Daily Dungeon suggestion with poll.

I've mentioned this in a few other posts here, but I'd like to give it's own thread with a poll if that's okay?

DAILY DUNGEONS.

The daily challenges would be quests you can pick up in Brit Commons. Each day the quests would be several random dungeons or monsters in different areas that include free content areas and the High Sea/ TOL areas. As well as both Fel and Ilsh champ spawns.

The challenges are only good for 1 day, so you can't save them up. You would need to pick them up each day and delete any old ones you didn't finish.

Once completed you would acquire points for the daily dungeon master npc in Brit Commons.

Some dungeons and monsters could offer more points depending on level and difficulty.

Things like:
Kill 10 blood elementals
Kill Travesty
Kill 50 earth elementals
Kill Barracoon the Piper
Kill Swoop
Kill 10 Greater Dragons

You could also make it to where subscribers get more dailies than EJ accounts.

Create new rewards that entice players to want to do this and to buy TOL and HighSeas

Such as the:

1. Shard visitor token (allows the player to visit any shard) good for a round trip there and back. Once the player chooses a shard to visit they would go with what's in their pack and have a time limit of an hour before it would bring them back to their original shard.

2. Recipes: tired recipes for tailors and blacksmiths -- 120 skill for Mythical, 110 for Legendary, 100 for GM, 90 for exalted?
Mythical crafting recipes that require items from each monster to create it; something from Dreadhorn, Mel,  Travesty, Savage skin paint, etc.
Mythical weapons and armor and lesser versions such as exalted, grandmaster and legendary.

2. Recipes: Animated weapon skins, click to put on your weapon to make it shimmer with magic

Other reward ideas:

3. set of collector items: Town replica village deeds (collect each town) it's like the little house deeds, but small mini version of towns -- like the one in Blackthorne's castle

4. set of collector house pets: once locked down in your house they can move around the house: cat, dog, potbelly pig, squirrel, hamster

5. set of collector mini monster pets: Once locked down in the house they can move, animated with
maybe a magic or melee move.

6. set of collector armor from each developer: a full set for each with names attached, could make these to be imbued.

7. cosmetic statuette pets, these would follow you around. Click and uncliick the statue like the wisp.
  1. Should we have daily dungeons added to UO?11 votes
    1. Yes, I'd love to have them.
      45.45%
    2. No, I don't like them.
      54.55%

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I think you should take a step back and think about just how much work such a scheme would be for the developers, given the size of the current team. 
    Personally, I think you're asking rather a lot. I suppose it might be possible, if they devoted the whole of next year to it.
  • ActionEllyActionElly Posts: 156
    edited October 2019
    They could do it like they've been doing and add rewards as they go, not all at once. How big is the current team size? @Petra_Fyde

The rewards are just ideas of course the main idea is to have daily dungeon quests, which shouldn't be that hard to implement.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    There are already a considerable number of quests in the game, and I don't feel that a sandbox game should revolve around quests.

Not hard to implement?  Could you list out just what you think would be involved in the process? Because I think it would take a considerable amount of work to come up with the ideas, design the process, code the steps, check it all worked as intended, didn't cause a knock-on effect anywhere else, balance the rewards. etc, etc etc.

As far as I know, there's no actual list. I'm sure if I've missed anyone, or mis-remembered their actual role, someone will step in and correct me. 

As far as I know we have: Bonnie Armstrong aka Mesanna, producer. Michael Armstong, aka Misk QA. Stephen Brown aka Bleak, software engineer, Greg Havlusch, Designer? and an artist whose name I sadly don't remember and who I believe prefers to remain in the background.
    edited October 2019
    @Petra_Fyde We already have quests so it's not like it's something "new" and weird or out of place for our sandbox game.

Yes, I can list out what I think would be involved since I'm a game developer myself;I have a game studio with a small team. :)

1. Pre-planning - what's the plan, what are we doing next? I'm hoping my suggestion is in before they start their next year planning session and it sparks a discussion within the team or put on the backlist.

2. Green-light/Early development - hold meetings to get all the details down, documentations, organizing work sections, keep in mind all game developers have their own way of doing things. Some use Scrum. Things that will need to be figured out: List of monsters/bosses that will be added to the Dungeon Master list. Start with a few of each for testing purposes.

place a test dummy dungeon master npc in Brit Commons; create generic menu boxes for the quest menu with a few monsters/bosses that will be randomly generated on a cycle event at server up to test.

Quest "Explains what he's doing there and what the player needs to do" Come back each day adventurer!" blah blah blah. I'm not getting paid for this! 

Next menu quest screen has a list of the daily quests for player to click on, if EJ the player can only choose 2 daily kill quests. If subscribed, then player can choose 5 daily kill quests.

Create the script to track daily click quest to each monster or boss and the amounts, and points for each turn in. If it's a Peerless boss, then I would say 2 points, Doom 4 points, Fel champ spawn bosses would be the most at like 6 points.

Create a pedastal and menu reward gump with points needed and place next to the dungeon master. This script is already in place with the buc's den and the soulbinder npc.

Make a grand-master list of eventual monsters/bosses,

Here's a list of bosses and artifacts to get started:

Melisande, Dreadhorn, Chief Paroxysmus, Travesty, Shimmering Effusion, Monstrous Interred Grizzle, Doom creatures, Shadowguard, and Stygian.

Start planning reward drops throughout the year, start with the  Mythical recipes that require 120 tailoring and blacksmithing. Make sure to include "This item may hold its makers mark".

Mythical weapons  - 1 of each: mace, sword, fencing, throwing, staff, bow, spellbook, musical instrument.

Do what you've been doing, but add better properties from the base of the existing ones and include peerless uncommon drops, such as corruption, taint, blight and other things that drop on the selected monsters/bosses for the crafting resources. It will take a bit of brainstorming to look at each piece and make it more viable for UO 2020.
    • All recipes crafted via tailoring
    • Mage’s Hood of Scholarly Insight – new mage’s hood equippable with the stats of the Scholarly Halo
      • 5 Yards of Cloth, 5 Leather, 1 Scholar’s Halo, 10 Void Core

Artifacts needed for recipes - Melisande's Corroded hatchet, Dreadhorn's Dread's revenge, Storm Caller, Chief Paroxysmus sceptor of the chief, Staff of the Magi, Bow of infinite swarms, lolo's lute, Anon's spellbook. Corguls handbooks, ML resources and uncommon drops

Mythical armor - 1 of each helmet, chest, legs, gloves, gorget, arms and shield

Artifacts needed for recipes- Monstrous Interred Grizzle armor piece, Mark of Travesty, Aegis, leggins of bane, midnight bracers, violet courage, helm of swiftness ML resources and uncommon drops

Mythical jewelry- 1 of each ring, bracelet, earring, talisman

Artifacts needed for recipes:Crystalline ring, ring of the soulbinder, mana phasing orb, bloodwood spirit, bracelet of health, ring of the elements, ring of the vile, Wamap's bone earrings, ML resources and uncommon drops

3. Artwork- menus, pedatal, npc master, recipe scrolls, weapons and armor: use the same artwork for each piece or get fancy and create new looks.

4. Polish, test, bug smashing, release

5. Add new rewards for the next cycle

edited October 2019
    Sorry I realize that some of these might already be converted from the doom artifacts such as the midnight bracers, ring of elements, and leggins of bane :s

• Regardless, I still think this is a great way to ramp up what's already in the game; If the rewards are worth the effort.

The thing about daily dungeons is that if everyone is doing the daily quests more players that otherwise can't solo this content will be able to.

Here's the advantages of daily dungeons:

1. You'll have more people asking for parties because they WANT those rewards.
    2. You'll run into other players in these overrun mob infested areas making it easier for
    people to do the content.
    3. You'll make new friends
    3.  More reasons for community events
    4.  Guilds can create events around them
    5. Keeps content from becoming obsolete

There's more, but I'm sure some of you are thinking of the negatives so I'll try to list those as well

1. It's not for the soloist , however you can still do these on your own but it'd be nice if you lead a group.
    2. You don't want other players in your favorite spot -- most will do their daily and move onto the next one.
    3. You don't want to have to do stuff daily -- you don't have to do them

Can anyone else think of some pros and cons?

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    There are already a considerable number of quests in the game, and I don't feel that a sandbox game should revolve around quests.

Not hard to implement?  Could you list out just what you think would be involved in the process? Because I think it would take a considerable amount of work to come up with the ideas, design the process, code the steps, check it all worked as intended, didn't cause a knock-on effect anywhere else, balance the rewards. etc, etc etc.

As far as I know, there's no actual list. I'm sure if I've missed anyone, or mis-remembered their actual role, someone will step in and correct me. 

As far as I know we have: Bonnie Armstrong aka Mesanna, producer. Michael Armstong, aka Misk QA. Stephen Brown aka Bleak, software engineer, Greg Havlusch, Designer? and an artist whose name I sadly don't remember and who I believe prefers to remain in the background.
    The idea at core still remains that daily rewards have proven to be a very popular concept for many games, as a fair amount of posters pointed out in the other thread.

If you want to make it happen with least effort possible, you could put an NPC in some city that gives out three quests per day, randomly chosen from a list of different things. Then you accumulate some point value like cleanup points and can claim rewards based on that.

Do you play any games besides UO?
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    JollyJade said:

The idea at core still remains that daily rewards have proven to be a very popular concept for many games, as a fair amount of posters pointed out in the other thread.

If you want to make it happen with least effort possible, you could put an NPC in some city that gives out three quests per day, randomly chosen from a list of different things. Then you accumulate some point value like cleanup points and can claim rewards based on that.

I like this idea...

the NPC could be at Britain commons

Quest Examples:
            slay 10 raptors
            slay Medusa
            slay The Great Ape

Kinda like killing Peerless Bosses or creatures that spawn from tmaps...

And like @JollyJade suggested, rewards based on the difficulty of these.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Quest Examples:
            slay 10 raptors
            slay Medusa
            slay The Great Ape      
    We would like that on LS.  There are plenty of Mobs that a player can solo or do as a group.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    The other thing is, there are hundreds of quests completely fine for this already in the game: http://www.uoguide.com/List_of_Quests

It just lacks that next step of having them centralized easy access and rewards worth working towards. Nobody in his right mind is going to Heartwood doing the slay quests for a couple bag of trinkets.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • JollyJade said:
    The other thing is, there are hundreds of quests completely fine for this already in the game: http://www.uoguide.com/List_of_Quests

It just lacks that next step of having them centralized easy access and rewards worth working towards. Nobody in his right mind is going to Heartwood doing the slay quests for a couple bag of trinkets.
    Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about before. While this was okay for the time; well let's be honest, even back when they weren't worth the effort.

The daily quests would take out the rng factor of getting new recipes, streamline where to get the quests and keep old and new content from becoming deserted. 

• JollyJade said:

I like this idea...

the NPC could be at Britain commons

Quest Examples:
            slay 10 raptors
            slay Medusa
            slay The Great Ape

Kinda like killing Peerless Bosses or creatures that spawn from tmaps...

And like @ JollyJade suggested, rewards based on the difficulty of these.

Oh nice, these are great ideas. :)