Focus what is it good for??

Seriously.   Sis and I both have chars that have had this skill and stoned it.  I have been told its useless and then told that you need it on on Pure Paladins and Sampire/Whammy chars.   Well serious someone tell me what its good for and which chars can and can't use.

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    I run Focus/Med on my Mystic/Mage but none of my Pallies have it.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Bilbo said:
    I run Focus/Med on my Mystic/Mage but none of my Pallies have it.
    What is the logical reasoning for this different treatment to your Mystic/Mage and your Paladin(s)?

Also, may I ask why you mention Paladins as a plural ?

Do they differ in some things ? Why ?
    Thanks.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    For warriors focus is their equivelant of meditation, for mystics it is the equivelant of evaluate intelligence.

TY @Mariah
    Mariah said:
    For warriors focus is their equivelant of meditation, for mystics it is the equivelant of evaluate intelligence.

@Mariah ; @Bilbo

"I run Focus/Med on my Mystic/Mage but none of my Pallies have it."

Paladins are not Warriors ?

Why would they then not need Focus ?

Also, 1 Paladin is not enough ?
    What is the point of having several ?
    edited May 2019
    @popps    OMG What do you think a Paladin is and what game are you playing.  Go to TC and create a new char and select paladin and see what you get.  Please stop posting before you do some research and how many different warrior classes do you think there are in UO, I know of 5 pure warrior classes but we already know that you don't know what they are.  Do you even bother to look at links that people post for you?
  • Luc_of_LegendsLuc_of_Legends Posts: 312
    edited May 2019
    Thank you everyone.  Now that I understand what to do with Focus.    Next question I am retooling a char that started life as a Macer-Archer, then I dumped archery to turn him into a Sampire/Whammy char.  Should I put focus on his template...The proposed Template is 120 Bush, 120 Macing, 120 Parry, 100 Tactics, 100 anatomy, then 60 Chiv, IDK Necro, then I was thinking focus, or resist spells or healing.  I though it'd be cool make this char useful again. 

IMHO Focus on any warrior built is a waste of a skill. I do not have the Bush but I do have Resist and Heal.  Mace/sword/Fence toe to toe unless I am taking massive damage then my Stam is not affected so I do not need the Stam regen and if I am taking massive damage then I bit off more than I can chew and get the hell out of dodge.
    edited May 2019
    Bilbo said:
    @ popps    OMG What do you think a Paladin is and what game are you playing.  Go to TC and create a new char and select paladin and see what you get.  Please stop posting before you do some research and how many different warrior classes do you think there are in UO, I know of 5 pure warrior classes but we already know that you don't know what they are.  Do you even bother to look at links that people post for you?
    " OMG What do you think a Paladin is and what game are you playing."

I had always known that Paladins WERE Warriors....

"These noble warriors hail from Trinsic, in the warm southern reaches of Britannia."

"Paladins are noble warriors that use holy powers to help defend against, and combat, their foes. The Paladin is one who strives to help others and follows the paths of virtue."

@Mariah ;  could you please kindly clarify to me whether Paladins are or not Warriors in the World of Ultima Online ?

Thank you so much.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    A paladin is a warrior with chivalry skill, obviously.
    I don't usually post guesses and opinions, but I would guess a paladin who has no need of focus skill has sufficient mana regen for casting chivalry spells from armor pieces that have that property.
    popps said:
    @ Mariah  @ Bilbo

popps said:

You sure could have fooled me with your stupid remark.  This is your typical posting style, making a stupid statement and then putting a ? with it like you think the person that you quoted said that well guess what I never said Pallies were not Warriors and you wounder why people get so mad at you everytime.  Stop trying to put words in peoples mouths.  Now I will await your typical BLAH BLAH BLAH remark.
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    Focus gives 1 mr per 20 skill points where med gives 1 per 10. Joat is included. 

Which I choose depends if I have extra space and if my suit is medable or not. 
    Focus also gives Stam regen.
  • Bilbo said:
    popps said:
    @ Mariah  @ Bilbo

popps said:

You sure could have fooled me with your stupid remark.  This is your typical posting style, making a stupid statement and then putting a ? with it like you think the person that you quoted said that well guess what I never said Pallies were not Warriors and you wounder why people get so mad at you everytime.  Stop trying to put words in peoples mouths.  Now I will await your typical BLAH BLAH BLAH remark.
    Calm down. These idiotic fights are what drive new players and casual players away from the game. Drop the condescension and try to have an adult conversation with people. I do not care if the person made an ignorant or incorrect comment. You are incredibly out of line and this kind of behavior is the bane of online communities.
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    edited May 2020
    B)
    every 10 Focus is 1 SR (stamina regen)
    every 20 Focus is 1 MR (mana regen)
    Also Focus (or Imbuing if higher) is the buff skill for Mysticism, just as Eval Int is for Magery.

Considering it is fully functional with non-meddable armor, the skill is far from useless.  Any character can make use of it, although pure warriors (no chiv, bushido, or ninjitsu) won't need it for anything else than quicker mana recovery from special moves and quicker stamina recovery.

It is actually a bad skill for Necromancers, because above 30 or so (25 for Gargoyles), it unfocuses the build, and Horrific Beast can no longer cast.  Of course this is moot if the build is already unfocused by another spellbook, taming, bard skills, and/or parry.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • cp0892933cp0892933 Posts: 3
    Curious in a mystic build, do both meditation and focus stack their mana regeneration?
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    @cp0892933 As long as every piece of armor you are wearing is meddable, yes.  Doing so is normal for most magical builds, so it should not be too much of a problem.  However, if you are wearing non-meddable armor, then only Focus will b active.

Mystics can choose to only have Meditate, but then they will need to have high Imbuing skill, which is its alternative buff skill. With neither, Mysticism in general will be quite weak, like using offensive Magery without Eval Int.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • LacrimaLacrima Posts: 20
    I returned back after 15 years of break and focus for warrior is still useless. If you look around noone would suggest you a skill template with focus inside for warriors.

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2020
    Lacrima said:
    I returned back after 15 years of break and focus for warrior is still useless. If you look around noone would suggest you a skill template with focus inside for warriors.

This is actually no longer true. 

Even mages now will use focus:
    non medable armor has an additional lower mana cost bonus, this is hidden from returning players because uo thinks you're worthless and doesn't value your custom. 

Non medable armor provides lower mana cost (with the exception of woodland armor). Each piece of armor up to five pieces will provide a percentage which is not subject to the lower mana cost cap of 40. The armor pieces which provide the most lower mana cost will take priority.

1. Platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor provides 1% of lower mana cost per piece.
    2. Studded leather, hide armor, stone armor and bone armor provides 3% of lower mana cost per piece.

Also, non medable armor can be refined. https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/crafting/armor-refinement/
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

edited August 2020
    thank you for this clarification. But look at my character for example: she is 110 swords, 110 tactics, 110 anatomy, 100 healing, 90 res spell, 89 parrying, 60 chivalry (res spell, parring, chivalry are growing up). Why should I put in focus? I know this could seem a useless template for modern UO but I want to make again experience before creating an hybrid character. 

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    Lacrima said:
    thank you for this clarification. But look at my character for example: she is 110 swords, 110 tactics, 110 anatomy, 100 healing, 90 res spell, 89 parrying, 60 chivalry (res spell, parring, chivalry are growing up). Why should I put in focus? I know this could seem a useless template for modern UO but I want to make again experience before creating an hybrid character. 

1. I can't see a good reason to add Focus to that specific template. 100% Hit Mana Leech weapons will return far more mana than Focus. Full studded/bone type armors will allow you to get to 55% Lower Mana Cost and chain specials almost constantly. Full metal armor will prevent more Stamina loss than Focus will ever return. Armor & weapon combos will probably vary depending on encounter and personal playstyle.

2. Your character is hardly useless. If you can find someone to x-heal with, you're golden, even at 6x100 1x120.

For solo, you could take all those skills to 120, then swap healing/resist as needed by encounter using Soulstones. Or, if you can find the gear, go 7x120.

With or without Healing, you can use 100% Hit Life Leech Weapons, 4/6 casting with Chiv, and potions for heals. Get you're timing down and you might be surprised what you can fight.

-Arroth
    edited August 2020
    1. I can't see a good reason to add Focus to that specific template. 100% Hit Mana Leech weapons will return far more mana than Focus. Full studded/bone type armors will allow you to get to 55% Lower Mana Cost and chain specials almost constantly. Full metal armor will prevent more Stamina loss than Focus will ever return. Armor & weapon combos will probably vary depending on encounter and personal playstyle.

2. Your character is hardly useless. If you can find someone to x-heal with, you're golden, even at 6x100 1x120.

For solo, you could take all those skills to 120, then swap healing/resist as needed by encounter using Soulstones. Or, if you can find the gear, go 7x120.

With or without Healing, you can use 100% Hit Life Leech Weapons, 4/6 casting with Chiv, and potions for heals. Get you're timing down and you might be surprised what you can fight.

Thank you for answering and thanks for your suggestions :)
    Yes I know several good people who told me ways to 120 but I'm not ready yet to go find them. 
    I didn't understand what you mean with get your timing down, sorry maybe it's my fault because I'm not English mother language :) 
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2020
    Lacrima said:
    I didn't understand what you mean with get your timing down, sorry maybe it's my fault because I'm not English mother language :) 
    I just meant to choose wisely when and how you heal. You don't want to drink a potion at the wrong time while you're applying a bandage, or you may find yourself injured, waiting on the next bandage to apply and not yet able to drink another potion, etc.  
    -Arroth
    oh you are right for sure, thank you.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    Despite the official skill page calling it the “Warrior’s Meditation Skill”, I do not use Focus on any Melee fighters and have never heard of anyone with a good template that uses this on a Melee fighter.   They do not belong on Sampires, Paladins etc.  If you're a Paladin, you should have some type of Leach on your weapon for mana and you can use Divine Fury to boost Stamina.  There are much better ways to spend your skill points.  I would strongly recommend against using Focus on a Melee Fighter. 

I have Focus on my characters that have Mysticism for the obvious reason that it influences damage output.  Beyond that, I have a Wraith Archer that puts a premium on mana regeneration so I have a small amount of Focus skill points (40) in there, noting that this is generally a specialty template I only use for a small handful of encounters.   Those aside, I typically only use this skill on my characters while they're training and turn the arrow down once it hits GM.   
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    edited November 2020
    Focus is important for maintaining stamina. You can keep full stamina by other means without Focus through the use of the right equipment that has Stamina Increase and Regeneration, weapons with Stamina Leech and as a Paladin, using Divine Fury. Although the following picture I show is of my Sampire, my Paladin Archer is suited up very closely the same. He spends most of his time at sea, having started life as a fisherman. 120 Fishing is soul stoned for 120 Healing when fighting pirates and beacons. He has 120 Anatomy, Chivalry, Archery, Tactics, Healing and Resist Magic when not fishing and instead is fighting orcs, pirates and others. My Focus is stored away because this set up seems to ensure I do not need it. My bows at sea have life and mana leech, slayer property, full swing speed increase, and damage increase. Only when I am hit do I lose some stamina, but it is acceptable. If fighting on land and not at range on my ship, I will replace my bows with those that have Stamina Leech as opposed to Life Leech. Of course, this is my luxury as an old player that began the game as a crafter. I can make what my warriors need to specification without Focus. If I couldn't there is that time when you need it on you. Make sense?

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited November 2020
    In short, I opine that Focus is only useful for Mystics. Every weapon should have mana and stamina leech as standard. Life leech will depend on template.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • AkishkaAkishka Posts: 2
    Bilbo said:
    popps said:
    @ Mariah  @ Bilbo

popps said:

Calm down. These idiotic fights are what drive new players and casual players away from the game. Drop the condescension and try to have an adult conversation with people. I do not care if the person made an ignorant or incorrect comment. You are incredibly out of line and this kind of behavior is the bane of online communities.

• AkishkaAkishka Posts: 2
    Bilbo I have been reading a few of your comments in regards to what people say, and I am concerned of your rough behaviour and unfair words. We are all different in how we communicate, however I see no need to be unkind. If I wasn't thick skinned, I would not join the forums and post, I would be to scared to ask for help, or advice in fear of being bullied, I would like to enjoy the experience of such a classic game and I know I will need the help of many players, because I am a complete loveable NUB. I once hear from a very beautiful lady "Be Kind, it is easy to be kind" Whether we are Male or Female, we can be kind, and strive to be patient with others.
     :D