Clarification Regarding Charybdis Hunt

I'm hearing conflicting info on this. And info that certainly makes this hunt less appealing, nonsensical really, if true. Can anyone help me sort the facts from possibly erroneous rumors with this?...

* If you use the crafted Oracle of the Sea do you still need to do a monger quest that yields the Charybdis bait before you'll have success at finding it?

* It takes a group to fight Charybdis but the fisher is the only one in group that get the drop?

So you get a group together to fight and the only person who has a chance at getting...
Recipe for the generic version of the Dagger Belt
Recipe for the generic version of the Elegant Collar
Hungry Coconut Crab Statuette
Captain’s Hearty Rum
Leurocian’s Mempo of Fortune
...is the fisher in the group?

That can't be right.

Comments

• FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    I haven't done Charybdis yet (ever), but I can't imagine you'd have to complete a fish monger quest that yields the bait when it's now craftable. That seems a bit ridiculous.

Best I can find for the other part is from the wiki:

"The fisherman has a guaranteed drop of an item of Virtuous or Villainous armor, in addition the corpse will contain rare fish steaks as well as gold and some magic items. New rewards were added during publish 106"
  • Thanks Faeryl. I've not done the hunt before either. I know there's always been both the oracle and the bait before. Whether both those items were needed to do the hunt before or not I don't know. I just know that players I consider very knowledgeable about the game, and fishing quests in particular, are under the impression the bait is still needed as well as the oracle (crafted or otherwise). 

I'm also told it's tough to beat Charybdis without a decent size group and it's really tough on the ship's health. So it's unlikely I'd be able to try this with just my husband and I. Unfortunately because of the perception of how this hunt goes there doesn't seem to be any interest in it on my shard thus far.

I hope we can get more info here. I think people will be more interested if they find out there is a chance at a drop of the new content for everyone doing the hunt together. If it's as some fear, and only the fisher has a chance, then I don't think this is going to get off the ground and into the water. 

@Kyronix ?

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Found this in another post:

"Lol it was still fun. Wow I do not see how that is a solo fisherman encounter.

The fisherman gave me the helmet. Very nice color. I would love the set. 

I recruited her in chat. Yes we went there with no fisherman. She was fishing for 5 min till the Oracle owner gave her bait. In the meantime others were telling her she had to equip the pole and Oracle.

Was a big mess of fun. "
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    If you go the crafting route for the oracle of the sea/bait you do not need the questing counterparts.

The drop scheme for Charybdis gives a random reward to the fisher who pulled charybdis up, or, if they are not around (i.e they left) it is given to a random top attacker from the charybdis top attacker list, which is such a misnomer we should stop using it - from henceforth i'm going to call it the "worthy participant" list - damage dealt, damage received, and damage healed will rank you on the worthy participant list.

This is the original implementation of the drop scheme for Charybdis - why it was done that way I cannot speak to as the content predates me.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    Hm... so... if a 120 fisher summons Charybdis, and the party sails out to it and the fisher logs out or leaves, then one random member of the group has a guaranteed chance for a drop?
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    LilyGrace said:

* It takes a group to fight Charybdis but the fisher is the only one in group that get the drop?

So you get a group together to fight and the only person who has a chance at getting...
    Captain’s Hearty Rum

That can't be right.

That’s why you do charybdis either with people you trust or by yourself.

on Chesapeake there was a public Charybdis hunt by one of the Governors a while back, the fisherman kept the prize, not even offering it up to the attendees.  

Kyronix said:
    from the charybdis top attacker list, which is such a misnomer we should stop using it - from henceforth i'm going to call it the "worthy participant" list 
    That’s much better wording for people, imo.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    LilyGrace said:
    I'm hearing conflicting info on this. And info that certainly makes this hunt less appealing, nonsensical really, if true. Can anyone help me sort the facts from possibly erroneous rumors with this?...

* If you use the crafted Oracle of the Sea do you still need to do a monger quest that yields the Charybdis bait before you'll have success at finding it?

Captain’s Hearty Rum

That can't be right.

It does is right, instead, because without the Fisherman there would be no Charybdis to start with.....

Suggestions....

1) - Take turns in the group to summon Charybdis ?

2) - Discuss with the Fisherman before actually doing the hunt how to handle the drops....

It was about time that Fishermen got some love, fighters get it ALL THE TIME..... there is PLENTY of content and drops (including EM Events) which fighters can do and get, what do Fishermen have that they can do and get as drops ?

It SURE is VERY right, to my opinion..... it was about time that Fishermen had some Love addressed at them.....
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Charybdis drops have always been this way - nothing was changed to "give love to fishermen". If they loved us, they would fix bait suits and let the crab traps stack upon emptying.

And again, find my post with my fisher's template - she can fight any boss, survive and get drops.
  • asunaasuna Posts: 35
    i just put fishing on my trampire for hosting but it has had no loot or disappeared all 5 times iv fought it since the publish, no loot once for anyone .  
  • @Violet , that was basically the thought I expressed in chat. Decide before you go out whose turn it is for the drop. The fisher gives the prize to the designated player. You could also be with a group and do enough runs so everyone gets a chance to bring their fisher.

That's all well and good, @popps , unless your fisher doesn't have anyone to help go on the hunt with and they're not able to solo.

Between how tough it used to be to scare this monster up and how the drops work, to me, it explains why it's not done often. I'm not saying I should be able to take my fisher out and solo Charybdis. But I made the assumption everyone fighting had a chance at a drop. Unlike Popps, I'm not so worried that my fisher feel the love. I'd rather everyone look in their pack to see if they got a drop.
  • OMG @Marge, don't get me started on lobster/crab traps. 
    But is there a drop every single time (barring the current bug) or is it RNG for the fisher as well?
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    edited September 2019
    There is a drop every single time.

as for the bug some people seem to be experiencing, can’t say we’ve encountered it and we’ve done Charybdis 20ish times since patch, and have had a drop every single time.
    An item from Charybdis's treasure list is always awarded, assuming there is someone to award it to, otherwise the treasure is placed on the corpse.
    LilyGrace said:
    @ Violet , that was basically the thought I expressed in chat. Decide before you go out whose turn it is for the drop. The fisher gives the prize to the designated player. You could also be with a group and do enough runs so everyone gets a chance to bring their fisher.

That's all well and good, @ popps , unless your fisher doesn't have anyone to help go on the hunt with and they're not able to solo.

Between how tough it used to be to scare this monster up and how the drops work, to me, it explains why it's not done often. I'm not saying I should be able to take my fisher out and solo Charybdis. But I made the assumption everyone fighting had a chance at a drop. Unlike Popps, I'm not so worried that my fisher feel the love. I'd rather everyone look in their pack to see if they got a drop.
    The problem is, that while fighters have plenty of fighting grounds to go get their hundreds, thousands of drops, may I ask how many options do Fishermen have when they also have to invest 100-120 skill points in fishing and, thus, always be a "lesser" fighter as those who, instead, can use those 100-120 skill points for some fighting skill which help them better survive the fight and get a drop ?

I frankly do not understand why any and ALL content should cater to fighters and fighters only....

I see it as important to have content and drops that were to ALSO favour "non-fighting" Templates or Templates which, having to invest skill points in non-fighting skills, cannot be "as" an effective fighter as those Templates who invested all of their skill points in Fighting skills....

And, as I said, without a Fisherman there would be no Charybdis to summon in the first place so, yes, I see it as right that the Fisherman was to get a drop "more often" as those others participating in the fight....
    Thanks for the info, that actually encourages me to get a group together.
  • asunaasuna Posts: 35
    @popps just put fishing on your fighter and adapt to the changes thats what most have done already.
  • GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    popps said:
    I frankly do not understand why any and ALL content should cater to fighters and fighters only....

So your fisher has 120 fishing only and all other skills are locked? How do you manage to kill sea serpents?
    Gidge said:
    popps said:

So your fisher has 120 fishing only and all other skills are locked? How do you manage to kill sea serpents?
    There is different levels of fighting..... one thing is average fighting like to deal with sea serpents and similar spawn and another one, entirely, is having to deal with higher end foes.

While a crafter, fisherman etc. can likely deal with lower spawn with their non-combat suits and skills, they hardly can deal with, at least not in the same capacity, with the higher end spawn which dedicated fighters usually deal with.
    popps said:

There is different levels of fighting..... one thing is average fighting like to deal with sea serpents and similar spawn and another one, entirely, is having to deal with higher end foes.

While a crafter, fisherman etc. can likely deal with lower spawn with their non-combat suits and skills, they hardly can deal with, at least not in the same capacity, with the higher end spawn which dedicated fighters usually deal with.

• TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    Just an example  120 fishing, 120 mage, 120 eval, 120 Med  120 spellweaving  and still another 120 points to spend. 

Or 120 Fishing, 120 tame, 120 lore, 120 vet, 120 archery  120 tactics and some jeweled up chiv or bushi.

Someone should spend some time figuring out what they can do instead of dwelling on what they perceive they can't do.
  • Kyronix said:
    If you go the crafting route for the oracle of the sea/bait you do not need the questing counterparts.

The drop scheme for Charybdis gives a random reward to the fisher who pulled charybdis up, or, if they are not around (i.e they left) it is given to a random top attacker from the charybdis top attacker list, which is such a misnomer we should stop using it - from henceforth i'm going to call it the "worthy participant" list - damage dealt, damage received, and damage healed will rank you on the worthy participant list.

This is the original implementation of the drop scheme for Charybdis - why it was done that way I cannot speak to as the content predates me.  Thanks for the feedback!
    And after not being shy to "change" other systems (tmaps, dark guardian room, ...) that predate your time on UO, this one was a no touch? For once, it would have been for the better!
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
    edited September 2019
    JollyJade said:
    Kyronix said:

And after not being shy to "change" other systems (tmaps, dark guardian room, ...) that predate your time on UO, this one was a no touch? For once, it would have been for the better!
    I am pointing out that I don't know WHY it was done that way - as it predates me.  As to whether we would change it - depends on the discussion.  Putting an emphasis on the fisherman is in line with the theme of the encounter, but adding loot to all those who are worthy participants would go a long way in balancing the risk vs reward.  
    edited September 2019
    Kyronix said:
    JollyJade said:
    Kyronix said:

I am pointing out that I don't know WHY it was done that way - as it predates me.  As to whether we would change it - depends on the discussion.  Putting an emphasis on the fisherman is in line with the theme of the encounter, but adding loot to all those who are worthy participants would go a long way in balancing the risk vs reward.  
    That is the Fisherman who gets the drops, makes all sense to me since, if it wasn't for the Fisherman's work, Charybdis would not even spawn....

So, I find it very right that it is the Fisherman to get the drops.

That said, players inthe group can then make their preferred arrangements in taking turns to summon Charybdis with their Fisherman, make agreement prior to the hunt on which character would get the drop etc. etc.

But it is perfectly rightfull, as I see it, that the Fisherman gets the drops to respect his/her fundamental role in summoning Charybdis......
    The current system essentially rules out pick-up groups. It also means that the players must trust their fisher to offer up the drop they just got, and not bring along some old Epiphany piece or something in case they get one of the new items. An in-game dice roll that involves everyone is more likely to encourage random folks to group up, and less likely to cause suspicion and strife among friends and guild mates.

That said, however, I would prefer the current system over adding an RNG factor where the dice can roll zero for everyone. So if that means only one, predicable, person gets the guaranteed drop, then so be it. Just please keep it so at least ONE drop is guaranteed for the effort involved.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Being a predominantly solo player, I will never be in favor of a single drop from a group event.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    It currently says...so and so got a drop, so if they just added what it was, that would be an easy way to deter swappers.
  • FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    Would it be difficult for it to work as is with the fisher getting a guaranteed drop if they remain, and it going to the corpse if they leave, but also adding a roll for a chance of another drop for the rest of the group?
    Tanager said:
    The current system essentially rules out pick-up groups. It also means that the players must trust their fisher to offer up the drop they just got, and not bring along some old Epiphany piece or something in case they get one of the new items. An in-game dice roll that involves everyone is more likely to encourage random folks to group up, and less likely to cause suspicion and strife among friends and guild mates.

That said, however, I would prefer the current system over adding an RNG factor where the dice can roll zero for everyone. So if that means only one, predicable, person gets the guaranteed drop, then so be it. Just please keep it so at least ONE drop is guaranteed for the effort involved.
    I cannot stop noting though, that if it was not for the Fisherman's efforts and work, there would be no Charybdis hunt to start with and, consequentially, no drops from Charybdis....

Players need to trust the Fisherman in the group ?

Why not turn around the question then, and wonder why should then the Fisherman need to trust the players in the group after being him, the Fisherman, the one that made the Charybdis hunt possible in the first place ?

One way of the other one wants to see it, the fact remains that the Hunt for Charybdis and its consequentially drop exist because a Fisherman made the effort and put in the skill to make that possible....
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    popps said:

Players need to trust the Fisherman in the group ?

? should be .

People need to trust people they hunt with. Period.