train

hi everyone, I have a problem,

I would like train swordsmanship, but I can't, he tells me: "you may not purchase skill training while your character is on a new player skill quest"

I am no longer young player

Comments

• ZekeTerraZekeTerra Posts: 313
    You have to cancel any quests you may have gotten before you can buy skill again.  Check your quest log to see if you have any like Tactics, Parry, etc.  Cancel them all, buy all the skills to 40 then take the quests in New Haven to get accelerated gains.
  • I also have another question,

what do you recommend to start the game? what is the purpose of the game?
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    A swordsman is a good place to start. It is a good general character that can give you a feel for the way the game works. But there is no right type of character, some just work better for some play style than others. You just have to try new things in the game till you find what works for you by witch I mean what you enjoy.

As for the game's purpose. It doesn't have one. It's a play world with lots and lots of things to do. "Winning" can only be defined by you. I've been playing for 20 years and probably haven't done more the half the content available. The rest doesn't interest me or I just haven't gotten around to it.

Welcome and I hope you have a good time here. Feel free to ask questions or for help. For the most part we are a friendly and if you like group play there are some good guilds willing to help a new player. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,042
    hi everyone, I have a problem,

I would like train swordsmanship, but I can't, he tells me: "you may not purchase skill training while your character is on a new player skill quest"

I am no longer young player
    You are on a quest from an NPC in Haven.  Check your quest log.

Trick:  Purchase all the skills you want up to 40ish.  Then start the quests.  Can't purchase while on the quest.  The rewards are deco now.  And gargs get things they can not wear.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • how do i get skills and abilities to fight?
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited January 2020
    There is a toggle to switch between peace and war. Just hold a sword and double click some animals out of town while in war stance. Your skill will raise while you fight. Ask some players around Haven if you don't have a sword xD
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    edited January 2020
    Mariah said:
    The Gwenn tutorial was disabled with launch of EJ...  :s

Would be cool if there was at least a wiki page replacing it. Like explaining what your backpack is, how to equip a weapon, how to toggle war, aggro a mob, etc.

That Novice guide wouldn't help many totally new players tbh...

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,972Moderator

JollyJade said:

Would be cool if there was at least a wiki page replacing it. Like explaining what your backpack is, how to equip a weapon, how to toggle war, aggro a mob, etc.

I hadn't realised that, thank you. I will try to address that problem.
  • but besides fighting monsters, what else can you do in the game?
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    It's a sandbox. You can do anything you want. Craft, quest, tame, fish, collect stuff or just log in to socialize. 
    edited January 2020
    Mariah said:

JollyJade said:

I hadn't realised that, thank you. I will try to address that problem.
    Would help more if you asked the team why the tutorial was disabled and if they could enable it again. Unfortunately, I don't seem to get any replies from them even if I try.

Also not gonna lie, having a new player spent his first 30 minutes of gametime reading some wiki is the worst way to have them spent that time..
  • Watch out for the Mongbats, man those our tough. They sit up in the trees and when you walk by they swoop down on you. Terrifying! 
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,789

You can garden, do on land treasure maps and sunken treasure chests, go after pirates on the high seas (high seas booster pack required), explore dungeons, etc

but besides fighting monsters, what else can you do in the game?
    Taming animals is something many ppl enjoy. But levelling your skill before you can use any decent stuff will take quite some time (weeks).

You can also place a house, which will give you are rectangular area to decorate with pixel crack but more importantly a base for ops! It's not like Minecraft or Rust or Ark though, more like playing Sims lol but it does the job.

Endgame content in UO is just as everywhere fighting bosses. There are over a dozen of them, but really only one or two can be considered endgame content in terms of rewards. They are all fun though, one way or the other.

but besides fighting monsters, what else can you do in the game?
    Feels a bit odd though that those questions are not answered in game. If you don't see any people in Haven all day, you might also consider starting on a more populated shard again. Many of them are super quiet but some you will actually see people in towns.
  • where do i find the dungeons?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,042
    What shard are you playing? What time?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.