T-maps

With the exception of the room in Doom, I have been unable to get a map to spawn on a corpse on any of the other places I used to farm.

Was the drop rate drastically lowered or is there a problem?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    3 T Rex and no maps.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    Pawain said:
    3 T Rex and no maps.

So I'm not the only one that noticed. Patch notes say maps will spawn as usual but obviously something changed or happened.

Well I don't know what is normal in Eodon but there are dead dinos all over and not 1 map so far.

I did roughly 40 hiryus, 25 rune beetles, 5 yamandons, 25 fan dancers, 50+ ancient wyrms and a couple demons/balrons not a single map dropped.

I did notice either a stealth bump in loot or luck. I'm getting some really decent pieces now.

I finally got an Artisan Cache from a Dime. :(  

Eodon maps will not be flooding the market.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    edited June 2019
    Urge said:

With the exception of the room in Doom, I have been unable to get a map to spawn on a corpse on any of the other places I used to farm.

It changed about 1 month before this publish, ever since they went into phase 2 at least of testing, I have been pvming and farming in Felucca.

I've spent hours and hours in Felucca, farming Wind blood ellies, Ice dungeon white wyrms, Hythloth and Blackthorns balrons. All of these used to give me maps at say 1 every 45 minutes. (I can 1-2 shot bloods and wyrms, and take ballies down fast with tamer, so it is not down to my speed of kills).

I was trying to collect lvl 5 Felucca t-maps which would convert into lvl 3 new maps that i'd be able to solo in theory...

I did not get a single Felucca lvl 5 tmap, and I spent hours/days/weeks farming. Because I was going mad in guildchat, my guildmate did some farming and got a map in 45 minutes....

Then I was completely unable to get one again.

The only way I've been able to get Felucca maps is Miasma, I don't see any problem with the drop rate on Miasma, but Felucca was broken, unless they've fixed it in the publish, I've not logged in for 2 weeks now, work been so busy.

So yes, I personally think there is a problem.

• ChrilleChrille Posts: 209
    Cookie for fel lvl 5 maps/ new cache maps you can always hit wisp dungeon second lvl and farm the dark wisps.

They  can all drop a paragon chest with a cache map in it.

It will be any facet though but spawn rate is ok if you move around.
    Cookie said:
    Urge said:

The only way I've been able to get Felucca maps is Miasma, I don't see any problem with the drop rate on Miasma, but Felucca was broken, unless they've fixed it in the publish, I've not logged in for 2 weeks now, work been so busy.

So yes, I personally think there is a problem.

Yeah chests are unchanged. The guardian room in Doom is unchanged and heavily farmed. Everything and everywhere else seems broken.

• FortisFortis Posts: 410
    i still get tmaps like before
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,120Dev
    edited June 2019
    No changes related to the drop rates of treasure maps have been made in the current publish.  Any aberrant behavior is either an issue of perception (things tend to few changes when we are focusing on them more so than before) or a bug.  If you feel there is an issue please send in a bug report though so we can investigate.
    Kyronix said:
    (things tend to few changes when we are focusing on them more so than before)

Tbh I don't complete maps.

I farm things that give cleanup points. Maps are one of those.

• KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    edited June 2019
    FYI: I play only the CC - so all commentary is based on this one fact.

Instead of changing my main template, I decided to tweak my bard into a t-hunter - so am doing all the stash maps I have with her... (by the by this is REALLY fun for a new t-hunter).

Gotta say, out of the 10+ stash maps in Trammel I did last night, I got 7 Supply maps, 3 blue scrolls, and a whole lot of refinement supplies (did mostly Artisan and Warrior).

Did a couple of Mage chests, and I like the reg bag! If I read the patch notes right, there are different reg bags for each facet? (must collect!)

The character is an uncapped Bard/Mage (still in training) with mid-range skills in her primary set. I went to NPCs and bought up t-hunting skills to an average of 37 (Cart, LP, RT). Any newb t-hunter will have fun solo-ing the Stash maps to work up skill as the gains are almost constant. I also bought (omg so expensive for a newb!) training kits for RT - as much as I dislike the puzzles, I did some of the Mastermind-style one and the gains are pretty steady.

Then I decided to try this with my main girl (Kirthag - scrolled out Paladin) with no skill in Cart/RT/LP; she took some skeleton keys. Went after Cache chests in Tokuno - mostly Warrior. (Sorry, did Cache, not Supply).
    FINDING the spot to dig is a PITA! Did eventually find it (yes, gotta be RIGHT on the money with it) and the spawn was expected, much like encountered on TC. Picking the lock was not terribly easy, but when that grubber spawns, the chest unlocks so am alright with it. The RT part takes forever though... cycled through so much spawn almost gave up the first chest - but it finally succeeded. Loot was per what I experienced on TC (not gonna go retyping all that). If I do any more chests with my main toon, will just use regular lockpicks and tempt that grubber out. Is easy enough to kill him without all sorts of other chest-spawn around. So  proof - no need to spend ANY skill points on...

Cartography
    • someone else needs to decode the map
    • make sure to get actual map coordinates
    • carry sextant to compare coordinates
    • gotta hit the chest's location accurately when digging up
    Lockpicking
    • don't waste skeleton keys, just use normal lockpicks
    • let grubber spawn and kill it 
    • grubber grabs random
    Remove Trap
    • definitely be prepared to heal constantly
    • using bandies/casting is a good method
    • pure casters MUST have LMC gear as this step is a huge mana dump fest
    • stay alive
    • running from lich lords suxxors - resist the urge
    Overall Soloing
    • during the remove trap stage, the mana dump is huge - cannot express this enough
    • provoking spawn is fun!
    • Melee templates are advised that if more than one LL spawns, run like hell >.<
    If having it so ANYONE can do a treasure map - mission accomplished! The Stash maps are excellent for newb. Cache is a bit more challenging (damn LLs!) but enough so is fun for solo play. 

Found it interesting that sometimes cannot remove loot from the chests - is like the items have a timer on them for removal. No message on them, just cannot pick them up. I waited a bit, then could pick them it. Is not a constant thing, just every now and again.

About the only thing I could wish for so far is that once a map is decoded, should be able to read the Long/Lat of the map itself without having to use the Locker. Just my small pet peeve. I write the coordinates down and organize the multiple maps in my pack so I know which I'm working on at the moment, but still think a display upon roll-over of the map would be nice.

Thanks dev team. Am finding t-hunting engaging enough to actually dedicate a character to it for soloing. 21 years, and finally doing it myself instead of being an assist/tank within a group.

And one more thing.... I have a whole lot of these in my two Lockers now :

Not skilled enough to try and read these yet, but other maps not decoded show their coordinates. Are these the maps mentioned here (https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/treasure-maps/) as "Inaccessible Chests"? 

If so... @Kyronix
    1. Do I have to decode before they will recycle with new coordinates?
    2. OR, are these maps "bad" and if so, how can I replace them?

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    Those are Cache maps, it just means the character you're looking with doesn't have enough skill to read them. Stash maps can be read with little to no skill
    Inaccessble chests are usually ones that someone has built a house over :D, wait 30 days and they will re-set with a new location
    edited June 2019
    Those are Cache maps, it just means the character you're looking with doesn't have enough skill to read them. Stash maps can be read with little to no skill
    Yep, Cache - got that. :)

Was just a sampling page I shared - several Supply maps are also showing up like that. Had already decoded all the level 1 maps prior to patch as I worked up skill with them. 

Prior to patch everything in the Lockers showed their coordinates, decoded or not. Is how I would plan my adventures for the evening.

It makes sense Petra - not arguing, just sharing what am experiencing. So perhaps the patch fixed this for me and it was buggy prior?

Will work up the Carto and see what happens. 
    *update*
    You're right @Petra_Fyde

once i hit the upper skill levels, the rough coordinates appeared. Thanks for the explanation. 
    :)
    Kyronix said:
    No changes related to the drop rates of treasure maps have been made in the current publish.  Any aberrant behavior is either an issue of perception (things tend to few changes when we are focusing on them more so than before) or a bug.  If you feel there is an issue please send in a bug report though so we can investigate.

I figured there was no change.  But others are killing dark whisps and getting them.  Most things in Eodon are way above a dark whisp and most things in Tram or Malas or Ilsh. 

6 T rex should get a map.  I got none.  Killed things over and over for hours.  I only got 2 maps.

T-Rex, Allosaurus and Dimes could use a bump.  Average player spends more than 10 mins killing one.

Thanks

Or are they supposed to be as rare as getting a para chest from a Paragon?
    edited June 2019
    Pawain dark wisps give chests like misima which guarantees a map. 

I have yet to get any mob to drop a map that is listed to drop as "special loot". 

Maybe Petra can help test and confirm this?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,792
    Raptors in Ter Mur could use a bump in their map drop rate.  175 raptors and only 1 map out of the lot.
    Another question...

<- from wiki ->
    A read (blessed) treasure map, if not dug up within 30 days, will re-set becoming again ‘tattered’. When read this map will show a new, different, location on the same facet.
    </ from wiki />

So, the location gets changed after 30 days. Does this mean the type/level stays the same as well as the facet?

Also, if that is the case, then can we get some sorting (not filtering) features on the Davie's Locker on the following columns of the gump?
    Facet, Level, Status

Going through 500 maps in a Locker is a pain (and I have 2 Lockers). Getting new maps all the time, I'd like to keep them somewhat organized. 

:)

Thanks!

*ps, did i mention i'm enjoying this immensely?
    Kirthag said:

Not to sound rude but can you enjoy it in another thread until we figure out if we have a bug? 

Or maybe help contribute to testing? 
  • MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    Kirthag said:
    So, the location gets changed after 30 days. Does this mean the type/level stays the same as well as the facet?
    Kyronix answered a while back that only the location changes when the map resets. Theme, level, and facet will stay the same.
    edited June 2019
    Urge said:
    Kirthag said:

Not to sound rude but can you enjoy it in another thread until we figure out if we have a bug? 

@Urge, I think there's a bug too.  I did a lot of hunting on Sonoma and Origin before the publish went live to those shards and the map drop rate seemed very low. I think I got 4 Supply level maps on Sonoma out of about 8 hours of hunting in a place where nearly everything should have been dropping them.  It's the same dungeon location I hunted for maps for the anniversary event about two years ago.  I still have about 30 unread maps from doing that which were left over after doing the event, and I didn't spend nearly as much time then as I have now trying to get maps. Lately, about the only thing I've found that drops supply maps, although the drop rate is still very very slow compared to what it was for that event, are water elementals.  

It's unfortunate we're doing another event that requires getting maps and yet now, when it's called a mini-event so we really don't know how long it is going to last, it's difficult to get more maps.  Something has changed and not in a good way.
    Urge said:
    Kirthag said:

Not taken as rude. I just didn't get around to hunting at that point in time.

Just did some in Ilshenar as I am lacking maps there. The efreets gave me 2 Cache maps and 3 paragon chests, one with a map inside. That after about an hour's worth of hunting them, that feels right to me.  So then I went after the Blood Eles, and after a wee bit of time, got another Cache map. No time to farm Balron right now as gottta boogie.

IMO the drops seem fine. I just think everyone  and their brother thinks the dinos drop more, and they don't really. Also, if you are hunting on ATL, so are a whole lot of other people that just might skew the drop rate for the individual. I'm on Pac, and the map drops all seem to be okay to me so far. And I do look for maps as most times I sell them - just now I'll be digging them up. 
    ;)

Later will go looking for those higher level maps.

@Margrette
    Thanks. I must have missed that somewhere. I'll relay info to others who were asking as well.
    Kirthag said:
    Urge said:
    Kirthag said:

Not taken as rude. I just didn't get around to hunting at that point in time.

Just did some in Ilshenar as I am lacking maps there. The efreets gave me 2 Cache maps and 3 paragon chests, one with a map inside. That after about an hour's worth of hunting them, that feels right to me.  So then I went after the Blood Eles, and after a wee bit of time, got another Cache map. No time to farm Balron right now as gottta boogie.
    That's interesting. I put a rough estimate of what I did yesterday earlier in the thread. No maps. I'll hit it hard tomorrow and go from there.
  • Made my very first treasure hunter built up before the publish hit. I only play the classic client , but i find the maps to be very difficult to find with no locker and i really dont want to have to rely on any 3rd party help but after 2 days trying to dig up a level one map using nothing but the plain ordinary classic client im growing discouraged. 14 year old laptop on xp so the enhanced unicorn sparkle turd is not a option. 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,679
     but i find the maps to be very difficult to find with no locker
    have you asked on your shard if there is a public locker to use?
    On my home shard there is one set up at our rune library.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited June 2019
    For what it may be worth to know, the drop rate on treasure maps has always been very low which is why I never had the patience to directly farm them. I have not noticed any change in the things I farm, but there is only one critter I farm for non-paragon, non-guaranteed maps. I go for the more assured methods:

Doom Guardians (level 1 or 2 Malas map on every single corpse)

Zippy subquest in Vesper that has a level 2 Fel map every single time.

Vile Drakes in The Balcony in Shadowguard have the same abysmally low map drop rate as all other maps, but you get 2 drakes for each character you bring to the room and you can ring that bell every minute or so, which makes for reliable farming. They drop level 2 Ter Mur maps.

Ilsh Wisp Dungeon (decent paragon chest drop rate on the red-named wisps, containing level 3 random map)

Miasma in Labyrinth (decent drop rate on paragon chests, containing level 4 random maps)

Each treasure chest has a chance to drop a map for one level higher, and many of the chest guardians have potential map drops as well. You can milk a chest's spawn by moving a pile of gold around inside the gem bag without removing it. (I am tempted to call this bug, but you could move things around in a chest before so maybe it is intended?)

There are other ways of obtaining maps, these are just my go-to methods.
  • Yes I asked in general chat but at the time I can play not a lot of people are on and the ones who were were to busy talking about how awesome at PvP they were and how they would perform coitus to eachothers mother's or skulls , between that and the avatar guy constantly spamming I just stopped asking people for help and I hate having to rely on other people the last nice person who helped me disappeared and their house went idoc and the locker that was in their house is undoubtably owned by Avatar now just like everything else so I thought I would voice my frustration with the size of the in game classic map.don't get me wrong there are a lot of nice and helpful people that I have encountered over the many years that I have played this game however there seems to be far less than there used to be compared to the current environment. 
    @Kalaniim_Viaxus, check your messages please.
    Great info.  But none of you are looking for Eodon maps.  So, you have nothing to compare your go to methods to.