Mariah, would it be possible to "expand" the Artifacts and Collection pages ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited October 2019 in Skills and Stats
Dear @Mariah ; ,

at the Magic Item Properties page ( https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/magic-item-properties/ ) at the very botton, there is the 3 Links for the extremely usefull references

- Artifact & Collection Damage Increase items
https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/magic-item-properties/artifact-collection-damage-increase-items/

- Artifact & Collection Luck items
https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/magic-item-properties/artifact-collection-luck-items/

and

- Artifact & Collection Spell Damage Increase items
https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/magic-item-properties/artifact-collection-spell-damage-increase-items/

Which you kindly did for players in February 2019.

Would it be possible, please, to expand these Database Links with similar listings for any and all other Artifacts carrying Properties other then Damage Increase, Luck and Spell Damage Increase ?

I am sure that having such a Database available for all Properties carrying Artifacts would be enormously beneficial for players....

Thanks !

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited October 2019
    I did those three because they were deemed to be the most useful.  I am not willing to make a page for all 80+ possible magic properties, however I will expand the feature for some key properties if players will tell me which they most need. It is not a 'five minute job'.

Bear in mind, from my point of view this is 'make work'.  It is not providing new information, it is simply re-hashing information that is already there. I must carry out a search of the wiki, exactly the same as anyone else could do, but then instead of simply looking through the results to see which piece will suit their needs, I must compile a table listing all possible results.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    @Mariah

Yes, it is information already there but the usefullness is, that it is all concentrated in one page per property....

Another possible way to get this done, could be to have the UO Wiki database be searchable by "property"....

For example, say that a player needs to find out all of the existing Artifacts which carry Lower Reagent Cost and have them listed in one "Output Table" for that search, they would enter in the UO Wiki searchable Database "Lower Reagent Cost" or "LRC", and the search engine would turn out any and all existing Artifacts in the game which carry Lower Reagent Cost....

And the same, of course, for any and all other Properties....

Which one addition, the ability to search existing items for a property, basically all Magic Properties Artifcats existing in Ultima Online would be possible to be found by players in one same Table....

Would that be feasible to do ?
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    the wiki database only returns pages, not individual entries on those pages. I wouldn't know where to start to do what you ask, even if I had access to radically change the wiki's functionality in that way, which I don't.

If I search for Lower Reagent Cost - and I would include -publish in the criteria, that would give me all pages that have that text on them. I then must access each page, pick out the items that conform (using the browser's find on this page function) and list them on a page

All but the listing can be done by anyone else who looks at the wiki, and most would do it that way anyway before realising the pages you are asking for exist.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    popps said:
    @ Mariah

Yes, it is information already there but the usefullness is, that it is all concentrated in one page per property....

Another possible way to get this done, could be to have the UO Wiki database be searchable by "property"....

For example, say that a player needs to find out all of the existing Artifacts which carry Lower Reagent Cost and have them listed in one "Output Table" for that search, they would enter in the UO Wiki searchable Database "Lower Reagent Cost" or "LRC", and the search engine would turn out any and all existing Artifacts in the game which carry Lower Reagent Cost....

Which one addition, the ability to search existing items for a property, basically all Magic Properties Artifcats existing in Ultima Online would be possible to be found by players in one same Table....

@popps

Why don’t you get started creating the item property data base.  Be sure to include all the artifacts, both present and past.  It would also be useful if you would include all the properties associated with both the new loot prefixes and suffixes so I know what properties and intensity ranges are possible for looted items.  Be sure to include caps for each loot drop level (minor to legendary) as well.  Oh, and do reforging too.  And Runic crafting.  

Once you get it all done we can ask to have it loaded and searchable on the Wiki.  Be prepared to maintain it though.  Every publish with a change or new item will need to be updated by you.
  • Agree! Get started popps!

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    @ Mariah

@ popps

Why don’t you get started creating the item property data base.  Be sure to include all the artifacts, both present and past.  It would also be useful if you would include all the properties associated with both the new loot prefixes and suffixes so I know what properties and intensity ranges are possible for looted items.  Be sure to include caps for each loot drop level (minor to legendary) as well.  Oh, and do reforging too.  And Runic crafting.  

Once you get it all done we can ask to have it loaded and searchable on the Wiki.  Be prepared to maintain it though.  Every publish with a change or new item will need to be updated by you.
    I would imagine that, if done using the internal Database of items that Broadsword I imagine has, it would take much less time as compared to a player who would have to go "pick" all of the Artifacts one at a time....

What I am trying to say, is that while doing it using the already existing game Database of items it would be reasonable to do, if a player wanted to do it, it would take days and days, perhaps weeks of their time....

It is not efficient nor reasonable to expect a player to spend countless time doing something which would take, presumably, very little time when done "in-house" .....
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    If you anyone ever does this, please do the community a favor and do it on uoguide. @Mariah
    is already stating she can't handle the work herself and on uoguide every possible future player can manage changes if needed. You need to remember the wiki on uo.com is run by a single person mostly. Even if popps wanted to maintain it, he couldn't.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited October 2019
    Would also help if the items on those pages stated what slot they were for, but since nobody can add this, I got to beg: can you please add that @Mariah

http://www.uoguide.com/Spell_Damage_Increase

You can see what I mean by scrolling down to "SDI Items".

TY!
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    edited October 2019
    popps said:
    Merus said:
    popps said:
    @ Mariah

@ popps

I would imagine that, if done using the internal Database of items that Broadsword I imagine has, it would take much less time as compared to a player who would have to go "pick" all of the Artifacts one at a time....

What I am trying to say, is that while doing it using the already existing game Database of items it would be reasonable to do, if a player wanted to do it, it would take days and days, perhaps weeks of their time....

It is not efficient nor reasonable to expect a player to spend countless time doing something which would take, presumably, very little time when done "in-house" .....
    You’re operating under the assumption that items are in a database.  They aren’t.

When a Tangle drops the game doesn’t say “drop artifact XYZ”... it says create apron with property x, property y, property z, with hue 2356.

Its why you get the same item ID from a Tangle and an NPC bought apron.

What your asking is for someone else to do the exact same work that you think is too much effort.