Crafting changes

Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
edited April 2019 in General Discussions
@Kyronix

First, thank you for simplifying the cannon ammo crafting process, much smoother. Question though, it seems you didn't apply the same mechanics to other alchemy crafting. With 100% chance to make a greater heal potion, I can still only make them one at a time. Was there a reason why you didn't  give every craft a "make all" option ? I can't think why anyone would put 700 ginseng in their pack along with 100 bottles , and not want to make 100 greater heals. I "think" I understand the reasoning, perhaps someone has 100 bottles in their pack and more than 1 reagent, and they use up all of their bottles on one potion leaving them none for the others they may have intended to make, no biggie, just go into the crafting menu code and make use of the "Make max" which is only available under each individual items selection..pressing that button will make multiples in a single click...Viola !!.

Just curious
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• MilenaMilena Posts: 30
    edited April 2019
    We already have "Make max" which makes crafting so much easier.

Would you want to make 100 Greater Heals instantly? I don't agree. That would make crafting really boring and unreal. As a crafter I want to feel some kind of accomplishment. I can't produce 100 bottles in one second.

Would you also like to enter a dungeon and have a button to "Kill them all, and be done with it", since thats your purpose there?

How fun would a game like that be?
    Milena Cindell - Europa
  • Agree, I get some mild amusement how it is.  There are other QoL changes, making certain items stack, finding new uses for unused craftables, new recipes and crafted vs loot balances I'd much rather have the attention drawn to.

As Milena mentioned where does that time removal change end and what value does it bring.  Save you a bit of time in doing something you don't want to do?  Probably just shouldn't do it then.

Milena said:

Would you want to make 100 Greater Heals instantly? I don't agree. That would make crafting really boring and unreal. As a crafter I want to feel some kind of accomplishment. I can't produce 100 bottles in one second.

Would you also like to enter a dungeon and have a button to "Kill them all, and be done with it", since thats your purpose there?

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Milena said:

No, my purpose is to not click a button 100 times to make 100 items I have a 100% chance of making. Since you only have 5 posts here, I'm going to assume you're somewhat new still. Congratulations on the excitement you feel when you craft things.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • Milena said:

No, my purpose is to not click a button 100 times to make 100 items I have a 100% chance of making. Since you only have 5 posts here, I'm going to assume you're somewhat new still. Congratulations on the excitement you feel when you craft things.
    Yeah instant crafting for most items in the game, not hard to understand.  Not as hard as realizing some people enjoy monotonous things and that this game has existed a lot longer than this forum.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,338
    Milena said:

It has been several years since you had to click a button 100 times to make 100 items. You know this, as you mentioned the 'make max' button. I suppose logic dictates that you could make 100 bottles quantity in a larger mortar, but you'd still have to pour it into the bottles. 

Also you might want to re-think your assumption that a new poster is a new player. I happen to know Milena on Europa, she's no more 'new' than I am.
    If she's not new then she should already know that the previous crafting process for cannon ammunition was brutally tedious and that it was made less tedious and much faster, which is all I'm asking for when it comes to making batches of potions for daily use. I get no satisfaction or excitement from making greater heal potions, however I would have been thrilled if, when I put 100 empty bottles and 700 ginseng in my backpack, and clicked on Make Now, that I had received the expected 100 potions in my pack, the way I now expect to receive 100 fuses, when the necessary ingredients are in my pack, and the percentage chance to make equals 100%. Why I have to now discuss and or argue this point on the forums, is beyond me.

• TimTim Posts: 796
    If you don't want to take the time to make them yourself buy them from a player willing to spend the time. Nothing should take the same amount of time to make 100 as it takes to make 1 and the things that do should be changed.
  • If she's not new then she should already know that the previous crafting process for cannon ammunition was brutally tedious and that it was made less tedious and much faster, which is all I'm asking for when it comes to making batches of potions for daily use. I get no satisfaction or excitement from making greater heal potions, however I would have been thrilled if, when I put 100 empty bottles and 700 ginseng in my backpack, and clicked on Make Now, that I had received the expected 100 potions in my pack, the way I now expect to receive 100 fuses, when the necessary ingredients are in my pack, and the percentage chance to make equals 100%. Why I have to now discuss and or argue this point on the forums, is beyond me.
    — Um ... because you posted on the forums to begin with?

Meaning, it actually is open for discussion now that you made a public discussion about it.

There really is absolutely no need to be rude.

Many craftable items are made all at once with the “make max” option. Many others are still made one at a time - but if you choose the “make max” or “make number” options, it’s still just one click.

It seems your issue with the fact that potions are still made one at a time, even with those two options available to you, is that you have to wait a few extra seconds to reach your intended number of potions made.

Instant gratification is not always a good thing, nor is it universal.

Simple as that.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,679
    I don't think this is a priority...
    I'd much rather have a make all for inscription...
    but that's not about to happen.
  • I'm With Garth on this one, anything we craft, especially things that stack, should have this mechanic put in place. would make it a lot less tedious making pots, scrolls, any type of consumable.  something to put on the list of quality of life improvements. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

I'm With Garth on this one, anything we craft, especially things that stack, should have this mechanic put in place. would make it a lot less tedious making pots, scrolls, any type of consumable.  something to put on the list of quality of life improvements. 
    No its on the same line as I know I can take this boss so just give me the loot. 
  • Tim said:
    I'm With Garth on this one, anything we craft, especially things that stack, should have this mechanic put in place. would make it a lot less tedious making pots, scrolls, any type of consumable.  something to put on the list of quality of life improvements. 
    No its on the same line as I know I can take this boss so just give me the loot. 
    not even close.

• MelchiahMelchiah Posts: 42
    I’d hate to play devil’s advocate, but for those crafting skills that have items that stack - training them would become a complete walk in the park? Make Max combined with difficulty check on item production would make it even easier to macro the skills if one-click made everything. 
    Cooking can already be done that way by cooking stacks of fish steaks or similar; alchemy would be almost identical (weight restrictions aside) and could GM it in, I’ll wager, in less than an hour. 
    I do wish I could craft a full spell book without 64 drag and drops, but that’s a pipe dream and it’s taken 20 years without a QoL improvement...
    If Garth’s suggestion could be combined with a GM+ skill check I would support it - but otherwise it’s just UO in “Easy-Mode”.
    And to echo Petra’s point - Milena isn’t a new player by any stretch. She knows more about alchemy that me, and if post count echoes account age, apologies, but that’s as useful as a keg of lesser heals. In other words, complete rocking-horse dung. 
  • Melchiah said:
    I’d hate to play devil’s advocate, but for those crafting skills that have items that stack - training them would become a complete walk in the park? Make Max combined with difficulty check on item production would make it even easier to macro the skills if one-click made everything. 
    Cooking can already be done that way by cooking stacks of fish steaks or similar; alchemy would be almost identical (weight restrictions aside) and could GM it in, I’ll wager, in less than an hour. 
    I do wish I could craft a full spell book without 64 drag and drops, but that’s a pipe dream and it’s taken 20 years without a QoL improvement...
    If Garth’s suggestion could be combined with a GM+ skill check I would support it - but otherwise it’s just UO in “Easy-Mode”.
    And to echo Petra’s point - Milena isn’t a new player by any stretch. She knows more about alchemy that me, and if post count echoes account age, apologies, but that’s as useful as a keg of lesser heals. In other words, complete rocking-horse dung. 
    Look at Garth's Post again, the part where it says "with 100% chance to make" pretty sure you aren't going to gain on an item that you have 100% chance to make. there's fun and then there's tediously painful.  this is the reason things are scripted and UAM'D if i have the ability to 100% make it, let us instantly make as many as our pack will hold the resources for. 

It's never that simple.
    Your change would affect low end vending, Bods and problem a few things I can't think of at the moment. Also would that be 1 tool charge or 1 for each item made? 
  • not sure how it would change low end vending, and what difference does tool charges make? and Bods, what negative impact would happen to Bods?  

• Vendors why would anyone bother putting anything cartable on one (the market is small enough now)
    • Bods 7 seconds to fill a large rather the 10-15 min.

The only thing in the game with "value" is the time spent to obtain an item. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just think there will be unintended effects to your simple change.

Also the next step mining ? Once I find that vain I have a 100% chance of cleaning it out so just give it to me with one click?
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,830
    edited April 2019
    It wouldn't change what people vendor,  would probably increase stuff that is put on vendors as it reduces the pain in the ass to make them. 

Bods: it doesn't take 15 minutes now and it would still take more than 5 seconds to do them if this was added.

my time in real life is valuable.  less time making consumables and other things the better. means i get to spend more of my rare play time playing. I do enjoy crafting, just not sitting there watching something count to 100.  

Mining, Sure, i'll take that. anything to make it easier for someone who doesn't cheat/script 

• JenniferMarieJenniferMarie Posts: 286
    edited April 2019
    — This is purely a case of instant gratification and people not wanting to spend time in game crafting the items they want to use.

And to that I say: just buy it off of someone else or pay someone else who enjoys crafting to make it for you.

Most people who craft anything in game actually enjoy the crafting process. If you don’t? Then don’t craft.

Period.

The End.
    ~ Jennifer-Marie

"Insanity is a naturally occurring mutation; humanity has just managed to perfect it." -- JMK [[me]]
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    If I read correctly, they are just asking for the 100% chance items to be crafted at once. A reward for skilling and talisman finding.

I doubt the nay sayers love making the 20 exceptional Sushi Large Bod.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,120Dev
    The main reason why no other recipes were changed to "craft-all" was because they were outside the scope of the change.  We were specifically dealing with crafting cannon supplies, not anything else.  Changes beyond that would require some investigation, and thoughtfulness on the short and long term impacts they have to the world.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    IMHO if it were items that at GM lvl were 100% without any added tallies/ash/jewels I could go for the make all but to be very honest I am just so glad that they put in the make max and the fill BOD from container option that is this stays the way it is will not hurt me one bit.  It is just a little time saver that would help potion/scroll makes way more than smiths/carps/tailor/fletcher/cook
  • To the OP... some items maybe. But many items craftable in UO only have value cause they are a pain to make. I sell a lot of gate scrolls. Cause they take forever to make. Many don't want to spend the time on it. Things like that should be left alone so as to not make crafters any more useless. What you see as a pain is a living for many crafters.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
  • — This is purely a case of instant gratification and people not wanting to spend time in game crafting the items they want to use.

And to that I say: just buy it off of someone else or pay someone else who enjoys crafting to make it for you.

Most people who craft anything in game actually enjoy the crafting process. If you don’t? Then don’t craft.

Period.

The End.
    No instant gratification here, i have leveled 20 different crafting characters, i love to craft, what i don't love is watching it count to a number when i know how to make something 100% of the Time @Pawain ; nailed it. I have been crafting since the beginning and will continue to do so, if I want to voice an opinion i can and will. You can voice your opposition without the attitude.

• To the OP... some items maybe. But many items craftable in UO only have value cause they are a pain to make. I sell a lot of gate scrolls. Cause they take forever to make. Many don't want to spend the time on it. Things like that should be left alone so as to not make crafters any more useless. What you see as a pain is a living for many crafters.
    i am in agreement Cap, i don't think it is possible to get Gates to a 100% chance and i wouldn't want it added to them. i am simply advocating that things be looked at, they made the change for cannon crafting, i am asking that they look at other things to see if it could be done, when time allows. 

• Kyronix said:
    The main reason why no other recipes were changed to "craft-all" was because they were outside the scope of the change.  We were specifically dealing with crafting cannon supplies, not anything else.  Changes beyond that would require some investigation, and thoughtfulness on the short and long term impacts they have to the world.
    That's all we can do,  make a suggestion and hope for the best, thanks for the reply. and thank you again for the work the team put in on the Highs seas upgrades so far.

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,792
    To the OP... some items maybe. But many items craftable in UO only have value cause they are a pain to make. I sell a lot of gate scrolls. Cause they take forever to make. Many don't want to spend the time on it. Things like that should be left alone so as to not make crafters any more useless. What you see as a pain is a living for many crafters.
    i am in agreement Cap, i don't think it is possible to get Gates to a 100% chance and i wouldn't want it added to them. i am simply advocating that things be looked at, they made the change for cannon crafting, i am asking that they look at other things to see if it could be done, when time allows. 

Gate has 100% chance when you have Inscription 100 and Inscription Bonus 25%

Now that they've fixed the crafting macro actions it takes me about 30 minutes to make 100 gate scrolls.

If you read my post as asking for max gate scrolls to be made when they clearly require mana per scroll, you're over reaching your argument. It makes no sense whatsoever that any 100% chance to craft item made by tools and resources only, cant all be made at once. I'm not buying the "oh my gosh I love crafting and that's part of the enjoyment", guess what , YOU don't have to click on make all, you can still sit and make then one at a time to maximize your enjoyment of the crafting process.