Slayer Talismans and Mage Templates ...

JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
edited May 2019 in General Discussions
-- So ... I've been told (a few times by the same person) that Slayer Talismans don't work on Mage Templates, only on Melee Templates.

Is this true?

If so, then why? Mages need the Slayer property just as much as Samps do ...

~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779

It is true.  But for mages you would want slayers on spell books anyway because they also have properties useful to mages.  For example I have a full set of slayer spell books with all but 4 having SDI at or above 25. You will not get SDI on a slayer talisman.  To find a slayer spell books using Vendor Search use item name 'slayer' and Casting / Spell Damage Increase 15.

• JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    — there are slayers you can’t get on spellbooks unless you’re extremely lucky or have a shit ton of gold to buy from someone who was lucky.

Vermin Slayer, for instance. That is where a mage getting the benefit of the sayer property on talismans come in handy.

Also, my Samp has a full set of slayer weapons AND can use the slayer property on a talisman. So why should it be any different for a mage holding a spell book?
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
    — Either the devs need to change the rules so mage templates can benefit from the slayer property on a talisman OR they need to update inscription so spellbooks can be crafted with slayers like Vermin, Bird, Bovine, Goblin, Flame, etc.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    If a Warrior class can have a slayer wep and a slayer tally count then a mage/tamer/bard class should have the same ability, book plus tally 
    Bilbo said:
    If a Warrior class can have a slayer wep and a slayer tally count then a mage/tamer/bard class should have the same ability, book plus tally 
    `` ... ^^^ ... thank you. :)
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• FreelsyFreelsy Posts: 70
    /agree
  • ArronArron Posts: 485
    I approve of this Idea. <span>:smiley:</span>
  • Also, my Samp has a full set of slayer weapons AND can use the slayer property on a talisman. So why should it be any different for a mage holding a spell book?
    Dexxers cap out at 300% Damage Increase in PvM. Casters have no damage cap in PvM. A Super Slayer is +100% Damage, a Lesser Slayer is +200% Damage.
    Death Ray damage would be absolutely insane (more than it already is) if Talisman Slayers also applied to spells.
  • LynkLynk Posts: 185
    Is there such a thing as a vermin slayer spellbook?
    edited May 2019
    Lynk said:
    Is there such a thing as a vermin slayer spellbook?
    — Yes. I’m not sure if it’s from the 20th anniversary arc or the Khaldun arc (I’m thinking Khaldun, since it was mentioned those Cadellite Tomes would be available for a chance in every slayer?) but there is *one*.

I was able to get a Bovine and Bird slayer from the Khaldun arc ... plus the normal super slayers.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

Dexxers cap out at 300% Damage Increase in PvM. Casters have no damage cap in PvM. A Super Slayer is +100% Damage, a Lesser Slayer is +200% Damage.
    Death Ray damage would be absolutely insane (more than it already is) if Talisman Slayers also applied to spells.
    — The answer to this is simple: cap mage damage in PvM or allow mages more slayer opportunities on spellbooks.

It’s like the TamerMage issue: talismans and spellbooks do absolutely NOTHING for pet damage increase. And as a person who uses her tamer frequently enough, I believe pets should act as slayers for tamers. A Tsuki Wolf should naturally do a little bit more damage against Lady m than a Cu would: because Tsuki Wolves are abyssal monsters, opposite to Fey.

I use my Samp, NecroMage, and Tamer the most. Out of those three? I usually opt for my Samp whenever possible because of the damage output and stackability of weapons & talismans. Mages and Tamers need something to change to give them a slight boost in PvM to compete.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    To add to @JenniferMarie allow us to imbue spell books
    Bilbo said:
    To add to @ JenniferMarie allow us to imbue spell books
    — Yes, something akin to imbuing with spellbooks, though maybe not exactly imbuing.

I absolutely love Inscription ... it was the first skill I ever trained in UO when I started playing in 2006. I still enjoy spending 8-12 hours every so often just working inscription. So I would be ecstatic to see some changes to that skill.

Perhaps adding a new level to the skill: like ... once reaching GM level, a scribe could unlock an imbuing type aspect of inscription that would allow us to enhance MODs on a spellbook or perhaps making it so the MODs aren’t random but we can choose them using the property weight model from imbuing coupled with imbuing mats.

Maybe a new inscription type pen that would be a bitch to craft, but allows that ability to control MODs and MOD levels and could only used by GM scribes.

and a talisman with Inscription bonus would be required to make the success rate decent.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

— Also ... I’m really gonna need the Devs to give us some kind of option to fill a spellbook without dragging and dropping 64 times ... 

i keep 1k+ of all spell scrolls on hand at all times (for magery, necromancy, and mysticism) so if they could give us an option in the inscription menu to fill a book from a container of scrolls ... that would be amazing.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

• SlissSliss Posts: 282
    Also, my Samp has a full set of slayer weapons AND can use the slayer property on a talisman. So why should it be any different for a mage holding a spell book?
    Dexxers can also gain HP as a function of doing damage. Casters have to stop and heal/lose aggro, which makes their sustained DPS much lower.
    Vermin Slayer, for instance. That is where a mage getting the benefit of the sayer property on talismans come in handy.
    While I agree that talisman slayers should apply to spells, Vermin is probably not that useful. Slayers do not affect the best AoE spells such as Wither and Essence of Wind. So they are of limited use in say clearing the Barracoon spawn.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    My vermin slayer spell book does wonders on the vermin clans in the abyss.  Most die when hit with chain lightning.
    Sliss said:

While I agree that talisman slayers should apply to spells, Vermin is probably not that useful. Slayers do not affect the best AoE spells such as Wither and Essence of Wind. So they are of limited use in say clearing the Barracoon spawn.
    — True. But a Vermin Slayer property would do wonders on Piper when he’s in rat form and the mage is using Magery Mastery III Death Ray without interruption.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

TimSt said:
    My vermin slayer spell book does wonders on the vermin clans in the abyss.  Most die when hit with chain lightning.
    Slayers do work for AoEs in which the damage diminishes with the number of mobs, such as Lightning.
  • HermioneHermione Posts: 51
    edited May 2019
    Sliss said:
    TimSt said:
    Slayers do work for AoEs in which the damage diminishes with the number of mobs, such as Lightning.
    Slayer spellbooks do work on chain lightning, meteor swarm, hail storm, nether cyclone. It is spellweaving and necro that they don’t work for.