Cylinder Puzzle on Test Center- Colorblindness

DizzyDizzy Posts: 78

Just as I feared, I won't be able to solve this puzzle due to colorblindness.

I know through trial and error that I have 5 of the right colors, 2 in the right slots, but I can't figure out which is which.

If the colors on the sides are numbered this way:
1  5
2  6
3  7
4  8

Then #3 and #6 look identical to me.  #4 and #8 look identical to me.  #2 and #7 are almost alike to me.

Any chance you can use something else?  Shapes?  Letters?  Some sort of help so I can solve this?

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    #4 and #8 are the same to me.  Also Red Green colorblind.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    Actually your numbers are a good solution, Dizzy. If numbers were assigned alongside the colors, 1 through 8, you could use the numbers to solve the puzzle instead of the colors. 
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    ZekeTerra said:
    Or how about removing the pucking fuzzles...
    Looked to me like Dizzy was looking for a way to solve the puzzles. Not get rid of them. 
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    I'm with Zeke
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,109Dev
    Dizzy said:

I know through trial and error that I have 5 of the right colors, 2 in the right slots, but I can't figure out which is which.

1  5
    2  6
    3  7
    4  8

Then #3 and #6 look identical to me.  #4 and #8 look identical to me.  #2 and #7 are almost alike to me.

Any chance you can use something else?  Shapes?  Letters?  Some sort of help so I can solve this?
    Improving accessibility for color-blindness is something we strive to do for every feature we can.   This isn't something that only we struggle with, but the industry as a whole (colors are something game devs love to use in mechanics).  If the puzzle traps end up sticking around we will come up with some ways to improve accessibility for them.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    Thanks, @Kyronix .

The puzzles seem well thought out, and for training remove trap, they might be fun.  And I would oppose them in dungeon chests.

But on treasure chests?  Sometimes I'm dealing with non-guardians, like endlessly spawning revenant lions or rune beetles or onis.  I don't really want to spend 5 minutes trying to solve a puzzle with monster spawn all around.

But if they do remain, being able to solve them is important, and I'll just have to throw up my hands on the cylinder puzzles.  Colorblindness beats me every time.

My wife said once, after I mismatched some clothing, "oh dear, it must be stressful, living in a colorblind world."  I responded, "No, in my world, everything matches.  You're the one all stressed out."
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited May 2019
    LilyGrace said:
    Actually your numbers are a good solution, Dizzy. If numbers were assigned alongside the colors, 1 through 8, you could use the numbers to solve the puzzle instead of the colors. 
    Kyronix said:
    Dizzy said:

1  5
    2  6
    3  7
    4  8

"Improving accessibility for color-blindness is something we strive to do for every feature we can.   This isn't something that only we struggle with, but the industry as a whole (colors are something game devs love to use in mechanics).  If the puzzle traps end up sticking around we will come up with some ways to improve accessibility for them.  Thanks for the feedback!"

@Kyronix

I would suggest making it as an option though, to use either one as preferred by the player.

Personally, I feel more familiar with using colors rather then letters.

I can more visually tackle colors rather the associate letters so, I'd rather do the puzzles with colors then with letters or numbers.

So, I think it should just be an OPTIONS' setting in the UO Options Menu where one selects whether theit Puzzles they want them to do them with Letters/Numbers OR Colors.

This way, each player would be able to set their preference....