo and was wrong but I definetly believe uo needs a better revenue source than what it currently has
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Broadsword collects no money from UO.  Your subs are pain to EA.  Your perches from Origin Store is paid to EA.  EA pays Broadsword X amount of money to maintain DAoC and UO.  There is no way that EA would allow UO to run a RMT site that you are talking about and not let EA collect all the money.  UO would have to super expand the in-game store and allow you to buy everything with sovereigns so EA still gets to keep all the cash.
  • NikardNikard Posts: 164
    Except for.. you forgot the part where you can just save some gold and buy any vet reward you want from the numerous players selling them. Yikes I guess that observation sort of eliminates the need for what you have suggested here..
    Except yikes you dont seem to understand that with the removal of vet rewards from idocs the vet reward market is soon going to skyrocket when ppl realize they are slowly being phased out of the economy
    Dasilva said:
    Except yikes you dont seem to understand that with the removal of vet rewards from idocs the vet reward market is soon going to skyrocket when ppl realize they are slowly being phased out of the economy

You know each year, every account turns a year older right?
    I have a better solution than yours, they could just add a command in game, "-give rewards" and this way everyone can have all of them and nobody will whine about idocs being unfair, right?
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Dasilva said:
    What rewards do you think other players are going to want, please be very specific.  IMHO I can only think of very few like house teleporters but you can buy those in the uo store, Ethies you can also buy a ride able pet that you can never lose.  This new IDOC System has just started and you are acting like the supply of Vet Rewards to be sold will dry up in like weeks.  Vet Rewards have been here for 19 years, yes most are not as desirable as others but even those that are there is still a lot of them out there.
    they have already doubled in price almost may i point out to you a vendors search  from just now

Vet.gif 74.4K
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Congratulations, you and those who are like minded have created a self fulfilling prophecy. It is far too soon for the change in IDOCs to have created a shortage, but you predicted that they would go up in price, the vendors obviously didn't want to disappoint you.
    Dasilva said:
    they have already doubled in price almost may i point out to you a vendors search  from just now

Just because some one put them on their vendors you are ASSUMING that people are gullable enough to buy them at that price.  Some was trying to sell any vet reward up to 13th year on Atl for 155M and guess how many people took him up on his offer, ZERO.  There is a first yr vet horse foe 125M on Atl VS are you going to buy it, well sure you are.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    The website that advertises in chat every 30 mins loves the new prices. Business us booming for them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    Well  nice idea but the Gods of UO do not learn the lessons of other games...that aside 
    Prices have in the last few months have jumped up on most things in the VS.  I will say though he does have a small point. You and I know full well if the players coming in cry they want stuff the price will go up.  As with all things in the greed world the sellers will push to the limit of what people will pay to get it. As the IDOC's fall and things get eliminated from the game via this new set up things will get fewer in the market. Its the same in the RL world.

While I did not like the idea of the removal of many of the things in the new IDOC looting system the system is a bit more fair looting wise.  I have stopped going to the IDOC's. as in part I don't need household goods or flowers... the Mats and Reg's were my main reason as I use them.  
    I'd like to see the Dev consider some of the other game ways but I know its a moot point that it would gain the game players. With all the Stay at Home people looking to get rid of that boredom UO could be gaining players if they just put their foot in the damn door and showed we are quite alive and kicking...… 
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
     With all the Stay at Home people looking to get rid of that boredom UO could be gaining players if they just put their foot in the damn door and showed we are quite alive and kicking...… 
    THIS.

Also a great time to spill the beans on this years roadmap. Keep these folks interested. You know, communication...*gasps*  
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400
    What …?????  the Dev tell any secrets!!! your talking of things that can get you excommunicated from uo
  • Lieutenant_DanLieutenant_Dan Posts: 195
    edited April 2020
    I love everything about the new IDOC changes EXCEPT for the deletion of vet rewards.  Everything else is great and thank you to the development team for taking the time to make this happen. 

The decision to delete vet rewards was done under the premise that no one except for the house owner 'earned' those rewards.  Therefore they should be deleted because no one else has a right to claim them at an IDOC.  This is simply not true and I'll explain why

In many cases veteran rewards do not belong to the account that owns the house.

example #1 -  I did not claim most of the vet rewards i have displayed in any of my houses.  Most were purchased from other players that did claim them.  If my house was to go idoc then i feel the player that did earn them be given a chance to get them back by attending the idoc.

example #2 -  Account bound veteran rewards that are locked down in homes they are Co-Owned too. 
     I keep all of my shard shields in one home and all of my soulstones in another on atlantic.  These veteran reward items do not belong to the account that owns that house.  They belong to the co-owner. 
     I also own several houses spread out across other shards that have mixed vet rewards stored in them.  
    Now i don't play the 90 day game.  I pay all of my accounts on a renewing monthly subscription.  That being said it has happened many times in the past when for no reason my card will stop getting billed causing my accounts to go into default.  Most times i catch it but my fear is that one day i will not (especially easy on an account that holds a house on a less populated shard that i sometimes don't go to for months at a time).

Deletion of vet rewards is opening a whole can worms.  If i was to loose my shard shields because of this it would probably mean the end of UO for me.

• SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    i agree with the deletion of vet rewards.

the idea of vet rewards is to encourage someone to keep their account open.

that "reward" loses alot of appeal when an overabundance of built up vet rewards drives price down to nothing.

the only change i could see that might increase cash flow would be sell all vet rewards (including shard shields) on the UO store.

• Lieutenant_DanLieutenant_Dan Posts: 195
    edited April 2020
    That's exactly why they're deleting them Smoot. 
    It's nothing but yet ANOTHER cash grab.

You think 'that reward looses alot of appeal" with an overabundance built up"? 
    It wouldn't even compare to the loss of appeal they would get when they start selling all of the vet rewards in the UO store.  Just like everything else they threw in there for a quick cash grab.

• FortisFortis Posts: 408
    power scrolls have double in price nothing to do with idocs....supply and demands...yeah at very long term vet reward will go higher but not in a week
    @Fortis power scrolls have doubled because of pet training and as soon as we get all our pets scrolled out then the demand will go down and so will the price.
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,311
    I was an IDOC last night and the vendor there had around 40 to 60 120 ps and 6 other vendors had pink scrolls hundreds of them 
    all got deleted 
    nothing good in barrels that anyone bragged about 
    this was on pac a castle 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    ZLord_Frodo said:
    @ Fortis power scrolls have doubled because of pet training and as soon as we get all our pets scrolled out then the demand will go down and so will the price.
    The taming revamp has been out for 3 years . There's a ton of returning players on Atlantic . Pet scroll prices will never drop. There are lots of pets to be tamed and trained.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    ZLord_Frodo said:
    @ Fortis power scrolls have doubled because of pet training and as soon as we get all our pets scrolled out then the demand will go down and so will the price.
    The taming revamp has been out for 3 years . There's a ton of returning players on Atlantic . Pet scroll prices will never drop. There are lots of pets to be tamed and trained.
    Did you not see the part once we get all out pet scrolled then prices will drop.
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    I have several tamers and am always scrolling pets. Prices have risen with all the returning players somewhat, but will never drop that much. Tamers tame, pets eat scrolls.