Classic or enhanced client

Which client do you prefer the classic or the enhanced ? Classic looks best to me but enhanced is so much easier to use .
How do you join the general chat on classic?
Thanks
  1. Which client do you prefer44 votes
    1. Classic
      63.64%
    2. Enhanced
      36.36%

Comments

• FaerylFaeryl Posts: 273
    I use Classic exclusively, though I've been having trouble with major lag for a few years now which makes it hard to do certain things.

Hit chat in the menu bar in Classic, and it will open to let you select to join, leave, or create a channel. Once you join a channel, simply hit the comma key and it'll switch to global chat
  • Ok I might give the classic client another go , ty!
  • Is it possible to resize the Main window on classic client ?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,050
    Yes Options, eyeball, scroll down
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,936
    Which client do you prefer the classic or the enhanced ? Classic looks best to me but enhanced is so much easier to use .
    How do you join the general chat on classic?
    Thanks
    Actually, I find the Enhanced Client way more difficult then the Classic one...

I never liked the looks of it and, so, I remained with the Classic Client...

But I wished I could get to like the Enhanced Client because, especially with Pinco's UI, it is infinitely much better as the Classic Client...

I just wished that the Classic Client could get something like Pinco's UI... that would be amazing...
  • Intresting , what is Pinco’s Ui ? I like Classic just because it looks more oldschool i guess .
    i miss the easy to use menus tho and especially the friendlist wich is missing from Classic.
    The map is another Nice feature it Almost feels like cheating when you have the whole map of Brittania showing you exaxtly where you are even without a sextant .

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Intresting , what is Pinco’s Ui ? I like Classic just because it looks more oldschool i guess .
    i miss the easy to use menus tho and especially the friendlist wich is missing from Classic.
    The map is another Nice feature it Almost feels like cheating when you have the whole map of Brittania showing you exaxtly where you are even without a sextant .

The friends list, known officially as Global Chat, is possible in Classic Client, you can find the information on it here: https://uo.com/wiki/global-chat/

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2019
    It used to be that you would have a massive advantage with EC if you played a warrior but now you can dress and arm on classic client just as easy.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RoIxkirDqhs
    So i now say to people to just play what you think looks better. But if you do treasure hunting you have to use EC as there is no grid view container in CC. With regards to the map on both clients, normally if you join a guild they will require you to download UOCartographer and that will be your map. 
    Pinco’s UI is an EC interface that gives you lots of handy extras, including a cheat script to negate blood oath, it has a feature to auto sort loot in a container so the high intensity items are shown first, this is a real timesaver for Treasure Hunting chests. The UI is a little buggy in my experience (last week even)
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• DukarloDukarlo Posts: 50
    I prefer theCC. It just plays better. The gripe I have is that in 20 plus years they never really invested in the interface for it. UO assist is a nice program but with all the other 3rd party crap people use and the EC interface features it seems a bit obsolete. I always felt that if they had kept up and made the CC interface modern they could have avoided a lot of issues. The EC to me feels clunky and I'm not willing to sacrifice playability for a few extra abilities. 
  • Captain_LuckyCaptain_Lucky Posts: 556
    I've always loved the CC for the way it looks. The EC also seems to have lag issues for many people. The EC certainly has more features, and if you can tolerate the way it looks, and the lag issues don't effect you, that might be the way to go. I will always be a CC user though.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited May 2019
    The map Mervyn (UOCartographer) has limited uses as does the map in the EC so if you are looking for a map that you can put lots of locations in UOAutoMap will be needed and you will need to run UOAssist (no seed required if it is only for UOAM) to get it to work.  EC has the better interface, IMHO, but CC has the better graphics, IMHO.  I really do not care what client anybody uses just as long as they play UO.  If they would allow the CC Graphics and UOAM in the EC I would give it another try.  House decorating is also a problem in the EC from what I understand but sorting/arranging container contents is hard to beat the EC with grid layout.

Bottom line is play whatever client bests fits your needs for your play style.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,793
    EC because the graphics look better to me and all of the gumps are easier to read in the EC then in the CC.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited May 2019
    TimSt said:
    EC because the graphics look better to me and all of the gumps are easier to read in the EC then in the CC.
    To the OP this is why you need to try both clients, some like the EC and others like the CC so you need to try both and see which one bests fits your play style.  TimSt good example why you like the EC.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I use the EC because I can't stand the muddle in my backpack or having to line up all those little icons, it makes me crazy as I need to have a straight line. Also I need less clicking as the mouse makes my hand sore.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited May 2019
    EC certainly has some bugs and flaws, but so does CC. EC has higher system requirements, and can be laggy on some older machines or PCs without a proper gaming video card. EC is a serious pain in the rear to get set up, because the defaults are truly horrendous. However, I like EC because I play other MMOs and they all have a grid pack and hotbar setup for icons. I know people like the ''old school'' feel of the classic client, but I am coming from later games and to me CC feels awkward, clunky, and very difficult to use in comparison.

I mean no disrespect to the classic client of UO, and I do not insult people who use it. However, these are the biggest reasons that I prefer EC:

The grid containers allow me to sort everything exactly the way I want, without different sized items overlapping. I can put seldom used things like runebooks and snowballs at the bottom of my main pack and never look at them because their icons are on a hotbar. An artifact pack drop, or something traded to me, is not going to drop underneath anything and force me to start moving things around to find it and have to reorganize later. Ever. Containers in my house or bank don't have to have a bunch of smaller containers just so that I can find things. (However, EC does have a classic backpack option for those who like that. There is even an easy macro to switch container views back and forth.)

I like being able to drag runebooks, ethy mount, deco tool, bandages, and various other tools and resources to a hotbar so that I never have to rummage around in my pack looking for them. I like that abilities and stats can be put on a simple hotbar in a nice neat row for me to always be able to keep track of without having to sacrifice my healthbar. EC's macro system has a lot more options.

The fully resizable playscreen, most windows, and the ability to zoom in and out is pretty much a necessity to me. The EC map shows my coords, it shows the location of party members, and is very very nice for t-maps and especially SOS. There is no large world map in CC like the other MMOs I play, and the game screen feels very small even at its largest setting. CC feels like the game is right up in my face with a very limited range of visibility, which severely limits my situational awareness. This image is zoomed out to max (with some random NPC bars so you can see how I place health bars). The play screen can be expanded to cover the entire monitor so you can see even more, but this is enough for me and I don't like my windows to overlap on the play field. I can zoom in when I want to, like when I am in a player house chit chatting and I want to see all the little details.

These are just some very basic pros for EC without taking into account a lot of other things and also other additions like Pinco's.

As for the graphics, I think that is just what you get used to. Both clients have pros and cons in terms of art and I can enjoy them both on their own terms. However, overall, I prefer the art and animations of EC. But even if I preferred CC art... it just would not be enough for me to sacrifice everything else that EC has to offer once you get it set up properly.

I know a lot of people are always saying things like "They need to update CC! They need to do this, or that, to make it better!" But I think people forget that it is a 20 year old interface. The code was written by different people with different thought process and almost no notes left behind. Changing it is not only difficult, but very risky. MMO coding has come a long way since UO paved the way, and it was WAY easier to just start fresh with an entirely new client - which is exactly what happened.

To me it is like some one driving a 79 Chevy Impala and complaining because it doesn't have fuel injection. There are some things I think can and should be upgraded for CC, just like swapping out an 8 track player for something a bit more contemporary, but I think there are limits. Classic cars have their advantages, including appearance to some folks, but if you want modern conveniences then you are just going to have to get a modern car.
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    edited May 2019
    I also forgot to mention the journal, which is crucial to me.

EC journal is 100% legible at all times, no matter what colors other players choose. I have seen the ''legible'' setting for CC, but the alternating black and blue text without any ability to differentiate channels would drive me insane.

EC global chat, which is built directly into the journal, has no comparison to CC.
  • Ezekiel_ZaneEzekiel_Zane Posts: 326
    edited May 2019

I don't know a whole lot about programming art.  I do know though that it baffles me why the EC looks worse than the CC as far as the in game graphics, mostly the world and the in the backpack stuff.

I also know that redoing the art work is and would be extremely time consuming but it's long overdue.  They should have had someone working on this diligently over the years.

I prefer to play the EC but it's shocking how much sharper, clearer and just down-right better looking everything is in the CC.  I know there's some formula you can enter into your character's profile but even then it's still not as sharp.  I also thought they fixed it so that pressing the * key would set the optimal zoom.  Well that doesn't seem to work.  I continuously have to adjust it.  I do so using some crates that are stacked in my house and I increase or decrease the zoom until the lines of the crates are straight.  Even then though, the overall graphics don't look as clear and sharp as in the CC.

If they would take the time to make the EC look as good as the CC, although honestly it should look better than, then a lot more players would use it.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,831
    edited May 2019
    @Ezekiel_Zane the optimal zoom is alt+* or ctrl+* can’t remember currently but I do know the binding is changeable in options. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    edited May 2019
    Each client has its pro and con list... for myself, I love the CC as the nostalgia factor is very high. I also like the transparency feature better in the CC - EC just doesn't do it right. The UI could use some updating in the CC - but I don't think the dev team has that very high on the list. 

My two major factors in judging my ability to play anything....

Tech:
    The CC runs on older/smaller/lower configurations that the EC won't even boot on.

I am currently running UO on a Dell Inspiron 11-3186 with only 2GB RAM off of an external terabyte drive (yes, UO is installed on an external drive and runs nicely). This is my travel netbook (please notice, this is NOT a standard laptop - more like a glorified tablet). So, I can be out and about and get a wild hair to play UO - I jump on a hotspot and BAM! Checking mah vendors and mining and filling BODs. I even did some shopping in Luna while on a Grayhound bus riding across the country. Try that with the EC. ;)

You won't catch me doing any PVP on the netbook though... even with the CC. The game runs fine, but the netbook suddenly throttles the bandwidth and that is detrimental to PVP. Need a clean, solid pipe to the internet and a machine that responds faster than this little red Deadpool of a netbook.

I will note, UO is the ONLY game I've ever played on the road and it is simply because of this factor. That, in turn, is a major motivator in keeping my accounts alive. I haven't subbed my WoW account in over 3 years, and I've not played D3 for almost as long.

UO I keep alive.

Graphics:
    Some people hate the EC due to the low contrast and lighting effects - I'm one of them. I've tinkered and fudged those EC graphics settings till the cows came home and died - I still get migraines and vertigo. This is the second-biggest reason I don't play it.

The particle distribution on spells is impressive and pretty - but the isometric view does not lend well to fast play. Sitting around doing BoDs is about it, running around the land (as I tend to do) is a big fat NUH-UH. I did make a commitment to play the EC for a bit on my Alien rig - but I would get physically sick after an hour or so - hardly any "real" game time; not even enough time for a decent run through a dungeon.

I was told is most likely due to my monitor. Well, I (was) am a graphic designer by trade, and my monitors were calibrated for certain print profiles. I never had an issue with doing photoshop or color corrections with my monitors - the very same monitors that were used to play WoW and D3 - which I never had issues with. I also rendered 3D motion graphics for IMVU and SecondLife (which I did partake of for a while) and never felt queasy. Even doing SIMS online, and SimCity and Conquer (other isometric games) - I never had issues. Only the UO/EC client would make me sick.

I'm not going to argue that one is better than the other. I know BS (probably motivated by EA) has been wanting to get to a single client, but we all know that move would kill the game completely - too many subscriptions would be lost as a result. So we are unique in that aspect - the only game with 2 supported clients! So that's kinda a good thing and can be spun into some interesting marketing--- oh.... I'll stop there. There's no marketing at BS. My bad.

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,831
    Funny story. I can and do run UO CC on an old dell venue 8 tablet. Look it up. The tablet is also running windows 10  :D
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    i play Classic because its looks better.
  • KirthagKirthag Posts: 541
    edited May 2019
    Funny story. I can and do run UO CC on an old dell venue 8 tablet. Look it up. The tablet is also running windows 10  :D
    Kudos.... is that native - meaning out of the box with no upgrades?
    The Dell is running Windows 10 (what a hog) and is all hardwired, can't even put in a new hard drive or get more RAM into it - have been thinking to downgrade back to 7 or even Vista.... but then I remember why I bought it, so I keep it as-is. Is my travel companion - used for getting to the interwebs, checking mah feeds, and fighting with Office365.