MYUO , does it even work ?

I was Looking at the MYUO-2 (Beta) https://uo.com/myuo-2/#/search and, while it provides Characters upon searching it, the informations about the characters' Skills (which the old MYUO would give) and what they are currently wearing, is totally missing...

Is it even working ?

I mean, some skills show up but they are not the actual, current skills, and what the character was last wearing is not even showing up at all....

Does anyone have any informations whether MYUO-2 is still a "Work-In-Progress" and will be further enhanced with more informations about the characters being searched provided ?

@Mariah , @Kyronix , @Bleak , is it possible to kindly have more informations on the actual Status of the MYUO-2 ?

Thanks !

Comments

• KitiaraKitiara Posts: 63
    I'm interested in a status update on this as well.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited October 2019
    @Lord_British

Thanks for the Link, was not aware of it.

Reading it, though, I read a post mentioning some issues with new Laws protecting gamers ( https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/24026/#Comment_24026 ) ...

I am not sure that I understand....

MYUO, gives only informations about fictional, in-game characters so, how would that in any way be able to open up for privacy concerns for real people in the real world ?

UO Characters are non existing, fictional, in-game characters.... I do not get it.

Could someone please explain this to me ?

Thanks !
  • Well, I am also very disappointed and confused. 
    But as you can see, MyUO was already borked when the topic was started in Feb-2018, I would even say before the law thingy was established. 
    The only thing they did since then was shutting down MyUO.

The law thing is nonsense in my opinion ... but what do I know? Maybe other games where this is not a problem ? ....

It would have been better to tell upfront that they won't update it anymore and that they focus on other stuff, instead of letting people wait for years without an update.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    edited October 2019
    The law thing was just an excuse, err, reason for it not being fixed.

You know, like old code, spaghetti code, lost notebooks, etc etc.

Or...perhaps MYUO's dev time has been changed to work on that new improved smoothflowing account management page?

I dunno. :/
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
      Pretty sure this has to do with the European laws regarding privacy.  Another game I play has the examine character feature that is the real time in game equal to my UO except much more detailed.  I don't remember when exactly but it has been a few years back. That game added the OPT OUT feature to the Examine Character feature preventing other players from seeing any information about the character other than a basic avatar.

Just grabbed this quick screenshot.  Here is a character that has not opted out and a vast amount of information is available about his character in that upper left corner console, right down to what he is doing at the moment.  You can get a good gauge of a players wealth by looking at that information. Acct hackers like to have their bots hang around the bank and log that information and use it to determine the most lucrative targets to hack and strip the accts for RMT  sales.  Scammers hang around the banks using that information to pick the most lucrative people to run the latest scams on. 

The lower right console is my character information and I have my skill screen up. It is one of the things you can see in the examine character options.  My skills are all maxed (Other than the handful that they raised the skill cap to 120 on).  I opt out of the examine character feature so the only thing that can be seen of my character when examined is a generic avatar.  When being examined if tabs clicked in the upper left console are clicked the message "This player has enabled privacy" displays.  Why? because I am very lucrative target for acct hacking.  No one has that many 99 skills in this game without being wealthy.  Being able to see my acct age in combination with my skills makes me even more lucrative.  A pre public release account will be a treasure trove for the hackers.  IE 21 years worth of rares, elite items and massive amounts of gold in the banks. 

I was quite happy that they were forced to add the OPT OUT feature to the examine character feature. 

The privacy is as much to protect your in game assets, which have real $$$ value.  This particular game I use every security option there is to protect the old accounts.  Like 2 step log in verification, 2 step Email verification and a couple of other tools for identity and acct protection.  And keeping my privacy on so no one can see more than a generic avatar. 

Very simply nothing about anyone elses accts, skills, log ins, or characters is anyone else's business unless the acct owner wants it to be everyone else's business.

Why do you need to know any of that?  Notice I asked why you NEED to, NOT why you want to.  From my perspective other player should only be able to know as much about your characters as you are willing to share.  Why should someone be able to sit there going through myuo searching a character and know how many Tyraths on how many shards there are and what their skills and their last log ins were?   Say your acct does get hacked, the information available on myuo  narrowes down the shards to search for things on and which characters are most likely to have the stuff to steal stuff from.  And then there is the plain fact IT IS JUST NOT YER BUSINESS if I DON'T WANT IT TO BE YER BUSINESS :)   So why do you feel you need to be able to sit there and see what is going on with other folks accounts?  You don't have enough enough business of yer own to mind, that you need to keep up with everyone else's?

I am fine with there being a MyUo so long as it give me and anyone else the option to opt out of it that don't want to participate in it.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Well said Tyrath.
    There is a big difference between want to know and need to know. So how would the info on MyUO improve your game experience before we start pushing the developers to spend resources on fixing it. 

And yes in Canada a game company would be stupid not to run something like MyUO by the lawyers $$$$ before turning it on. In Europe it would be even more important to do so.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    When it was on, I used it to find people I used to play with.
    Cause it would say when they were last on.
    There are lot of people who don't use General Chat or any chat at all.
    So its nice to know if your old friends are around and you just keep missing them.

Also some people don't run around with their guild tags showing, so its nice to know sometimes what guild they are in. 

And just recently I was gathering tokens on a shard and was chatting with people in General Chat. People were asking if it really was me, cause mine had the number 2 with it. the one with number 1 was also me, but I wasn't using her to talk.

I think we should be able to see the chars paperdoll but not what the outfits stats are. But I think the skills should not be shown. Everyone knows i'm a tamer, but they don't need to know the rest of my skills...
    edited October 2019
    @Tim and @Tyrath

I am sorry, but I still do not get it why seeing someone else's in-game character's in detail through a MYUO-2 might have anything to do with privacy issues....

In-game characters are non-existing, FICTIONAL characters and, it was my understanding, privacy issues deal with real, live people in the real world.

The argument that items might have a real life value to my humble opinion I do not see why it would make a privacy argument for in-game, non existing fictional characters more valid....

Aside from the fact that lots of games prohibit the sale of in-game items for real money, I do not understand why a real value for items which are still non-existant, fictional, unreal, would bring on motifs to make privacy laws which affect real life people in the real world more valid for in-game, non-existing fictional characters.....

I just fail to understand the "why" of it.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited October 2019
    popps said:
    @ Tim and @ Tyrath

I am sorry, but I still do not get it why seeing someone else's in-game character's in detail through a MYUO-2 might have anything to do with privacy issues....

In-game characters are non-existing, FICTIONAL characters and, it was my understanding, privacy issues deal with real, live people in the real world.

The argument that items might have a real life value to my humble opinion I do not see why it would make a privacy argument for in-game, non existing fictional characters more valid....

Aside from the fact that lots of games prohibit the sale of in-game items for real money, I do not understand why a real value for items which are still non-existant, fictional, unreal, would bring on motifs to make privacy laws which affect real life people in the real world more valid for in-game, non-existing fictional characters.....

Off the top of my head a real world male who only plays female characters living where even the hint of being gay could get you killed or fired.

There are probably other situations that make them sharing your information with out your express permission problematic. So better to leave well enough alone and save the money unless there is a real reason to do otherwise.

There is nothing stopping you from setting up your own web site with your info or even have a ready link to your face book page. That would be sharing by your choice and under your control.
    Not that I would recommend that anyone have anything to do with face book.

Edited to add
    Remember most western employers and and some government agencies (US customs) demand access to your online info.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    popps said:
    @ Tim and @ Tyrath

Guess I just fail to understand what drives you to believe anyone else's business in game should be there and available for you to view.  AS it is and more and more laws are backing this.... My business or anyone else's business in a game is NOT yer business unless I or anyone else want to share it and make it yer business.   Not a damn thing about other peoples character that you need to know, more so if that person does not want you know.               
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I really miss MY UO during October - it made getting the bones to people so much easier. I didnt have to keep asking - "Is So and So in your guild? I thought they were?"
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    @popps how about because the LAW says so no matter what you believe.
    Bilbo said:
    @ popps how about because the LAW says so no matter what you believe.
    Personally, I am of the idea that if the "logic" of a Law is made clear to people, perhaps people would respect that law more willingfully as compared to merely "obeying" to a law because one has to.....

What I am trying to understand here, is the "logic" of why there could or should be privacy concerns about totally non-existant, fictional and not real in-game characters when, is my understanding, privacy is meant to protect real, live people....

That a non-existant, fictional in game character has reached a given skill level, or wears a given item or is played along side with this or that other fictional, not real in game character, how could, making these strictly in game informations available to other players through something like MYUO, open up to privacy concerns towards players ?

Furthermore, couldn't perhaps games TOSes be integrated with players' acceptances of having their in-game informations be possible to be shared with fellow players through something like MYUO, in the case of Ultima Online, if they want to continue playing that game ?

If they do not want their strictly in-game informations to be shared with other players of that game, they can stop playing that game....

Still, I do not understand how something relating to fictional, non existing game characters might have anything to do with real people and their right to privacy...

It is beyond my ability to understand it because so far I have not found any explaination that could make me really understand it.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    *holds back all the responses that are flooding thru my mind after reading that last line*
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    If that myUO is supposed to be used it need to:
    1: updated
    2: add url to uo.com, not hide it like it is today.

If there is privacy issues europa or usa then make a post about it so players dont have to ask all the time about the same.  Also you could make a page like the old faction guild pages, with points, guilds, whos part of vvv etc, or is that a privacy issue also? Also the Arena in Occlo or lost lands, its players listed and points, that could also be outputted into a webpage pr shard. (for this to happen list need to be cleaned though, and remove duplicates caused by character xfers)

• KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    Short explanation.

There is no opt-out feature which is part of the EU's requirements.

Granted, the service itself it is scraping data about "fictional" characters in a game, but the activity of those characters relate to the privacy rights of the real-person - namely their online activity. Without an opt-out feature, the MyUO thing is "broken".

Just as in e-commerce - any online activity must be covered by privacy laws for the real-person with opt-in or opt-out capability. Should read the TOS, P&U, and other legal pages of online retailers.... some of it is downright amazing in relation to the depths of information being collected.

UO is an elaborate e-commerce situation with subscription, micro-transactions, and more. Without complying with certain laws and requirements, well, the game would cease to exist. This is part of the reason official RMT is done through EA's Origin store - EA has the legal team and funds to ensure compliance - BS doesn't have that kind of revenue.

Someone told me the "success" of a civilization is based on how litigious it can get... or is that the failure of a civilization?

Plus there are those issues related to shard crashes...
    edited October 2019
    Kirthag said:
    Short explanation.

There is no opt-out feature which is part of the EU's requirements.

Granted, the service itself it is scraping data about "fictional" characters in a game, but the activity of those characters relate to the privacy rights of the real-person - namely their online activity. Without an opt-out feature, the MyUO thing is "broken".

Just as in e-commerce - any online activity must be covered by privacy laws for the real-person with opt-in or opt-out capability. Should read the TOS, P&U, and other legal pages of online retailers.... some of it is downright amazing in relation to the depths of information being collected.

UO is an elaborate e-commerce situation with subscription, micro-transactions, and more. Without complying with certain laws and requirements, well, the game would cease to exist. This is part of the reason official RMT is done through EA's Origin store - EA has the legal team and funds to ensure compliance - BS doesn't have that kind of revenue.

Someone told me the "success" of a civilization is based on how litigious it can get... or is that the failure of a civilization?

Plus there are those issues related to shard crashes...
    Granted, the service itself it is scraping data about "fictional" characters in a game, but the activity of those characters relate to the privacy rights of the real-person - namely their online activity. Without an opt-out feature, the MyUO thing is "broken".

So, if I understand it correctly (please, correct me if I understood it as wrong), the privacy concern towards the real, existing players could be related to their logging in time into the game being shown to others ?

But if one does not know "who" the real player is that controls a given character, how could this be of concern ? I still do not understand....

Let me make an example to make myself better understood.

A player X, has an UO account and plays with the fictional, in game character Y.

Player Z, who plays with character W in the game, knows about character Y because his/her character W in the game, interacts with character Y.

Yet, player Z has NO CLUE that character Y is controlled by player X.

So, "even if" player Z was to know the login times for character Y through the MYUO web site, how on earth could they "connect" that login times for character Y in the game with the actual, real life player X of whom they do not know anything about ?

Please, bear with me, likely I am stupid but I simply do not understand it.....

But "even if" there were privacy concerns connected to the login times of characters into the game, why couldn't MYUO simply do not display the login times/frequency of that given character ?

At that point, this would not be an information made available to other players UNLESS a player was to specifically permit such information to be made available to other players.

It beats me, though, how could then a player link a fictional, not real in-game character to a live person existing in the real world.....

But, by taking out the characters' in-game login times, all data made available by MYUO would be strictly about the fictional, not real in-game character and there would be no link whatsoever to the online activity of a live, real player.

Not sure if I was able to explain well my perplexities and why I keep not being able to understand....
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    To the best of my knowledge 'privacy' has never been officially given as a reason for this function being unavailable. What has been given is a detrimental affect on shard stability.
    Beyond that I can only offer speculation, which it is not my place to do.
    In answer to the question
    MYUO , does it even work ?
    The answer is 'no, it does not'.
This discussion has been closed.