HACKED!!

edited March 2018 in General Discussions
Back in early 2000 I was a dedicated UO player for six years, back when there was only Britain and Felucca I worked my but off for millions in gold and tons of Artifacts from that it put me on the fast track of selling stuff at auction.. Anyways fast track to now, after years of not playing I decided to come back thinking with all the stuff I had it wouldn't be so hard to transition into everything new (Keep in mind my account isn't updated to w/e new expansion is out today) well was I ever wrong, I login only to find out my account had been hacked all the gold,artifacts,vet gifts..basically anything that was worth was stolen and my best character was completely stripped bag and bank empty. I know there is nothing that can be done about it. I just never thought I would see the day. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, I've tried going to old hunting grounds to try to get things that I need like armor and gold to rebuild but all of them are dropping stuff I can't even use unless I buy the new expansion. I know no one cares just wanted to post it..

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited March 2018
    were you the original account owner or did you give your account info to anybody or was your computer comprised?
  • Yes I am the original account owner and not a soul had access to my account info, that I know of.. I did have to go through the whole getting my login info changed due to the original e-mail addy had been shut-down.. I can't even begin to think how or why it happened.. I thought hackers loved WOW accounts not UO accounts..
  • SableSable Posts: 239
    edited March 2018
    Getting hacked sucks and I'm sorry for that.  To be honest, most of your old adventuring gear would be outdated now and you'd probably wind up changing it if you did.  You would miss out on a ton of points for clean up and gold for rares you might have.  Then there are the veteran rewards, if those got stolen as well.  Nevertheless, for actually hunting, there are usually those who can help get you set up with new suits.  What shard do you play?  If it is Pacific, I'll see what I can do to help.  Finally, your accounts will be upgraded to Stygian Abyss for free when the next publish goes live.
  • Lake Superior and a very tiny bit on Great Lakes, I had two runes in one of my books, the first one said "Hacker R Every Holy F*ck!" and one too a house that one of my characters apparently co-owns now and guess which character was on the friends list.. lol  the one who was stripped of everything lol
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 490
    Not sure about gear, but did you check to make sure your gold wasn't just in your new gold balance? Gold is now just a number and not really a physical thing in your bank.  
  • Yea i checked the bank with the bank actions only shows I have now a total of 752,233
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,047
    Yea i checked the bank with the bank actions only shows I have now a total of 752,233

You still have your skills. Make a tamer and come to the Luna stables.  Introduce yourself in chat.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    I'm on Pacific myself.  if you ever decide to visit Pac, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.  Hopefully the Lake Superior folks will see this and rally to help.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    Pawain said:
    Yea i checked the bank with the bank actions only shows I have now a total of 752,233

You still have your skills. Make a tamer and come to the Luna stables.  Introduce yourself in chat.

Stop pushing your taming addiction on others!!  :)  LOL
    If he don't want to make a tamer and have fun, then you can have him for the evil things you do in Fel.
  • Lady_StormLady_Storm Posts: 400

First off my condolence on the loss of your things...

A few years back there was a flurry of "Fishing" for information  done to get into accounts.. they used bits and pieces to drag more from the CS people.  They had no idea that it was being done. Each phone call got them more bits, as they played the poor lost customer who cant remember their password.. The CS gave them hints..  This was found out and reported to the Dev who had a cow with CS to the point that the CS no longer handles account issues. 

You my friend must have been one of those poor devils that got hit.

All they needed was a idea of an account name.. the password fishing did the rest..

You can rebuild..

• The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    I can hook you up with some basic stuff if you need it on LS.  Just ask for the Higgs in gen chat.  I have loads of stuff in boxes I don't use as far as suits and weps and books.
  • I firmly believe I remember EA wiping characters on inactive accounts. It was a long time ago and I also came back to having everything in my bank wiped. I doubt you were hacked and this was done years ago intentionally I assume to save some server space.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
    How long was your break?  I have accounts that have not been active since 2003 which I have reactivated and found all items still in the bank and on the characters.
  • DavoDavo Posts: 46

I had chars full of stuff on a shard. then I would find out everything gone except gifts. many seem no to believe a person when this is talked about. devs say they don't deleted anything. *coughs*

someone got into your account or stuff got wiped

No Accounts were ever wiped.. by being inactive.  The only wipes I have ever herd of was to major perma banned holders for extreme infractions. 
    I should have clarified in my post that I had heard of returning players with characters wiped of items.  It just never happened to my inactive accounts and we were never sure why it happened to others.  Every Return to Britannia, I made sure to hop on all my old accounts and characters to check their status.
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    When I reactivated my account I guess everything I bothered to save was still on it, I know I had tons of stuff in my house and pretty sure some things like house deeds and mini models were saved in my bank and now I only have like 2 models out of a full set.

I did find a bag full of ophidian stuff in one chars bank...lol
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    I firmly believe I remember EA wiping characters on inactive accounts. It was a long time ago and I also came back to having everything in my bank wiped. I doubt you were hacked and this was done years ago intentionally I assume to save some server space.
       A couple of years back I activated 2 old accounts that had not a a lot on them basic armor, a few K gold and stuff from the Haven paladin quest when I let them go dormant.   Upon reactivating the accounts the characters had NOTHING on them or in their banks and were standing naked where I logged them out.   So yeah I am with you in the belief that some accounts were wiped, while others were not.

• Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    edited March 2018
    No Accounts were ever wiped.. by being inactive.  The only wipes I have ever herd of was to major perma banned holders for extreme infractions. 

I know it happened. I just can't prove it. It was around or before the very first clean up campaign ever. I've been digging around the web on some really old sites (broken toys/Lum the Mad) and nothing yet, but if I can prove it I will :) We usually get the things we need and I need this lol. The characters remained but the stuff was wiped. I was thinking it was just bank boxes but it could have been wearables also.
  • Ok from October 31, 2001 "In Testing" (I'm getting closer)....

Now in testing for next update:

Character data takes up a great deal of space on the servers. Many players have multiple characters that they do not play (characters made for one-time events, made during their regular shard downtime, etc.). Purging characters that are not being used will result in shorter backups, decreasing shard down time and increasing overall performance.

Design
    Characters are deleted after not having been used for 6 months unless:

� The character has over 750 total skill points.
    � Characters at or below 750 total skill points will need to be "refreshed".
    � Refreshing is defined as logging a character in and then logging out. Logging in a character will reset the six month timer. Characters will be deleted after not having been refreshed (logged in) for a year, regardless of skill points.

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited March 2018
    Maybe it depends by the Shards on which the Chars were/are? I just reopened 2 accounts, with Chars mainly on Europa, that were closed from around 2007/2008, and all the stuff I remember having, both in BB and on the Chars, was still there.
    Before that, I suspended playing from around 2000 to 2006, and the one account that I already had in 2000 was untouched when I came back in 2006.
    The only things that got lost in both cases have been, obviously, the houses... :'( :)
    I.
    Ok from October 31, 2001 "In Testing" (I'm getting closer)....

Character data takes up a great deal of space on the servers. Many players have multiple characters that they do not play (characters made for one-time events, made during their regular shard downtime, etc.). Purging characters that are not being used will result in shorter backups, decreasing shard down time and increasing overall performance.

Design

� Refreshing is defined as logging a character in and then logging out. Logging in a character will reset the six month timer. Characters will be deleted after not having been refreshed (logged in) for a year, regardless of skill points.

That didnt make it into the game.  I was gone longer than that amount of time during that time and all my toons are still there and the junk they had in the bank.  I have old ones that have 25 str that were made when the stats started really low.

People are returning often on LS and their stuff is intact.
    Ok from October 31, 2001 "In Testing" (I'm getting closer)....

Design

How could a char have 750 skill when max is 720

I also remember I think it was Wilki that said no chars were intentionally wiped. OOPS I do remember them saying something about chars with like 240 skill that wasn't used could be wiped to save space.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 490
    I typed out a few messages before responding here... At first I was going to claim victim to a wipe too, but then I remembered that I'm prone to deleting characters and trying to quit UO, so... That's more likely.
  • I never asserted that characters were wiped. This post was from a site I'm not allowed to link to, lol. But I imagine one could use the information as a search. I know my very old accounts came back empty also and weren't hacked. I do think some weirdness happened around 2001ish. The 750 thing had me confused also. I'm just quoting and I' not interested in chasing that rabbit right now. Perhaps the idea was pulled at the last second but I do remember an email warning people it would happen if we didn't resubscribe or whatever. Still searching in my spare time .
    March 2000 UOR
    March 2001 UO 3rd Dawn with new client and Ilshenar land mass
    Bad LAGGGGGGGG Still running on old UO Servers 
    They could have wiped data and some chars got caught up in it.
    I left after T2A and returned when SE came out.  All my toons were in Fel all my runes were fel and all my equipment had stats instead of names and AR2.  Still had all toons and junk in bank.  I doubt my main toon had 700 skill points.  I hated skilling then also.

As I said before and you can ask Mesanna too if you don't take my word for it.  UO never came to the point that they wiped any in good standing accounts out even for inactivity,  I do know of a handful of accounts that belonged to players over the years including just recently, players who did multi digressions against UO and the rules.

What id ask first is:

Does/did any other know or play on your account?  Is it possible a friend or guild mate might have known your account name, it only took a small bit of real info back in the day to fish out the rest of an account.

Is it possible that you have forgotten an action the last time you logged in that might be the reason for the loss... many back in my Counselor days we traced to short returns that player got mad and gave away all they had or threw it away striped chars and logged thinking never to return.

If you were not the original account holder/creator  is it possible the original reclaimed the account and after a while did as above and then quit .

See there are a lot of reasons things can go missing... now if it was on a bug id say a revert might have happened and you were off the bug..   or if the account was not opened for a Long time could it be you died and didn't get your body and no item insurance?

This discussion has been closed.