Problem with Discovering Animal Taming Quest

I had my tamer on Origin take this quest from the News gump.  She tamed a bird outside the house and I'm pretty sure she got a red message that she'd finished the quest.  However, I had to log off at that point, so I released the bird and logged off.

Came back a bit later and when I checked on that quest, it still said I had to tame something.  So she tamed an eagle this time and nothing happened.  Released it.  Tamed a unicorn and still no message.  Released the unicorn.  The quest gump still said she had to tame a creature.

I haven't done much with pet training since it came out and I'm about 99.9% positive that this particular tamer on Origin has never done any quest like this one (I thought there was one like this that came out with pet training but you got it from the animal trainer at a stable).  

I cancelled the quest from the quest log and took it again.  Tamed a turkey and got the red message that said, "You've completed an Animal Training quest! Visit an Animal Trainer to continue!"  Released the turkey.

However, when I visited an animal trainer, they just tried to give me the same quest again.  When I checked my quest log, it looked like the original quest was back to square 0 again and telling me I have to tame an animal.  I accepted the quest offered by the animal trainer and then in my quest log I had the one quest but it showed two objectives of "Tame a creature."

I tamed a goat and got the red message as above.  But nothing changed on the quest log...still showed two objectives of "Tame a creature."  Then I tamed a new turkey and got no message when it was tamed.

Dragged both of the critters to the animal trainer and "aha" moment:  Now it looks like the quest is going to continue.

So, by trial and error, it looks like the only way to continue the quest is to take the newly tamed critter to an animal trainer.  

Maybe the quest directions need to say this?  There was nothing there that said I couldn't release the animal until I went on to step 2.    

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    On most quests in UO you are required to return with the quest item.  It never said you could release the item either.
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    Bilbo said:
    On most quests in UO you are required to return with the quest item.  It never said you could release the item either.
    This is true.  But maybe adding a short sentence to the quest directions making it clear you can't release the pet would help other people.  What could it hurt to make it more explicit?
     :) 
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    Hrm.  I’ll have to look into this.  I didn’t think keeping the pet was a pre-requisite for advancing through. This quest was ported from the existing animal trainer quest that is on production. 
    Margrette said:
    I had my tamer on Origin take this quest from the News gump.  She tamed a bird outside the house and I'm pretty sure she got a red message that she'd finished the quest.  However, I had to log off at that point, so I released the bird and logged off.

Came back a bit later and when I checked on that quest, it still said I had to tame something.  So she tamed an eagle this time and nothing happened.  Released it.  Tamed a unicorn and still no message.  Released the unicorn.  The quest gump still said she had to tame a creature.

I haven't done much with pet training since it came out and I'm about 99.9% positive that this particular tamer on Origin has never done any quest like this one (I thought there was one like this that came out with pet training but you got it from the animal trainer at a stable).  

I cancelled the quest from the quest log and took it again.  Tamed a turkey and got the red message that said, "You've completed an Animal Training quest! Visit an Animal Trainer to continue!"  Released the turkey.

However, when I visited an animal trainer, they just tried to give me the same quest again.  When I checked my quest log, it looked like the original quest was back to square 0 again and telling me I have to tame an animal.  I accepted the quest offered by the animal trainer and then in my quest log I had the one quest but it showed two objectives of "Tame a creature."

I tamed a goat and got the red message as above.  But nothing changed on the quest log...still showed two objectives of "Tame a creature."  Then I tamed a new turkey and got no message when it was tamed.

Dragged both of the critters to the animal trainer and "aha" moment:  Now it looks like the quest is going to continue.

So, by trial and error, it looks like the only way to continue the quest is to take the newly tamed critter to an animal trainer.  

Maybe the quest directions need to say this?  There was nothing there that said I couldn't release the animal until I went on to step 2.    
    Are you saying the first Discovering Animal Training quest was in your quest log?  Just checked this on Origin based on the following steps, 

1. Went to the Town Crier.
    2. Accepted the Discovering Animal Training Quest.
    3. Tamed a pig.
    4. Released the pig
    5. Dbl clicked on an animal trainer, received the next part of "Discovering Animal Training" related to training progress.

Once I tamed the pig from the first quest, it was no longer in my jq

edited March 2018
    I don't think it was already in her quest log because I've never done any of the new pet training with that character.  But I suppose there is a small possibility it was already there and I'd forgotten about it.

However, I just in the last ten minutes (around 11:45 a.m. ET) followed the exact same steps on Baja as I did on Origin, except that this time I confirmed that the Discovering Animal Training Quest was NOT already in the character's quest log:

1. Went to the town cryer in New Haven.
    2. Accepted the Discovering Animal Training quest.
    3. Tamed a dog and got the quest completion message in red.
    4. Released the dog.
    5. Walked to the stable and double clicked on Jolene the Animal Trainer.
    6. The quest page that comes up is still saying that she has to tame a creature, as if taming the dog didn't count.

I won't be home or able to do anything in UO for a couple of hours.  But I'm attaching a screen shot that should give you the information you need to show where she is in the quest at this moment in case you need to pull things up.

Note: After I posted the above, I switched back to UO.  In order to clear the quest gump off the screen, I had to press the Accept button (or the Refuse button).  I pressed Accept and got the message "You have accepted the Quest."  So I won't know now if I try to tame another animal there whether I'm doing a new quest from the Animal Trainer or the first one from the News gump.  I do have 2 other tamers on that shard, so I could try testing on either of them later today if needed.
    Margrette said:
    I don't think it was already in her quest log because I've never done any of the new pet training with that character.  But I suppose there is a small possibility it was already there and I'd forgotten about it.

However, I just in the last ten minutes (around 11:45 a.m. ET) followed the exact same steps on Baja as I did on Origin, except that this time I confirmed that the Discovering Animal Training Quest was NOT already in the character's quest log:

1. Went to the town cryer in New Haven.
    2. Accepted the Discovering Animal Training quest.
    3. Tamed a dog and got the quest completion message in red.
    4. Released the dog.
    5. Walked to the stable and double clicked on Jolene the Animal Trainer.
    6. The quest page that comes up is still saying that she has to tame a creature, as if taming the dog didn't count.

I won't be home or able to do anything in UO for a couple of hours.  But I'm attaching a screen shot that should give you the information you need to show where she is in the quest at this moment in case you need to pull things up.

Note: After I posted the above, I switched back to UO.  In order to clear the quest gump off the screen, I had to press the Accept button (or the Refuse button).  I pressed Accept and got the message "You have accepted the Quest."  So I won't know now if I try to tame another animal there whether I'm doing a new quest from the Animal Trainer or the first one from the News gump.  I do have 2 other tamers on that shard, so I could try testing on either of them later today if needed.
    Thank you for the follow up.  We've isolated the issue and are working on a fix.  Thanks again!
    Okay.  Am literally running out the door in a few minutes.  Was thinking that if I tried it again with a different character, a good thing to do would be to check the quest log after getting the red message and then again after releasing the tamed animal to see whether or not the quest disappeared from the quest log.  I didn't think to do that.

Good luck with the fix.
    Margrette said:
    Okay.  Am literally running out the door in a few minutes.  Was thinking that if I tried it again with a different character, a good thing to do would be to check the quest log after getting the red message and then again after releasing the tamed animal to see whether or not the quest disappeared from the quest log.  I didn't think to do that.

Good luck with the fix.
     :)  <3 :) <3 :) <3  :)  <3 :) <3 :) <3  :)  <3