UOSA.exe Process - No Game Window

Hello, I was hoping to reach out to the community to see if any other users have experienced a similar issue. The UO & my hardware vendor support teams haven't been able to identify a solution.

When trying to launch the UO Enhanced Client on my machine, the UOAC.exe process is created and you can view it in task manager/process explorer, but the game window is never instantiated.

If you've had a similar experience I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

The experience is similar to this post from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultimaonline/comments/7zk6u3/enhanced_client_wont_start/?st=jufrtwrh&sh=4466fdfa

Thank you,

Bombur - Sonoma

Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur!

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

Which operating system Win 7, Win 8, Win 10?
    32 bit or 64 bit operation system?
    Have you tried alt-tabing to see if the window comes up?
    Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the client from scratch?
    Have you looked at the file's compatibility properties to see if any of them have been set?
    Have you tried running Microsoft's DirectX's diagnostic tool: dxdiag?

• BomburBombur Posts: 14
    Hi TimSt,

I appreciate the reply. I've gone through several dozen iterations of suggested troubleshooting steps with Broadsword, NVidia, and MSI. Rather than providing information for trouble shooting steps, I was hoping to hear from users who have already experienced the same issue and found a resolution.

That being, I will paste some basic system information in hopes someone may have some information pertaining to a valuable resolution.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
    System Model: MS-7A95
    BIOS: 1.20 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7980XE CPU @ 2.60GHz (36 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Memory: 131072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 130750MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Installation Directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced
    Documents Directory:
    C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss

Thank you!

Bombur
    Just trying to narrow down the behavior to see if it similar to another issue I've seen.

Does the app appear on the task bar?  Or is it only showing up in the task manager?
    When the other people were helping you did they have you change the resolution of your monitor to see if the game's window was so far off screen as to make it appear as not showing up at all?

Have you tried running it in Admin mode?

Only two threads appear, the Main Thread, and another associated with InputHost.dll; Spy++ shows no window handles, no child processes, no parent processes.

Process explorer corroborates a two TID running at high integrity with no associated Window Title.

The working machines we tested with show around 30 associated threads; and will always have a Window Title, something along the lines of 'Ultima Online Sygiant Abyss %datetime%'.

Wow. They had you use Spy++.  That is taking the investigation strongly.

Did they have you run the windows system file checker to see if there was a problem with your windows installation?

Did they have you uninstall and reinstall DirectX to see if it's diagnostic tool missed something? I've had that happen.

After that point I would use a debugger like WinDBG or Visual Studio to debug the issue.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Bombur said:
    Hi TimSt,

I appreciate the reply. I've gone through several dozen iterations of suggested troubleshooting steps with Broadsword, NVidia, and MSI. Rather than providing information for trouble shooting steps, I was hoping to hear from users who have already experienced the same issue and found a resolution.

That being, I will paste some basic system information in hopes someone may have some information pertaining to a valuable resolution.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
    System Model: MS-7A95
    BIOS: 1.20 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7980XE CPU @ 2.60GHz (36 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Memory: 131072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 130750MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Installation Directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced
    Documents Directory:
    C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss

Thank you!

Bombur
    Wow, 128GB RAM ?

That's a whole lot....

If I can ask, what Model MSI is it ? Desktop or Laptop ?

As in regards the issue that you are having, I am no tech, but I seem to recall that sometimes, when "older" software gets run on newer, faster computer, issues can arise preventing that software to run and some third party programs to "slow down" the Computer are needed to be run to slow town the speed of the machine to a level which the executable of the Program can better handle....

Not sure if this is the case or not with the Ultima Online Enhanced Client executable, just saying that I recall something like that sometimes to get mentioned when older software is wanted to be run on newer, much faster machines (I see that your rig also has a RTX 2080 Ti....).
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    Bombur said:
    Hello, I was hoping to reach out to the community to see if any other users have experienced a similar issue. The UO & my hardware vendor support teams haven't been able to identify a solution.

When trying to launch the UO Enhanced Client on my machine, the UOAC.exe process is created and you can view it in task manager/process explorer, but the game window is never instantiated.

If you've had a similar experience I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

The experience is similar to this post from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultimaonline/comments/7zk6u3/enhanced_client_wont_start/?st=jufrtwrh&sh=4466fdfa

Thank you,

Bombur - Sonoma

Had this happen to me before

do this and see if it fixes the problem

Go into your file manager and rename the 'ultima online stygian abyss' folder (in the ea games)

ie c:/ documents/eagames/ ..........ultima online sygian abyss..........

to something else completely then start the game again. I renamed my folder 'renamed sa' then logged in again and it worked first time and stopped insta closing the client before it loaded.  If you have been running the client already you can copy back in your user data from the save file

Let me know either way the result.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate the consideration.

DISM and System File Checker tools return a clean bill of health; reformatting was also unsuccessful. 

The mother board model is MS-7A95, it is an ATX board. 

Unfortunately renaming the data folder has proven unsuccessful.

Attaching  to a debugger is a good suggestion,  admittedly, I generally cannot gleen anything from disassembly; decompiling would likely be a great route, but disassemble and decompile are both prohibited by the EULA.
  • Start some virtual machines to play it or buy a 300$ pc.
    What a monster for a game of the last century. How many instances of uo would you like to run.
    Does the atomic research center know that you are using their hardware to play uo?
    .. Just kidding, but I don't have a clue except this monster is overpowered.
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    Not sure if this is the case or not with the Ultima Online Enhanced Client executable, just saying that I recall something like that sometimes to get mentioned when older software is wanted to be run on newer, much faster machines (I see that your rig also has a RTX 2080 Ti....).

When I was customizing code for e-commerce, I found this to be the case with an old package (MerchantSpace) as opposed to the new package (ElasticPath), particularly with memory alloction and dumps. When I tinkered with game programming in Java, I also noticed differences with older versions of software on varying hardware configs.

When I ran VM and set up a "dumber" instance of Windows, I got the software to run well. Forgetting that I was in the VM, I loaded UO and realized it ran better there than on the rig's root config. I think has to do with how memory is dumped (memory leaks) in the code vs how memory is handled overall in a newer OS.

Since then, I keep a frankenstein rig to compare UO instances with the latest gaming rig I own (I prefer Alienware with custom graphics cards for playing Diablo and ESO). I also play games that will NOT play on newer hardware (Populous specifically, Black & White is another title, as well as Spore). I've found the older rig performs better with UO (EC, and especially CC). Note, I do not regularly play EC, but find that sometimes I have to.

Currently, I run UO's CC and EC on a hardwired (meaning no RAM or graphics upgrades are possible - you know, those $200 Walmart specials LOL!) netbook with the game itself sitting on an external tera-drive. It makes no sense to set up my regular rig as I'm traveling a lot lately. Yes, even the EC runs (altho have to lower graphic capabilities in the settings). 

Try setting up one of your older rigs (you know your stuff, so I assume you have some older equipment) and run some benchmark tests when running various things - I think you may find interesting results.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I"ve had this issue one time and it was more than likely due to too many instances of the EC running. A reboot fixed it and it hasn't happened since.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.