When did the Hatchet become a two hand item?

I can remember the hatchet being a one hand item?  Or am I wrong??
Remove Trap = Bad News
for
Treasure Hunters
Drakelord#5598

Comments

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204

It's been 2 handed since the balanced property was added. Can't remember prior to that.

• BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    IIRC from talks with the person who introduced me to the game, Hatchets were 1-handed in Beta, maybe a very short time after. But they had been 2-handed for years, by the time I started in March 2003.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    I started in 2000 and I am pretty sure they were one handed then
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    if Urge is correct, the balance property was added in 2013.
    And I have to agree because I know I used to use one handed, when I played before. 
  • Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited November 2019

The hatchet has been 2-handed a lot longer than that.  My lumberjack is old, pre random resources by several years and I absolutely know hatchets were 2-handed back then.  My lumberjack is a chiv swords Ljack and I was very irritated I couldn't use a FC1 shield.

I'm pretty sure Basara is correct.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Could it have been when they introduce the Lumberjack Damage Bonus in 2001?  Lumberjacking was a tested method used to gain strength quickly.  It has been a very long time and I remember when they came out with the bonus and could have sworn that there were 1 handed axe type weps but after training my swordsman I couldn't find one.

• The war axe is a 1-handed macing weapon. 

That's the only axe type weapon I know of that's 1-handed.
  • BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    There are Beta screenshots I've seen where people had a hatchet and shield. so, it was sometime after Beta, but well before AoS.
  • The hatchet was already 2-handed in 1998:

http://web.archive.org/web/19981207042548/http://uoss.stratics.com/arms.htm

This is a snapshot of stratics from December 1998 on web archive
  • The hatchet has been two-handed for a very long time. I have always wondered about that. Because logically, an ax is two handed and a hatchet is one handed.
  • CrazyDave said:
    The hatchet has been two-handed for a very long time. I have always wondered about that. Because logically, an ax is two handed and a hatchet is one handed.

Exactly!

• UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    CrazyDave said:
    Because logically, an ax is two handed and a hatchet is one handed.

Cmon now. We've been wearing the same underwear for 22-23 years, have never used the restroom and shoot fireballs from our fingers. There's just things that aren't logical.