Scalis revamp

JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
edited July 2019 in General Discussions
So I'm hearing Scalis is going to be revamped?

Anyone can tell what the problem with this encounter is? The soul forge too cool? The loot too good? The open groups on sundays having too much fun? :s

The public net throws on sundays are pretty popular and so are the soul forge and the loot. Or are the devs just changing stuff for the sake of change again? What do they want to improve?

Or is it just a rumor? If not, would be great to have some discussion up front this time, so they dont waste time going back and forth like on the t-maps again.
  1. Do you think Scalis even needs to be revamped?15 votes
    1. Yes
      26.67%
    2. No
      73.33%
Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)

Comments

• ArronArron Posts: 485
    I do not do it enough to answer this question. I have done it a few times. I have not heard anything about this either official or rumor. I will wait to hear from the development team before I start to speculate. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    the most recent newsletter says

for Charbydis they are going to provide "additional means of acquiring bait & the Oracle of the Sea, and enhancing the loot drops"

Corgul and Scalis… adding additional items to their loot drops 

• JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    edited July 2019
    They said in the past that better loot only can come with greater effort/risk. Would be suprised if they just add more items but don't change the encounter. Makes me worried though, after we have seen the "improved" loot on high level tmaps (many items were cut from the loot tables completely).
    they are also going to change the loot in MIBs, which they didn't get to in the last publish.
    this next publish is also about anniversary gifts, Halloween content, new rewards for huntmasters challenge.

so I don't really expect them to change Scalis & Corgul too much. Charbydis is currently hard to do cause of the current rate of getting the bait from the fishers quests. so they are giving us better odds of getting them. 

not to mention what they want to do with giving us different looks on popular artifacts...
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    From now on I will shudder and weep when I read they are gonna improve something...
  • Giving additional  means to get Oracle and baits..why?  That should kill the fishmonger quest for good. Nothing else is worth the effort  as it is now. Why not instead make the crustaceans easier and cheaper to get and shrink the orders some? Put in some extra rewards and a reason to become a legendary fisher? T-hunting has nothing to do with HS for what I can remember..It just took away alot of time from fixing HS.  Charybdis loot needs a major upgrade..  Corgul could need some new loot ok , But Scalis? Only thing I could think of there (even if I dont mind some new items) is there are too many wasted nets to summon him. And too random. I remember my guild wasting so many precious nets it felt like a loss even if we got a scalis at the end.  Hehe do I dare after this to ask for water tiles as loot? :#
    One of my biggest fears is that the devs don't know most Scalis are done at docks, not on ships, but will redesign the whole encounter to take place on ships  :#

I hope they have a look at the feedback here.
    with the Scalis coming up on the docks...
    I'd hate to see it come up on a ship!!!

And I agree @Minerva_Foxglove it takes way too many nets to pull it up
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    JollyJade said:
    One of my biggest fears is that the devs don't know most Scalis are done at docks, not on ships, but will redesign the whole encounter to take place on ships  :#

I hope they have a look at the feedback here.
    oh god NO I hope they do not make it a requirement to do from boats
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    JollyJade said:
    So I'm hearing Scalis is going to be revamped?

Yes.  That has been the plan for a long time. 

Scalis just needs fewer nets.  If you can solo it then you deserve what you get.

Corgul needs the encounter easier to get the bait and oracle.

Then if they want to add more drop loot that is fine.  We do not need to use the old skills from the beginning.  Just remove Camping etc.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • VioletViolet Posts: 368
    JollyJade said:

Or is it just a rumor? If not, would be great to have some discussion up front this time, so they dont waste time going back and forth like on the t-maps again.
    You realize there was an upfront discussion on treasure hunting where many people gave suggestions on how to improve it and they took some of those suggestions to develop the new system.

Pawain said:
    Those are two different encounters.
  • FreelsyFreelsy Posts: 70
    Have faith! They did a great job with the live implementation of the T-Map revamp. Everyone is quite happy. There was a lot of testing and feedback and the devs listened. I Imagine MIBs will follow a similar path.

I'm excited!

• ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    Totally agree with what Minerva Foxglove said!!

Violet said:
    Pawain said:
    Those are two different encounters.

Oops.  I I'll change that to Finding Corgul is fine the way it is.  Just add new items so more groups will go.

Ill stay away from the Oracle since others don't want that easier.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    "T-hunting has nothing to do with HS for what I can remember..It just took away alot of time from fixing HS."

Yes! All I want is for my crab traps to stack when I empty them!
  • Ah yes remember the backpack full of traps in both directions hiding everything else in classic! 

I dont think the oracle and even the baits should be this hard to get, But instead of giving another way to get them , making fish monger quests even more pointless, I suggest making the trades less cumbersome so we could do more of them would be a better idea. Like improve lobster fishing . Cheaper traps that lasts longer  and gives only named lobsters and crabs would help. Shorter the time for the bob-ing a little. Make the other rewards worth something , like atleast working as intended and the baits to actually catch the fish they are ment for. Maybe add something new..like water tiles you can walk on and in different shapes for edges o:)
    I second the water tiles.  Waterfalls also.  More Dock Deco. Animated water deco. As common loot then add some special loot.
  • I like that as long as we can walk on it. It would take time to get all pieces you wanted but trading with others we could make fantastic deco!
  • WhispererWhisperer Posts: 40
    Arron said:
    I do not do it enough to answer this question. I have done it a few times. I have not heard anything about this either official or rumor. I will wait to hear from the development team before I start to speculate. 
    Are you a Dev?  no. then why do you need to answer.  What a waste of time.  You stated in a previous post about blocking or ignoring people, this is a classic example of hypocrisy right here. I guess you are after +1 post count as you contributed nothing to the question and you are not required to answer. Please stop posting pointless answers to genuine questions.
    edited July 2019
    Violet said:
    JollyJade said:

You realize there was an upfront discussion on treasure hunting where many people gave suggestions on how to improve it and they took some of those suggestions to develop the new system.
    Unfortunately my impression was we only discussed changes *after* Kyronix implemented them and pushed them to TC1.

If they are going to cut Scalis loot down to 6 items per person, I can tell already they should not even start implementing it.
    If they are going to limit the number of people to at tops what a party can fit, they should not start implementing it.
    If they are going to require being on a ship ...
    If they are going to make camping a requirement ...

That's what I mean with up front. Once the revamp is implemented and pushed to TC1, it's only cosmetics but no way to stop the overall thing.

Some posters pointed out that white nets are a pain to aquire. I understand that. Beyond that I don't see much problems with the encounter. I hope they just up the spawn rates on white nets and don't overengineer a dozen of problems into this encouter that never existed.

There is no other freely accessible encounter in UO that draws such a crowd in the open world. Sure, there must be a lot wrong with it.

If this thread makes them reconsider at least one of their ideas before implementing it, I call it a success.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    It will be overthought.  Bank on it
  • NikardNikard Posts: 164
    I would wager the reason they want to revamp it, is related to it missing the mark on what they intended originally, which was more of a boss which you could and (should) want to battle on your boat. In his current state fighting scalis from any type of a ship is basically suicide.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Whisperer said:
    Arron said:
    Are you a Dev?  no. then why do you need to answer.  What a waste of time.  You stated in a previous post about blocking or ignoring people, this is a classic example of hypocrisy right here. I guess you are after +1 post count as you contributed nothing to the question and you are not required to answer. Please stop posting pointless answers to genuine questions.
    Are you a DEV?  I guess what you said to @Arron would apply to you also then. Please stop posting pointless answers to genuine questions. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Without publish notes to provide concrete information this thread is just speculation and soul-sapping negativity.
This discussion has been closed.