Now we know what they were doing.

PawainPawain Posts: 9,045
edited January 2020 in General Discussions
So what else is in store for UO this year?  The team has spent the better part of January thinking about what the future of Britannia looks like.  For over two decades players from all over the world have been part of the Ultima Online experience.  Those players have forged a legacy that will live on for generations.  For those who have been part of that legacy, you know the joy and excitement that comes with calling yourself a Britannian.  To build on that legacy and bring Ultima Online to the largest audience ever, the team is in the early stages of designing and building our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade!  We are incredibly excited about the future and cannot wait to share the journey with you!

Instead of responding to the negativity here they were working on UO. 

Kinda like I said;  Mesanna has the Minions locked in the basement until they are ready to roll out the plans for 2020.

Not what others have claimed.

I am ready for the Journey ahead.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• it sounds to me like its just gonna be steam or something round 2 ... not overly exciting I do hope I am wrong
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,045
    edited January 2020
    Maybe my Son would use his account if it were on Steam!  Everything is Legit if its on Steam! (is that what the kids say now?)

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited January 2020
    Pawain said:
    So what else is in store for UO this year?  The team has spent the better part of January thinking about what the future of Britannia looks like.  For over two decades players from all over the world have been part of the Ultima Online experience.  Those players have forged a legacy that will live on for generations.  For those who have been part of that legacy, you know the joy and excitement that comes with calling yourself a Britannian.  To build on that legacy and bring Ultima Online to the largest audience ever, the team is in the early stages of designing and building our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade!  We are incredibly excited about the future and cannot wait to share the journey with you!

Instead of responding to the negativity here they were working on UO. 

Kinda like I said;  Mesanna has the Minions locked in the basement until they are ready to roll out the plans for 2020.

Not what others have claimed.

I am ready for the Journey ahead.

I totally second that!!! :)

• This has been said before....
    Like that comic book artist.. artist my aunt fanny pffft
    Over the years I have seen changes do a lot of damage when they rush things out to grab players who are ready to call it quits or want to for once be on top of the pile...  Don't get me wrong some changes were good.. but they have to stop this I give you 1 good thing and take away 2 or 4 of the things your needing to make that good addition great.   
    Change is good for most people but the UO die hard??  Not so much.  
    I hate the hidden hand they have when they offer the new content and show all the good. This makes me leary of the Greek Gods of UO... you know there is a lightning bolt in there some where  its just whos tush is gunna get it first I worry about.
  • monkgamermonkgamer Posts: 100
    more players more people to cater to. 
  • "To build on that legacy and bring Ultima Online to the largest audience ever, the team is in the early stages of designing and building our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade!"

1 Decade = 10 years
    2020 - 10 = 2010

Ultima Online: The Second Age (Oct 1, 1998)
    Ultima Online: Renaissance (May 4, 2000)
    Ultima Online: Third Dawn (Mar 7, 2001)
    Ultima Online: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge (February 24, 2002)
    Ultima Online: Age of Shadows (February 11, 2003)
    Ultima Online: Samurai Empire (November 2, 2004)
    Ultima Online: Mondain's Legacy (August 30, 2005)
    Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn (June 27, 2007)
    Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss (September 8, 2009)
    Ultima Online: High Seas (October 12, 2010)
    Ultima Online: Time of Legends (2015) 

So, prior to High Seas. Don't think they have the personnel power to do something as big as Stygian Abyss, as ToL took a year or more to get fleshed out. 

Wait, endeavor, not expansion........Kingdom Reborn?!?

Is this why we've seen nothing done with the EC in a couple years? You mentioned in a Newsletter in early 2019 you had plans for the EC, but nothing ever happened in 2019. CC got some new features and nice new gumps. You all finally going to consolidate clients?
    -Arroth
  • To build on that legacy and bring Ultima Online to the largest audience ever, the team is in the early stages of designing and building our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade!

Whatever it is they're up to it would have to be pretty grand to bring numbers back up to the early 2000's time period.  If that is what they're implying in the above statement then it has me somewhat intrigued.  

• Didn't UO subscriptions peak at around 280k in mid 2003?
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,030
    edited January 2020
    To build on that legacy and bring Ultima Online to the largest audience ever, the team is in the early stages of designing and building our biggest and boldest endeavor in over a decade!

Whatever it is they're up to it would have to be pretty grand to bring numbers back up to the early 2000's time period.  If that is what they're implying in the above statement then it has me somewhat intrigued.  
    "Largest audience" is probably marketing hyperbole for widest market, rather than number of subscriptions. Maybe UO is headed to Steam? EA is starting to put "select titles" on Steam.

They've said before the team is Messana, Bleak, Kryonix, Misk, and an Artist. That's it.

If ToL was a lot for them, I don't seen something Stygian Abyss sized, let alone bringing subscription numbers back up into the hundreds of thousands. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see EA put in a cash infusion and give the game enough personnel to do something to woo subscribers back by the hundreds of thousands, I just don't think that's realistic.

My guess is a "rebuilt" CC client with EC functionality, the end of both CC and EC, and then that one new streamlined client on Steam. (Or at least telling the playerbase that it's a rebuilt CC. More than likely a brand new client with CC graphics and EC functions).

That would still be a lot for a small team, but plausible if they got some help from additional staff at Broadsword.

Of course, they could pull a Blizzard and announce a new...wait for it...….Mobile UO! Play anywhere all the time! It's on yo fone!

:| 

Wait. Oh jeez. Largest Audience. No audience is larger than the smartphone market. And that would take the game to the next generation. The generation that is on their phones all the time.

I take back my earlier guess. They are working on a Mobile port of UO.
    -Arroth
  • Putting it on Steam only makes sense to increase the playerbase. Steam is pretty much people's go to and they have been brainwashed to think they should only get games from there and nowhere else.

I just hope that in doing that, I do not have to get steam myself, because I am not as much exited as this generation in putting all my eggs in one basket. I prefer going directly to the source.

But MObile, now that would be awesome, I just don't see how it could be done without completely destroying the game to its bare bones minimals. EA already created and ruined one Ultima Mobile game, so lets not be to swift to go the mobile route. ( just stating facts not bashing )

• We still don't know what they've been doing.  Haven't seen anything yet...

Show some action, then we can see something.  Ideas and newsletters and talk aren't anything we can play with, and nothing we want to pay for.  

I would quote "A little less talk, a lot more action", but truth is, they don't even talk 
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I will admit, I don't like the whole "You'll know when the rest of the world knows" moves that they tend to make. Players of 20+ years have to wait until some unknown audience knows ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • I dislike these games, just tell us. We don't need surprises lol
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    UO could never be on mobile. 
  • Lieutenant_DanLieutenant_Dan Posts: 195
    edited February 2020
    Time will tell. 
    Hate it when they tease me like this!
    well....  I guess it's a love / hate thing lol

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    dvvid said:
    UO could never be on mobile. 

Beside the fact that I personally don't feel this as a limitation, pray, tell us why.

You can safely use multisyllabic words in doing so: we are a bunch heavily computer literate old farts... :D
  • I will admit, I don't like the whole "You'll know when the rest of the world knows" moves that they tend to make. Players of 20+ years have to wait until some unknown audience knows ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM25-lz1Yms