why is copy name able ? I not Agree with

prahapraha Posts: 167
edited May 2019 in General Discussions
Some one copy my name on europe " PRAHA " and blame people with it.
plz fix this should not be able to do.

I do not want a ban cause off them
and I do not want losse frind cause off them
fix plz

There Can Be Only One
The Glorious Lord Praha Baron of Britain "Europa player"
" Guild name " Pro newbies Guild
*guild for new players*
Streamer :    https://www.twitch.tv/julespraha/

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,339
    I'm sorry PRAHA they can't fix that one. To make names exclusive should have been done when the game was new, but no one knew it would be important then.
    Many of us have had our names copied. Smiths at Brit Forge before repair deeds had their names copied by people who stole weapons and armour by pretending to be them offering repairs.
    I had my name copied by someone who used it to script mine and try to make it seem I was a scripter.
    Lots of traders had their names copied by scammers
    All you can do is make your name special through your guild title and tag or some other way they can't copy.

Your friends will know the difference. The game will know the difference, you notice the number that is by your name in general chat? the game knows you by that.
  • prahapraha Posts: 167
    edited May 2019
    I do not want a BAN Cause  off like this.
    Blame people with my name ? and I get kick out ? plz no deal

Ah I just see, Every Talk chat in Game have a nr ,
    ehe......
    There Can Be Only One
    *guild for new players*
    There Can Be Only One
    *guild for new players*
  • I wish you could change your name with the thief disguise kit. I could have made so much money over the years. Also, being able to use copy names used to allow us to create multiple characters for different skills before soulstones.

And for us thieves, we would create duplicate characters that weren't in the thieves guild so we could give people without forensics murder counts...lol...la
    were are the daém Good GM'S From 2001... to Kick some out.. with no manners 

There Can Be Only One
    *guild for new players*
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    22 years of names coming and going it would be impossible to have no duplicates. 
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    Only allowing a name to be used once would mean your characters name would be something like John Smith 345.  :(
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,209
    Tim said:
    Only allowing a name to be used once would mean your characters name would be something like John Smith 345.  :(
    And people could still pretend to be the OP. They would only have a string of unsightly numbers behind the name.
  • HermioneHermione Posts: 51
    it is something they could introduce if they made a new shard that did not accept transfers like Siege. Wasn't there talk of a new fel shard coming?
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    Just use a guild tag, problem solved.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,050
    If you are lonely. You can come stalk me!  >:)
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Filipjules, don't be upset its happened to me. Its happened to my sister, Jirel of Joiry. My sister is shall we say notorious in UO and why on God's good green earth anyone would want to impersonate her in game is beyond me.  Well, they did and it didn't end well for the impersonator.  We play Legends its a small shard so most anyone who's been there a while knows Jirel.  Don't sweat it.  The GMs won't ban you because like someone pointed out earlier you are identified in their system by a number so they know its not you.   Hey, just point out over general how lame-o the guy that he can even come up with an original name and copied yours.  Most of the players that do that crap they just get their kicks from griefing players.  I had one of them tell me the more people he griefed and caused to quit the more IDOCs for him.  Just keep your up, have fun with UO and never ever let the turkey get to you.  ((((HUG))))  :)
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    — I, personally, am grateful that names can be duplicated. I have four accounts - and 21 of my 24 character slots are named “Jennifer-Marie”.

[[No, it is not difficult at all to know which character I am logging into.]]

And yes, people have tried to create fake Jennifer-Marie’s with the intent to fool people on my home shard that they are me, but I speak in gen chat enough - and have enough acquaintances and friends - that people know immediately the fakers aren’t me.

[[Three different people I can name off the top of my head have attempted this in the past twelve months alone.]]

For me, it keeps things simple. On a decent day that I’m active in game, I’ll switch between characters enough while having conversations in game that having all of my playable toons named the same just cuts out the whole “Oh, this is me btw ... switched toons” rigmarole.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    — And to the OP: you don’t need to worry about getting banned for the actions or words of another player with the same name. Pages for harassment or violations of TOS, and the resulting temporary or permanent account bans, are account specific - not name specific.

Anyone paging on a harassing player has to target the player specifically or type their Gen Chat ID #, which lets the Dev Team know which account to go after. So as long as you’re not doing anything to get paged on, you’ll be fine.

Just sit back and let the griefers and trolls get what they deserve.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]